[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /ck/ First time visitor I am a butcher and I just recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Blood_Sausage.jpg (127 KB, 900x642) Image search: [Google]
Blood_Sausage.jpg
127 KB, 900x642
Sup /ck/

First time visitor

I am a butcher and I just recently became interested in offal. I have made blood sausage/black pudding/ boudin noir and it came out pretty well. What other dishes are worthwhile making? I work in a small butcher shop that slaughters so I have access to any part of the animal. I am limited to beef, pork, lamb, and veal for the most part.

I will also answer any butcher related questions in gratitude.
>>
>>7145808
Liverwurst
>>
>>7145812

OP here

I have not considered Liverwurst, however I have had quite a few commercially produced liverwursts. I am also considering making headcheese or scrapple, as I have had locally made headcheese and it is very good.
>>
big mac is always good
>>
Head cheese is always solid but a winter favorite is pate de campagne
>>
>>7145828
When it comes to liverwurst, simpler is always better. Pork(shoulder and belly), pork liver, onions, and one or two spices.
>>
>>7145808
Mettwurst (Fermented beef & pork sausage, similar to salami). I've found it a bit hard to get outside of South Australia & Gemany, other places it might be more common?

Just make sure you do it right, it doesn't have to be eaten cooked, and there was a bad batch that caused an E-Coli outbreak a few years ago.

Haggis is pretty good when done right, but awful if mass produced. I'd happily go back to a good butcher that did a good haggis.

And Bung Fritz/Straz. Soft, pink, thick pork sausage. Usually served cold, and most local butchers will give a well behaved kid a small slice with mum's order.

(and good choice so far, love black pudding)
>>
>>7145870

OP here

I have only heard a single Haggis story from a coworker, who said it was horrible. I have not considered trying it myself from this advice, but I think I will try it, based from what you say.

And as someone that processes everything they eat, I have little worries about E-coli. I typically see every piece of meat I eat from hoof to plate.
>>
>>7145910
Can vouch that a good quality haggis when done right tastes great, just don't forget the neeps and tatties.
>>
Cajun boudin is great, also sundae, korean blood sausage if you're looking for something more international.
>>
Recipe for liverwurst

half pork belly, half liver, add some brains

grind liver and brain until smooth

pork belly in pressure cooker and grind until smooth then add the liver and brains

add emulsifier if u like, I forgot how much

for seasoning add honey, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon

We use this machine called "kutter" no idea what they call it in english
>>
File: zungenwurst.jpg (66 KB, 550x395) Image search: [Google]
zungenwurst.jpg
66 KB, 550x395
>>7145808

You know Zungenwurst, OP? It's basically a blood sausage with pieces of beef tongue. Great with rye bread, mustard and a beer or dry Riesling.
>>
>>7145808
Hey OP, good to see a butcher take an interest in offal. I'm a Scotfag so a big fan.

Regarding the black pudding, have you tried Stornoway black pudding? It's the best you'll ever have. Here's a link for the best of the best.

http://charlesmacleod.co.uk

As for haggis, I've tried this myself a couple of times with the help of online articles and friendly butchers. I used this article from the Guardian it has a link to a step by step guide halfway through.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jan/23/haggis-recipe-burns-night

It mentions using oxbung instead of the sheep stomach due to it being an English paper and the fact they find it hard to get there hands on sheep stomach. Sure you'll have no problem though. I used this guide the first time and then asked some butchers for tips on seasoning the second time. It's ALL about the seasoning. Cooking the haggis isn't the hard part it's getting your spice mix right.

Also, haggis can be made quite well with venison. If you know anyone who hunts they'll happily give you the bits you need.
>>
>>7145910
he probably had a cage-raised haggis.
Haggis only really tastes good when it's caught wild and fresh.
>>
I was unconvinced by tongue until I had smoked tongue from a good butcher
>>
>>7145808
What does it feel like to actually a kill an animal? Do ever feel bad?
>>
OP here

These are all great.

>>7146143
I believe I have heard of this, never seen it though.

>>7146167
I'm in the US. There is not much interest in offal here. We are having a bit of a 'local food' movement though, which I think will bring people back into eating offal.

>>7146339
I have been making smoked tongue for ages. I am surprised it is not more popular than it is.

>>7146358
I grew up in the trade. Slaughtering an animal is just part of the process. I am not sadistic, but I don't feel bad for doing my job, either.
>>
>>7145808
headcheese my friend.

You could also make some pâté de campagne or rillette. Both are really good.
>>
>>7146842
Terrine is also really good
>>
Heart is pretty good, grilled uterus, paté, tripe stew, manudo (mexican tripe stew), there's a lot of uses for organs that are great if I think more.
OP, how does one enter the butcher profession? My family members are not butchers, but living in TX I feel like I should know how to cut a steer, and meat/cooking is my favorite thing to talk about.
>>
I've had beef tongue tacos from this really authentic mexican joint that were phenomenal. Pickled and then deep-fried tripe is pretty great
>>
You should definitely experiment with caul fat. It's great for wrapping around hamburger patties or sausage meat.
Although it's not offal, oxtail is an "unusual" cut which is incredible in a stew.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.