[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do y'all feel about induction stove tops?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4
File: ir-fpcf3091lf-f1_004_l01.jpg (579 KB, 2700x2609) Image search: [Google]
ir-fpcf3091lf-f1_004_l01.jpg
579 KB, 2700x2609
How do y'all feel about induction stove tops?
>>
it's incredible how fast water boils. it's like 10 seconds.
>>
>>7151796
I just moved out of a place that had an induction stove. They heat the pan very quickly - id say they offer as much heat control as a gas stove top. However, buying pans is a real chore. A lot of them dont work.
>>
I have one and I don't fucking like it at all.
>>
>>7151796
They're amazing for using at home and certain situations in a professional kitchen like boiling water or reheating soups/sauces but I prefer a gas range. Fire has been an integral part of cooking for pretty much all of time. You could never replace it completely.
>>
seems like a newfangled gizmo
>>
>>7151800
I thought you were memeing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiodED9J79E
I'm amazed. It takes me like 10 minutes to boil water on my electric range
>>
>>7151847
I'm not really too impressed with that, my gas burner does it about that fast.
full disclosure, its retardedly strong, at max the flame licks up the sides of the pot
>>
Outside of sugar/chocolate work or something else where you need precision heating, it's pretty gimmicky. Much prefer gas, but it's good in small/temp spaces like doing catering, events, pop-ups, etc
>>
>>7151796
not a 100% on it, but i like them. takes some time to get used to but it gets hotter and heats up faster than the gas tops i've used. Really like it for searing, but still getting inconsistent results for things like crepes, fried rice, and rendering fat out of meat among other things
>>
>>7151989
>>7151987
>>7151818

Well of course it's not as good as gas, but it seems a lot better than the new style electric ranges that take forever to heat up and then never cool
>>
>can't heat up a tortilla on them
>can't instantly light your cigarette off of them
>can't grill over them

fuck em
>>
>>7151836
>newfangled

It's been around for over 40 years.
>>
>>7152030
i didnt mean to imply that gas was better, i actually prefer the induction top in most instances. theyre just different and each one takes getting used to imo
>>
Worked with gas stoves in kitchens my whole life, if I had the money when I opened my restaurant I would of gotten full induction, the accuracy is great, the only problem is aluminum pans are cheaper then steel pans, for me to buy a 50L aluminum pot for stocks vs a steel pot it'd be about a 250 dollar difference, which is pretty damn expensive for one piece of gear.
>>
>>7152245
never worked in a restaurant or owned one, but how often do you replace those pots? i imagine the time/money saved on cleaning and maintenance might make up for the difference over a few months
>>
>>7152036
>can't explode your house
>>
>>7151796

the g/fs mother has a new induction range which I cook on every so often. This christmas im making dinner for everyone so I get to use it again, and while yes it is pretty fancy to use i always worry about breaking it. I like to slam pot and pans down, throw shit on the range, and the last thing I need is to break her shit on christmas morning making pancakes.

sure i could be more careful, but WHYshould I change?
>>
>>7152365
That is my problem too, it is easy to scratch the fuck out of the glass on-top.

It is also slippy so you have to hold the pan when stirring light sauces or making a roux, which is pretty inefficient.

The speed and accuracy is ace thou
>>
>>7151809
Just get carbon or cast iron. My shitty cheap iron wok gets smoking hot within seconds on induction.
>>
I've been considering buying a countertop induction burner just for some things that I would like to have more control over. It's more than a pain to use my electric range.
>>
>accuracy
wtf do people mean by that? Induction cook tops go through heating cycles like any other electric element. You can't tilt a pot or pan while on heat on a convection set up, which, granted, I don't do often, but it's nice to be able to for various things. The only pros that I can think of are that they're more efficient and heat up faster than normal gas or electric cook tops, and they're more retard proof. They're also more expensive. You can get high BTU gas tops that will heat up as fast for the same price, so, as long as you aren't retarded, the only thing they really have going for them is efficiency.
>>
>>7152359
> can't explode your enemy's house
>>
I've never cooked on one, but i'd give it a try just out of curiosity.
I'm just not a fan of electric stoves in general, no matter how advanced or fancy they get.
Give me a nice gas flame to cook over and i'm comfy as fuck.
I like being able to see the size and color of the flame, so I have exact control over it.
It takes out all of the guesswork needed, because every single electric stove is different, and every gas range is exactly the same. Fire makes the same heat around the world.

(..unless you live on top of a mountain or some shit where the air pressure apparently messes with your boiling point)
>>
I'm not allowed to have fire in my apartment (its a pretty shitty place in San Francisco) and I was considering buying one of those portable induction stoves to cook with. Are they good for general cooking?
>>
>>7152556
induction stoves in general are the most energy efficent stove there is. Very little heat gets lost to the environment, they heat things up really quickly and cool down just as fast. The only downside is they don't work with aluminium bottoms, it has to be some variation of iron. So stainless steel, cast iron and carbon pans are fine.

Where I live pretty much every pan these days has a stainless steel bottom so it's compatible with induction stoves.
>>
>>7152556
You're not allowed to cook where you live? Wow.
>>
>>7152036
Smoking in the house is fucking disgusting, kill yourself my man.
>>
>>7152556
>pretty shitty place in San Francisco
that will be 3k a month goy.
>>
>>7152036
Can't heat tortillas or grill over gas ranges either, and they're infinitely better than the electric shit you're praising.
Get a fucking pan.
>>
Never had gas and I find it pretty scary, but I had Induction for a year while living as a tenant and I fucking love it. Extremely fast to do things, and compared to my old stove from the 80's, it really stays on the heat-number I told it to. 1-15, when I made pancakes, number 7 was perfect, I got to flip them after 35 seconds, if it was set to 8 it was to hot. Extremely consistent performance.
>>
>>7151809
They have to be magnetic, and I'm pretty sure all manufacturers prints what kinds of stoves they work for, at least here in Sweden all pots and pans are clearly labeled.
>>
It's sorcery! Burn the witch!!
>>
>>7151796
id rather have gas. i have one now, and it works but it isnt quick.
>>
>>7151796
I don't like those smooth tops because I can't use my cast iron or copper-bottom pots and pans without scratching them.
I'll just stick to gas.
>>
Induction is great if you have cookware that can distribute the heat well. I had a shitty thin aluminum frying pan that would consistently burn food in the circle that the reactive metal was attached to on the bottom that allowed the pan to work on induction. When I used cast iron on it though it was incredible. I prefer gas because it's a bit more versatile but induction is ok. Electric is shit though.
>>
It's cool in a TECHNOLOGY sort of way, and I like the efficiency and speed. I'd always go for gas though, it's nice having an actual flame to work with and hear, and the stove tops tend to feel more robust for smashing woks around.

If I could get a gas stove that was as easy to wipe down as an induction though, that would be bang on.
>>
I'm really jelly. I have a shitty leccy cooker.
>>
File: 1446670075949.png (172 KB, 342x500) Image search: [Google]
1446670075949.png
172 KB, 342x500
>>7152590
>cant heat tortilla over gas range

[spoiler]low heat, you fucking idiot[/spoiler]
>>
>>7151796
It works good for things you don't have to control the temperature for. It's super easy to burn the shit of things. Also most inductions I've had the heat does not spread evenly like with gas. Also a burning hazard. Also it only works certain pans meaning ones with iron in them. Otherwise, it's good. Better than electric.

Gas is still king in my opinion though.
>>
>>7152927
moon on a stick
>>
Working short order, they're fucking glorious. I probably wouldn't have one at home until I could afford the cookware to go with it
>>
If you live in a hot climate and cook a lot induction will heat up your house a lot less.

Many people prefer it to gas.
>>
>>7153955
>turn heat on low
>electric hob still goes crazy hot, just for a very short period of time, counting on the element to retain some heat and a thick bottomed pan to even the heat out enough so it doesn't suck ass

enjoy your scorched tortillas
>>
the pans need to be in contact with the surface of an induction top to heat up, a warped pan will suck ass on induction, enjoy all your flat bottomed woks, you weeb

expensive, and the cost of electricity and gas is so small that, unless you're approaching perpetual motion machines, efficiency isn't going to offset the extra price except maybe if you make it last for 30 years while cooking on it all day every day

go through heating cycles - this means heat goes on for a period of time, then off for a period of time, even if you set the dial to maximum, creating a less consistent heat source and making thick pans more necessary

most models have the same shitty glass top that a lot of normal electric cook tops have, which is not as durable as a cook top should be
>>
>>7151968
I had a commercial kitchen stove in my house for a while.

Had to get rid of it because I was scorching the ceiling.
>>
>>7152608
I had gas since forever and I still become paranoid every time I turn it on to boil water in my teapots.
>>
>>7154267
Why would you be scared? What would happen?
>>
>>7154223

>the pans need to be in contact with the surface of an induction top to heat up, a warped pan will suck ass on induction, enjoy all your flat bottomed woks, you weeb

Are you fucking retaded?
>>
You can't have gas where I live, so induction is the best choice I have. Works splendidly for everything except woks
>>
>>7153955
>i dye my hair crazy colors
>hair is black
>>
>>7151847
that's like a sauce pan, a regular electric boils water that fast on high
>>
>>7151809
what? how is that a chore or don't you understand how induction works?
anyways i just love induction stove tops. so fast and easy to control. basically just better than everything else
>>
Can you crank the heat on all four "burners" at once, or are you limited by a maximum wattage?

It takes my kettle about two minutes to boil a litre of water, and that's basically maxed out.
>>
Induction: 84% efficiency
Electric: 74% efficiency
Gas: 40% efficiency

plus its faster and you dont need to clean burn-on shit

especially if you live in a solar/windpower state the only reason to use gas is if you are literally hitler
>>
>>7155679
Gas is much easier to visibly control how much heat you want to put out, something every chef needs
>>
>>7155691
electric can simmer lower than gas can.

checkmate fool
>>
>>7155691
i never encountered a dish where i need to control the temperature so precisely that 6 setting arent enough

most of the time i use max, almost-max and set it and forget it - medium low anyway
>>
>>7155679
You can get new biologically produced gas instead of fossil natural gas.
>>
>>7155691
It also regulates heat instantly, gas, that is. Electric stoves take forever to cool down and heat up, even with perfect timing you can ruin things left and right.
>>
OTOH, electric ovens are great.
>>
>>7152256

Well if you did work in a restaurant you'd know that you never replace pots or pans.

I sear fish out of an all-clad pan that lost the handle 3 years ago, I can still use tongs to move it to the oven, so I still use it.
>>
>>7152534

m8 youre talking out your fuckin ass, if you want to hold water at 180 degrees on induction you will have a variable of 3-5 degrees, doing it on gas you're looking at 10+, these things are consistent as fuck.
>>
>>7156000
Water boils at 100 degrees under normal pressure.
>>
Aga is the best desu lads
>>
>>7152551
>Fire makes the same heat around the world.

Idiot
>>
Gas is banned in my flat so yeah.
>>
>>7156021
0/10 for making me respond
>>
File: Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png (289 KB, 725x612) Image search: [Google]
Phase_diagram_of_water.svg.png
289 KB, 725x612
>>7156102
That's basic science.
>>
>>7156021
>>7156102
there is clearly a cultural conflict going on
>>
>>7156021
kek
>>
>>7152534
Temperature fluctuation would be a problem of precision rather than accuracy desu
>>
/g/ and /sci/ are worse than /fit/ sometimes
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.