[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vegetarian food that isn't rabbit tier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: 361164.jpg (40 KB, 417x550) Image search: [Google]
361164.jpg
40 KB, 417x550
hey guys, i have this girlfriend who's a vegetarian and i like to cook for her, except all my specialities are meat, with meat juice and a side of meat. I've actually specialized in using vegetables because they complement the meat and make it seem like theres more meat.

except now i feel like making food for her, she's ok with me eating meat when she's also there but it doesn't feel good. also she's making me realize maybe i should go for some quality rather than quantity.

anyways I really miss something in my food when there's no meat and even beans and lentils and such don't really satisfy me.
falafel is the only thing that i would really suffice but apart from needing a deep fryer (which I have but she doesn't) it's nice to have some other ideas.
BTW, I'd like to minimize soy(I'd like to keep my dick) and I can't stand cheese.
anyone?

TLDR: plant-based food that isn't rabbit-food.
>>
>>7150049
>(I'd like to keep my dick)
too late for that, betafag
>>
Try some vege curries, there is huge variety and you can use the same genetic veg each time
Onion, carrot, pepper, broad beans, whatever you like etc...

Serve with rice or naan bread duh
>>
It sounds to me like you have a pathological dependency on meat and need to diversify your diet.

Your comment about soy doesn't even make sense. You are aware that meat and dairy has natural estrogen in it at comparable to higher levels than soy? Soy doesn't even have estrogen, mind you, just estrogen-analogs which don't even affect male hormonal levels unless consumed at ridiculous doses. What are you going to tell me next, that you avoid bananas because you don't want cancer, since the potassium in bananas are radioactive?

If you are deadset on avoiding soy and tofu like a retard, I recommend seitan (vital wheat gluten) as a very "meaty" substitute to meat. Potatoes are also good, though they tend to have some antinutrients. Sweet potatoes and yams are an excellent choice, and are extremely nutritious. (I'm about to have one right now). You could also have other "meaty" plants, such as mushrooms and carrots. Simply having a few bananas and a pear is a nutritious meal, as well, and will fill you up.

If you want to start eating in a way that your girlfriend will respect, stop thinking of your side dishes as mere side dishes. Think about how it would be like to have them as the main course. If you eat meat at all, it should be as the side dish. That way, you eat more nutritiously and your diet isn't such a morally bankrupt impact on the environment.
>>
>>7150613
certain penis anormalities have been found to occur more often in vegetarians and it's been linked to the soy.
Anyways i don't avoid soy like a retard, I just would prefer not to make it a staple food and keep it in the condiment section. also tofu tastes like cheese, which i hate.

>Simply having a few bananas and a pear is a nutritious meal, as well, and will fill you up.
dude seriously that's only carbs. I'm not a carb-avoider but i need my fat and protein.

I guess lentils are the way to go in terms of nutrition and now that i think of it, yeast extract (think vegemite and stock cubes) have that distinct savoury taste i'm after, I'll try combining those.
>>
File: 1410026348518.jpg (37 KB, 560x354) Image search: [Google]
1410026348518.jpg
37 KB, 560x354
>>7150658
>penis abnormalities

I don't believe you.
>>
>>7150658
Do you have an actual link on that? Like, to an actual scientific study? Or is this just another fearmongering article on Men's Health?

Tofu can be cooked literally over a hundred different ways and can be seasoned with any condiment or marinade you want because of its ability to soak up fluids. I don't know what tofu you've eaten, but raw and unseasoned tofu has a very distinct but mild plant flavor.

>dude seriously that's only carbs. I'm not a carb-avoider but i need my fat and protein.
The average adult male needs only about 0.37–0.65g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. Male athletes need no more than 0.82g/kg of protein per day. I suspect that if you count your current dietary consumption, you'll be having triple that much protein—most people have more protein than they need, especially if they eat meat. For me, I eat an almost exclusively plant-based diet and I easily meet, if not exceed, my daily protein of 56g without even eating tofu or seitan. When I do, I usually get 110%+ my daily protein, sometimes as high as 150% or more.

If you're so concerned about protein, tofu and seitan both have great protein and are much healthier than meats.
>>
>>7150658
>certain penis anormalities have been found to occur more often in vegetarians
err.. that's because they're clits, pretty normal among women.
>>
>>7150731
>For me, I eat an almost exclusively plant-based diet and I easily meet, if not exceed, my daily protein of 56g without even eating tofu or seitan.

I'm not saying it's not easilly possible (especially with substantial food falafel) just obviously not with
>Simply having a few bananas and a pear
hence this tread, I'm asking for substantial food. gunna look into that seitan stuff

>Do you have an actual link on that?
actually i do:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1464-410x.2000.00436.x/pdf
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0090429507005882
>>
File: I want to eat a bullet.jpg (41 KB, 444x333) Image search: [Google]
I want to eat a bullet.jpg
41 KB, 444x333
>>7150834
>>7151009
In that case, make sure your girlfriend gets her tofu fix during the hypothetical pregnancy of your son, seeing as you obviously don't want him to suffer from hypospadias.

Your second link deals specifically with genistein and vinclozolin. Genistein is a phytoestrogen found in soy. While the study does indicate a significant relationship between genistein consumption and hypospadias, there is no indication of its scale (and therefore power) and it was conducted on mice. The 2012 Oxford study I linked above was a large-scale study conducted on humans, and it not only found zero increased risk of hypospadias, there was evidence of a reduced risk due to higher intakes of phytoestrogens.

Vinclozolin is a fungicide, so it has little to nothing to do with tofu or soy and is more a concern regarding the health effects of fungicides and pesticides. There is some evidence that vinclozolin is an antiandrogen, meaning it can cause birth defects in male fetuses and delay puberty in male children, but this is a separate issue entirely. As far as I'm aware, vinclozolin is banned in multiple countries, its use is in decline in the United States, and it isn't even used on soy products in the United States. Unless you can determine the origin of your tofu and the pesticides/fungicides/herbicides used on it (which wouldn't be a concern if you bought organically, if I'm not mistaken), the concern over vinclozolin is minimal. You should be more concerned about the other fruits and vegetables you eat, since they are more likely to have been sprayed with vinclozolin.

>>CONTINUED<<
>>
Here is a more comprehensive review of this issue, which includes significant discussion on the 2000 study you cited in the first link: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/hypospadias

Overall, these shouldn't even be concerns unless you're either a pregnant woman expecting a boy, a newborn infant, or a prepubertal child, and this is assuming there even is a link. Even if we assume that the 2000 study's predictive power is absolutely accurate, and the 2012 study is complete bunk, that would only translate into about a 4% increased risk, assuming you're a woman who's pregnant with a son, which is a lower risk for fetal abnormalities than is caused by drug use (including alcohol and smoking) or even diet, among other lifestyle choices. Hypospadia is moreover easily treatable with corrective surgery, which has a high success rate and minimal complications. In other words, this should not be a concern for you and it's hardly a concern in even a worse-case scenario, given the evidence you've provided.

Need I even mention the health benefits of phytoestrogens, isoflavones, and soy?

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.83.7.4752#_i8
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20110630/benefits-of-soy-a-mixed-bag

I admit that more research needs to be done on soy, but your concerns are seriously overblown.
>>
>>7150679
Not that guy but I read this in my persuit to be red pilled on soy
>US, UK, New Zealand health centers say soy is bad and gay
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
>>
File: image.png (211 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
211 KB, 500x500
>>7150731
>another fear mongering article on men's health

Literally what I posted with my shit internet connection. >>7152061
FUCK
>>
>>7150049
Tempeh and seitan are pretty good substitutes. Tempeh is really versatile. You can make tacos, sandwiches (Bbq is the best), so many different Asian dishes. Seitan is also dank cooked with some jerk seasoning.
Source: Ex was a vegetarian and I was in your exact situation.
>>
>>7150049
Damn near anything that isn't goddamn Amerifat food. Asian countries have a plethora of vegetarian, non-dairy dishes that will achieve your dietary needs if you stop being a bitch about MUH MEATS and MUH MEAT SUBSTITUTES. Curries, noodle dishes, various takes on salads, sitr frys, stews, soups, etc.

If you really want to do this, cut back on meat slowly and build up in the veg/grain department. Instead of a 12 oz steak, do an 8 ouncer. Instead of a pound of beef in a chili, go for a half pound. You're not gonna be a full vegetarian overnight, especially if you're gonna be pissy about cheese/soy/"rabbit food". And if eggs are okay by you that opens up a whole world of other dishes you can make.

Accept you're going to have to baby yourself into it. Sure it may take a little longer but you're not quitting meat immediately and before long you can do a meal without meat and not miss it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.