[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
not oily salad dressing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 11892552725_be7c82d262_b.jpg (303 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
11892552725_be7c82d262_b.jpg
303 KB, 1024x682
Salad dressing is the reason we eat salad. Don't deny it.

Trouble is, most is either oily or full of fat (milk). I've heard that processed nuts can work, but I've not tried it myself.

How can a tasty creamy salad dressing be made without oil or cream? Do you have any recipes?

I prefer the creamy roasted garlic salad dressing from souplantation, ideally a dressing similar to that would be best.
>>
yogurt
>>
>>7160586
>Trouble is, most is either oily or full of fat (milk).
because you're eating a bowl of vegetables with 0% fat... tasty food is always in balance with fat and lean, sweet/sour/bitter/salty/UMAMISAVORY, soft and crunchy, etc.
>>
>>7160586
>Salad dressing is the reason we eat salad. Don't deny it.

Nope.

I dress my salad with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Try again, fattie.
>>
>>7160593
Not quite, trying to avoid dairy.

Something like this:

Almond Ginger Dressing

makes about 2 1/2 cup
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
1 cup water
4 tablespoons tahini or unhulled sesame seeds
6 dates, pitted
2 small cloves garlic or 1 medium clove garlic
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled

Place all ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more water if a thinner consistency is desired.
>>
>>7160608
>dresses raw vegetables with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper
>"I DON'T EAT OILY DRESSINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
>>
>>7160586
I doubt you can do it. Creaminess comes from fat. Any substitute will be rich with a different type of fat.

You'll have to settle with a vinegar based dressing or something.
>>
>>7160626
Miso and vinegar can be used to make dressings and you don't need to add fat to it, though adding some certainly makes it tastier.

My dad used to dip fried food in a mixture of chili/bean paste (basically Chingchong miso), rice wine and LOTS of black vinegar because of a weird belief that eating something greasy with something sour somehow cancels the grease out or something. I never understood it. I do it, too, but just that I do it cuz it tastes good not for some broscience reason.
>>
>>7160626
I've seen a few recipes with tofu. Sounds intriguing because tofu has so little flavor of its own.

Here's one:

The Healthy Librarian's Creamy Chipotle Dressing

10.5 ounces of Mori-Nu Silken firm low-fat tofu
1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I wanted this to be easy, so I used Santa Cruz's bottled organic real lemon juice) Note: I bet lime juice would be good, too!
1 1/2 teaspoons agave, or brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 dried chipotle (I found this at my regular grocery store--if you're "heat"-sensitive, start with a half, & then add more.
3 tablespoons of chopped shallots (I've really grown to love this delicate onion-like veg)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or not)
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/4 teaspoon of paprika (I think this is for color---I also made it with smoked paprika, which makes it spicier--but we liked it that way. But, I'm just warning you....)
1 fresh garlic clove, minced

Put everything into your blender or Vita-Mix and blend until it's all smooth. Taste it--and adjust the seasoning. If you don't like things too hot, use less chipotle to start, taste, and then add more.
This dressing keeps in the refrigerator, covered well, for a week. Serve chilled.
>>
>>7160586
That's the entire point of salad dressing, dumbfuck, just don't go overboard on it.
>>
Splash of vinegar, table spoon of sweet chilli sauce, boom instant dressing.
>>
anon, how much dressing are you using? do you toss your salad properly? you should only need a tablespoon or two per person
>>
>1 tablespoon olive oil
>1 tablespoon vinegar of your choice
>pinch of salt

It's so good.
>>
>>7160611
there's a lot of fat in tahini and almonds...
>>
>>7160745

fat is good for you nigger
>>
>>7160745
why do you want to cut fat out of your diet? if its to lose weight, you need to try harder.
>>
>>7160750
i know it is, but op is saying he wants to avoid oil and then switches to a different food with fat anyway
>>
>>7160752
i don't, i'm not op
>>
>>7160754

oily and fatty are two different things
>>
Vegans are here to help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldwmCJMf-I
>>
>>7160763
not really, oil is fat
>>
>>7160586
>How can a tasty creamy salad dressing be made without oil or cream? Do you have any recipes?
Oils and fats contain nutrition, not just calories.
>I prefer the creamy roasted garlic salad dressing from souplantation, ideally a dressing similar to that would be best.
Some "creaminess" can be had with a tsp of dijon mustard in most dressings. Start with a minced garlic (or roasted garlic cloves), then mash in a little salt, or a touch of anchovy, and then choose your oil, you do need some oil...maybe a touch of olive, some walnut or even some avocado, then add the liquid of your choice. Nothing wrong with yogurt or lime juice or even a little bit of water. Up your flavor, cause acid that isn't just sour vinegar, but vinegar with flavors, lots of bits of herbs or minced pepper, add to wetting the greens with flavor, and making it feel salty enough. So get some zest with your juice, some lower fat dairy like greek yogurt, and when you do your fat, make it count! Toss the salad with plenty of space in the bowl, or simply dip your tines into dressing like dip, before each bite. Up to you, man. I can enjoy a salad without dressing, if it's robust enough, with roasted veggies, or herb crusted steak, bit of fruit, bit of nuts, whatever, even adding some cilantro, dill,..bitter greens.. kale, chicory or basil in with the salad greens.
>>
>>7160754
Op here, it's not the fat that I'm trying to avoid, it's the empty calories. There's hundreds of nutrients inside of nuts and seeds and avocados.

Oil on the other hand, is almost entirely calories.
>>
>>7160943
case in point,

Nutrition Facts

Olive oil
Amount Per
1 tablespoon (13.5 g)
Calories 119 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g 21%
Saturated fat 1.9 g 9%
Polyunsaturated fat 1.4 g
Monounsaturated fat 10 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 0 g 0%
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-6 0%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 0%
>>
>>7161590
14g of fat in 13.5g of oil.
That's fatty.
>>
>>7161650
yes, thats why im avoiding it entirely.

i think you might be confused.
>>
File: 1370904201952.png (21 KB, 320x191) Image search: [Google]
1370904201952.png
21 KB, 320x191
>>7160607
why capitolize savory? im new to /ck/. are there actually people on here that deny it as the 5th flavor type?
>>
>>7160586
>Salad dressing is the reason we eat salad

no it isn't fattie.
>>
>>7160586
Make an asian one. 3 parts acid, 2 parts sugary stuff, one part oil.
>>
File: reality_dupiex.jpg (17 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
reality_dupiex.jpg
17 KB, 600x375
I don't like any salad dressing.

I like the crisp freshness of a salad.

deal with it
>>
>>7161655
you need dietary fats to LIVE, fukboi

if you want to be /fit/ you need to get your macros under control and stop eating doritos all day. yes, you can still have tendies. sometimes.
>>
I usually just have a side of tzatziki
>>
>>7160943
but the salad has all the rest duh
>>
Find anything that will thicken/emulsify your dressing with the acid/flavouring ingredient:

Yoghurt,
Ketchup,
Tomato Paste,
Cranberry Jelly,
Sweet Chilli Sauce,
etc...
>>
Stale Bread crumbs/chunks is also an option
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.