[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Improving canned beans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 20151209_151029-1.jpg (3 MB, 3607x1386) Image search: [Google]
20151209_151029-1.jpg
3 MB, 3607x1386
I'm in a bit of a tight spot, /ck/. Low budget and infrequent shopping trips leave me scraping the bottom of the metaphorical and literal barrel to make dinner. Tonight I'm making beans and rice, using canned beans. My questions are:

Should I use black beans or kidney beans? I have no experience with kidney, so I don't know how they taste or work with other flavors.

Either way, how should I prepare them, and what spices should I use? I was going to heat them up in a cast-iron pan with bacon grease after sautéing an onion, but we have no onions left and I can't go shopping before dinner.

Pictured: most of my spice cabinet.
>>
haha Dill Weed

lol
>>
>>7153851
nice catch bro! haha totally funny
>>
>>7153887
Dude. Weed. Lmao.
>>
Cayenne pepper cumin and onion powder should do the trick
>>
Kidney beans have a milder flavor than black beans and soften more easily, I don't think you'd need to use as much flavoring with them as you would the black beans. I would use the crushed red pepper, onion powder, and garlic pepper (also a splash of chicken stock, bouillon, soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce if you have any)
>>
>>7153851
>>7153887
>>7153951
LOL ahaha im literally loling irl right now desu~
>>
Half can black beans, rinsed
Half bag frozen corn
1 lime
2 or 3 springs chopped cilantro including stems
1 clove garlic microplaned

corn in hot skillet until thawed, reduce heat to medium. add in rest of stuff and the juice of the lime. salt and pepper to your taste. cook until beans are warmed to eating temp
>>
If you're really struggling I suggest getting dried beans over canned. You save a few cents here and there which can go to some produce or bulgar. It does take more time to prepare with the soaking and simmering however, so depending on your circumstances it might not be great.
>>
>Heat pan to medium
>melt bacon grease
>add 1/2tsp cayenne, 1tsp onion powder, 1tsp turmeric, 1tsp cumin, 1 cup long-grain rice (also 1tsp paprika if you have it)
>fry for about two minutes until everything is fragrant, then add 2tbsp tomato puree (if you have it)
>add 1.5 cups water or stock, 1tsp oregano and drained can of beans
>cover pan with tight-fitting lid, turn heat to lowest
>simmer for 15 minutes
>remove pan from heat, keep lid on for a further 5-10 minutes
>wa la

This works better if you fry onion and garlic for a few minutes before dumping your rice and spices in but apparently you don't have any so we'll have to use the powdered shite instead.
>>
>>7153827
Teh chiptole pepper, oregano and garlic pepper would be nice. Your throwing some kind of oil in with this right? Or better yet butter?
>>
File: reddit.jpg (41 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
41 KB, 396x382
>>7156126
He already said he was using bacon grease, retard
>>
>>7156078
I live in communist Sweden and dry beans are 3 times cheaper when cooked compared to the cheapest canned.
>>
Fry off onions
Add garlic and tomato concentrate
Dump in rinsed kidney beans and a little water
Add a bouillon cube and some cayenne and paprika
Simmer until thick
Serve over rice

I'm not remotely poor but this is still my go-to mindless food because it's delicious
>>
Jack's famous Bean Salad.
>>
File: 1054 - h2vvwEm.jpg (32 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1054 - h2vvwEm.jpg
32 KB, 225x225
>>7153827
Why the fuck do people store their spices like this? What if you need something from the back?
It's 2015, why the fuck don't you have a spice rack, you fucking goddamn I swear to god
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7158543
>memerack
nice waste of money family
>>
>>7158543
>What if you need something from the back?
Then you remove the one in front of it and take out the one in the back. Does thinking in three-dimensional space always cause you this much difficulty?
>>
>>7158576
>Then you remove the one in front of it and take out the one in the back
>being this autistic
If you want to make your life more difficult that's your prerogative.
>>
>>7153827
Cumin mother fucker. all of the cumin. Add tortillas and cheese.
>>
>>7158584
>argues in favour of a spice rack to keep his spice jars all arranged in neat, equally-spaced rows and columns so he can pretend they are soldiers fighting a culinary war
>accuses others of being autistic

I bet you even make pew pew laser noises when you shake them into the pan, don't you.
>>
>>7158543
My spice cupboard (not a rack) would send you into convulsions. 3 shelves packed with various spices. It's not that hard to take a few minutes to dig out what you will need before you start cooking. Organized cooks are fucking autistic. I get a mis en place, when youa re prepping, but insisting that your 12 spice containers be in some sort of order just strikes me as intro cook shit. I have at least a hundred different containers in that cupboard. organization is a fucking afterthought.
>>
>>7158589
Damn right I do, faggot. Makes the food I make taste baller. Have fun with your gayass beans.
>>
'cha and italian seasoning
>>
>>7158584
>slave to elaborate routines
>moving shit around for 10 seconds and using your memory

Guess which one is more difficult?
>>
>>7153827
3:1:1 Chipotle:Cumin:Cayenne
>>
>>7158625
If a spice rack is an elaborate routine for you then you're not using it correctly, anon. I mean I just shove mine in a cupboard like op but if I needed the cupboard space and/or had mild autism I would get a spice rack too.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.