[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your white powder of choice for baking pies? Is tapioca
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: the other white powder.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
the other white powder.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
What's your white powder of choice for baking pies? Is tapioca powder worth the extra money vs cornstarch vs ap flour? My fillings taste good but I cant slice the with fillings like berries that have a lot of juice without the filling leaking out the crust.

I don't par bake the crust unless the recipe says so. I've seen recipes for the same types of pie some being baking in a par baked crust others in a raw one. I need some pie knowledge ck.
>>
>>7151333
You should basically always pre bake crusts. Also I prefer the texture of tapioca, though it's an admittedly subtle difference that no one else in my family seems to notice.
>>
>>7151333
What do you use?

I have only ever used tapioca and I can do clean cuts even on a raspberry pie which basically becomes all mush/sauce.
>>
use clear jel
>>
>>7151333
I just use cocaine, it's a bit more expensive, but it makes for one hell of a pie
>>
File: Montana-cocaine_donuts.jpg (35 KB, 500x537) Image search: [Google]
Montana-cocaine_donuts.jpg
35 KB, 500x537
>>7151333
>>7151471
>>
i'm not sure what OP is asking

if you're asking how to make the pastry for the crust, then i always just use plain flour, and i've never seen a recipe ask for anything else

you should ALWAYS blind bake first, and if you're using a very wet filling, then brush beaten egg into the base toward the end of the blind baking a few times (take it out the oven a few mins before the end, and brush the egg on, put it back in, and repeat maybe once or twice more), cos then you'll have a waterproof seal, so you won't get any sogginess
>>
File: thickener.png (597 KB, 852x607) Image search: [Google]
thickener.png
597 KB, 852x607
>>7151530
he's talking about thickeners for the filling
>>
File: fillings1.png (126 KB, 553x970) Image search: [Google]
fillings1.png
126 KB, 553x970
>>
File: fillings2.png (91 KB, 548x755) Image search: [Google]
fillings2.png
91 KB, 548x755
>>
File: fillings3.png (40 KB, 531x378) Image search: [Google]
fillings3.png
40 KB, 531x378
>>
>>7151366
cornstarch. I use to use flour but the amount O was putting in to thicken gave a weird taste to some of the fillings.
>>
>>7151333
Arrowroot.

Also, don't worry so much about filling leaking out, you can have a perfectly tasty pie without it geling completely.

I never prebake the crust on a fruit pie, I only do that for pies with an initially all-liquid filling; custard type pies.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.