[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VEGETABLES YOU REFUSE TO EAT.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 10
File: vegetables[1].jpg (64 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
vegetables[1].jpg
64 KB, 1024x768
I know many of your have food aversions, either because you're sheltered, weren't exposed to other cultures, are manchildren (female neckbeards also post here)...so let's start slow.

What vegetables do you find repulsive? I don't want or need a reason or story behind why you don't like them, I want to know which vegetables you find the least delicious.
>>
File: parsnips.jpg (255 KB, 817x588) Image search: [Google]
parsnips.jpg
255 KB, 817x588
Parsnip. But probably only because they were pan roasted to hell.

Anybody has a good, simple parsnip recipe I could try?
>>
There's like at least 100 different ways to cook any vegetable. That being said, I find kale to be hit or miss, depending on how it is prepared. But desu that goes for any food.
>>
>>7144732
parsnips are supposed to be like a sweeter carrot, you can oven roast them with potatoes or maybe make fries with them. maybe try them in a soup?
>>7144708
green bell pepper, the red and orange are awesome but fuck the green ones
>>
>>7144744

Bell peppers taste exactly the same, the color is due to genetic engineering.
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 259x194
Kale...fad veggie...honestly it tastes like dirt. I love almost all veggies. and this is no BS. If someone offered me chocolate or steamed broccoli with a bit of melted butter, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, yes my friends i would chose the broccoli every time. Also not sure about fiddleheads...i tried them once and they also tasted like dirt but maybe i didn't cook them properly...oh and ocra i only like it in gumbo not on it's own
>>
Fucking hate bitter melon

Tastes like ass
>>
File: tumblr_ma52qzVsRo1rvwttvo1_500.gif (991 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma52qzVsRo1rvwttvo1_500.gif
991 KB, 500x252
>>7144754
you're a fucking idiot
green is ripe, yellow becoming even more ripe and red totally ripe which is sweeter
>>
>>7144770

Kale is just cabbage in Ireland...
>>
>>7144773
ah so you like to rim ass eh faggot
>>
>>7144780

Unless it's the permagreen variety...
>>
>>7144783
another fucking idiot joins the thread!!!
cabbage is fucking cabbage you moron
especially in Ireland
>>
texture-wise, boiled carrots are not high on my list.
almost all veggies taste like ass by themself without preparation, imagine a meal consisting of just shredded cabbage or raw broccoli. boiling and little salt does wonders to most though.
repulsive? celery and saurkraut.
>>
>daily picky eater thread
>this time don't even try to explain yourself, just post foods you're picky about and we can keep this on the first page all day!

/ck/ is going to shit.
>>
>>7144788
why on earth would you buy genetically modified fruit or veggies? you must shop for your produce at Walmart
>>
I can't think of any vegetable I dislike desu. Closest thing would be avocado but that's a fruit.
>>
>>7144796

Do you think it's avoidable unless you're a farmer?
>>
>>7144791
saute sliced green peppers, carrots, celery and onion till al dente...the original mirepoix....fantastic!!!!
>>
>>7144808
>Disliking avocado
Meyn
>>
>>7144808
same here b/ro love mexican food but not a fan of avocado
>>
>>7144817
it's avoidable if you live somewhere other than Merika and buy organic
>>
Not a big fan of cooked carrots unless they are in a Recipe.
>>
File: 1433442751421.jpg (140 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1433442751421.jpg
140 KB, 1600x1200
>>
The flesh of any bell pepper.

As in, the flavors the impart have no affect on me, but actually biting in to the flesh is extremely bitter to me. Red pepper is the only only one I can slightly tolerate the flesh of and use it in place of any other when cooking.
>>
>>7145268
What's a Recipe?
>>
egg plant is the only one i can think of
i still eat it though i just dont like it that much
>>
>>7144732
>refuse to eat
>immediately ask for recipe
>>
>>7145319
Eggplant is a fruit
>>
>>7145359
so are you
>>
>>7144838
certified organic in the us guarantees non gmo shitlord
>>
I seriously hate bell peppers, and I think they ruin the taste of any dish they're added to. Their flavor is just so strong, it overpowers everything else.
>>
File: Turnips_02.jpg (79 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
Turnips_02.jpg
79 KB, 400x268
Literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>7145363
I don't hear you refusing to eat me though.
>>
celery.
>>
>>7145378
Do you hate stew?
>>
>>7145319
Chop thinly and sauté in olive oil with chopped red onion and add chopped garlic when it turns mushy. Turn off the fire when it finally turns rich brown color. Eggplant is delicious when cooked correctly.
>>
>>7144708
I don't find any vegetable too repulsive to eat but I don't really like asparagus.
>>
>>7145380
i dont taste celery in stew.
>>
>>7145369
top bantz tbqh
>>
>>7144732
I cannot stand parsnips, but I've never had them in a restaurant.
>>
>>7144732
I tend to have them one of three ways: braised in butter with caraway and caramelised onion (as a side dish), in corn-and-crab chowder (as a stew veg) or boiled 1:1:2 parsnip:carrot:potato, mashed and whipped with bacon grease as the starch part of a dinner plate.

I've also had them as a bisque-like soup and drizzled with paprika oil as well as made into a pancake-like food with ramsons and potato.
>>
>>7144708

I haven't run into a veggie I don't like, desu senpai.
>>
zookeeny
>>
>>7145368

I thought hitler was good, seeing as /pol/ can't seem to fuckoff from here these days.

Nothing against turnips though desu. You just need to put them somewhere where their bitterness will be balanced.
>>
Pickles. Thank you McDs.
I really enjoy bell pepper but hate the fact that I keep it burping out for 3 days on a row after eating it
>>
Really? Nobody posted brussel sprouts? I'm really not a picky eater, but brussel sprouts is one of the most disgusting vegetables out there when it's cooked/overcooked. I'd eat it raw though, not a big deal, but my god is it fucking gross when its boiled in water. Smells like the holocaust I'm glad that vegetable isn't a fucking meme because im sure nobody would consider eating something that smells like a dead woman's pussy.
>>
>>7144796
Do you buy produce that isn't harvested from the wild? If so, you buy genetically modified produce.
>>
Peas green beans and celery. Have tried all three cooked multiple ways. Can't fucking do it. They all taste like piss.
>>
cucumbers and beansprout
>>
>>7144708
lettuce
>>
>>7145945
make dressing
>>
Olives and mushrooms. I got food poisoning from mushrooms when I was young, and they make me feel sick when I eat them to this day, so I don't. Olives are just straight-up disgusting.
>>
>>7145366

raw red pepper is good, but I don't like any other variation of them.
>>
>>7144708
I don't eat green/red/yellow pepper, it's one of the few things I just can't stand.
>>
Bell peppers and Cucumbers
Also lettuce
>>
yams/sweet potatoes

I find them nearly inedible in most forms

the unpleasant sweetness combined with the absolutely vile texture(lessness) is too much
>>
File: kale.jpg (253 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
kale.jpg
253 KB, 1000x669
I enjoy pretty much every vegetable, there are some I have no fondness for but will concede they're edible (jicama, taro, okra) - the only vegetable I actually dislike is kale. I've eaten kale cooked or used in all the popular ways and it's never good: kale in smoothies is vile, 'roasted kale' is apparently made by balling up wads of notebook paper, dipping it in green paint, then rubbing it in dirt; and whenever kale is used (in place of delicious spinach or other greens) in a soup or filling it's sure to be unchewable and taste like the underside of a shoe.
>>
>>7146046
I tried making kale chips once because memfopd, gotta try it once and all that

they burned in under half the time the guide said and the whole house stunk for days

it's pretty much the worst thing ever and I'm convinced people are lying to themselves when they say they like it
>>
>>7146232
*memefood
>>
Bell peppers goddamnit, I'll never understand why people put them on EVERYTHING. Always ruins perfectly a good pilaf.

Other than that I'm pretty versatile. Almost every veggie is good if you put a little salt on it imo
>>
>>7146273
bell peppers are like apples to me
>>
so many people saying capsicums (bell peppers) itt, dont know how. They don't taste of much at all and I eat them mostly for the texture
>>
>>7144708
Lentils and soy, eveything else is alright, although I'm not a big fan of brusselsprouts
>>
I don't eat beetroot. I was force fed beetroot as a child and as much as I often tried to like it, I hate it.
I used to hate goats cheese, but I'm warming up to it. It hilarious because a common hipster entree is some sort of goats cheese and beetroot salad and it's my absolute nightmare.
>>
Kale, beets, and sweet potatoes are all atrocities to mankind.
>>
Brussel sprouts. God knows I've tried. Added bacon, almond flakes, hazelnut...still tastes like arse. And I'm not fixed in my tastes. I used to gag at pumpkin, now I love it. Sprouts still taste like jock itch.
>>
>>7144732
I only eat them in my soup.

Vegetables are really soft food as in most of the vegetables don't have a distinctive taste. It's all matter of preparation.
>>
>Sweet potatoes
>Carrots
>Green bell peppers
>>
>>7144708

Cilantro. Fuck cilantro and everyone who likes cilantro.
>>
>>7144754

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a genetically engineered bell pepper.

The color of bell peppers is from their ripeness.
>>
>>7146403

Looks like I'm wrong. There is a GMO Bell Pepper. It was done in China for the purpose of resisting infection by cucumber mosaic cucumovirus.
>>
File: DNLIVcch.jpg (76 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
DNLIVcch.jpg
76 KB, 768x1024
Fuck celery, onions, and raw tomatoes (though is that a fruit?). I'll eat virtually any other vegetable, though.
>>
>>7146344
Brussel sprouts roasted until they are just brown on top are great. They have a toasty-nutty flavour. But if you overdo them even a little they become as bitter as your mother the night I told her I couldn't come over.
>>
>>7145688
Why don't hipsters make their IPAs out of turnips? They seem to go wild over bitterness above all other flavors.
>>
>>7146302
It's because 4chinz is a nip board now, and nips hate bell peppers.
>>
I despise zucchini. When I was at school, I always had to eat there too, but the cooking was atrocious and the peak of it's awfulness was a zucchini creme soup. Everytime I tried to eat it I almost puked. And now I can't eat zucchini without thinking of that soup and that's why I hate it.
>>
As long as you prepare the vegetable properly they are all good.
>>
>>7144708
I just don't like cauliflower, despite the delicious looking and sounding recipes I see and hear about. Zucchini is fine, but people generally overcook it to hell. I can stomach most varieties of squash, but not a fan generally.
>>
The only thing that gets me picky anymore is big fucking chunks/slices of raw tomatoes.

It's just very unnerving to me when you get a sandwich/burger or even a salad and now I'm tasting like 80 percent tomato in a bite because someone didn't want to slice it thinner.

Tomato is fine in small doses, you want some acidity in your food. But don't overpower the damn thing.
>>
>>7145284

Sugar dirt.

Fuck beets
>>
>>7144708
I really hate the taste of Dasheens and Eddoes.
>>
>>7144808
The texture of avocado causes me to gag and it makes my tongue itch. Fuck em.
>>
>>7146302

Doesn't the term capsicum cover all peppers, not just bell peppers?
>>
>>7144708
Kale, but I wouldn't say I refuse it outright. If someone else prepared it in a meal I'll at least try it. Sometimes it's bearable enough to eat for polite company. Usually I can't stand it. I never buy it.

The most bearable way I found it is when my sister made it. Mixed in with mostly other greens in a salad and a good dressing. But even then all I could think was "still taste the dirt, just not as much dirt".

Can't think of any other vegetable I don't like.
>>
>>7144708
None, because I'm not a huge faggot.
>>
>>7146046
Hmm you should try it stewed in cream and with honey glaced ham and taters.
>>
>>7144708
I can't think of any vegetables I find repulsive. Hell, I even like bitter melon. But given the option I'll avoid:

sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes
iceberg lettuce
kohlrabi
sweet corn
arugula/rocket
asparagus

Not because I dislike these vegetables, they're just the last ones I would choose of other options are available..
>>
>>7147203
Let me add alfalfa sprouts to that list.
>>
Cauliflower is just shit. I'll eat it if it's covered in cheese sauce but it's the most bland uninteresting vegetable. Don't really like beetroot as well but I've only had it jarred not fresh.
>>
>>7146273

bell peppers have a weird crispiness/crunchiness i just don't like.

and i can't explain the aversion. i like crunchy cucumbers, water chestnuts, and carrots.

why do i hate crunchy bell peppers?!
>>
>>7145842
You need to try them roasted with butter garlic and a little bacon. Trust me it's like you're entering a whole different world.
>>
If you won't eat a certain vegetable, it's because it has not been properly cooked, not because you have a negative bias towards it. Find someone who can cook it right and watch your opinion change entirely.
>>
>>7147413
This is what happened to me with regard to every vegetable I used to think I didn't like.
>>
I like every vegetable I've tried. I avoid iceberg lettuce because it's bland, but I'll still eat it. Bell peppers are only good when they're still a bit crunchy. Mushy bell peppers are not fit for human consumption.

I know they're a fruit, but cranberries are a little bit whack. You know it's shit when it has to be loaded with sugar to be edible. Please tell me nobody actually eats raw cranberries, or drinks 100% cranberry juice.
>>
Not a big fan of asparagus.

That's about it though.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 800x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 800x675
>>7147449
I drink 100% cranberry juice sometimes I like it better with a little sugar tho but not to much

I absolutely hate fennel I have only had it a few times but there hasn't been a way I have liked it yet I like any other veggie
>>
Bell pepper. The smell makes me nauseus. It just stinks so bad. Some chili peppers have a slight hint of that smell. Habaneros or thai chillies don't. No idea why.
>>
I fucking love vegetables, I really do. But fucking celery is just stringy water sticks, they taste like NOTHING and when its in soups its like little chunks of NOTHING flavor. Eating them raw is torture.

celery is bullshit and anyone who uses it in anything is a fucking idiot
>>
>>7144780
Red is ripe friendo
>>
Raw cucumber smell makes me gag for some reason.

Onions, no matter how hard I try, I just gag whenever I feel it in my mouth.

Cauliflower smells bad.

Beetroot.

I tend to prefer green vegetables though. I fucking love greens except cucumbers.
>>
File: Kohlrabi..jpg (49 KB, 656x436) Image search: [Google]
Kohlrabi..jpg
49 KB, 656x436
Fucking Kohlrabi. It smells so funky to me.
>>
Fucking confetti lettuce.
>>
>>7144708
I haven't found one. I do like peas however bargain boxed pea soup was so terrible even dogs wouldn't eat it, if that counts.
>>
I've never tried it, but I suspect that natto might do it.
>>
R A D D I S H
A
D
D
I
S
H

how do you know the difference between a raddish and a fart?

pls respond
>>
>>7145368
It's not that their bad, it's just that there better alternatives.
>>
>>7147629
yeah -- i'll eat anything, and i've even had these when they were in my CSA, but damn that it wasn't fun or tasty in any way.
>>
>>7144770
>fad veggie
...okay
>>
Raw tomato. Been trying to force myself to eat it, I doesn't make me nearly vomit anymore. I can see myself enjoying it in the future.
>>
I dislike Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Squash and Zucchini.

I like Celery, Green Beans, Peas, Radishes, Spinach and Collard Greens.
>>
Fuck sweet potatoes. "Sweet" and "potato" do not belong together at all. Absorutery disgustingu

I also don't care for broccoli, zucchini, and bell peppers. But those three I can eat if cooked right. I tried sweet potatoes again the other day and felt nauseous, almost puked.
>>
Cauliflower for me. Especially with white sauce.
Not sure why I don't like it, I'll eat just about anything else.
>>
>not liking vegetables

Fuck off
>>
>>7151356

Have you tried sweet potatoes with sour cream and chives? It's god tier, at least for me
>>
>>7147562

>fennel

This. Fuck this shit. Tastes like toothpaste.
>>
>>7144808
Thanks I thought I was the only one who didn't like that nasty shit
Guacamole is great but straight up raw avocado is gross
I could also live without okra
>>
>>7146764
Sounds like you're allergic desu senpai, although I get the same way with raw apples even though I can eat apple pie with no problem.
>>
>>7144770
>I love veggies
>with butter and salt
>topkek
>>
>>7144708
Any vegetables you don't like can be more easily handled if you add a flavour you like to them, for me that's a simple Knorr stockpot rub and bunging them in the oven.
>>
>>7144708
Mushrooms
>that fucking texture
>>
Pumpkin and sweet potato are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't like tomatoes by themselves but they're good on a sandwich.
>>
Just split peas and their shitty soup. Pretty much any terrible vegetable can have their flavor covered up with the right sauce.
>>
>>7144732
cut them into pieces and put them into a pot or pan with some butter, add salt and fresh parsley( wait a bit withe the parsley so it stays green), wait til they are cooked.
fucking delicious
>>
>>7153878
also tried it with different butters, soy butter was the shit
>>
>>7144770
I can't stand that garbage either
>>
Broccoli and cauliflower. Both activate my gag complex and make me vomit I am so adverse to their tastes.

Used to dislike peas as well but over the years grown to quite like them - especially mushy peas with melted butter and a bit of salt along with some fries and fish.
>>
Fuck cucumbers
>>
Spinach, mushrooms, eggplant, celery, squash,zucchini, Bok choy, asparagus, bamboo shoot/root, any sea vegetables.
>>
I feel like the only vegetable I hate is broccoli.

And I'm a vegetarian. I'll eat a plate of sautéed kale but fuck broccoli.
>>
>raw celery
>olives even though they're a fruit fuck olives
>>
>>7144708
There aren't really any vegetables I can think of off the top of my head that I find truly repulsive. However I do not particularly care for either celery or cucumbers.
>>
>>7144708
All vegetables are awesome.
>>
>>7144770
I'd pick plain broccoli over chocolate. Just ate a bowl of frozen-microwaved a few minutes ago.
>>
I hate olives.
>>
>>7144708
water chesnuts
Fuck them
they taste like nothing important happened while they were growing
they ruin every single chinese dish they are in with their shitty texture

Water Chesnuts could disappear and literally nobody would be affected, unless you count the glorious boon we would all feel with their sweet, sweet riddance
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.