[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer Krake or Sailor Jerry? Kraken seems to go better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 16
File: Kraken-Sailor-Jerry-Rum-Back[1].jpg (1 MB, 1000x1475) Image search: [Google]
Kraken-Sailor-Jerry-Rum-Back[1].jpg
1 MB, 1000x1475
Do you prefer Krake or Sailor Jerry? Kraken seems to go better with coke, but I feel like Sailor Jerry I could just drink on its own
>>
>I bet I could drink this on its own if I got drunk enough
The mark of a quality beverage :^)

Typical spiced rum drinker.
>>
>>7141655
You read what you wanted to read.
Anyway, kraken is much better than sailor jerrys. Mostly because of dark and stormys.
>>
>>7141655
Nah, without getting drunk first I could drink sailor jerry.
>>
File: rumbullion-spiced-rum.jpg (15 KB, 254x500) Image search: [Google]
rumbullion-spiced-rum.jpg
15 KB, 254x500
I drink this spiced rum. If you can get this, then you should give it a go. I dont know if this is a bit of a hipster brand, it doesnt seem that well known. The reviews of their products, as well as the ones I have tried are all great.

>tfw missed the the XO version on amazon sale
>>
i prefer whatever's on sale for cheaper

t. state-owned liquor stores
>>
Sailor jerry > kraken
Lower price
Better flavor
Versatile; great neat, cheap enough to mix
>>
File: blackheart-spiced-rum.jpg (40 KB, 287x1000) Image search: [Google]
blackheart-spiced-rum.jpg
40 KB, 287x1000
If I want spiced rum I usually pick up blackheart.
>>
Gosling masterrace
>>
File: 1438487317002.jpg (52 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1438487317002.jpg
52 KB, 640x560
Why is rum so associated with Pirates/Sailing/Nautical shit?
>>
>>7141732
>>7141732
Because the british navy use to give it's seamen rum as part of their rations. And it is because it was originally made in the Caribbean
>>
>>7141732
because pirateering took place in areas with rum was made i.e places with sugarcane
>>
File: JLHass.png (355 KB, 621x520) Image search: [Google]
JLHass.png
355 KB, 621x520
>>7141708
>>7141736

What are you doing outside /r9k/?
>>
>>7141739
Cute butt desu

>>7141735
Thanks
>>
>>7141749
It's JLH's butt. I remember the time I personally convinced her to go to /sp/ and me and the rest of the lads on /sp/ trolled the fuck out of her and made her cry.
>>
>>7141645
>Kraken goes better with coke
Lmao Jerry is king, Jerry turns coke into Dr Pepper and I don't even like Dr Pepper but I like Jerry
>>
>>7141645

I have a friend who's back and forth from Trinidad all the time due to his job so he hands out bottles of Angostura to us all the time like it's nothing. So I mostly use 1919 in my rum mixed drinks.

Between Kraken and Jerry though I think I prefer Kraken.
>>
>>7141972
When was the last time JLH made a thread on /r9k/?
>>
>>7141972
That looks like a man from the waist up, is jlh a trap?
>>
Admiral Nelson
>>
File: mount-gay-rum-extra-old-bottle.jpg (182 KB, 637x1036) Image search: [Google]
mount-gay-rum-extra-old-bottle.jpg
182 KB, 637x1036
>>7141645
>Krake or Sailor Jerry?

Neither. Mountain Gay.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 600x404
>>7142120
>Mount Gay
>>
>>7142120
HA GAYYYY
>>
>>7141661
If you need spiced rum for dark and stormies then your gingerbeer is shit.
>>
>>7141645
Kraken goes best with root beer.
>>
el dorado spiced rum is fucking delicious
>>
>>7141645
used to drink jerry all the time, but then it got expensive and have since switched to kraken. or if i'm going to mix it/looking to get hammered on the cheap, coscto rum.
>>
>>7142130
>>7142139
The fact that they're still in business despite having a name like that says a lot about their rum.
>>
File: ethahol.jpg (378 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ethahol.jpg
378 KB, 1000x1000
>drinking alcohol for taste

Give me one good reason you are pretending this shit tastes good instead of just drinking laboratory grade ethanol.

>Dirt cheap
>200 proof
>can be disguised as water

Stop being cvcked by the alcohol industry bros
>>
>>7142280
>don't want to go blind
>actually do enjoy the taste, especially in mixed drinks
>don't always drink to get completely hammered because I'm not a freshman undergrad
>>
>>7142280
>drinking ethanol instead of methanol

Did your boyfriend buy you that dress or are you just naturally a fag
>>
>>7142321
you do NOT enjoy the taste of ethanol.

>especially in mixed drinks

you enjoy the taste of the drinks you mix in the beverage, drinks that where made to go on par with alcohol those where made to make ethanol taste ok.
>>
>>7141645
I don't care for the taste of kraken
Sailor jerry is a bit too sweet at times but I like the taste much better, it almost has a cherry flavor to it's
>>
I make my own (made from ingredients from a homebrew shop, not actually made with the 47 or so herbs and spices. No time for that) and I find that it's best served by itself or with ginger ale. The ginger ale lets you taste the actual rum and takes a bit of the harsh bite away.

Alternatively, if you want to take the edge off your spiced rums, mix the bottle with a good 50-100 ml of glycerine, or a heaped tablespoon of liquid glucose. It'll also make it thicker though, so there's that.

On a semi-related note, if you guys have that schweppes natural lemonade (or whatever it's called) in your country, add two shots of dark navy rum to a can of that and it'll taste like alcoholic creaming soda.
>>
>>7142268
This is true, Mount Gay is excellent.
>>
>>7142949
I don't find; shit tastes too watery.
>>
>>7142939
You're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>7141645
el dorado.
>>
>>7141645
I prefer Shellback because it's cheap and has a really strong vanilla taste.
>>
>>7142149
A dark and stormys is literally dark rum and ginger beer. Are you retarded?
>>
>>7142280
Lab grade alcohol has benzene added to it, benzene causes cancer.
>>
>>7141732
Sailors still do drink plenty of rum. Certain brands like Gosling and Mount Gay also sponsor a ton of regattas.
>>
>>7141732
Apart from being given as rations to british sailors it was also a recommended preventative measure against the yellow fever at the time. A disease common to the Caribbean/indies where a lot of trade and as a result pirating was done.

But it was also essential for boats in all climates to have a stock of some kind of alcohol, they just kept their water in barrels so the only way to prevent that water from becoming throughly disgusting and virtually undrinkable moldy swamp water they added a certain amount of alcohol to each barrel in order to prevent bacteria from growing in it.
>>
Kraken gave me the single worst hangover of my entire life. Haven't touched the stuff in almost five years.

Sailor Jerry over ice is lovely if you're looking for a good spiced rum.

Fuck Captain Morgan btw
>>
>>7143886
shit seriously?
>>
>>7144086
For my yellow fever I just jack off to Morgan Lee
>>
>>7145390
patrician spotted
>>
File: Plantation-3-Stars-Bottle-F.jpg (55 KB, 300x1052) Image search: [Google]
Plantation-3-Stars-Bottle-F.jpg
55 KB, 300x1052
This was the first rum I ever had that I didn't think was pig disgusting. I still prefer gin most days.
>>
File: Zaya-Rum.jpg (178 KB, 1500x2548) Image search: [Google]
Zaya-Rum.jpg
178 KB, 1500x2548
My personal favorite for mixing and sipping
>>
>>7145390
NO HIPS
O

H
I
P
S
>>
>>7141708
>>7144045

>ctrl + f "gosling"

my family

mount gay is also quality
>>
>>7145905

mah nigga.

someones got taste in here
>>
>>7143842
Dark rum and spiced rum are two different things.
>>
>>7141703
Why do you hate yourself anon?
>>
>>7141645
Definitely prefer Kraken for sipping, but they're both pretty tasty.
>>
>>7142120
I would mount me some gay person. No homo.
>>
>>7141645
I prefer the kraken but if I am feeling lonely I will buy the Sailer Jerry and peel the label off when I am drunk and masturbate to the picture
>>
>>7145965
Yes. And kraken is a dark rum
>>
>>7141645
>Do you prefer Krake or Sailor Jerry? Kraken seems to go better with coke, but I feel like Sailor Jerry I could just drink on its own
Kraken is delicious. It's completely contrived and created in a laboratory, and rum from some unspecified location (doesn't matter) but they got the formula down right. It's much darker than some other spiced rums which is what makes it so delicious. Dark rum > light rum in every drink that calls for rum. It's not about aging upfront, but about the molasses flavor that rounds out the sugar.

I can't imagine anyone drinking spiced rum straight, it's meant to be a mixer, and as such, it's pretty sweet. I find that if you get a store brand or off brand of cola, you do better than with the original Coke.

Only better spiced rum than Kraken I've found, is something only imported and available at Total Wine (exclusive importer). It's FourSquare from Barbados, and has a great natural vanilla aftertaste as well as a solid smooth dark rum flavor.

If you are a spiced rum exclusivity drinker addict, as some people tend to be, much as gin drinkers are kind of exclusive like that, you simply need to buy the largest possible bottle, and know that you can shop at Costco/BJs warehouse near the holidays and get large party sizes without membership (by law). I'd also suggest taking a lower quality spiced rum and blending with a really fine one. To get the best, you have to go aged, and the good news with rum is that good rum can be at all pricetags, and it's more about import fees, honestly, and avoid packaging scams/advertised brands. Mount Gay, Appleton, both have estate and aged rums of great quality, and if you know travelers who don't mind TSA, Barbancourt is pretty awesome, and Pyrat has incredible citrus flavors. Florida has Papa's Pilar now which is highly ranked. Twist of lime, or splash of orange bitters and little bit of some homemade vanilla-allspice sugar and you have premium spiced rum.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>7146378
Try reading the label some time, genius.
>>
>>7145230
No. Are you retarded? What was posted, 95% ethanol, certainly isn't "laboratory grade". You'll find that the extra 5% is methanol which will make it taste awful and send you blind/kill you.

Actual ~100% ethanol would be difficult to get (I imagine) in most countries.
>>
>>7146390
Hey, I like you. You and I can be friends.
>>
>>7143382
This is the correct opinion
>>
>>7146888
>Hey, I like you. You and I can be friends.
Well high five then! Rum gets a bad rap amongst my friends, they're kind of South Beach Diet types with the low sugar vodka kind of crowd, as is the healthy thing to do. Rum gets a bad rap for hangovers, much like tequila (which I also worship with great authority! LOL).
>>
>>7146447
100% ethanol usually has benzene, or some other hydrocarbon, impurities because normal distillation can only get you up to 95% ethanol.

An entrainer, like benzene, needs to be added to the mixture to break the ethanol/water azeotrope and get you to 100%.
>>
>>7146966

But that's not "laboratory grade". That's "technical grade". The lab stuff that's certified for HPLC or similar contains nothing but minuscule trace amounts of impurities. It's 99.9999 if not more concentrated, and the chemical hazard labeling has a "0" in the "health" section.
>>
>>7146973
>But that's not "laboratory grade".
I know. I never said it was.
>>
>>7141645
>>7142250

>drinking the Kraken with anything other than ginger ale
>>
>>7141645
Hard choice, maybe Kraken because that's what we've been drinking lately and it doesn't fuck you up too much.
>>
>>7142321
>>don't want to go blind
that's methanol
>>
>drink bottle of kraken rum in the summer
>end up in my pool without any clothes on fighting my friend I was drinking with

I dunno why rum fucks me up so bad

It doesn't even make sense
>>
>>7147898
Although, I've never had sailor jerry before, but that kraken rum was pretty god damn good.

10/10 would drink again in a smaller amount
>>
File: 1428735785385.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1428735785385.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
Rum is the shit in general
>>
>>7147898
I have this same effect with bacardi white rum. Never had anything remotely close to a black out where I do a bunch of things I can't remember in 8 years of drinking and no matter how sloshed I get I can usually some what regulate my behavior. A couple mixed drinks and a few shots of bacardi white and I'm trying to wrestle people, vigorously dry humping a blown up palm tree decoration (beach theme party) and all kinds of cringe worthy hitting on girls along with slamming my head into things to see which is stronger.

If I were you I would try a different brand. I love dark rum of any other brand but bacardi and get a really chill, good kind of drunk where I don't even get a hangover off most rums. I tried bacardi white one other time then that and fucked a fat girl after puking a half dozen times in my friend's backyard. The only moby I've ever slain my whole life.
>>
>>7142120
Excuse these plebs; Mount Gay is the shit.
Spiced fucking rum, sub-pleb; a way for distilleries to dump shitty product to Teenz.
>>
File: whalers-original-dark-rum-40.jpg (12 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
whalers-original-dark-rum-40.jpg
12 KB, 340x340
>>7141645
This is my preferred rum. It's chap as hell, but pretty good.
>>
>>7142949
Cant go wrong climbing mount gay.
>>
File: kirk-sweeney-rum[1].jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kirk-sweeney-rum[1].jpg
52 KB, 500x500
Found this one recently. It's really not bad as a sipping rum, but just cheap enough that I don't feel bad for mixing it.
>>
I don't fuck with rum. Also I had a girl interested in me who drank Kraken a lot. She was fucked in the head. I'm fine with my whiskey :^)
>>
>>7148714
Thanks for the story mate, it was a very good one :^)
>>
>>7148729
Of course m8, be sure to subscribe to my blog on /ck/™
>>
File: IMG_20151207_233000201.jpg (3 MB, 3936x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151207_233000201.jpg
3 MB, 3936x2952
>>7145905
>>7145959
God damn right. You guys should try this shit too.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.