[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silverware/Flatware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Flatware Comparison.png (3 MB, 2488x1496) Image search: [Google]
Flatware Comparison.png
3 MB, 2488x1496
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-flatware/
TSH just published a roundup review of the best utensil sets on the market which made me think about my dining sets. They are pretty plain except for a few of these LOOOOOOONG tined forks I inherited from my grandparents with wooden handles that are like a century old. I do have a set of Silverware in my Fine China/Crystal cabinet that I never bother to use.

Do you have any special and/or unusual eating tools /ck/?
If you have any silverware, when was the last time you polished them?
When was the last time you actually obeyed proper dining etiquette and set out the entire enchilada from the soup spoon to the salad fork?
>>
>>7141714
alessi looks best
>>
File: il_fullxfull.333091416.jpg (97 KB, 835x588) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.333091416.jpg
97 KB, 835x588
>>7141714
>They are pretty plain except for a few of these LOOOOOOONG tined forks I inherited from my grandparents with wooden handles that are like a century old
To elaborate they look like this.

>>7141721
I like the Aston myself. The Crate & Barrel Aeros though look like they came out of a cartoon.
>>
>>7141728
Best fork and spoon is Aston. Best knife is Reed & Barton
>>
>>7141714
>Set specs: 18/10 stainless steel.

literally not a thing
>>
>>7141748
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/blog/1810-vs-180-stainless-steel-flatware/
>The "grade" of stainless steel refers to its quality, durability and temperature resistance. The numbers (18/8, 18/10, etc.) are the composition of the stainless steel and refer to the amount of chromium and nickel (respectively) in the product.
18/10 stainless steel contains 18% chromium and 10% nickel content.
>>
>>7141728
>Aston
naah those ultra long knifes really turn me off
>>
>>7141714
Great thread OP. I'm in the market and want great solid flatware that is timeless, great balance, with a smooth and sleek design.
>>
>>7141737
aston is way too unbalanced and too heavy
and btw I hate new wave
>>
>>7141780
>foodservicewarehouse.com

Seems legit.

18/8 is a loose, non-technical characteriztion based on alloy content, under which the most common 300 series stainless steels generally fall. 18/10 is pure marketing gibberish.
>>
>>7141800
You're right that the standard is loose, but Grade 304 specifies between anywhere from 8 to 10.5% Ni.
http://www.northamericanstainless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Grade-304-304L.pdf
18/8 & 18/10 are close but not the same.
>>
File: Sterling Silverware Patterns.png (3 MB, 4081x3226) Image search: [Google]
Sterling Silverware Patterns.png
3 MB, 4081x3226
*Caution High-res*
I've always been fascinated by ornately sculpted silverware. The tiny details really make the aesthetic.

http://www.wayfair.com/Sterling-Silver-Flatware-l7163-c419107-O123543~Ornate.html
http://www.lifetimesterling.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-LifetimeSterling-Site/default/Search-Style?prefn1=style&prefv1=Ornate&productDisplayType=scroll
A simple 5-piece of any these pictured sells for ~$1000 and a single fork or spoon is around $300-600 alone.
>>
File: liberty table top.png (842 KB, 1014x729) Image search: [Google]
liberty table top.png
842 KB, 1014x729
>not making freedoms your priority on the table
Seriously, though, it is good quality. I bought a set of "modern america" about a year ago. It has held up well, no bending, no corrosion, using dishwasher mainly. There is polishing compound residue left on them when they ship them out, which is annoying, but that's the only down side I've come across.
>>
>>7141714
>like a century old
So are they a century old or not?
>>
>>7141714
>all those skinny forks with no flare at the back

Like nigga how you gonna twirl pasta noodles on that shit
>>
I have Silver flatware, an individual set that I use when I eat.

I bought Kirk Stieff Repousse.

I have used alot of bad flatware in my life and I always hated it.

So I spoiled myself and got these and use them daily.
>>
>>7141714
Förnuft masterrace reporting in
>>
>>7142165
This is some candy-ass nonsense. It looks uncomfortable to use, hard to clean and easy to break. You can hang that on your wall for decoration, but you can't actually eat with it.
>>
>>7141714
Thanks OP, now I know what my silverware is called.

I have oneida louisiana I guess, it looks identical. I don't like how heavy my butter knives are though-- the handle is ridiculous.
>>
>>7142685
I don't know. My Grandparents are gone but they used them while growing up as kids so they are AT LEAST from the early 1920s.
>>
File: weave-resize.png (2 MB, 1350x1350) Image search: [Google]
weave-resize.png
2 MB, 1350x1350
>>7142680
https://libertytabletop.com/product-category/heritage/
I can feel my Patriotism increasing as I browse the selection.
>>
>>7142800
>It looks uncomfortable to use, hard to clean and easy to break

You're wrong on every point.
Basically the only difficult thing about silver flatware is that they can tarnish if they're not sterling silver, and you can always polish the tarnishing off.

You can even stick 'em in the dishwasher, although dry abrasive powders will scuff the metal ever so slightly.
>>
File: 3.6in Desert Ironwood.jpg (488 KB, 1024x731) Image search: [Google]
3.6in Desert Ironwood.jpg
488 KB, 1024x731
>>
>>7142809
We always used some cheap flatware of similar pattern to the champlin when I was growing up, so I was torn between that and modern america. I decided on the simpler looking one. I might eventually get some of one of the lux line or go full elitist pretense with some Euro silverware, but I don't get that fancy often.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.