[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Venison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: venison.jpg (33 KB, 300x236) Image search: [Google]
venison.jpg
33 KB, 300x236
I bought a couple of Venison steaks yesterday, because they were marked down

How do I cook them? How do I know when they are Medium-Rare?

What should I have with them?
>>
>>7158635

German cole slaw and German potato salad. Crack open a Schwarzbier with your meal. Afterwards, sit by the fire and sip on a cordial of the schnapps of your choosing.
>>
>>7158635

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/seared_venison_with_redcurrant_sauce.html

or

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/778650/venison-steak-with-port-sauce
>>
>>7158635
Just cut it in half while its cooking to check for doneness. People will say the juices will fall out but that's just an old myth.
>>
I've never cooked venison steaks, but that won't stop me from making a few suggestions.

I would expect it to be quite lean. If it were me cooking it for a first attempt, I would treat it more like a grass fed beef steak -- cook in a pan with plenty of butter slowly over medium low heat. While it is cooking, frequently spoon butter from the pan over the top of the venison. Watch the sides to see how far the cooking has progressed and when half way turn over and cook the other side.

Maybe toss a couple of smashed garlic cloves into the butter before putting in the venison.

After it is finished, set it on cloth or paper towels or on a wire rack and let it rest for about five minutes. I typically use this as an opportunity to wash the various cooking utensils.

Like I said, I've never cooked venison but if it were me, this is what I would want to try first.
>>
>>7158635

>What should I have with them

Mushroom ravioli or cannelloni

Or mashed potatoes
>>
>>7158635
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q21O515OLxU
Sous Vide that shit nigga
Perfect doneness throughout. I don't have a sous vide machine so I just use a regular pot over flame with a thermometer
>>
>>7158635
I'm from the south and eat deer often....the way we make deer backstrap at our house is soaked in seasoned buttermilk overnight to help get rid of any "gaminess"....after that they are double dredged in seasoned flour, egg, seasoned flour again and then fried...( like chicken fried steak)...serve with mashed potatoes, homemade gravy made from the drippings, and a vegetable side. Good eating....
>>
>>7158635
How thick are the steaks? Are they cutlets or actual steaks
>>
thanks for the responses co/ck/masters

think I will end up pan frying with butter and oil, then resting for 5 min, then eating on thir own

steaks scare me, so much can go wrong and I don't want them under or over, don't want to spoil such awesome meat

>>7159757
I ain't got no sous vide shit nigga

>>7159779
sounds nice, but planning to just pan fry as is

>>7159808
about 3 cm thick about 10 cm by 10 cm accross

>>7159704
mmm, I don't know what canneloni is, is that the rolled up tubes of pasta?

>>7159581
very lean, that sounds nice

>>7159538
not sure I trust you

>>7159422
sounds really good

>>7159413
>sit by the fire and sip on a cordial of the schnapps of your choosing.
might skip to that stage

/comfy/
>>
>>7159581
>medium-low
Nope. As you said it will be very lean, so you need to cook it as rare as possible for it to be still juicy, and you won't achieve a nice rare in the middle and some good crust in the outside over medium-low heat.
>>
>>7160046
tempted to get a premade source, like peppercorn, to put over it
>>
Marinade over night in Italian dressing.

Take its temperature.
>>
>>7160075
>take its temperature
what does mean dis?
>>
>>7160046

The secret to cooking lean meat is low and slow with plenty of external fat to make up for the leanness. Cooking it like you would a grain fed steak will just result in a ridiculously dry piece of meat.
>>
That reminds me that I have like twenty pounds of venison in the freezer that I haven't done anything with. I've found that it's mostly only appropriate for chili and shit like that. Unless it's backstrap.
>>
mmmm, just pan fried it for 5 min each side, in a pan of onions garlic and mushrooms, with a little oil and butter, whilst cooking pasta and making carbonara souace from a packet, then left the meat to rest for 4 min, while adding the pasta and onions etc to the carbonara

was amazing
>>
>>7160520
what cuts?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.