[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a coffee thread! How much coffee do you drink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 39
File: ndk1.gif (3 MB, 987x540) Image search: [Google]
ndk1.gif
3 MB, 987x540
Let's have a coffee thread!
How much coffee do you drink and how do you prepare it?
>>
>>7151863

I drink in the morning to aide my bowel movements, I prepare it with water.
>>
3 cups a day, pour over
>>
I drink about 4 cups and I make it in a mr coffee
>>
2 cups in the morning, 2 cups at night.
French press with preground coffee because i'm too lazy to start grinding my own coffee, weighing it and then having yet another thing to wash afterwards.
>>
I usually make a french press in the evenings when i feel like it, but one of my roommates stuffed the press part down and fucked up the metal filter so it doesnt get a good seal on the sides. Fuck it was only a 20 dollar one from Ikea but it still upsets me
>>
>>7151955
fucked up, it was only 10 dollars, but still
>>
>>7151863
4-6 cups every morning. I buy whatever good whole bean dark roast is on sale, and drip brew. I drink it strong and black.

I need to get a french press.
>>
Pour over
French press both hot and cold brew
Instant coffee
Espresso machine as well.
>>
>>7151863
keurig or drip, black
>>
>>7152129
How's Keurig coffee? Worth the expense?
>>
We have a kureg machine at work. I usually make a cup so I can wait 3-5 minutes looking like a fag while someone else jumps on a project. I wait until it is cold then down the hatch. Easy money.
>>
>>7152136
My office has one, and they sell the pods at a discount, but if they didn't I wouldn't ever use one. The coffee's not bad, but it's not worth buying a fancy machine.
>>
File: pourover.jpg (80 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
pourover.jpg
80 KB, 400x280
I found these while shopping the other day and thought it was a cool concept. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a very good cup of coffee.
>>
Been liking pour over instead of my typical French press.
>>
>>7152136
i think its worth the convinience and pricings not bad unless u get pop brands
>>
2-4 cups a day, usually all french press. Sometimes I'll get out the moka pot, in which case I either have a faux-espresso or froth milk in the french press and make a faux-latte with said faux-espresso.

When I'm out for school I go to the cafe to get a small black drip coffee or a red-eye. Today I had a chem midterm followed by an all-nighter (still in progress) to do a 1500 word philosophy paper, so I had a small black before the exam and after I went again for a red-eye. At home I had a french press with a really yummy blend I got yesterday from a local roaster.

I finished my first ever single-origin on Monday, which was a Nicaraguan. I have another coming in on Thursday which is a Rwandan; the tasting notes made it sound really comfy.

/blog

College really made me go full hipster over coffee.
>>
Depends on the day; Aeropress is my favorite quick-and-dirty method, but I have an old espresso machine that I love to death.

>>7151909
Grinders don't need to be washed, buddy.

Just a bi-weekly quarter cup of parcooked rice is enough to scrub out all the crap.

>>7152164
It's a symptom of pre-ground coffee.
>>
File: 1397044994457.jpg (987 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1397044994457.jpg
987 KB, 5000x5000
>>7151969
>dark roasts
>>
>>7152136
Fucking awful. Do not waste your money on Keurig shit. God damn I regret buying and using that thing for a year. So much waste for shitty coffee.
I use an aeropress now and grind my beans just before brewing. Want to buy locally roasted next.
Been using my aeropress for a month or so now and one day last week I slept in and didn't have time to make coffee so I had a cup of Keurig at work and it was fucking awful, Jesus Christ I felt bad for drinking that for so long before.
>>
>>7152519
This T B H

Dark roast = well done
Medium roast = medium rare
Light roast = rare
>>
File: Coffee.jpg (17 KB, 299x318) Image search: [Google]
Coffee.jpg
17 KB, 299x318
I neer drank coffee. I always prefered tea, but i think i should give coffee chance. I like the way it smells, when someone prepares it. What should i look for, what should i avoid?
>>
Depends on my fatigue level

sometimes i'll be going Dave Grohl mode because I've been up for days completing last minute assingments. other times it's just one or two cups in the morning.

if i'm in res i'll use a french press, if i'm at home (which is really my parent's home) i'll use my dad's faema. If i'm getting coffee while /out/ i'll usually get an espresso or cappucino
>>
>>7152623
Generally, you shouldn't try making coffee yourself until you know how you like yours. You'll probably fuck it up a few times before you get the hang of it.

Additionally, don't by instant coffee. It's utter shit.
>>
File: sup.gif (2 MB, 546x404) Image search: [Google]
sup.gif
2 MB, 546x404
>>7152136
keurig peaked about 2 years ago. now the machines are shilling you to buy keurig brand coffee.

the convenience is top-tier; all you have to do is press a few buttons and you have coffee immediately. the taste is meh. if you find a keurig brand that you like, then you're all set. if you're coming from no coffee to keurig coffee, then a keurig feels like the bees knees. basically this >>7152478

>>7152519
>>7152616
wrong. more like
>blanco
>reposado
>anejo
roast has nothing to do with quality, just gives different flavours. there are great light roasts and scummy dark roasts, and vice versa

>>7152623
try going to a starbucks and getting a caffe mocha. it's basically a latte with chocolate. If you like the coffee part of the beverage, try a latte. if you like the latte, try a cappuccino. if you like the cappuccino, try an espresso or an americano.

that would be my advice. kind of like liquor I suppose: try a cooler, then try a beer, then try a highball, then try some straight liquor.
>>
>>7151863
>how much
Maybe 3 cups on saturday/sunday
>prepare
my beans go in the electric grinder, then they're into the coffee filter with a dash of salt, and the thing is filled up to the 10~ mark
>>
>>7151863
One mug every morning and sometimes one in the afternoon.

French press. Might order a gooseneck kettle for Christmas and try pourover
>>
File: 1443114328380.jpg (295 KB, 884x902) Image search: [Google]
1443114328380.jpg
295 KB, 884x902
>>7151863
> tfw i had to stop drinking caffeine when i got panic disorder
> now i get mad when i see people drinking it and i cant
>>
>>7152889
There are plenty of good decaf beans about
>>
>>7152889
>panic disorder

maybe you should stop being a pussy
>>
>>7151863
>caofee :3
>>
>>7152889
Caffiene can increase anxiety, but does it effect you that much?
>>
File: 1390818804935.jpg (45 KB, 424x550) Image search: [Google]
1390818804935.jpg
45 KB, 424x550
>>7152898
>>
>>7152916
Well memed
>>
>>7152924
Thanks.
>>
>>7152732
Except with dark roasts you usually just get a mouthful of just roasty flavor. You mask or even eliminate the flavors that that quality coffee may have had. I see your point though.

Can you even get cappuccinos in Starbucks anymore? Last I heard it's not on the menu, and you'd have to say "third espresso, third milk, third foam" or something, or hope that your barista already knows how to make one.

>>7152623
You can go experiment at your local Starbucks like the other anon said. Just remember that Starbucks roasts the shit out of their coffee, and that the coffee by itself tastes like newspaper, ash, and adult despair. You can ask for their blonde roast, and some starbucks even sell french presses and other gear if you want to start making coffee at home. Look at Happy Mug Coffee and Raven's Brew if you want to order and grind your own coffee. I wouldn't go to a local roaster just yet since their tendency to overprice, combined with probable smug and hipsterness would scare you off.
>>
>>7153603
The clover is a cool piece of machinery, and I think it makes a pretty good cup of coffee, and their Reserves can be really good depending on the batch. Honestly, I think Starbucks has good coffee, they just don't sell it everywhere, and it's not a big moneymaker for them. People like their sugar drinks.
>>
How do I make my cold brew not taste super watery?
>>
>>7154004

Use more grounds and/or less water.
>>
Hey I want to buy a bunch of delicious coffee beans through the internet as gifts.

Can I get some recommendations?
>>
>>7154256
Happy Mug Coffee
Wollman's Coffee Roasters
Your local roaster
>>
How do I make a good cup of coffee? I've tried with light and medium roast but it came out terrible.
>>
>>7154294
Uh, ok? A little more detail of what you are currently doing would be great. And what do you mean by terrible? Bitter, sour, watery?
>>
Some dark roast with half and half or sometimes heavy cream
>>
>>7154300
I'm using a coffee drip with three table spoons of coffee grounds. My coffee is pretty bitter.
>>
>>7154341
>three table spoons
For how much water? Bitter = Over-extraction. Usually meaning water is too hot, is in contact with the grounds too long, or grind size is too fine
>>
>>7154280
Thanks friend.
>>
I watched a french new wave film and at one point a man asks for a "cafe vert" (green coffee) i know coffee is green before roasting but does anyone actually drink it or was this just another french new wave "stick in the eye"?
>>
>>7154860

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drinking+green+coffee
>>
>>7155812
I know you CAN drink green coffee but do people ever order one in a cafe? if you did would they make it for you?
>>
>>7156526
Call your local cafe and ask
>>
>>7156526
Most cafes don't have green coffee just lying around.
>>
I rarely drink coffee, but when I do, standard black coffee with or without milk is nice
>>
My mom drinks at least four cups of coffee a day. She currently uses a cheapo drip machine, but I was thinking of getting her a French press for Christmas. Do think that's a step up from what she's using, and which French press would you recommend?
>>
File: CPuXOjYUAAA4jqd.jpg (63 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
CPuXOjYUAAA4jqd.jpg
63 KB, 1024x614
>>7152164
The problem with any ready-made, sealed into a thing coffee solutions like this or say keurigs and all that crap is that it will always have the problem of the coffee not being fresh.

Coffee beans, once roasted, are constantly going stale. Sealing them up so that they don't get exposure to fresh, un-coffee-saturated air will slow this process, but you can't keep Coffee for long in an air tight container and have it remain airtight. Roasted coffee is constantly generating C02 which will fill up any container it is placed in until the pressure causes a breach where ever the seal is weakest. This is why modern coffee bags usually have one of those one way valves to let the C02 build up escape but hopefully not let too much air in.

How the hell can a little container like a keurig address this reality? It can't. There's currently no simple way to mass manufacture some sort of little one-serving sized things and still have the coffee be fresh by the time you use the thing. The result is that they just put in garbage artificial flavourings to make the coffee taste right and the result is some of the shittiest coffee mankind has ever consumed in our history.

There is no way around this, there is no magic bullet that solves this... nor does there need to be. Just roast beans and then grind them up and make coffee with them, it's not complicated. Corporate America constantly trying to solve this non-problem with instant coffee and stupid little k-cup machines that don't make coffee any faster or better than a regular electric drip machine does baffles me. The general stupidity of the public is never to be underestimated though.
>>
>>7157283
i want to reply with a picture of an obese man tipping a fedora so bad
>>
>>7157515
Skerton, obv
>>
>>7157510
Not him, but fuck off.
>>
What are some good variable temperature electric kettles so I can stop guessing when it comes to my brewing temp?
>>
>>7157678
>guessing
i just put my hand on the kettle after 2 minutes and if it gets reasonably hot i turn it off
>>
>>7157678
You could, y'know, use a thermometer. Bonavita is the "standard" because they offer the gooseneck
>>
>>7157067
Please answer.
>>
File: 1305579223561.gif (118 KB, 658x870) Image search: [Google]
1305579223561.gif
118 KB, 658x870
What in your opinion is the best brand of coffee?
>>
>>7157067
Yes. French press absolutely rapes your typical drip machine. It's also a personal thing. French press will produce a much more full bodied, denser (not in a bad way) cup than drip. It will include the oils that would have gotten trapped in the paper filter of a drip machine. You will also have some silt at the bottom of the cup, unless your grinder is absolutely perfect and you plunged really slow, but most people really don't mind it, and you can just stop drinking at the very last drop. The cleanup with a french press is also much more of a drag. Also, if you get the prettier, glass-carafe french press you have to treat it like a baby. It's made of a type of glass that while being able to handle large changes in temperature, can also break if you look at it wrong. They have stainless steel models though. As for which one to buy, literally any french press from Bodum would be awesome. I have the chambord model, and it's pretty much the go-to model. If you really want to get her something really sexy get her the gold-colored one.

If you get a top-tier drip machine that at least gets the water to the proper temperature (~190C-205C), like a Bonavita, Technivorm, or OXO, it would probably compete with the FP. I've honestly never had a cup from one of these machines, unless you count the commercial-grade thousand dollar brewers that cafes use. You might want to consider getting her one of these better drip machines.
>>
I just use a drip and a seperate grinder with whatever whole beans are on sale that week. It's decent enough.

I've gone up to around 8 cups a day now. Make a pot in the afternoon and drink a few hot cups and save half of it to make fufu coffee milkshakes.

How long would I have to abstain from coffee to lose the tolerance to caffeine? I'm sure ~8 cups a day isn't healthy.
>>
File: 220.jpg (31 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220.jpg
31 KB, 220x220
>>7157510
You dropped this, anon.

>>7157283 might have sounded fedora, but it's 100% true. You can't half-ass coffee, and you can't one-eighth ass it with an expensive and incredibly shitty keurig. I don't even think it's as much the stupidity of the public as it is that corporations have successfully fooled the public in to believing that coffee is supposed to taste like the sewage-scrapings that most people drink at starbucks or at their shitty 9-to-5 in the break room.
>>
>>7157283
Amen.
>>7157678
I have the Cuisinart one, works pretty good so far mate.
>>7158263
I prefer aeropress over French press if only because it's so so easy to clean, but if they really need more than one cup of coffee French press is obv better pham.
>>7158283
Don't go from 8 cups to abstaining you'd be hurting pretty bad desu.
>>7158313
Yes, coffee needs to be treated as if it was fresh fruit.
>>
>>7158283
There's study after study that suggests that four to five cups of coffee a day leads to loads of health benefits. So eight cups of coffee will probably do fuck all to you anyway, and might even be good for you. I would go back down to five just to be safe. Heck, they say Voltaire had around 50 cups of coffee a day, albeit mixed with chocolate, and he lived to 83. Which is pretty darn good for the age in which he lived.
>>
>drinking coffee
lel enjoy your high blood pressure and premature death
>>
I drink coffee rarely, but when I do it has a small spoon of sugar with French vanilla cream.
>>7158413
Having anything too much has negatives. I personally don't see how people can drink it everyday either, but to each their own
>>
Recently liking my Hario dripper more than my French press. Not sure why. Guess it is just a different kind of cup.
>>
Cortado in the morning and an espresso with half a brown sugar whenever I need a kick.
>>
I use to drink shitloads of coffee working in a grocery store that had an in store starbucks. Start off with a red eye and get free coffee refills throughout the day. But now I'm down to 1 or 2 a day. Just black coffee. I'm not picky, I have preferences but I'll drink whatever. I really do not like starbucks coffee though. Weirdly super bitter and unpleasant.
>>
File: 349.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
349.png
14 KB, 800x600
I usually drink a mocha java blend. I live in Iceland, so good coffee is hard to find, even though we drink the most of this shit per capita in the world.

I used to brew in a moka pot, but the rubber seal deteriorated and I can't find replacements, so I've just been drinking pour-over for about two years now.
I should get a grinder and import my beans, but it adds a premium to my cup of coffee, and it honestly tastes great as is.
The only cup of coffee I've gotten that's better than what I made at home, I paid like, 8 fucking dollars for.
>>
>>7158626
How do you feel about Bam Margera building a skatepark in your beautiful country?
>>
>>7158628
Well, this is news to me.

He's not sullying the country by any means, because we're fucking full to the brim of skatefags, so he'll fit right in.
He's been beat up here once, though, and I won't be surprised if it happens again.
>>
I just drink instant coffee
>>
File: 06.jpg (184 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
184 KB, 1280x1024
>>7158632
That's for when you're in jail and the only other option is chicory
>>
twice a day aeropress. clean-up is easy, and i enjoy the little ritual. it's five minutes of peace at work
>>
One large mug of black coffee with breakfast.
>>
>>7151863

Reminder to all that Coffee Review's top 30 of 2015 is out.

http://www.coffeereview.com/top-30-coffees-2015/

Have had Kenya AA Kigwandi Estate, Kenya Gachatha AA, Nicaragua Cafe Vidita Los Congos Pacamara Natural, can recommend all as delicious. Big time of year for me.

As far as OP:

Coarse Grind, Filtered Water 5-8 minute steep in French Press.

I have a 5-Cup Mug and I drink one whenever I have a morning to savor it. When you are drinking really good coffee like above its very very strong, if I drank any more my day would be ruined by terrifying anxiety.
>>
>>7158413
>>7158413
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2015/11/10/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.017341.full.pdf+html?sid=5c4b9ef3-96dd-44b8-8188-0a3ca2ec8c9d
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/16/456191657/drink-to-your-health-study-links-daily-coffee-habit-to-longevity

Huge new study just showed that prior studies linking coffee to heart disease and death were polluted by smokers stats.

New study shows that coffee fights stroke and lowers risk of premature death by 16%.
>>
usually just a cup every day, black, and i use a french press...
>>
File: beehouse.jpg (42 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
beehouse.jpg
42 KB, 360x480
anyone have experience brewing with one of these?
>>
>>7159279
I hope you're memeing
>>
>>7152732
>Pretends to know about coffee
>recommends starbucks.

Their espresso comes out of a superauto and they overroast all their beans plus they aren't very fresh.
>>
>>7157678
Bonavita Variable Temp. Gooseneck Kettle.
>>
>>7158127
hacienda esmeralda gesha
>>
>>7159281
Pretty decent entry level pour over but I would recommend the Kalita 155 or 185 over it.
>>
>>7159354
>Pre ground -> Unground, non freshly roasted coffee beans
>>
At least 5-6 cups per day.
Made with a professional coffee machine.
Perks of the industry...free coffee.
>>
File: 1442505882943.jpg (144 KB, 694x488) Image search: [Google]
1442505882943.jpg
144 KB, 694x488
>>7152889

yfw get panic attacks on the daily
yfw still drink coffee all day every day
yfw I'm not a pussy bitch and just deal with my shit like a regular human being.

Nobody even knows I get them. Get on my level.
>>
If a cup of coffee doesn't make you feel like punching someone you're making it wrong. If it's anything less invigorating than that it's shit.
>>
>>7159612
Caffeine doesn't affect everyone equally
>>
>>7151863
cold water, half more than the cup count

3 cups in the morning and 3 in the day and if i am not asleep 5 cups in the evening
>>
>>7159612
If you are just drinking coffee for the caffeine then you might as well just buy caffeine pills. Some of us drink it for the flavor.
>>
>>7159627
>implying it's the caffeine that invigorates me

Caffeine is a side effect.
>>
>>7151863
>tfw de facto FOH manger at a american style bistro
>tfw our morning coffee rush is kind of a big deal, but the real money comes from the night rush
>tfw customers want to have conversations regarding certain roasts and their inherent variations and quality
>tfw I just pull descriptions out of my ass and highly generalize
>tfw yelp reviews rave about how high our qualities and standards are
>that one actual euro guy who brags about how we're better than 99% of Parisian cafes
>tfw sham

Melita pour over. Less than two cups a week. I generally do tea, but I'll take a stiff macchiato any day of the week.
>>
I used this
I drink mostly lungo capsules, kinda expensive the box of capsules

Thinking of buying a whole espresso machine
>>
File: oh considering that.jpg (42 KB, 799x449) Image search: [Google]
oh considering that.jpg
42 KB, 799x449
I drink anywhere between 1 and 5 cups throughout the day, sometimes more and sometimes less.

I only make it for myself, and I don't drink more than one in succession, so I use my pour over (which has to be the best thing I bought for 5 bucks in years). Pretty good overall. It's better when I use filtered water/freshly ground coffee but sometimes I don't have the time/energy.
>>
File: oh an expert.jpg (131 KB, 350x474) Image search: [Google]
oh an expert.jpg
131 KB, 350x474
>>7152136
>How's Keurig coffee?
Disgusting, in my opinion. It's not just the coffee being pre-ground (there's some mediocre/acceptable pre-ground out thre), but it always tastes "off"; burnt and flat and flavorless all at once. The convenience is barely worth it because you still have to wait for the water to boil.

Plus, those little K-Cups are absolutely terrible for the Earth/our landfills/etc.
>>
>tfw the only place around with fresh beans is the local Whole Foods

It gets a bit pricey, but I can't really complain when it's less than 10 minutes away.
>>
>>7159979
Just order it online or get some green beans and roast them. Its 10x cheaper and super simple.
>>
>>7160004
>10x cheaper
Green beans are only about half the cost of specialty roasted beans.
>>
little bit of eggnog with a dark roast is beautiful
also steeping your water with any tea before pressing, pumpkin spice works best
>>
>>7160151
Most freshly roasted beans are about $18 for 12 ounces. Most green beans are about $6 for a pound. So less than 1/3 of the price.

Also, its called hyperbole, I don't think anyone took 10x to be literal considering the chances of any product being exactly x amount cheaper by an even factor of 10 is pretty low.
>>
>>7160195
Made something similar the other day. Doppio ristretto, frothed egg nog, and bourbon
>>
Aeropress inverted + local wood-grilled coffee beans.

Its fucking amazing.
>>
>>7160526
>ruining the flavor and subtlety of coffee.
>>
>>7151863
I just upgraded from a maxwell/auto drip to a French press and whole bean. I got the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee whole bean off amazon and I was blown away, I never thought coffee could taste so good. First brew I did 15gr for 12oz of water (the press itself just holds 12oz of water) and the 2nd brew I did 20gr. I was worried the 20gr would taste very acidic and bitter but it came out just stronger
>>
File: 1431010977098.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1431010977098.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
>>7158263
>190-205C
Are... are you brewing your coffee in a pressure cooker? That's overpressured superheated water.

Also, drip and black.
>>
>>7161261
I-I meant F. What would even happen if you made coffee in a pressure cooker..
>>
>>7151863

Approximately 12 fl ounces every thursday - sunday, aeropress on Thursdays and Sundays, french press on Fridays and Saturdays.

I usually buy two half pound bags of beans of two different origins and I like to brew both types. Hence the change in preparation methods.
>>
>>7161308
It would be bitter.
>>
>>7161347
4 u
>>
>>7158127
Local roasters
>>
Is coffee suppose to taste as good as it smells?
>>
>>7161526
Yes, but there are a lot of factors that can affect that.

Brewing parameters and freshness, mostly.
>>
File: snake-bomb1.jpg (236 KB, 301x748) Image search: [Google]
snake-bomb1.jpg
236 KB, 301x748
Just bought this, hasn't arrived yet. I have a DeLonghi espresso machine that I use to make cappuccino. I only have 2 shots of espresso a day.
>>
>>7159599
>Nobody even knows I get them. Get on my level.
iktf. Been doing that for a few years now.
>>
There's an underlying cause for panic attacks and it's not coffee.
>>
File: 1448053545488.jpg (69 KB, 505x490) Image search: [Google]
1448053545488.jpg
69 KB, 505x490
>>7151863
i don't drink much coffee anymore because it causes my eye to twitch and makes me jittery
but if i drink decaf it defeats the purpose of coffee
>>
>>7151863
I got a small paper filter machine for two cups and a coffee grinder. I switched to this setup from a capsule machine since I'm mostly drinking my coffee without milk anyway.
>>
>>7161784
that sounds terrible, sry to hear that.
>>
>>7151874
Underrated post.
>>
How do you store your beans? I've been keeping mine in a glade freezer bag because I have no air tight containers
>>
>>7161243
Now everyone else's coffee tastes like shit
>>
>>7162199
Air tight Ball jars.

They don't prevent the beans from going stale, but they slow the process down long enough.
>>
But anon coffee is bad for you.
>>
>>7162366
So is grammar, apparently.
>>
>>7162381
Nobody should care on a message board really.
>>
>>7162384
You should still take the time to learn a little bit.
>>
>>7162388
At least address the argument. I write perfectly in university classes. Don't make me write another victory mark in my argument log.
>>
>>7162394
>At least address the argument.
You need red marks for commas? Speak out loud and you will find them.
>>
>>7162398
So you admit defeat! Do not continue these vile threads about coffee. Many know people only drink it ironically here anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20151129_131950.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_131950.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>7162400
Bruv, I got my shit in order
>>
>People relying on old false studies about caffeine being evil
>>
>>7162405
You mean the acidity
>>
File: napoleanspyramids.jpg (52 KB, 310x499) Image search: [Google]
napoleanspyramids.jpg
52 KB, 310x499
>>7162405
What? Like the bible? Surely there's better fiction than that out now. Personally, I like my historical fiction like Indiana Jones kinda shit or cold war stuff
>>
>>7162423
>tips $15.75
>>
Anyone own a fancy automatic burr grinder? I've been manually grinding my coffee for over a year now and I'm officially bored with it and looking to spend a few hundred on a reliable and effective grinder, but not sure of a good one to pick up.
I use an Aeropress.
>>
>>7163250
Do you plan on doing espresso?
>>
>>7163250
I've had this for 2 years now. Amazon had a sale and I paid $150 for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043EWFAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_qbjBwbK774237

Before this I used a hand crank and it was a bitch to get enough coffee ready. Now my French Press is an idiot proof 3 step process. The electric display is honestly what really sold me on this model.

The bad reviews on Amazon largely come from Espresso geeks, I think they're frankly the snobbiest coffee drinkers but with that said this probably isn't the model for Espresso making. But really if you've got the cash for Espresso machine go above $200 for your grinder. This machine is perfect for an aero press or French Press.
>>
>>7162404
>Clip on the inside of the carafe

How does that work? Do you have to put the filter in at an angle?
>>
>>7163315
Yea, just to insert it at the top. Easily fits because of the spout on the opposite side. The lid has an indent.
>>
>>7162404
This looks more like a drug operation than a coffee setup.
>>
>>7165411
Obligatory
>>
File: DSC_0516.jpg (1 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0516.jpg
1 MB, 1280x853
>>7165411
>>7167258
Dropped the pic.
>>
My girlfriend brought her keurig machine with her when she moved in so I just have one cup on medium every morning
>>
>>7151863
At work I drink the stale, shit-tier, mass-brewed drip coffee because it's free. When I make it at work, I double the amount of grounds in the filter to try and get some better flavor. I also clean the pot every time before I brew at work. It's tolerable, but barely.

At home, I have a french press that gets used occasionally, a two-serving drip machine that sees regular use, and an espresso machine that I would use almost every hour or so of every day if it wouldn't kill me.

I buy whole, roasted beans from a local Co-Op and grind just before brewing at home. I buy breakfast blend for the drip machine and espresso roast for the espresso maker (imagine that!).

I prefer my coffee straight, but lately I've gotten into making lattes at home, especially egg-nog lattes because they are delicious.
>>
>>7167417
How do you even put up with shitty office coffee? I quit drinking that crap immediately after I started making my own at home and realized how bad it actually was.
>>
>>7151863
a lot & espresso burner like on the stove
>>
The amount of people in this thread that do my favorite hobby so utterly wrong is disgusting me
>>
>>7167803
Then take the time to enlighten instead of whine.
>>
I've been drinking coffee black daily since I was 16. I'm probably gonna die soon.
>>
>>7160151
>>7160498
>eggnog + strong coffee

Monicas.
>>
>>7162404
>autism detected
>>
>>7151863
Coffee pleb here. What makes speciality coffee a speciality?
>>
>>7162404
I like this setup and mine consists of the same things expect that thermos and whatever that white appliance is
>>
>>7167423
did you miss the part where I said it's free? Sometimes, you just need something to get the job done. For me, the work coffee keeps me awake at my desk when I need it. And that's all I really need it to do.

I'm also not a picky person in general. I mean, I can enjoy the shit out of some foie gras, truffle oil, deviled quail eggs, but I can also enjoy scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and diced has browns from Waffle House. And both of those things give roughly the same amount of happiness when I have them. Basically, at work I put up with the coffee because it's the most cost-effective, pragmatic option. At home, I enjoy good coffee because I like to spend my money on what makes me happy.
>>
File: P1070638procres.jpg (102 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
P1070638procres.jpg
102 KB, 1000x750
>>7168332
Have you acquired the taste for black coffee yet?

That is, are you able to drink it without wincing?
>>
>>7168555
I've never drank coffee any other way. What I'm asking is what is special about coffee beans from one roaster to another. Is there a roasting technique that is applied?
>>
>>7168555
What the fuck about black coffee could possibly make you wince?
Jesus fucking Christ.
It's like the American palette consists of Sugar Jew cock and Black Bull semen.
>>
>>7168332
Care. Most mass-market coffee like folgers, maxwell house, dunkin donuts, etc. don't put the care into the coffee that they sell because they've optimized for the mass-market consumers who just wants some caffeinated black fluid. Care needs to be put into what coffee is planted, where it was planted, how it was tended to, how it was processed, to what roast level it was roasted, and how soon after it was roasted will it be sold.

Of course specialty coffee then needs to be stored and brewed properly. It has to be grinded not longer than 15 minutes before it is brewed.
>>
>>7151863
are lattes coffee?
>>
I love coffee but it makes my stomach upset
>>
>>7168994
Ah, to be in love...
>>
do any of you guys subscribe to those monthly curated coffee things, i've always wanted to buy one as a gift to a friend but I dont even know if they are any good
>>
File: ss (2015-12-14 at 04.35.30).png (367 KB, 638x351) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-14 at 04.35.30).png
367 KB, 638x351
COWFEE
>>
File: GREEN TEA.png (773 KB, 1278x717) Image search: [Google]
GREEN TEA.png
773 KB, 1278x717
>>7169003
GUREEN TEEE
>>
I'll be completely honest, I have no shame.

>one teaspoon of instant nescafe gold blend in cup
>add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and a bit of cinnamon, or cinnamon sugar if that's all i've got in the pantry
>add water, about a tbsp or two of water, mix until dissolved
>add milk

It's more like a cinnamon coffee flavour milk but fuck you, it's amazing.
>>
I can't drink black coffee without getting a stomach ache. Am I really missing anything by adding milk?
>>
>>7169097
no
>>
>>7169097
Calcium maybe
>>
>>7169097
What temperature are you brewing at? Try 80-85C instead of boiling.
>>
>>7151863
About 300ml in the morning. Medium roast, freshly ground, pour over. I use a manual hario burr grinder modified so I can attach an electric drill to it. Not as consistent grind as a good electric burr grinder but good enough for pour over.
>>
File: IMG_20151214_165725.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151214_165725.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Drinking a pseudo aeropress cappu with some of the best biscuit I've ever had.

Feels good man
>>
2 in the afternoon when I wake up and 2-3 at night when I work. Usually straight black with a few ice cubes so I can drink it immediately.
>>
>>7169024
I like a tiny bit of cinnamon in my coffee around the winter time too
>>
I mostly drink instant shit because of how convenient it is and I'm a lazy wreck in the morning. I do french press if drinking with other people.
I want to start using an espresso maker though, and get a milk foamer - I fucking love cappuccino.
>>
File: 1442705420330.gif (4 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1442705420330.gif
4 MB, 512x384
I'm a students who is going to need lots of coffein soon as the exams are coming. I have no idea about coffee and how to make it. Could someone give me some advices? Don't want to spend too much for it. What about those pads/capsule machines?
>>
File: aeropress.jpg (16 KB, 260x523) Image search: [Google]
aeropress.jpg
16 KB, 260x523
For maximum convenience, Keurig + re-usable cups you fill with your own coffee + your choice of ground up coffee is the best bet. Or disposable Keurig cups but the quality is pretty bad.

If you want to the best quality without spending too much, a simple grinder for coffee beans + an aeropress will do you well. You grind up the beans, store in them in the freezer, and then when you want an aeropressed coffee you stick the beans over the filter, pour clean hot water over it, and pump the press into your mug.
>>
>>7170253
Sorry, you don't stick the beans over the filter, you stick the ground up coffee.
>>
>>7170181
Go instant with some sugar.
It won't taste the best, but it works.
>>
>>7170181
swap coffee out with nightly alcohol and cigarettes. way more unhealthy, but it feels so much better.
>>
>Dad bought me an aeropress years ago
>Never got around to using it
>Find it recently
>Can't find the filters.

I can just cut a normal filter into the same circle size, right?
>>
>>7170300
I believe so.
>>
>>7170181
Pick yourself up a 6 cup moka pot and some cafe bustelo or pilon. I'd go for the bialetti moka express. Bustelo is really bold and in your face, but it'll wake the shit out of you (likely because it contains the more-caffeinated robusta coffee), especially if done in a moka pot. You can cut it with milk and sugar, or dilute it with water.

If you want something more tasteful after you can get a french press and some freshly roasted beans
>>
File: IMG_0900.jpg (355 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0900.jpg
355 KB, 800x600
Post your favorite cup(s) to drink coffee from.
This is the only pic I have of my favorite. The unemployed philosopher guild is based.
>>
File: shimapan mug.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
shimapan mug.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7170347
I bought this mug entirely because it looked just like shimapan
>>
>>7170355
>shimapan
That's exactly what I thought of before reading your comment. Nice cup.
>>
>>7170347
lmao the fucks up with your finger?
>>
>>7170355
where 2 cop
>>
>>7170363
Walmart, surprisingly.

I happened to go in with a friend and wandered to the cookware section. The mug caught my eye immediately.

>tfw drinking liquids from shimapan
>>
>>7170359
Your sis' vagina was so tight it made it thinner.
>>
>>7170355
>>7170367
That's extremely lewd. A bit jelly.
>>
>>7170367
...I might end up going to see if they have that now.
I don't need anymore mugs,THANKS ANON.
>>
File: 0065_1.jpg (98 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
0065_1.jpg
98 KB, 600x600
>>7170347 here
Planning to buy this soon
>>
>>7170378
>that's extremely lewd
And the best part is that no one else I know gets the reference. I get to laugh in my head every time I drink from it around people. All that lewdness.

>>7170379
Goodluck and godspeed anon
>>
Got a cheap Moka pot today. Really liking the taste.
>>
File: 00l0l_19qCwfG5gSf_600x450.jpg (26 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00l0l_19qCwfG5gSf_600x450.jpg
26 KB, 600x337
Got one of these for that nostalgia
>>
>>7162404
>no grinder
no you don't
>>
>>7162404
>>7170673
The faggot probably buys pre-grinded
>>
2 liters
> cappuccino master race
>dark roast
>I use half and half
I'd make sometimes with a French press or a Brewer
>>
>>7170673
>>7170785
There's modded Skerton to the right
>>
>>7152164
they had Is The Order A Rabbit pour over bags.
shit is cash
>>
File: Torus.png (35 KB, 310x260) Image search: [Google]
Torus.png
35 KB, 310x260
>>7170347
R8 my favorite cup m8s
>>
3-4 cups per day
light brown instant coffee + dry milk + hot water
>>
>>7157510
"Aww I don't have hobby or interests so let's belittle those who do :( "
>>
>>7170595
That's pretty sick.

What model and year is it?
>>
>>7152136
I use a keurig with reusable cups and the coffee comes out very weak, even instant folgers tastes more like coffee. I'll probably stop using it once I run out of tea k-cups.
>>
>>7151874
in all seriousness, this.
>>
>>7170347
ayy
>>
File: madotsuki barf.jpg (139 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
madotsuki barf.jpg
139 KB, 600x600
>>7171336
>I'll probably stop using it once I run out of tea k-cups.
>once I run out of tea k-cups.
>tea k-cups.
>>
>>7161434

pleb tier 3rd wave coffee good job
>>
File: Photo Dec 11, 10 37 29 AM.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Photo Dec 11, 10 37 29 AM.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hario V60, Jennings cj5000, random gooseneck kettle.

24g of coffee - 280g water (4 minute extraction time)
>>
>>7163250
Lido 2 or 3. Best you can get for that price.
>>
>>7163250

Baratza encore. best entry level electric grinder
>>
>>7151961
If it happened w/in the last 2 months be upfront and call them out & hit them up for the funds to replace it. I live alone now but me and all my former roommates wouldn't let this shit fly with one another. I'd be embarrassed if I was oblivious enough to actually BREAK a French press.

If it's been longer than a couple months however, call yourself a beta pussy the next time you catch your reflection and muster up the bux cause you've missed your window of opportunity. Live and learn.
>>
>>7159939

Just got a Genio a couple of days ago, loving it.

Particularly since the boxes down here are like 40% off from the US price tag. They're not expired or anything either, it's just, we just like our damn coffee!
>>
>>7170385
>>7170347
I have the first lines of lines of literature mug. It's a qt. I gifted the Dr. Who mug to my sister.
>>
>>7151863
good beans
$10 grinder
good beans
$10 mr. coffee
good beans
good beans

Seriously the largest difference in any coffee prep has boiled down (HYUK) to grinding them yourself just before brewing and to keep trying different brands from different regions until you find one you really like. You will probably be spending at least $10 for a 1 pound bag.

I may spend $16 a pound but it still works out to like 30 cents per cup which is much less than a shittier cup from a coffee shop.

Espresso uses a fine grind, which is the most economical way to get the most out of your beans, especially since its concentrated into shots.

French press need a course grind, which although makes a good luxury cup of oily coffee, feels like a waste of beans because you are minimizing surface area.

Medium grind for your standard American drip is the best middle ground for flavor and oil, ease of creation, and economy in my opinion.
>>
>>7172003
You'd need to shell out on a decent drip machine, putting you back at least ~$100. Cheaper drip machines don't get the water hot enough for proper extraction. You'd be squandering your good, freshly-roasted beans. Perhaps a pour-over like a v60 or a melitta would be better.

I'd say you're right about the french press. I use 21 grams of coffee in my 3-cup (just enough for one person) french press, for a 1:14 ratio, and it comes out 61 to 81 cents a cup (depending on the coffee beans). It is a very good, full-bodied cup that does the coffee justice, but it's double the price of your 30 cents cup.
>>
>>7170347
I want to get this without the words
>>
>>7172069
>shell out on a decent drip machine

I use 35-40 grams of beans to make 6 "cups" of coffee every morning, which fills 3 large mugs. Its a very strong brew and packs a punch so I really doubt I need to splurge on an expensive machine. If I was really worried about the temperature I would just switch to pour over mode with my electric kettle rather than waste money.

I would only want to spend lots of dosh on an espresso maker, since you really cant replicate the process but its less of a headache to get espresso at a good cafe.
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.