[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is cooking brown rice worth the extra time and energy consumption
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: brown-rice.jpg (81 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
brown-rice.jpg
81 KB, 640x426
Is cooking brown rice worth the extra time and energy consumption (rice cooker) just for the sake of health? Is the difference in health really that significant?
>>
If you're eating a fuking ton of rice because poor or bulking mixing 25-75 brown-white lets you take really nice shits. Without the brown it can be not so fun.
>>
Depends how much value you give the difference in health and the difference in effort put in.
>>
>>7146866
brown rice is a meme, but this anon got right
>>7146875
best way is to mix them, just eating pure brown is no different in the long run

http://www.details.com/story/health-is-brown-rice-really-better-than-white-rice-myth
>>
avoid rice. eat bread with some bran in it. Not a ton, but at least some.
>>
>>7146887
I work out though, I need the rice.
>>
>>7146866

I like the flavor of brown rice. Which I use depends on how long I want to wait and on what I have in the kitchen.

I've been told to eat less dietary fiber because of a medication I have to take daily so I'm moving more and more to white rice only.
>>
I add stock to my brown rice and after its cooked, I drain it and put back into the hot pan and cover with a lid/tin foil and leave it to steam itself for 15ish minutes
Comes out so fluffy and delicious

Even without the stock tastes way better than white rice

Even better add caramelised minced onions and peppers or bacon and mushrooms

So goddamn good
>>
>>7146893
I don't follow. rice is nasty and will clog you up.
>>
>>7146866
>Is cooking brown rice worth the extra time and energy consumption (rice cooker) just for the sake of health? Is the difference in health really that significant?
Brown rice is more expensive and has a short shelf life because of the rancidity of fats and oil problem. It takes almost twice as long to cook, trickier to cook well, steamy and fluffy good.

Is it worth it? Yea, it's healthier for you. I kind of like it plain best, but it's about 50% of the time that I want it pilaf stuff, with some hint of butter and nuts, and lots of mushrooms. Rich thick beef broth, browned mushrooms, almonds or walnuts or pecans, and fresh parsley or thyme. Heaven. It's pretty awesome as a cold salad ingredient too.

But, it doesn't replace the nature of a perfect jasmine, black, basmati or something I made with white rice (like valencia rice cooked with chicken, wine and saffron). Try not to have too many food rules, OP. Absolutes kind of kill the joy of having fun with your foods.
>>
>>7146979
>has a short shelf life because of the rancidity of fats and oil problem

I store it in the freezer.
>>
>>7146926
I felt fat just reading this.
>>
>>7147044
sounds like you got a personal problem champ
>>
>>7147045
>chicken stock
>CARAMELIZED ONIONS

american_obesity.jpg
>>
>>7147046
Chicken stock and caramelized onions/peppers arent really that calorie-intensive or fatty. Do you have an eating disorder or is this just weak b8?
>>
>>7146866
>Is the difference in health really that significant?
Yes.
- Fiber is good. It helps you poop comfortably. This significantly increases your quality of life. Don't underestimate the importance to your overall happiness of comfortable poops.
- It's lower on the glycemic index. This is very good. High glycemic index foods are the reason America is fat.
>>
>>7147046
>>7147044
>American meta-shitposting

Why are Americans so obsessed with shitposting?
>>
>>7147046

What do either of those have to do with obesity?

You're not one of those idiots who doesn't know how to make caramelized onions and thinks it involves sugar, are you?
>>
>>7147099
Caramelizing onions does involved sugars you massive retard. Jesus Christ how fucking retarded can one faggot be.
>>
>>7147108

Added sugar you retard.
>>
>>7147108
>does involved
>retard

retard indeed
>>
>>7147108
At least he can punctuate.
>>
>>7147089
Why are Europeans so obsessed with what Americans do?
>>
>>7147116
Only lazy dipshits add sugar to caramelized onions.
>>
>>7147125
>responding to meta-shitposters
>>
It's fiber-rich and low GI, so yes it's worth it.
>>
>>7146866
It's absolutely worth it if you care at all about the health or like the flavor of brown rice for what you're making. Mainly because the "extra time and energy consumption" are irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. The additional time the brown rice takes to cook isn't time where you need to be actively doing anything, it's just sitting there while you do something else (like prepare the other parts of your meal.)

If you're so poor you are worried about the electricity difference of 20 more minutes of rice cooker or stove on low, then I don't know how you can afford to choose your rice, you're stuck with whatever they have at the food shelf.
>>
>>7146926
>overcooking your rice
disgusting
>>
>>7146866
Brown rice? No.
Wholegrain and wild rice? Yes.
>>
>>7146979
>try not to have too many food rules, OP. Absolutes kind of kill the joy of having fun with your foods

Best thing I've read about food in the last few months. Quality post Anon
>>
Go ahead and use the extra energy. Global Warming is actually beneficial to mankind.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.