[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Something smells good >Roommate is cooking bacon and eggs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: 1418519154187.gif (1 MB, 300x223) Image search: [Google]
1418519154187.gif
1 MB, 300x223
>Something smells good
>Roommate is cooking bacon and eggs and pancakes, fuck yeah
>Actually decide to have cereal because trying to get fit
>Roommate asks me if we have any metal cans
>puzzlement.jpg
>Says he needs metal cans to store the leftover grease and use it in other food
>whatthefuck.noooooo
>mfw

Is that normal? Is that a thing that happens? Storing grease for later? Please understand, I am definitely not a chef, but I don't think it's normal to have a can of fucking grease in your cupboard.
>>
>>7150038
>he doesn't store his bacon grease

what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
saving it in a metal can is pretty nasty, thats open and exposed to the elements, disgusting. but saving grease to cook with later isn't unheard of, usually if i do i put it in a glass jar in the fridge, it would go rancid on the counter.
>>
>>7150038
Leftover bacon grease is fucking awesome for cooking other stuff.

I don't just leave it in the cupboard though, I strain it and stick it in a container in the fridge to use later.
>>
Hmm, I guess it IS normal then, much to my surprise. Regardless, I think shit like this is a contributing factor to my roommate's 300+ pounds... It still seems pretty gross
>>

pshh kid you gonna have a hard time getting fit. You must be american to belive cereal is any good.
>>
>>7150038
This used to be common. My grandmother did it. Saving bacon grease to cook with fell out of fashion in the 1970's when lipidophobia became trendy.

While I wouldn't recommend it for day to day cooking, try browning a pot roast in bacon fat sometime. It took me years to realize the reason my pot roast was never as good as my grandmother's was because I wasn't using bacon fat. Makes a huge difference.

Bacon is so loaded with preservatives that the fat can keep in a can at room temperature for a pretty long time before going bad.
>>
>>7150038
>>7150051
This is the normiest poster I've ever seen on 4chan
>>
>>7150073
Guilty as charged.
>>
>>7150073
Been here since 2008, but war never changes.
>>
>>7150070

I'm gonna be optimistic and say maybe he was having a hot cereal like oatmeal or cream of wheat.
>>
>>7150090
Nope, just some Life. And when I say trying to get fit... Normally I grab a burg or something from McDonalds. So yeah, this is the healthy option for me
>>
>>7150038
>>Actually decide to have cereal because trying to get fit

Le troll post face
>>
>>7150111
As opposed to mcdonalds, yeah.
>>
>roommate is frying some breaded pork
>asks if we have any plastic cups
>ask why out of bewilderness
he says he is going to save the oil he used to cook the pork for other times

what the FUUUUUCK do people actually do this? I thought you just use 3 cups of oil for one meal and dispose of it
>>
>>7150257
>what the FUUUUUCK do people actually do this?

Of course. Why on earth would you throw away perfectly good oil? Oil can be reused many many times for deep frying, assuming that you strain out any bits or residue left behind. It actually tastes better after it's been used a few times.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil.html
>>
Saving bacon grease and cooking oil is normal. Fucking millennials, why do you throw everything away? Yet you say you're trying to fight global warming and all that bullshit. You've done more to fill landfills than any prior generation.
>>
Saving bacon fat for later use is definitely a thing.

Saving bacon fat in left over cans hasn't been a thing since WW2.
>>
>>7150274
I put it in an old coffee can. Loads of people do.
>>
>>7150273
you're a snake person too retard
>>
>>7150257
I'm more triggered by the use of plastic cups to store hot oil, or any oil of that kind.
>>
>>7150320
Of what kind?
>>
>>7150320

Well clearly it couldn't have been hot oil otherwise the cup would have melted. Are you incapable of thinking that the oil was allowed to cool down first?
>>
>>7150321
Oh man, I stroked out. I meant any oil for that matter.
>>
>>7150331
I meant any oil for that matter. Oil is a natural solvent for plastic, regardless of temp.

Also, waiting for oil to cool down is inefficient. As it gets more viscous, it is harder to get out of the pot or pan.
>>
>>7150382
>Oil is a natural solvent for plastic

You're a special kind of retard, aren't you? Walk into any auto parts store in the world: loads of motor oil being sold in plastic containers, yet they don't appear to be dissolving all over the place. Ditto at the supermarket: cooking oil sold in plastic containers, yet somehow the plastic doesn't dissolve?
>>
>make pho
>always tons of grease on top from bone marrow
>put entire stock in freezer when done
>come back in hour when marrow fat has congealed
>take off all fat and store it for later
>reheat pure broth then jar it

Marrow grease, get on my level plebs.
>>
File: 1401461327399.jpg (21 KB, 477x347) Image search: [Google]
1401461327399.jpg
21 KB, 477x347
>>7150038
>choosing carbs over protons
>because trying to get fit
>>
>older brother and little brother were living together and they do not get along >Little brother had been carefully straining and storing a jar of bacon fat in the freezer.
>Older brother threw it out not knowing it's true value
>little brother moved out after a long, drawn out fight about it

Bacon grease: tearing families apart since 2007
>>
>>7150420
I do the same thing with spare rib soup.
>>
File: 1447096693101.jpg (9 KB, 259x300) Image search: [Google]
1447096693101.jpg
9 KB, 259x300
>>7150116
>as opposed to mcdonalds
Nigger, you're fucking up. Don't compare that shit and say, "welp, I've got apples and those sure as hell aren't oranges!" You're gonna put yourself in a god damned rut with that attitude.
>hurr durr, a sugary ass baked wheat product is better dan a greasy burger with tons of protein :=)
>>
File: 1446340852277.jpg (101 KB, 534x460) Image search: [Google]
1446340852277.jpg
101 KB, 534x460
>>7151255
Also, check em
>>
>>7150404

He's referring to the xenoestrogens that leak from the plastic and dissolve in the oil. Heat quickens the process.
>>
>>7151275

>leak

Leech. I'm fucking retarded.
>>
>>7150044

>grease ever going rancid

u wot
>>
>>7150038
I've never heard of doing it that way. But yeah, it's common enough I think. I have a frying pan devoted to frying bacon. Most of the time, it sits in the warming drawer (pretty much just a storage space in my kitchen as I never use it) with old fat in it. When I want bacon, which isn't too often, I'll take it out and put it on the burner. It's fine storing it that way. Never heard of putting it in cans though.
>>
>>7150100
Bacon and eggs is significantly healthier than cereal
>>
>>7150038
Aren't glass jars or containers better?
>>
File: 1412721545220.gif (1 MB, 181x224) Image search: [Google]
1412721545220.gif
1 MB, 181x224

I hate /ck/ so much because all the shit ass posters from shit containment boards have access to this board.
>>
>>7151531

I wash out my babies food jars and use those. Cap is nice dont have to worry about bugs or other contaminants. Too bad gerber isnt using glass anymore.
>>
>>7151633
>Too bad gerber isnt using glass anymore.
This.
>>
>>7150264
>>7150320
>2015
>still being trolled softly
>>
File: 1403288184389.png (186 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1403288184389.png
186 KB, 400x300
>>7150467
>protons
>>
>>7150038
I usually keep a bit of bacon fat and a bit of chicken fat (small containers) in the fridge, dated for a week (then they move to the freezer, maxing out at 3 each) for use in various savoury uses as a substitute for a cooking oil or binder.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.