[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Russian food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 1356832121643.jpg (91 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1356832121643.jpg
91 KB, 700x525
Aside from vodka, pickles, and borschdt. What are some Russian dishes worth trying? I rarely see anything regarding their food. Bonus points if it's something I can easily cook.
>>
>>7151404
I don't know many but my favorites that my grandma made are Shishliki and Piroshki:

http://www.kamsack.ca/default.aspx?page=25

Shishliki sounds simple but is amazing cooked over a fire or BBQ. Don't bother if you don't have a BBQ since the char is an essential part of the overall flavor.

Piroshki have fillings as pierogies do but they use a different dough that is baked instead of boiled/fried. They can be filled with pretty much any kind of mashed vegetable. Serve with melted butter and smetana/sour cream.

We usually made a whole bunch at once in different flavours:

Cottage Cheese (sweet or savory)
Carrot
Beet
Potato & onion
Baked bean (I never liked these ones really)

There is also a peasant-style soup that she used to make called Zatirka or something similar. Basically it was a potato, onion and dumpling soup seasoned with salt and heavily with black pepper.

Start by making the "dumplings" - make a simple egg and flour dough seasoned with salt and pepper and pinch off small pieces onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350F or so just until they are starting to brown. Boil diced/chunked potatoes in a big pot of water. When soft, remove the potatoes; save the water as it will be used for broth. In a seperate pot, cook diced onion in butter until clear. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 of the diced potatoes and mash them lightly. Add the potato water, the remaining diced potato, and the dumpings. Cook for a little bit and season with more salt and pepper to taste. The final soup should be quite thick so you may want to add the broth last and just enough to cover the ingredients.
>>
bumpan for ruskies
>>
File: IMG_20151124_000219_7.jpg (61 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151124_000219_7.jpg
61 KB, 768x768
П E Л Ь M E H И
П
E
Л
Ь
M
E
H
И

Any Russian table will also have a multitude of salads and breads. My favorite is шaкapaп

https://russianreport.wordpress.com/russian-cuisine-main-salads-soups-desserts/russian-salads-olivie-carrot-crab-corn-beet-vinegret/
>>
night time bump
>>
Buckwheat blinis

covered with smetana, cold smoked salmon/gravlax, finely chopped red onion and caviar/salmon roe.

maybe a dash of honey.
>>
Olivier salad is god-tier
http://www.enjoyyourcooking.com/salads/russian-salad-olivier.html

If you don't mind eating herring, Shuba is a very nice salad that goes great with vodka
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/213107/russian-beet-salad-with-herring/

Cheese and garlic salad
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/86659/russian-cheese-salad/
It's optimal to grate the cheese finely, and you can use half mayo and half sour cream

My family makes them all for new years, it's fucking delicious, very heavy sorts of dishes but are they ever good. Can't wait

There's plenty more
>>
fina lbnump
>>
My grandma made pierogies she would boil them then bake them. I have no idea if this was a family thing or a Ukrainian thing but I fucking miss them.
>>
borsch soup or however its spelled is fucking awesome
>>
Buckwheat porridge with ground beef. From memory its called kasha or something like that, i had it once and it was amazing.

Also basic salads, tomato cucumber and lettuce type things that are pretty standard at buffets.
>>
>>7151447
>potato and onion piroshki

I would eat that.
>>
File: Beef-and-Buckwheat-Soup-500x334.jpg (172 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
Beef-and-Buckwheat-Soup-500x334.jpg
172 KB, 500x334
>>7155116
The soup form looks tasty as fuck.
>>
>>7151404
>borsc
not russian
>>7152115
>П E Л Ь M E H И
not russian
>>7152447
>Buckwheat blinis
not russian
>>
>>7156219
>you
not russian
>>
Golubtsy aka stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls. It's fucking awesome.
>>
File: 2015-12-10_13.32.53.jpg (475 KB, 1437x1014) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10_13.32.53.jpg
475 KB, 1437x1014
>>7151447
>piroshki
Comrade, my babushka is ukranian and would make them all the time, she put a mixture of beef, pork, egg, and a little offal in hers, never made any different flavors though. Pic related is piroshki I made the other day with beef, turkey, carrot, and dill inside.
>>7151404
If you want to make piroshkis easily, I would buy some premade pizza dough instead of making it yourself. My grandma did this the other day and I actually prefer them this way. The dough was perfectly crunchy and chewy. Pizza dough is slightly harder to work with though when making the piroshki.
>>
>>7151404
Cat blini its a must
>>
>>7151447
>shishliki
>"""""""""""""russian""""""""""""""" food
>>
File: 1448715627071.jpg (18 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1448715627071.jpg
18 KB, 419x249
>>7156525
>>
File: 14496647733140.jpg (49 KB, 879x552) Image search: [Google]
14496647733140.jpg
49 KB, 879x552
>>7156219
>borsc
>not russian
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.