[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a weekend mission for you /ck/ - jerusalem artichokes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10
I have a weekend mission for you /ck/ - jerusalem artichokes.

Go out and find some, and cook them however you like. I suggest roasting them along with a nice joint of meat for Sunday dinner, but simply boiling them works too. Just treat them like waxy potatoes. They're in season now, and they have a delicious, slightly sweet and nutty taste.
>>
Here's a simple recipe:
Scrub and cut in half.
Boil for ten minutes.
Toss in oil and salt and roast for 35 minutes at 200C / 400F / Gas 6.
>>
Just what I've always wanted: to pay $1 for a tuber the size of a large chestnut.
They're sold around here in packs of five (count'em: five) sunchokes for $5. The total weight is about a half pound. $10/lb for a subpar starch is fwarckin' stoopid, famfam.

Tacos are now sandwiches because Captcha.
>>
File: chips (800x534).jpg (235 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
chips (800x534).jpg
235 KB, 800x534
You can make soup and even chips with them. Just slice thinly and shallow fry in 180C / 350F oil.

But really, the easiest thing is to just throw them in the oven.
>>
File: jerusalemartichokes.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
jerusalemartichokes.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
I guarantee you won't regret it. Not only are they honestly quite tasty, but the following night you will experience nigh biblical flatulence.

Your bedclothes will achieve orbit, neighbours will call the police, children will gain new nightmares. It will become a story you are compelled to share with everyone you meet, hence my presence here today. I offer you a shot at glory /ck/, will you take it?
>>
I don't give a shit about the cost because I am not poor. It's just that kike chokes are actually not that great, and the flatulence isn't exactly something that gets me excited like for some of you people (cue that shitposter who posts the middle aged lady in her underwear).

Also they really should be called "sunchokes" until the civilized world can get around to glassing the middle east.
>>
>>7162092
>glassing the middle east
( Y ) [glass him]
>>
>>7162092
>native to north dakota
>kike chokes
lol
You do know that they're called "Jerusalem" artichokes because Americans are stupid, right?
See, French explorers in that area led by Acquitainian Samuel de Champlain were the first Europeans to discover them. In the Acquitainian dialect, which has considerable influence from Italian, the word for sunflower is "girasole," which is spelled identically to its Italian counterpart but pronounced a tad differently: in Italian, it's "gee-rah-soh-leh" but in Aquitainian, it's "gee-rah-zuu-luh." The standard French word is 'tournesol.' The plants, resembling sunflowers but tasting of artichoke, earned the name 'girasole artichaut.'
English speakers misunderstood the words as "Jerusalem artichokes."

Similar stuff happens all the time with Americans getting foreign names completely wrong.
For example, in the Mormon Wars, the lesser known civil war between the good and righteous East and the unholy, evil Mormon west, the United States attempted to fight on camelback in the dessert against the combined forces of the Mormons and the native Paiutes. Having little experience with camels, the government hired a man from Syria, Hadj Ali, to train the military and care for the camels. Of course, Americans misunderstood his name. His grave and monument reads "Hi Jolly."
>>
>>7162004
are you friggin' serious?
I live in NZ where everything is crazy expensive and I pay eight upside down dollars for a kilogram of jerusalem artichokes. That's something like three burgerbucks a pound.
>>
File: freethinker.jpg (58 KB, 557x711) Image search: [Google]
freethinker.jpg
58 KB, 557x711
>>7162113
You should have just called them "sunchokes" to begin with, faggot. Instead you got defensive and posted that tl;dr.
>>
>>7162123
>stop using words that scare me
>>>tumblr
>>
>>7162113
>camelback in the dessert
>Dessert
>Desert
>>
>>7162123
Wait, are you that guy who gets triggered by "aubergine"? God damn, get out of the house once in a while son.
>>
>>7162123
>muh cheesy gordita crunch
>>
File: euphoria.jpg (233 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
euphoria.jpg
233 KB, 500x500
>>7162145
>I can copy and paste out of wikipedia
>look mom they're scared by my superior intellect!
I wonder if your mom knows how badly she fucked up
>>
>>7162161
putting everything in """"quotes"""" guy detected, kill yourself
>>
>>7162121
Entirely serious. They're not supercommon where I live in Freedomland and I don't think they're particularly common anywhere in this country, but even the supermarkets catering more to working class sorts carry them and they're sold in baggies of five for $4.99. It's a goddamned travest, not that I particularly like them much to begin with.

>>7162123
I did use 'sunchoke' in the first place. I was the first to use the term ITT, actually. No one posted anything defensive. Well, until you did, anyway.
>>
>>7162169
>300 word freakout post
>b-but I'm not defensive!
Uh huh
>>
>>7162158
That's right. Dessert. They rode on camelback through malomars and baklava.

>>7162163
Find all that info on wikipedia for me. Go ahead. I'll even wait for you to edit the article.

>>7162167
He used them semi-correctly. Should've used apostrophes, but not too bad a fuck-up.

>>7162162
You shut your whore mouth. Dems shits be delicious.
>>
>>7162174
>that guy who replies to every single post in the whole fucking thread
All we need is the aussie LMAO shitposter and bbq king, and we have all the worst personalities of /ck/ in one big party
>>
>>7162170
What was being defended, Anon? I'd really like to know.

Also:
>classic "i know you are but what am i!!!" comeback
A garbageman.
>>
>>7162178
He's just an angry kike. Ignore his noserage.
>>
>>7162177
>spends enough time on a balinese shadowpuppet support group that he can identify every single anonymous poster
How sad for you. :-(
>>
>>7162178
>defensiveness intensifies
Now post about how you totally don't care (followed by more of your brain misfiring and compulsive typing about an unrelated matter) ^_^
>>
File: whocoulditbenow.gif (4 KB, 452x523) Image search: [Google]
whocoulditbenow.gif
4 KB, 452x523
>>7162186
How could possibly be behind this post?
>>
>>7162186
What's being defended?
>>
>>7162188
I think you got confused m8, I'm the one who wants the entire middle east turned to glass. Kikes included.
>>7162189
>I'm not being defensive *stamps feet*
Irony: the post
>>
File: tubs.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tubs.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>7162189
judging by the passion in this argument:
>muh cheesy gordita crunch
>>
>>7162195
Oh, you're right, my mistake.
>>7162189
Shut up kike.
>>
File: tips.png (1 MB, 1096x728) Image search: [Google]
tips.png
1 MB, 1096x728
>>7162198
A gordita (Spanish pronunciation: [ɡorˈðita]) in Mexican cuisine is a small cake made with masa and stuffed with cheese, meat or other fillings. It is similar to a pasty and to the Colombian/Venezuelan arepa. Gordita means "little fat one" in Spanish. A gordita is typically fried in a deep wok-shaped comal or baked on a regular comal.

A gordita is typically prepared as a thick tortilla. The dough is most commonly made of nixtamalized corn flour, as also used for tortillas, but can also be of wheat flour, particularly in northern Mexico close to the U.S border. An old variant of corn gorditas uses masa quebrada (broken dough) where the corn meal is coarsely ground, leaving bits of broken grain. Gorditas de migas is a version in which fried pork is mixed with the dough.

After cooking, the gordita is allowed to stand to drain excess grease. Then a slit is cut into one side and the gordita is stuffed with additional ingredients. These are usually guisados (meat stew) and salsa. Variations of the gordita include fillings of pork or chicken stew, shredded beef, chicharron, nopalitos, carne al pastor, beans, cheese, rajas (sautéed strips of chile), potatoes, eggs with chorizo sausage or picadillo. Gorditas are often eaten as a midday meal and accompanied by several types of salsas.

A classic gordita filling throughout Mexico is chicharrón con chile (a spiced stew of pork rind).
>>
>>7162001
Why does this look like a potato dish?
>>
>/ck/ tries to talk about food
>shitflinging everywhere
>/ck/ makes fun of fat people on Youtube who make/eat shitty food
>civilized, adult discussion
>>
>>7162208
That's not the Taco Bell recipe.
>>
>>7162216
>he doesn't know what nixtamalized means
Sorry if you're intimidated by my superiour intellect. Notice I used the British spelling of superiour. This is because I am smarter than you, as I will now demonstrate.

Maize was introduced to Europe by Christopher Columbus in the 15th century, being grown in Spain as early as 1498. Due to its high yields, it quickly spread through Europe, and later to Africa and India. Portuguese colonists grew maize in the Congo as early as 1560, and maize became, and remains, a major food crop in parts of Africa.

Adoption of the nixtamalization process did not accompany the grain to Europe and beyond, perhaps because the Europeans already had more efficient milling processes for hulling grain mechanically. Without alkaline processing, maize is a much less beneficial foodstuff, and malnutrition struck many areas where it became a dominant food crop. In the nineteenth century, pellagra epidemics were recorded in France, Italy, and Egypt, and kwashiorkor hit parts of Africa where maize had become a dietary staple.
>>
>>7162219
>British spelling of superiour
kek
>>
>>7162174
>Should've used apostrophes

What backwards ass learning have you been doing?
>>
>>7162243
Well, single quotes, in any case.
>>
The fuck happened to this thread?
>>
>>7162001
>jerusalem artichokes.

Can't you jews stop shilling even on cooking board? for fuck sake...
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.