[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Iron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: cast iron cookware.jpg (297 KB, 1500x1019) Image search: [Google]
cast iron cookware.jpg
297 KB, 1500x1019
does /ck/ use cast iron cookware in their kitchen?
>>
sometimes
>>
>>7149993

Sure. But not exclusively. Different tools for different jobs bro.
>>
>>7149993

Yes. I also use stainless steel and copper.
>>
>>7150004
This. I have a LOT of cast iron, but it's not for everything. I also use a lot of carbon steel cookware, and a couple pieces of anodized aluminum. The only stainless I use is my saucepans.
>>
>>7149993
I have a cast iron skillet and a cast iron dutch oven. I use the skillet pretty much weekly, if not 2-3 times a week. The dutch oven I use maybe once a month or so. Really depends on what I'm making.

I also have a mixture of stainless steel, anodized aluminum and some nonstick cookware in my collection as well.
>>
>>7149993
I use my cast iron skillet and grill pan 90% of the time.
Next would be my $20 wok.
My two small non-stick skillets rarely get used.
I don't have a ton of variety (only 5 pans total)

There's something about the CI that I just love cooking on it... Could be the fact that the more I use it, the better it will become.
>>
>>7149993
Fuck yeah, but only for things that need to be cooked super hot super fast - say, a steak.
For chicken or fish I'd just use a carbon steel pan or just your basic run-of-the-mill teflon one.
>tfw have your dead grandfathers old cast iron pan from like 1937 and still use it
I wash it thoroughly tho. Works like a fucking dream.
>>
File: 20140619_103349.jpg (4 MB, 2925x4170) Image search: [Google]
20140619_103349.jpg
4 MB, 2925x4170
>>7150022
forgot to attach picture
antique shop a few yrs ago for $30
had to strip and re-season though
Griswald #7, circa 1920-1940
daily user
>>
I only have one grill pan, all the rest are non-stick or steel.
>>
I've been obsessed with stone cookware lately.

FOOD.
DOESN'T.
STICK.

It's some sort of miracle, and it's not expensive either.
>>
>>7150186

Nice find, I never thought to look for cookware in antique shops.
>>
>>7149993
seasoning it is a fucking hassle. :(
>>
>>7150268
The annoying thing is that cast iron collectors drive up the price of this stuff so much. I'd rather pay a fair price for a pan, not some crazy-high figure because someone (who has probably never cooked a day in their life) wants to hang a complete set of matching Griswolds on the wall to complete their decor.
>>
>>7150268
>>7150280

Antique shops, estate sales, etc
It's really hit or miss as far as finding them. Even then, it's still hit or miss on whether the sellers know the worth or not. I've seen the same pan vary from $30 to $75 in different stores (almost always on the high-end on eBay)
As long as the metal isn't warped, chipped, or cracked, you can pretty much make it look/perform like a boss. It's a lot of work, but that adds even more personal value.
>>
>>7150280
I saw a lodge at Goodwill the other day for $20...
>>
my local ace hardware store sells a lodge 12" skillet for $27
>>
>>7149993
No, only carbon steel and copper.
>>
>>7150460
Faggot.
>>
>>7150604
Cast iron is outdated and bested by carbon steel in every way.
>>
>>7149993
So what is the secret to cooking with a cast iron skillet? A larger dose of oil or butter? Always seems to work well for me.
>>
>>7150612
they are two different tools, i own and use both regularly, along with copper.
>>
>>7149993
>does /ck/ use cast iron cookware in their kitchen?
How fucking new are you?
>>
>>7150678
What would you use cast iron for that you wouldn't use a carbon steel?
>>
>>7149993
Yes, I have a small skillet I mainly use for eggs and as a kitchen mallet, a large skillet I use mainly for meats, a griddle for pancakes and a big enameled dutch oven for all sorts of shit.
>>
>>7150696

Getting a really good sear on something. Cast iron and carbon steel have nearly identical metallurgical properties (from a cooking perspective, anyway). However carbon steel pans tend to be a lot thinner than cast iron, which means they don't hold as much heat or cook as evenly.

On the other hand, the thinner carbon steel lets the temperature react quicker which is useful for other applications.
>>
File: 1442191596543.jpg (194 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1442191596543.jpg
194 KB, 960x960
I have two oils in my house atm, canola and clarified butter. Which would you recommend to season my pan with?
>>
>>7150725

Any food safe fat or oil will work.

Given the choice I'd go with the canola. Reason? There's no chance of milk solids being in there from less-than-perfectly-made clarified butter. But honestly either will work.
>>
>>7150322
My local target does as well. 25.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.