[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of these things? What makes them good or bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: x354-q80.jpg (18 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
x354-q80.jpg
18 KB, 354x354
What do you think of these things? What makes them good or bad?
>>
>>7144713
Cons:

>harbors bacteria
>rusts
>distorts blade over time

Pros:

>keeps them dry
>keeps them out of the way
>no mistaking where you put your knives
>looks nice
>>
Don't peel the knife off towards the edge
>>
>>7144723
I think a knife block looks nicer.
>>
>>7144733

A knife block disguises the blades unless you mark the butt of the handles you're likely to grab multiple knives before finding the one you need.

I also enjoy the way they look, but they're less practical and wood bring so porous it's going to harbor moisture and bacteria more so than metal.
>>
>>7144745
You could just put the knives in the same spot each time....
>>
>>7144748

That requires memorizing the placement of knives, too labour intensive.
>>
>>7144745
I think that wood has been shown to be have decent antimicrobial properties. I doubt anyone would get sick over something like that.

I just keep my knives in the same spot and grabbing the wrong knife has never been a problem for me.

Either way, my point was that I wouldn't put "looks nice" as a pro for the magnetic strip.
>>
>>7144733
Knife blocks makes me think of murder
>>
>>7144761

Why not, you eat with your eyes first. Life in general is a non stop series of conscious and subconscious judgements.

Cedar wood is the only wood I'm aware of with natural anti-anything properties.
>>
>>7144776
I think that anon is referring to a study on microbial growth associated with wood v. plastic cutting boards. The results dont necessarily transfer to knife blocks

what they found was that the bacteria tends to fall into the pores of the wood where it eventually dies(24 hrs to 72 hrs), where as plastic tends to harbor the bacteria on the surface(or rather in the cuts made on the surface)
Plastic cutting boards, however, can be sanitized
>>
>>7144776
I wouldn't put the magnetic strip "looking nice" as a pro because I don't think they look nice. It's not a pro over a knife block for me.
>>
>>7144752
Not having even the slightest bit of organization skills
Stay out of the kitchen anon
>>
>>7144713

>have your hand under the knife
>magnetism suddenly stops working
>emergency trip to the hand surgeon

sounds like a great idea.
>>
>>7144933
Is this gaybert?
>>
>>7144713
you gotta flip your knives every week or so or they will lose their flexibility and shatter due to magnetism
>>
>>7144821

Why keep your knives in a block when you're supposed to keep them rolled up and safe... oh you're a home cook, mind your bacteria block then.
>>
>>7144713
just get a knifeblock
>>
>>7144713
> harbors bacteria
your supposed to put clean knives on it, and you can always clean it
>rusts
your supposed to dry carbon steel knives before you store them
> distorts blade over time
how thin are your knives?

the only con i see is that all the blades are exposed so you have to be careful where you place it

>>7144933
>magnetism suddenly stops working
slowly over time you know if its getting weak then you can replace it

>>7144956
>you gotta flip your knives every week or so or they will lose their flexibility and shatter due to magnetism
um no

>>7144980
>Why keep your knives in a block when you're supposed to keep them rolled up and safe... oh you're a home cook, mind your bacteria block then
do you know how many filthy knife rolls ive seen? do you wash yours regularly?
>>
I would never Ever buy a set of those knives.

I have worked in professional kitchens and those knives are garbage because the Bolster always rubs on the cutting board and you cant chop with them.

You have to take the knife to a Grinder and Grind off the Bolster.

Its fucking stupid.

They are worthless once you sharpen them, and I hear they are sharpening them bad out of the factory also.

It ruins the knife till you Grind off the Bolster.
>>
>>7144713

I use magnetic knife racks. The biggest benefit for me is efficient use of space, and I don't even have a small kitchen, just a lot of shit to store. It certainly beats having them in a draw getting fucked up. Knife blocks just take up space, and I'd need three or four of the things.

>>7144761
>>7144985
>>7144733

Be aware that you need to put your knives in the knife block spine-down, and make sure that it's deep enough that they don't rest on the tip.
>>
Magnetic wall strips are the shit.

They save space, you can see exactly what you've got/where it is, they're out of harms way, and your knives are actually on display, which is nice if you have decent knives. Seeing my knives up on the wall makes me want to use them.

I don't know how it would distort your knives, but saying that it will rust and/or harbor bacteria is retarded; are you not fully drying your knives before putting them away? If not, a knife block would be even worse. You should be wiping down your shit every so often regardless, and a magnetic strip is easy to clean.

The only downside I've ever had was living in a tiny apartment where the knives were right next to the light switch, so if you were stumbling around drunk in the dark there was a slight chance you'd cut yourself fumbling for the light. But as long as you're not completely retarded that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
File: IMAG1470(crop).jpg (265 KB, 738x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1470(crop).jpg
265 KB, 738x1500
>upgrade car stereo system
>take magnet off back of shitty factory speakers
>screw into wall
>DIY knife magnet thingy
Individual magnets to place anywhere you want. You could even just stick to your fridge or rangehood if you don't want to screw holes into walls.
>>
>>7144745
Or you could not be fucking retarded
>>
>>7146556
>three inch thick santoku with six feet of bolster

Germany does it again.
>>
File: Blade Guard.jpg (2 KB, 300x86) Image search: [Google]
Blade Guard.jpg
2 KB, 300x86
Just going to hijack the thread slightly. I got a couple of nice knives recently and I'm trying to figure out how to store them. I was considering a magnetic rack, but I'm not sure it's worth it for just a few knives.

Has anyone tried these blade guards? Are they any good? Considering getting them so I can just store my knives in a drawer.
>>
>>7146574
I've heard they seal so well that its impossible to dry enough to keep moisture out and it'll tarnish your knives.
>>
>what does /ck/ think of magnets

>>>/sci/
>>
File: 1290902392801.jpg (35 KB, 639x360) Image search: [Google]
1290902392801.jpg
35 KB, 639x360
>>7146648
>>
>>7144752
>memorizing
>too labor intensive
you're obviously not doing any cooking, what do you need knives for?
>>
>>7146644

Just those ones, or blade guards in general? Are the Atlantic Chef guards with the angled opening any better?
>>
>>7144745

Yea...because you can't fell wich knife your grabbing from the handle itself... rookie.
>>
>>7146768
I dunno, I was looking at those ones on Amazon and the reviews that indicated tarnishing scared me off any blade guard. I'm thinking those wooden Japanese ones might be up my alley but they're so expensive.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.