[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vegetarian Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 310x310
Thinking about going vegetarian for 6 months, longer if I like it.

For the vegetarians on this board:

What should I expect?
What are your favorite dishes?
Do you sometimes struggle wanting meat?
Do you have any recommendations for staying on track?
>>
>>7160097
Just find veg protien sources like beans or basmati rice and shit.
>>
>>7160108

Lentils, eggplant and mushrooms to start on protein. Will find other sources once I get in the niche of things.
>>
Why does this need a thread? Just go eat vegetarian only food for a month and if you like it good for you, I guess. Unless you're only doing it for attention, in which case fuck off.
>>
>>7160121

Deserves its own thread because /ck/ - Food & Cooking, so fuck you. Ain't for attention either, that doesn't even make sense?
>>
falafels
hummus and something to scoop it with
black bean burgers
lentil stews and soups
beans and rice
pretty much any egg dish
>>
>>7160132
No vegetarians are faggots. Ron Swanson would be disappoint
>>
File: a20151212.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
a20151212.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>7160097
no meat but cheese & eggs?
>>
The only good dishes I can think of are rice n' beans, or mushroom pizza. I should switch to more vegetarian because of my gout, but I just don't think there is anything that replaces the rich, heartiness of meat.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 600x450
This is all you need to be vegetarian.
>>
>>7160121
>just go eat vegetarian food
Most restaurants seem to only have veg dishes as an obligation (other than Indian food where being vegetarian is a huge cultural thing). Most of it tastes like shit because the cooks don't even try and that leads people to think that if your food doesn't have meat in it, then it must taste like shit. I'm not even a vegetarian but the past 8 months I have been picking veg dishes from time to time and I'm so totally confused that I never realized how some of this stuff is. Portobello mushrooms with diced tomatoes make great sandwiches, pokkuti and vegetarian curry is delicious, field roast sausage is a legit decent meat substitute...
>>
>>7160401

No eggs, but egg products.. if that makes any sense. Shit that has a -tiny- amount of eggs, but not like 5 hard boil eggs for dinner. Very casual.
>>
File: pokkuti.jpg (301 KB, 1236x1084) Image search: [Google]
pokkuti.jpg
301 KB, 1236x1084
>>7160429
>pokkuti

what
>>
>>7160472
>>7160429
woops, meant Pakora. It's basically a jalapeno popper but with chickpea instead of cream cheese.
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (408 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
408 KB, 500x345
>>7160485
>Autocorrect
Hmmm
>>
File: 1439475333900.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1439475333900.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>7160485
>>
>>7160495
>>7160552
I dunno why you're so excited about a typo I made, Pakora still tastes good.
>>
>>7160485
tippity top kek
>>
File: 1436497578798.jpg (43 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1436497578798.jpg
43 KB, 400x399
>>7160485
>pokkuti
>>
>>7160559
It happens to the best of us, anon. Once I forgot to delete a tab from my PS Vita before showing my mom something. I opened the browser without thinking about it and a huge hi-res pic of Quiet from MGSV sucking a dick popped up. Mom looked mortified.
>>
>>7160453
I'm a vegetarian and I eat whole eggs. Why don't you go vegan if you want to be a special princess?
>>
I make all sorts of soups. My favorites are lentil and cabbage. Oats are one of my favorite breakfasts with blueberries or bananas. Sometimes i'll do green smoothies with a mixture of spinach, kale, mixed frozen fruit, oats, peanut butter, caocao powder and almond milk. Greek yogurt + strawberries or cottage cheese with peaches are some of my favorite snacks. I love making quinoa with kale, onion, corn, black beans, cilantro and various spices. Oh and I love making veggie curry dishes.

No I don't struggle wanting meat. Never really liked it to begin with,
>>
If you'd like a large source to choose from:
>vegweb.com
It's vegan, but you could switch out dairy/egg subs with the real thing if you want.

When I went for it, my struggle wasn't wanting meat - it was catching flak and being talked down to (even though I never really talked about it.) Since it wasn't for ethical reasons, I figured it was easier to just switch back. So be prepared for that.

As for staying on track, just make sure you have filling, satisfying items on your list. Sweet potatoes, squash, rice and beans, etc. A good path to go with is Latin American vegetarian cuisine.
And definitely, above all else, do NOT go the junk route. You can't just eat a ton of Morningstar products and call it good. You still need to consume greens, fruit, etc.
>>
File: 1435856616403.gif (2 MB, 177x150) Image search: [Google]
1435856616403.gif
2 MB, 177x150
>>7160559
Yeah but what about pokkuti
>>
>>7160631
This isn't /aco/ talking about that here is off-topic.
>>
>>7160216
This is a grown up board, buddy.
>>
>>7160097

Stuffed peppers? My favourite!

YUM YUM YUM, I WOULDN'T SHARE THIS WITH A BUM!
>>
>>7160097
Best thing is to do "part time vegetarian". Eat meat, but only on special occasions.

Dinner at friends' house and they cooked chicken? Eat it! 4th of July and you're grilling steak? Eat it! Invited to turboswank seafood restaurant for work? Eat some fish!

At home, alone, and you're hungry? Eat vegetarian.
>>
>>7160097
Well, it's a lot easier than you think. Just don't eat cheese pizza all the time and you'll do fine. Canned chick peas are great. Split pea soup, lentils etc. That stuff you should eat every day.
>>
>>7160097
>Thinking about going vegetarian for 6 month
LMAO faggot
>>
File: aaa.jpg (69 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
69 KB, 800x600
>>7160097
Good luck. I tried it for a week once, was hard as hell.
>>
I'm anemic but most meats make me sick save for fish. So anyone have any tips on what foods to eat outside of Kale and Spinach? I feel like this shit shouldn't be so hard, anemic vegetarians (though I'm pescetarian because I do eat fish, admittedly) can't be that rare, right?
>>
>>7160097

I plan on going MOSTLY vegetarian, probably a steak salad once a month for fun. although I've been told that I wont even want steak after a few months, wild right?

I'm actually really excited to try to make some tasty vegi stuff that I would normally not even think of cooking.

Gonna check out the vegan recipes and avoid anything trying to be meat that is made of vegetables.
>>
>>7161241
a friend of mine went vegetarian 6 months ago

I doubted he could do it

though he's not really a proper vegetarian since he's just eating overly expensive vegetarian ready meals and quorn shit

I told him to learn how to cook actual vegetarian food but he's a bit of a lazy cunt

oh well his loss
>>
>>7160097
>What should I expect?

A craving for meat if you really like meat. Finding meals to be not as fulfilling initially.

>What are your favorite dishes?

Homemade Indian food - nothing like the stupid naan and tikka and whatnot you hear about when someone says "indian food". Nobody sane eats that restaurant tier stuff on a regular basis, even in India.

>Do you sometimes struggle wanting meat?

No, I've been a vegetarian since birth.

>Do you have any recommendations for staying on track?

Do not, for the love of god, try to substitute meat in a meat-based product with fake meat or tofu. You will have to redesign your daily meals. From the ground up. Drink lots of milk. Add beans, lentils, chickpeas quite a lot. Study cuisines that have a lot of vegetarian options or that are vegetarian (lots of Indian cuisines I can vouch for).
>>
File: bbb.jpg (71 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
bbb.jpg
71 KB, 640x427
>>7161393
Well, I didn't eat any meat substitutes, I cooked real vegetarian meals. I just had this strong craving for meat after about three days.

It was humbling in a way because I didn't expect it to be a real challenge. And it was just a week lol.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.