[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many people incapable of properly cooking rice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 16
Why are so many people incapable of properly cooking rice?
>>
okay wise ass how do you make rice?
>>
>>7152661
Because rice cookers are meme devices and no one on this board actually cooks.
>>
>>7152667

I don't understand you. The most important thing is the quality of rice. You then wash it, put it in the pan, add water and cook on low heat with the cover on but not sealed. Stir from time to time.

The amount of water you add is crucial. If you add too much the rice will cook too much and it's crap. It's better to add less than more. I use bottled water not tap water. Don't let the water dry completely, you want that puffiness. Also don't stir harshly.

I like it al dente but to each his own.
>>
I just use a rice cooker.
>>
Because stupid people insist on following the "directions" on the bag of rice they buy then grow unhinged when those "directions" yielded a messy goop of goo. So what do they do? Follow the "directions" again the next time! And the next time! And the time after that! And the time after that! Without stopping to consider that maybe the "directions" are fucking wrong.

>2 cups water to 1 cup rice!!! DEMS DA ROOLZ!!!
Yeah, great idea: adding 450ml of liquid to 150g of grains and boiling it until the water's all gone. That won't yield soggy bullshit at all!
>>
>>7152661
There are many ways to cook rice and some ways suited to one type of rice are not suited to another.
>>
What is the proper way to cook rice without a rice cooker? I had steamed rice once and it was ass.
>>
>>7152704
i always follow the directions on the rice, and i get perfect rice every time.

it's shitheads who throw some rice and some water in a pan, then turn it on high heat and leave it on a hard boil for 40 minutes. only idiots like that need to use a rice cooker.
>>
>>7152704
Go back to school, you can't even double 150.
>>
if you don't wash it, you will end up with goop. Best thing is to wash it but not to move/break the grains. Just give it rinse 2-3 times and then it should be clean enough. I also cook jap rice 1:1
>>
>>7152726
The proper way is to just buy parboiled rice.
>>
>>7152755
>confusing mass and volume
American detected
>>
>>7152749
Lies.

>>7152726
Depends.
For all non-glutinous varieties, the most foolproof method, if a little messy, is the Sicilian way. It requires no measuring nor precise timing.

Boil some water.
Add the rice.
Boil until just under desired doneness then drain into a strainer.
Wash the rice under cool, running water until the water comes clear then shake out as much excess liquid as you can.
Put it back in the pot and put a lid on it.
Set the pot to high heat and put your hand on the lid; when it gets too hot to keep your hand there comfortably, off the heat and let the rice sit for a while, then fluff and serve.

For all glutinous varieties, the Lao method is similarly foolproof: soak the rice for about an hour then drain and shake of excess water.
Place on banana leaves or cheese cloth or coffee filters and place into a steamer basket.
If you have a metal, mesh or Lao-style bamboo steamer basket, you won't need any filter/cloth/leaves at all.
Steam for 10-15 minutes or so, checking for doneness every now and again then off the heat and allow to cool.
Remove from the basket and filter/cloth/leaf and serve.

Pic related is a Lao rice pot with Lao bamboo rice steamer.
>>
>>7152764
I'm french
>>
>>7152767
It really isn't that difficult to get fluffy rice. You just have to be attentive.

I don't even knew what you're taping about when you refer to gooey or mushy rice.

I rinse, and weigh my rice and water. Not that difficult to do.
>>
>>7152783
Have you ever had rice cooker rice before? Genuine question.
>>
>>7152689

>Stir from time to time

Yeah... you don't know how to cook rice either.
>>
File: tQJXMpR.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tQJXMpR.jpg
216 KB, 1024x768
>>7152661
Rice is a very mysterious, delicious, energy food.
Not many people can handle that.
>>
>>7152661

>bring water to semi boil
>rinse or no rinse , either way
>put I'm rice, turn to low heat
>put in dollop of coconut oil
>pot lid on half way so steam escapes
>follow directions otherwise
>perfectly steamed and fluffy rice, serve with sweet and sour
>>
Long grain rice:

Boil some water
Rinse 1 cup of rice in a colander or something until the water is vaguely clear
Tip 1.5 cups boiling water into a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid (the lid should not be on the saucepan at this point)
Put pan on stove on medium heat until water is properly boiling
Chuck your 1 cup of rinsed rice into saucepan
Turn heat down to lowest setting and put lid on saucepan
Leave for fifteen minutes
Take off heat, keep lid on saucepan and leave for a further 5 minutes
Remove lid, fluff with fork

You can make the rice more interesting by putting a tbsp of oil in the saucepan at the start and frying up half an onion, two cloves of garlic an 1tbsp of spices that suit whatever dish you're pairing the rice with, and make it into a light meal in its own right by chucking a drained/rinsed tin of beans in at the same time as the rice
>>
>>7152824
I had a flatmate that no shit would cut up a cheap, lean cut of pork and cook rice in our rice cooker and put the pork in the steamer basket above and then just eat the two together, no seasoning.
>>
>tfw friend gave me rice cooker for move-in present
>tfw still can't cook the brown rice I bought

I put more and more water in every time and it's still too dry. Like 3/4 cup rice to 2.25 cup water. Maybe my rice cooker is too big for such a small portion?
>>
>>7152885
Does the rice cooker have a separate, dedicated setting for brown rice? I never cooked brown rice but mine does.
>>
>>7152661
for jasmine rice
>1 cup rice per 1.5 cups water
>add water or ck stock + rice and bring to boil
>turn heat off and cover
>15 minutes later perfect rice
how I cook it on my stupid glass top apartment stove.
>>
>>7152885
If your cooker doesn't have a brown rice program just run the white rice program twice
>>
>>7152887
>>7152904
It's just an on/warm switch. Very basic. My friend's Japanese mom never had a problem with it, I'm just too white
>>
>>7152961
Do you wash and soak the rice?
>>
>>7152661
/ck/ is not renowned for its culinary skills, anon.
>>
>>7152963
N...no. I dump rice in add water then turn on.
>>
>>7152841
I add a little salt to the boiling water and fluff rice immediately after removing from heat, then replace lid and let finish/cool for ~10 min. but otherwise I've always been happy with rice cooked this way.
>>
>>7152689
>Stir from time to time

Do you hear that OP? It's Asia crying.
>>
>>7152661
ive been cooking professionaly for 6 years and still fuck up rice, that shit is so tricky
>>
File: comet_cooker.jpg (179 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
comet_cooker.jpg
179 KB, 1000x750
I use a rice steamer (identical to the one in the photo). With minimum attention, the rice comes out perfectly every time.
>>
The major thing is you need a precise water to rice ratio and this ratio is slightly different for every saucepan depending on how tight the lid is and the area of the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFU7ezipbg
>>
File: 876565656456.gif (358 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
876565656456.gif
358 KB, 500x212
>>7153149
>>
File: how-to-rinse-the-rice0523.jpg (42 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
how-to-rinse-the-rice0523.jpg
42 KB, 400x267
1 cup basmati rice (rinsed / drained well)
2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt

Add rice and water to pot, stir in salt. Cover. Bring to a boil, now turn burner to lowest setting and let rice steam for 15-20 minutes. When it's done, remove the lid and let steam cook off for a couple minutes.

Never stir rice.

Btw, most people don't wash the rice near well enough. Put your rice in a bowl, add water and mix it around, it will make the water cloudy. Drain the cloudy water off and rinse the rice again the same way until the water is mostly clearr (2-3 times)
>>
Threads like this are why we'll never have a sticky.
>>
A sushi chef (itamae) trains for years just to learn how to cook rice. So no, it's not easy to make perfect rice.
>>
>roommate is the biggest weeb I've ever met
>eats rice pretty much every day
>not even able to cook it using a pot
>>
>>7152763
We can all tell that you're a round-eye.
>>
>>7153203
see
>>7153210
Your roommate would like a word.
>>
When I cook rice, which is rare, I use a pressure cooker. I get excellent results.
>>
>>7153222
>want to buy a pressure cooker
>too afraid of ending up on a terrorist watchlist

sandniggers ruin everything.
>>
>>7153219
There's a difference between being unable to make PERUFEKUTO NIHON RAISU and being unable to cook rice with something else than a fucking rice cooker.
>>
>>7152789
At my Chinese friends houses, yes. It's not that different. Except they were kind of gross and kept the same batch for too long.

The people saying to rinse it 3 times or so are right. So are the people saying not to stir it. You don't need to if you have the right water to rice ratio and the right amount of heat.

It's like making couscous, but it takes longer. Mushy couscous is gross, but it's very easy to make it correctly if you are attentive, and make sure you have the right ratios. Weighing makes it much easier to get it exactly right
>>
Even my rice cooker cooks shitty saugy rice
>>
File: 1432155461478.jpg (70 KB, 454x365) Image search: [Google]
1432155461478.jpg
70 KB, 454x365
>>7152661
>>7152689

>asks why people can't cook rice
>doesn't know how to cook rice

you're a failure
>>
I NEVER wash my rice...you wash the good nutrients and fecal matter off of it then. That's all good for the immune system.
>>
File: trolling_weebs.png (4 KB, 113x90) Image search: [Google]
trolling_weebs.png
4 KB, 113x90
>>7153230
>>
>>7153178
underrated post
>>
>>7153255
what are you even trying to say
>>
jesus christ what an autistic thread
>>
File: gamer.jpg (77 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
gamer.jpg
77 KB, 550x413
>>7153272
This is another example of why /ck/ badly needs a sticky.
Amarite?
>>
>>7153185
I'm going to try 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups of water next time.
>>
Slap some chicken or beef broth in there instead of H2O. Don't use the bouillon cubes though! Uck.
>>
>>7153185
Why the hells do you people wash the rice??? Screws it all up!
>>
>>7153295

To get rid of the excess starch that forms when the rice is shipped, as well as the excess talc left over from the polishing process.
>>
File: owl.webm (820 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
owl.webm
820 KB, 720x404
>>7152689
>Stir from time to time.
Please no one listen to him, you do not uncover rice.
>>
>>7153234
>m-muh ratios!!!
Yeah? Which ratios? For which type of rice?
You tell me.

What you fail to understand is that the ratio you might use for the rice you might buy will not be the same as the one someone else might need for the rice he or she might buy to stop it from turning into mushy goopwater.

If you're unsure, the best, ratio-free methods are listed in this thread. It's that simple. Until you figure that out, stick to Quick Rice.
>>
>>7153007
Hadn't thought about the salt because I pretty much always use chicken stock instead of water but that's a good plan if you're doing "plain" rice.
>>
ITT: Expert rice cookers who don't actually know what they're doing.

What a snobby thread.
>>
>>7153326
Actually, it's fine to uncover the rice if your heat source is consistent. The real problem is the stirring. You can stir rice as much as you want before it starts absorbing the water, but once it does, if you stir it more than maybe once you're going to get mushy rice.

When Puerto Ricans make rice, we make it in a nice thick pot, add about 2 parts rice to 3 parts water (this varies greatly depending on what works for you, but the ratio is almost NEVER 1:2), cook it UNCOVERED at a medium heat until the water is mostly absorbed/evaporated, THEN turn the rice, cover it to steam the rest of the way. This allows not only for you to keep constant control over the state of your rice, but it also allows you to prepare the precious pegao, the crispy layer of browned rice on the bottom of the pot that we treasure so much.
>>
>>7153379
Cooking without lid is a waste of energy.
>>
>>7153391
Yet it makes good rice. Which, I think, is the most important part here. If you were worried about wasting energy, you'd probably be eating most of your food raw. You certainly wouldn't saute or fry anything.
>>
>>7153149
kek'd
>>
>>7152661

1 sauce pan.
1/2 cup of rice.
1 cup of water.

1) Put the water in the sauce pan, and bring to a rapid boil.
2) toss in the washed rice. (washed or unwashed is up to you)
3) stir a bit.
4) turn down the heat to low.
5) cover the sauce pan.
6) let it sit for some minutes. (depending on how soft you like it)
7) you can stir occasionally. In my experience, I have found it doesn't matter if I stir or not.
>>
>>7153721
>2:1 water:rice ratio
>>
File: 86 buick t type.jpg (78 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
86 buick t type.jpg
78 KB, 640x640
>>7152661
>rice
>2x water
>boil
>low flame then cover.
werks erry tiem senpai. You can even season it if you want desu.
>>
>>7152661
>Pilaf
>Boil 1&1/2C water
>In separte pot melt butter add 1/2 yellow onion and sweat the onion
>Once water is boiling and onions have sweated add the rice to the onions and coat Rice with butter
>Add boiling water cover and keep on low heat for 10 minutes
>check rice for water content, add water if need be
>Cook for the remaining 10 minutes, check for correct soft consistency, serve
>>
>>7152661
I just do what my asian grandma taught me

>drop 1-2 cups rice in pan
>rinse it a few times until clear water
>wtf ratios nigga fuck that
>there are no measuring cups when u live in a shack nig
>place index finger tip on top of rice
>fill to the first line of your index finger
>turn on rice cooker
>never open the lid
>fucking never open the lid
>wait five mins after cooker goes off to open
>perfect fluffiness everytiem
>>
File: gfh5467.jpg (121 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
gfh5467.jpg
121 KB, 620x349
>>7154390

>no measuring cups when u live in a shack nig
>turn on rice cooker
>>
Just put enough water until it covers most of your hands but doesn't cover the very top of your knuckles

Perfect rice everytime

Also if cooking in a pot just put it on medium until it boils then very low and be sure to move the pot around if the heat source doesn't cover the entire bottom of the pan

don't fucking stir it
>>
File: rice.jpg (666 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
666 KB, 2000x2000
I rarely eat rice, but when I do.
>>
One thing some people do on occasion is put the rice into a thermos bottle, fill with boiling water, cap, and let sit for some number of hours.
>>
>>7154390
>no cup to measure
>rice cooker
>nig shack baby
>>
>>7154471
Dang, guess I should buy one of those thermos/lunch-can things.
>>
Youre supposed to stir it once, when big bubbles disappear you faglords
>>
Gook here
Rinse rice to get rid of excess starch
Let it soak in water until the grains are white if you want it to be sticky
Water level should be about 1cm higher than the rice. Real Asians don't measure
Gently simmer it until the air bubbles form stiff craters, should still be a little moisture in there
Take off heat and cover until it stops emitting steam when you open it
>>
>>7152689
>Bottled water

What the fuck? Just get a fucking filter you shitstain.
>>
>>7152689
no. this is how you cook rice:

put water and rice into a pot
heat to boil
lower heat to minimum
come back when its done
>>
>>7152667
>okay wise ass how do you make rice?

1 part rice
1.5 parts water
Cover the pot and bring to boil.
Place burner on low setting and cook for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes turn off and leave it for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes you can take off the lid, fluff, and serve.

Never fails, nigger.
>>
>>7152764
>not being internally consistent with units
Soft-science fag detected
>>
>wash rice
>drain
>add water
>medium until it starts to boil
>put on lid, turn to low
>check on it in about 20 minutes (clear lid, don't fucking open it and release the steam)
>turn off heat when nearly done, let steam finish

It really isn't that fucking hard.
>>
>>7154756
you didn't let it soak you fucking sandnigger
>>
The rice I buy is usually 1.5 water to 1 rice. I just boil the water, then add rice, fat, and salt, stir it reeeeally gently to not activate the starch. Then it sits for about 15 minutes I think. Then off the heat, I fluff it as quick as I can, then lid back on for several minutes to steam. Perfect rice, not stick at all.

It's sort of dependant on the rice brand though, which is weird. I tried a new one recently because they stopped selling my old one, and it's the clumpiest shit you've ever seen. I've given up trying to get it right so I just soak it for a few hours and then boil it like pasta. It's okay but not great.

Sometimes when I'm extra lazy I buy converted rice because. Almost impossible to get wrong and it tastes a lot like restaurant rice.
>>
>>7154764
long grain white rice doesn't need that. as a matter of fact, I can't think of any rice variety that needs to be soaked.
>>
>>7154764

In some cases, soaking may really help in the cooking of it. Remember that at high altitude, water boils at a much lower temperature.

I suspect that if you were cooking rice on Pike's Peak, you would just about have to soak it.
>>
>>7154764

You only need to soak it for making glutinous rice
>>
>>7154901

>Remember that at high altitude, water boils at a much lower temperature.

no water boils at a higher temperature and things take longer to cook
>>
File: 1448776320920.png (179 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
1448776320920.png
179 KB, 600x511
I just accidentally made a batch of rice without putting in any water. Should I throw it away or can I cook it again with water, this time?
>>
>>7155097
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_cooking
>>
>>7152689
i do this too, cept for bottled water thing

and i only stir if im not using a rice cooker
>>
File: 098765432.jpg (8 KB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
098765432.jpg
8 KB, 197x200
>>7155243
>Hence the potatoes, after remaining for some hours in the boiling water, were nearly as hard as ever. The pot was left on the fire all night, and next morning it was boiled again, but yet the potatoes were not cooked.
>>
>>7155097

Where do you get that idea?

As a general rule of thumb, the boiling point of water will drop about 1 F for every additional 500 feet in altitude.

In Denver, a mile above sea level, figure a boiling point of about 202.

For Pikes Peak, nearly three miles above sea level, expect a boiling point of about 185.

That reduction in boiling point with high altitudes can make an enormous temperature in cooking times. Even at 2,500 feet above sea level, you have to adjust your cooking times for things such as pasta.
>>
>>7155097
>no water boils at a higher temperature and things take longer to cook

If you increase temperature, things take longer to cook?

Does that mean that if I were to get an oven that can cook at 5,000 degrees, it might take several days to bake a loaf of bread?
>>
What I'd like is a pressure cooker that would let me dial in the altitude I wanted.
>>
I just do it how my dad does it, boil some water then add the rice and only stir once so it doesn't clump up together and simmer low covered with a lid with a release till the water evaporates. I do about a cup and a half of water for one cup of rice. Comes out pretty gud.
>>
>>7156215
If you decrease pressure they do.
>>
>>7156252

If you are boiling something in water at altitude, the temperature of the boiling water is lower and it will take longer to cook as a result.

If whatever you are cooking is not boiling in water, I'm not sure it would make much, if any, difference as long as the temperatures are the same.
>>
>>7156198
whaterver dude I don't even eat pasta lmao
>>
because rice sticks to the bottom of your pan when you cook it.
>>
>>7156614

How about boiled potatoes?

You can boil potatoes far faster at sea level than in Denver. And if you try to boil potatoes on Pike's Peak, it may take hours.
>>
>>7153166
Do you live with your mom?
>>
>>7152849
plain rice is dope
>>
>>7156198
Living at 7000 feet, I can attest to this.
>>
>>7154541
Almost, but you're better off turning the heat off altogether after boiling.
>>
rice is garbage tier food
>>
>>7155242
how
what
how
>>
>>7158613
I forgot to put water in it, how is it hard to understand?

Anyways, I cooked it again with water and it turned out fine.
>>
>>7158666
Do you sometimes forget to breathe?
>>
>>7158670
No.
>>
>>7154541
So you don't rinse your rice? You don't soak it? You probably never make any kind of long grain rice. You suck.
>>
>>7154850
You've never eaten Basmati.
>>
>>7155097
Are you retarded? At higher altitudes the air pressure drops because of weaker graivty and that means water needs a lower temperature to vapourize.
>>
>>7158689

Just one correction -- it's not so much weaker gravity as a thinner atmosphere above you. Also, as it gets higher, the atmosphere is less dense.
>>
>>7155097
high school dropout detected
>>
>>7158696
Air pressure is a result of gravity pulling the atmosphere downwards though (also internal pressure of fluids and stuff, but I'm terrible at chem). Oh, are you saying that the effect of gravity is negligible at livable heights?
>>
>>7158700
It's not the gravity itself that causes air, but the weight of air above. The gravity itself is just a multiplier of this force.
>>
>>7158796
>but the weight of the air. The gravity itself is just a multiplier of this force.

Without a force acting on a body it cannot have a weight.
>>
>>7158796
>but the weight of air above
i.e. pressure
>>
>all these fags washing rice

It's like you don't want it to be sticky so you can use glorious Nippon chopsticks
>>
>>7152763
no. back to the plantation, unca ben
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.