[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /ck/ like "alternative" cuisine, such as oxtail
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 12
File: OxTail.jpg (525 KB, 1600x1387) Image search: [Google]
OxTail.jpg
525 KB, 1600x1387
Does /ck/ like "alternative" cuisine, such as oxtail stew, or bone soup?

I do, I like it a lot.
>>
>>7140924
How is oxtail stew "alternative" cuisine?
>>
>>7140924
yeah but recently all the "alternative" places seem to be overrun with hipsters and I think hipsters are fucking trash so I stay away
>>
>>7140931

It's a cut of meat not commonly used by civilized people.
>>
>>7140932

Most hipsters have disposable income to indulge in "ethnic" delicacies. I've never in my life met one without a heavy income stream fron multiple sources. I don't mind them so much, they patronize my business quite a bit.
>>
>>7140937
Might be an american thing then because oxtail is used very frequent in most parts of Europe.
>>
>>7140941
if they were smart they'd be eating cheap and saving money so they could hit 50 and be happy and rich instead of stupid and poor.
>>
>>7140941
This is funny to me because in the grocery stores where I live oxtail is cheap as dirt.
>>
>>7140942

Most parts of Europe have an equal or greater "Sub-Saharan African" migrant population from islands and mainland Africa...having brought with them their cuisine and traditions. I'm in Ireland and never once have I seen this ingredient used in anything other than stock until the Jamaican food truck prepare it this way.

I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
>>7140951
cuts of meat are priced by demand not quality or whatever. remember when skirt steak was cheap as fuck before everyone jumped on the fajita bandwagon
>>
>>7140942
there's tons of things we don't use here in the US. Gotta remember that America only had one really short, bad period of recession and suffering where Europe has had millennia to develop desperation cuisine.

Frankly, I think it's a little unusual, but I'll still eat stuff like this. It's not as if 'garbage parts' aren't still good eatin' when rendered properly. If anything, the average American is just funny about what is 'okay' to put on a plate.
>>
>>7140956
African or not, the spanish and french have cooked with oxtail for centuries and i'm sure many east european countries have as well.
>>
>>7140947

>if they were smart

You don't have to be intelligent to be a successful person. Plenty of stupid people think up business plans which help other people and create a demand around the product/service they're selling.

I own a liquor store...in Ireland...the business practically runs itself.
>>
>>7140958
No I don't remember, i'm not american.
>>
>>7140963
it's not a matter of getting the money, it's keeping the money and making it work for you. whittling away your income on frivolous expenditures all the time won't get you anywhere, and it's not as if you can't eat well on small amounts of money.
>>
>>7140962

I'm certain they adapted the usage of the ingredient from Northern Africans. Matadores don't eat the tail after they've cut it off, usually they're kept as "kill" trophies after the hull is defeated. Completely unrelated topic, but bull fights are very interesting. I enjoyed my time in Valencia and Barcelona.
>>
>>7140968
well surely you have some cut of meat in yo country that was once dirt cheap then got popular one way or another and the price went up, right?
>>
>>7140963
>I own a liquor store...in Ireland
That's the move of a smart person desu.
>>
>>7140970

True, but that lifestyle itself is a frivolous money piss, exorbitant traveling and lodging while traveling. Excessive eating, vintage shopping, classic cars or hybrids...hipsters generally have decent careers and spent quite a bit more on average than the common person coming in there.

I don't mind them that much it's just a a trend...like yuppies in the 1980's.
>>
>>7140971
It wouldn't surprise me if the spanish and french adopted some ingredients seeing as they had several african colonies. Point is that whenever it was adopted, it was at least a few centuries ago and have been staple ingredients for a very, very long time.
>>
>>7140973
We sure do. Pork belly prices have gone up considerably in the last 10 years.
>>
>>7140987

Olives and grapes as well, true. I suppose it's more what people did with the ingredients as opposed to where they originally come from.

I've never seen it on my travels through either country, but my travels always consisted around either work or family...neither of which provide ample wiggle room to fuck off somewhere and do something random like find a restaurant that serves tails and organs.

Honestly we stayed in agriturismos 99% of the time, so we were at the mercy of the live-in cook. Never had a bad experience though, I HIGHLY recommend staying on agriturismos while traveling.
>>
>>7140971
Why,because they only started having poor french/spanish/italian people after they ventured into the colony business,is that it?

How many bulls do you recon gets killed by matadors every year? How many cattle do you think a entire country kills off each year?

Trust me, shitpoor frenchies, italians and spaniards had been living off of udders, livers, tounge, tail ,ass and gizzards for centuries allready when the first colonies were founded.
>>
>>7141001

Livestock weren't commonly raised by Serfdom and peasantry though, the scraps they were left by their Lords, Dukes, Masters and other figureheads didn't leave much... if anything.

If poverty stricken people were "wealthy" enough to perpetuate livestock they got the most they possibly could out of the animals until they killed them like: milk, labor to till fields, pull carts, erect buildings etc etc etc.

If people could "afford" to kill of healthy livestock they weren't poor, and most certainly have traveled. Europeans and Northern Africans have been trading for thousands and thousands of years...well before the colonies were established. Bringing back a recipe they found in Tunisia, Morocco, or Saudi Arabia wouldn't be too far out of the realm of reality.

Like I said, in my personal travels I've never once seen it, or heard of it until the Jamaican food truck guy came in to pick up his case of Appleton rum I ordered for him, he gave me a meal as a tip for doing a "good job" despite the fact I profited €125 off that sale.
>>
>been eating "alternative" cuisine since i was a little kid
I guess I'm cool now.

Also, all this talk about
>loloxtails arent european!!!! it came from africa!!!! it came from muslims!!!
You're a bunch of fucking morons. There might be all of four black people and three mudslimes in my country and oxtail has been part of our cuisine for at least a couple thousand years.
>>
>>7140956
oxtail has always been big in england
>>
>>7141014

Curries have been around your country for thousands of years but no brown people?

That's odd.
>>
>>7141017

I've never seen it there, but jellied eels were interesting. I also enjoyed them. It's like an aspic. Quite nice.
>>
>>7141014

>came from Muslims

Yea... pretty much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

>From as few as 80 progenitors domesticated in southeast Turkey about 10,500 years ago,[1] according to an estimate from 2003, there are 1.3 billion cattle in the world.[2] In 2009, cattle became one of the first livestock animals to have a fully mapped genome.[3] Some consider cattle the oldest form of wealth, and cattle raiding consequently one of the earliest forms of theft.

>southeast Turkey
>>
>>7140924

>bone soup

literally every stock is made of bones.
every soup is made of stock

oxtail common cut of meat.

tl;dr itt amerifats
>>
>>7140981
right, I just don't think they should live such lifestyles, figure they'll regret it later
>>
>>7141041
This

This thread would better serve as a cringe thread on /b/.
>>
>>7141041

I live in Ireland though, and open ended bones with gelatinous marrow oozing out of them being served in a bowl of soup isn't common here, is it common where you live?
>>
>>7141044

It's a good thing you can't impose your customs on other people then. Look at the percentage of lottery winners and investing wisely. Most are $0 broke in 5 years. That's the average.

A fool and his money are easily parted. As the adage goes...
>>
American here

I've frankly never used ox tail, but I've sure as hell thought about it a few times. Thing is, I don't live by many euro/asian market places in my area like Rance 99, or H-Mart; I have the delightful pleasure of living in San Diego so everything is mexican, mexican and more mexican. That doesn't stop me from making bone broths at least twice a month, however. In fact, I make pho broth and jar it in the freezer which covers me for the entire month. If I want to do something exotic like ox tail, I need to travel about 30-45 minutes north to some more oriental/foreign stores. Closest thing I have to an 'alternative' store locally is something called Seafood City, which caters to mostly Philippine style foods.
>>
>>7141019
>oxtail can only be cooked as curry!!!!
I've never had an oxtail curry. Most common way I've had it is as a soup with barley, onions, white turnips, yellow parsnips and a fucktonne of lovage (or a mix of parsley and herb-celery, if lovage isn't available). Also tallow.

>>7141031
>implying there were mudslimes 10500 years ago
There weren't even Jews that long back.
>>
>>7141085

Ranch 99*

Sorry I'm drinking!
>>
>>7140924
As a Jamaican, we have this often.
Had a huge pot for thanksgiving. We have a personal butcher who sells it to us for 1.99 dollars a lb. Family friend type of guy
>>
>>7141091
I'd felate a Jamaican for $1.99/lb oxtail.
>>
>>7141096
but your paying for a lot of bone too
>>
>>7141109
>>7141096
The oxtail he sells is pretty meaty, but yes don't forget about the bone.

How much do you normally spend?
>>
>>7141086

Religious beliefs change genetics? Lol.

I don't believe you when you say you're European and your country isn't overrun with welfare migrants. Which Eutopia are you living in?
>>
>>7141130
>Religious beliefs change genetics?

Who said anything about that?
>>
>>7141130
>he believes people can be genetically muslim!!!
How fucking retarded are you?
>>
>>7141140

You did. Southeastern Turkey would have been populated by the same kind of people living there today. Religion doesn't really matter when looking at things with realistic perspective.

I'll ask you too since you seem on the level, is bone soup common where you live? Where thr bones are cylindrical and marrow is oozing out of both ends..but it's served in a bowl of broth with vegetables?

I'd like to experiment more but haven't been able to find many recipes, maybe it's just something this foodtruck guy invented.
>>
>>7141142
See
>>7141151

Yes....kinda.

Also, could you answer my question about bone soup? Thanks!
>>
>>7141151
No he didn't. No one did. You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>7141184

I cited Southeastern Turkey as being the place where Cattle were domesticated very early on in this thread.

Have you ever had that soup though? I want to know if it's just an invention of this one Jamaican person living/working in Cork Ireland.
>>
Chili Verde oxtail, its not for you
>>
>>7141197
I bet you like cake.
>>
>>7141205

Recipes brought to the Americas by Conquistadores. Also the cattle.

Mexicans are hybrid people, don't say anything you eat now is traditional cuisine considering 90% of the ingredients you use/grow/utilize are from other places in the world.
>>
>>7141209

Chocolate Torte with tea is nice, what about the soup though? Have you had it?
>>
File: 1449185219734.png (214 KB, 465x531) Image search: [Google]
1449185219734.png
214 KB, 465x531
>>7141211 who the fuck is talking about tradition or half the shit you posted
>>
>>7140932
>>7140941

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
>>
only time i've been served Oxtail has been from Jamaican restaurants. I enjoy it alot.
>>
>>7141211 yeah like tomatoes and jalapeños or cilantro, potatoes...
>>
>>7141041
>>7141051

this. and not just the european idea of stock championed by the french, people in asia have been doing the same thing. this thread is buttfuck retarded.
>>
File: TONGUE, MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (67 KB, 600x472) Image search: [Google]
TONGUE, MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
67 KB, 600x472
>>7140924

Pretty common in Germany atleast.
>>
>>7141229

Tldr, I like hipsters they spend a lot on liquor, especially this time of year through the new year.
>>
>>7141224

Have you tried the bone soup I'm talking about?
>>
>>7141234

Coriander grows all over the world. Lol. So do chiles. Which are just berries. Birds carry them in their feces and bring them across the planet.

Yes, some birds cross oceans on their migrations.
>>
>>7140924

I do oxtail stew using red wine or beer/stout. had oxtail curry a few times, west indian style. also spanish oxtail with a sticky red wine reduction.

pig cheek stew with grain mustard and cider.
beef cheeks even better.

tripe, bacon and pea stew

marrow with beef, or on toast.
>>
>>7141242
Tacos lengua with onion, cilantro, cactus, and queso fresco are my favorite
>>
>>7141234
Potatoes are from the Andes and, believe or fucking not, were brought to Mexico from there by the Spaniards. And coriander/cilantro is not native to the Americas at all. Nor are garlic, onion, cumin, citrus, bananas, wheat or mangoes. Or rice. The Pro-Columbian inhabitants of modern day Mexico did not trade with the First Nations of Canada and the American Northwest and therefore had no access to rice of any sort either before the Spaniards.

>>7141211
To be fair, a larger portion of the common Mexican diet is pre-Columbian than any Old World diet except, maybe, Northern China.

>>7141253
You are so fucking stupid. It's disgusting.
>>
>>7141346
I don't even have to read back at what you're responding to to know you're that autistic faggot who thinks the columbian exchange is a huge secret covered up by a SJW conspiracy and likes to blather on about muh authenticity

go choke on ten thousand dicks, faggot
>>
>>7141366
What are you on about? This is literally the first time I've ever brought it up, there's no conspiracy, and you're a moron.
The moral of the story was that the exchange was mutually beneficial to both new world and old world culinary traditions.
Stop being such a faggot, you cock-gargling mongoloid.
>>
>>7141389
oh, I guess you're someone else then

there's some fag who is always going on about how indian food isn't really indian food because chiles are from the new world, and mexican food is degenerate because they eat pork and race mixing is against hitler
>>
>>7141403
Then yeah: he does sound like a faggot.

Basically, if you can't imagine Mexican food without coriander, rice or onions or Italian food without tomatoes, beans or peppers, then congratulations: you understand that the Columbian Exchange made the culinary world a better place for all people the world over.
And praise be to Xenu that cashews, peanuts and chocolate were adopted into world culture to the extent that they have because them's shits be delicious.
>>
>>7141346

>birds don't spread seeds

http://www.ehow.com/info_8270341_do-birds-disperse-seeds.html
>>
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE BONE SOUP I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT WITH THE OPEN ENDED BONES AND SOFT MARROW LEAKING OUT OF IT, PLACES IN A BOWL OF BROTH/STOCK/SOUP?!?!?!?!

I can't be the only one.
>>
>>7141438

I'm about to make some beef femur bone soup tonight; femur bone ends are chopped full of marrow, it's gonna be good stuff.
>>
>>7140941

Hipsters like things like oxtail because they aren't mainstream, and are therefore also dirt cheap, especially when you go down to the Honduran butcher shop in true hipster fashion.
>>
File: 4005326354_0d57101c4e_z.jpg (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4005326354_0d57101c4e_z.jpg
100 KB, 640x480
Oxtail is tasty but fiddly and expensive; all the Carribean places around here sell it. Better just to go with the jerk or curry.

Gamjatang is the best bone soup.
>>
>>7141446
The fuck is chopped full
>>
>>7141454

The point in mentioning them having disposable income is to say they have enough money to continuously go out to eat, travel, make art etc etc etc, not because slave-era recipes are expensive. Oxtail is a disgusting cut of meat I'd prefer not to eat when I can afford to eat a full prime rib every week. Not that I would but the money is there.
>>
>>7141478

He meant chock (ed).
>>
>>7141435
Of course they spread seeds. The point is that there is no evidence of any seeds of any variety/species of capsicum ever leaving the Americas before the Columbian Exchange. Stop reaching.

>>7141454
>oxtail
>cheap
It /was/ cheap before hipfags "discovered" it.

>>7141114
$7.99/lb here. Tenderloin is $6.99/lb.

>>7141480
Prime rib is $8.99/lb here. Not much higher than oxtail. Honestly, I prefer the taste of oxtail, likely because it's something I grew up eating.
>>
>>7141519

Peppers spread across the Americas via animals and birds though, you really think it's out of the realm of possibility that an animal with seeds in their shit crossed from New Foundland to Greenland or Iceland?

Hmm...egg plants are very close to peppers genetically, they're in the same nightshade family...but they're all over Asia and Europe...

You're an odd little man.
>>
>>7141519
>Prime rib is $8.99/lb here
What kind of garbage prime rib are you getting for $8.99/lb?
>>
>>7140924
>it's alternative if you're white
>>
>>7141633
Probably just CAFO shit that has enough nontherapeutic antibiotics to sterilize the Indian subcontinent.

I probably *could* buy tenderloin for $7 a pound if I made a mission out of it, but honestly I have no idea where you even go for that kind of thing. I guess walmart? But there's no walmart where I live.

Skirt is about $20 a pound where I live. Or more specifically, where I buy meat.
>>
>>7141229

Sure is defensive hipsters in here
>>
>>7141638
Life as a whole is alternative if you aren't white.
>>
>>7141657

Top quality prime rib is $13 lbs here, and usually is sold roast form for hundreds of dollars. I know it's not the Arby's flatbread sandwich you're used to... but in the real world a piece of meat that costs $300+ for one Holiday meal is an exorbitant expense.
>>
its a pretty common dish here in mexico
>>
>>7141229
Hipster is a mentality. A modern hipster is one who lacks authenticity in obscurity.
>>
File: pigearterrine.jpg (67 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
pigearterrine.jpg
67 KB, 610x458
>>7140924
pig ear and tongue terrine is fucking amazing and whenever I get it I can just work through a fucking half a kilo of the stuff
>>
>>7142242

gross
>>
File: smoked pigs ears.jpg (637 KB, 1920x1285) Image search: [Google]
smoked pigs ears.jpg
637 KB, 1920x1285
>>7142287
what's the matter? 2haram4you?
>>
>>7142242
>Pig ears

Damn son the only time I've encountered pig ears as food was in Hong Kong where it was served as street food. Where did you get your terrine from?

>>7142287
Don't judge m8
>>
>>7142305
>Where did you get your terrine from?
ehh mostly in eastern europe (poland, baltics), haven't seen it anywhere else
the french probably make it too
>where it was served as street food
the terrine is pretty high standard food here - you can only buy it in deli sections, although smoked pigs ears are a damn good beer snack
>>
>>7140981
Hipsters are just yuppies in denial
>>
File: HK Street Food.jpg (79 KB, 530x397) Image search: [Google]
HK Street Food.jpg
79 KB, 530x397
>>7142314
Yeah, I know terrines are pretty fancy. It's just interesting to know that pigs ears and other offal are still popular in Europe. The only time I've encountered that kinda stuff before was on a trip to Hong Kong.

Pic related, got it off google but I basically ate the same thing. Braised pigs ears on the top skewer, pigs intestines stuffed with lard then double fried on the bottom.
>>
>>7141628
>Peppers spread across the Americas via animals and birds though,
No. They didn't. If they'd had, we'd have records of other sorts of natives using them besides the pre-Columbian inhabitants of what is today's Mexico. Peppers were unknown to Andeans and Canada's First Nations people.
>you really think it's out of the realm of possibility that an animal with seeds in their shit crossed from New Foundland to Greenland or Iceland?
It's possible, but being possible doesn't mean it ever happened. If it had, we'd have records of Yupiks and Inuits and Icelanders having heard of some variety of capsicums before the Columbian Exchange, but we don't.

>Hmm...egg plants are very close to peppers genetically, they're in the same nightshade family...but they're all over Asia and Europe...
That is an entirely unrelated point. It's like saying that because there were jaguars in the Americas, the common housecat existed there, too. Which it didn't. It was brought to the Americas by Europeans.
Alternate point: Muscadines (vitis rotundifolia) are native to the Americas, are commonly eaten by birds and were entire unknown to Europeans before the Columbian Exchange while common grapes (vitis vinifera) are native to the Old World, are commonly eaten by birds and were unknown to the Pre-Columbian peoples of the Americas before the Columbian Exchange.
Having related species exist in both hemispheres doesn't mean that the same species exists in both hemispheres.

Furthermore, the greatest distance a bird is known to travel in a single day is 1000km/620 miles. The Atlantic, which has no islands for rest midway between the Americas and the Old World, is nearly triple that distance. No bird could ever make the flight.

>b-but the pacific!!!
Might be possible, but were it the case, we'd have records of Asians using some variety of capsicums or others before the pre-Columbian Exchange, but we don't. Because there is none.
Stop reaching.
>>
>>7141633
Beats the fuck out of me. I just searched for "prime rib" on the website of a local grocery chain and posted the cheapest thing that came up, "whole prime rib roast." Steaks are $12.99/lb and up. Maybe it reflects a current sale price. I don't know. I don't buy prime rib because I'm a cheap sumbitch.

>>7141657
That's nice. It's not Walmart and you're an enormous faggot.

>>7141977
That's nice, but I never said 'top quality.'
Prime rib steaks are that price right now here while whole is cheaper. Tenderloin, as I said, is $6.99/lb (and I've actualy seen it dip as low as $5.99/lb) while fillet steaks/fillet mignon is $9.99/lb and up.
>>
File: Meat3jpg-2470689_p9.jpg (123 KB, 659x473) Image search: [Google]
Meat3jpg-2470689_p9.jpg
123 KB, 659x473
>>7141977
>you have standards so you must eat fast food
Try to gather your thoughts and use consistent insults next time
>Top quality prime rib is $13
Your definition of "top quality" is broken, there is no way you're getting meat that isn't CAFO and literally infused with antibiotics and hormones
> in the real world a piece of meat that costs $300+ for one Holiday meal is an exorbitant expense.
In the "real world" you don't eat it all yourself. So maybe by "one meal" you mean one meal for each member of a mormon-size family and then some, in which case, yeah, no, it's not exorbitant. It's a fucking holiday meal, so naturally you spend a little more than you'd spend every day. Speaking of Arby's....
>>
>>7140924
you made it again, you little shit
go back whence you came >>>/b/
BA/CK/!
BA/CK/ I SAY!
>>
>>7140931
With increased urbanization and access to freezing, whole usage of the animal falls to the side of minced meat versus high grade cuts.

Stock falls to the side for premade sauce packages.
This is even true for people with tradition to use stock for high end meals: It tends to die off in favor of only happening for Christmas season.
Its simply the ugly side of what happens to a urbanized modern society. And its very ugly in the long run.
Sure, pickling dying off is one thing. But when people think its some mythical process things has gone too far.
>>
>>7140924
Me and my nigga used to go to the Jamaican spot in the hood and get oxtail stew over rice. It was fucking delicious.
>>
>>7142709

>records
>implying savages kept records

LOL

I don't even need to respond to anything you've said after that.
>>
>>7142790

I have an interest in food and cooking, not trannies, roll threads and conversing with 15yo high school children. I can't recall the last time I posted on /b/. It's a waste of time. I don't even have to visit /b/ to guarantee the front page threads will be nothing but the types of threads I just mentioned.
>>
>>7142836
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_first_written_accounts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
>>
>>7142998

Totem poles, cave paintings and fire dance songs aren't a written account of history. At all.
>>
>>7143020
Keep movin' dem goalposts, family.
>>
>>7143023

Show one example of a book written by them. Just one. Not a calander carved in stone, or a false deity statue, how about a doctrine, or tribal history not carved into logs jammed into the ground.

I'll wait, but it won't happen. You said they documented history, I don't believe they did...in fact...I know they didn't. A picture of a stick figure throwing a spear at a bison isn't a documentation of historical facts at all.
>>
>>7143029
Not going to read this clusterfuck of a thread, but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_de_Landa
>After hearing of Roman Catholic Maya who continued to practice idol worship, he ordered an Inquisition in Mani ending with a ceremony called auto de fé. During the ceremony on July 12, 1562, a disputed number of Maya codices (according to Landa, 27 books) and approximately 5,000 Maya cult images were burned. The actions of Landa passed into the Black Legend of the Spanish in the Americas.

Only three pre-Columbian books of Maya hieroglyphics (also known as a codex) and, perhaps, fragments of a fourth are known to have survived. Collectively, these works are known as the Maya codices.
Destruction of written records was a thing that was done, deal with it
>>
>>7143049

So a European person wrote down an account of pre-colonial history, word of mouth. That's like committing the Talmud to physical writing. I asked for written history by the people themselves, not a written account of one persons interactions with indigenous peoples.

That's not history, it's a story one man wrote. So...basically your post affirms that savages never kept historical records because they were in fact savages.
>>
>>7143049
The guy meant Asians didn't write books, not Mayans. Which is even more retarded.

The original point was that if capsicums were brought to Asia before the Columbian Exchange, one of those cultures would have a record of them somewhere, but none do.
Then Anon trollingly said that Asian savages didn't keep records, which is so off the mark that it's not even wrong as all cultures, even preliterate cultures, kept records (in the form of cave paintings).

He also argues against points no one made such as

>>7143029
> You said they documented history
When no one made that point. The point made was that if capsicums were brought to Asia before the Columbian Exchange, one of those cultures would have a record of them somewhere, but none do. A record is not necessarily a documentation of history. A photograph is a record just as a painting, an oral tradition or even common (though often completely fallible) knowledge. Those are all records.
The fact that something so pervasive to many Asian cuisines as capsicums has no record of any kind prior to the Columbian Exchange suggests that capsicums were unknown to the Old World before the Columbian Exchange.
>>
>>7141229
Kek i am convinced the term hipster is only used by like high schoolers and i guess undergrad college kids. And probably NEETS.
>>
>>7143104
Can a NEET be a hipster?
>>
>>7143097

Yes, someone other than myself made that point and I never said Asians never documented history, I said Native Americans (both north and south Americans) never documented their history outside of rudimentary means.

A painting can represent fantasy, as most do...that's not a reputable source of historical facts at all.
>>
File: codex-dresden.jpg (888 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
codex-dresden.jpg
888 KB, 1600x900
>>7143075
No, dumbfuck. A European tried to write down some primitive translation tables to remember stuff that appealed to him, before burning the parts he didn't like, i.e, most of it.

The actual written stuff existed before Columbus showed up.
>>
>>7143104
By NEET I just meant a person who has never really gotten out much and experienced things. "Shut-in" is probably a better term?
>>
>>7143117

So there's one persons account of "finding" some ancient writings that only he saw, then burned to cover up ghr evidence and never let anyone else see them huh?

Sounds like mormanism.
>>
>>7143131
Basically, yeah

You have to understand that the Spanish met the Mesoamericans at exactly the same point in history when they were still in full extermination mode against Moors and Jews

It was official doctrine that all non-Christian cultural relics should be annihilated, and, when in doubt, destroy it anyway
>>
>>7143137

The Moors abducted millions upon millions of Europeans into slavery, they deserved to be exterminated.
>>
>>7143137

So there's no actual evidence this person didn't write/draw thsee historical artifacts himself for attention and praise then. Okay. Seems to me he did it to get a pat on the back from the Vatican if anything.

"Hey guise I totally found some stuff...buuuut I burned it all except a few pages despite thousands of years of this civilizations existence...sooooo...don't question it just take me at my word as a good Christian soldier....can I haz mai reward now pl0x?"
>>
>>7143109
see >>7142836
>implying savages kept records
Which was in response to >>7142709
>were it the case, we'd have records of Asians using some variety of capsicums or others before the pre-Columbian Exchange, but we don't.
No more backpedaling. It's not cute.

Now then:
>implying fantasy is not a record
Of course it is.
Myth is just as much a record as fact. By the myth of Susano-o and Yamata no Orochi, we know that the Japanese knew of sake since before 680AD and that it predates the earliest written account we know of the story.
By the fact that fat fertility goddess figurines were discovered in Çatalhöyük, we know that the preliterate society that existed there in ancient times valued BBWs.
Records != historically accurate, meticulously curated documentation of things.

By the use of lavender paint in the cave paintings of the Canaanites, we know that they farmed winkles, a species of sea snail (from which the colour 'periwinkle' gets its name).

There is not a single shred of evidence that any Old World culture had capsicums before the Columbian Exchange. None.
>>
>>7143145
What's your point as it relates to this thread? You just want to go on a rant about dindus? Good for you.
>>7143153
>So there's no actual evidence this person didn't write/draw thsee historical artifacts himself for attention and praise then
What are you talking about? There's a picture of one of the surviving artifacts in the post you quoted.
>>
>>7143162

How do you know the European man himself didn't draw them for attention and praise?
>>
>>7143160

>BBW

Yes, in a world where most people starve to death, having an overabundance of food makes you highly coveted...many modern African tribes think the same thing.
>>
>>7143182
Expert consensus, same as anything else.

How do you know the holocaust is real, or mirrors?
>>
>>7143189

The Holocaust has nothing to do with what we're talking about, compare it to the Holodomor...a lot more people died during that genocide.

Then again, it has nothing to do with the guaranteed fact those writings were forged/invented for attention and praise.
>>
>>7143160

>myth
>fact

Pick one
>>
>>7143200
>the guaranteed fact those writings were forged/invented for attention and praise.
Considering European experts were still deciphering new parts of these manuscripts well into the 20th century, in part by correcting errors made by the guy who created the original translation tables, he must have been a diabolical supergenius with a great sense of humor in addition to an unprecedented, and historically unappreciated knowledge of astronomy, anthropology, and linguistics.

But I'm sure you must be right, just like you're right about the holocaust not real.
>>
>>7143225

Yes, there are dozens of indecipherable texts written throughout history most notably the Book of Kels from my country. Good thing there are very detailed pictures to go along with its writings.
>>
>>7143205
Don't have to. Not when myth can be used to figure out facts of the society from whence they came. Kinda how we can see that Germans have always been dark and creepy weirdos from the story of the three black princesses. From a 19th century English translation of the last paragraph of the story:
>Then all the three princesses sprang up, and said, "Thou accursed dog, our blood shall cry for vengeance on thee! Now there is no man born in the world, nor will any ever be born who can set us free! We have still three brothers who are bound by seven chains they shall tear thee to pieces." Then there was a loud shrieking all over the castle, and he sprang out of the window, and broke his leg, and the castle sank into the earth again, the mountain shut to again, and no one knew where the castle had stood.

The end. The brothers, the chains, the princesses getting set free: none of that was ever mentioned nor even foreshadowed at any part of the story prior to the last, weird paragraph.

Unrelated, but I would totally play a jRPG based on the continuance of that story, the protagonist recovering from his broken leg, the brothers seeking revenge not only on him but all mankind, and he and his band of misfits seeking the seven chains to bind them once again and save the world. That would be pretty fucking cool, I think.
>>
>>7143225

I never said the Holocaust wasn't real, now you're just being pathetic. The Holodomor is a more significant historical genocide sorry it stole your thunder Schlomo.
>>
File: drunk.jpg (34 KB, 468x353) Image search: [Google]
drunk.jpg
34 KB, 468x353
>>7143237
>irish
You should have just said you were born retarded so I wouldn't have wasted time arguing with you
>>
>>7143240

It's a story though not historical fact...so...I don't get what history you're referencing in a fairy tale.

Max und Moritz are better German fairy tales...they teach important life lessons. The thumbsucker being my favourite.
>>
>>7143243
Actually the mongol genocides were more historically significant, you smelly little slav. You're just unable to say anything against your asiatic ancestors so you can't accept historical facts.
>>
>>7143244
It's not his fault he has FASD.
>>
>>7143244

A welshman brought Christianity to Ireland, you really have yourselves to blame, Mr. Bong.
>>
>>7143250

One in every 200 men alive are blood related to Khan, he replaced every person he killed plus some. I'm not Slavic but your butthurt is funny.
>>
>>7143248
Eh, I just wanted to share the really weird ending to a really bizarre story and it, admittedly, has little to do with the thread.
I made all the points I needed to make: Asians didn't have capsicums, myths can help us, through the use of common reasoning, learn certain things about the societies that dream them up, and that records can include far more than the literal, written word.
>>
File: hoc3.jpg (187 KB, 1043x800) Image search: [Google]
hoc3.jpg
187 KB, 1043x800
>>7143254
Sorry, wrong continent, or lack thereof.

You're all pretty much the same anyway, I find it funny that you'll blow each other up over having the wrong accent.
>>
>>7143264

The Irish killed and continue to kill the British because they're an occupying military force imposing their laws/lifestyle on indigenous people.

The troubles aren't really a focus for anyone but pikey scum and drunk old men.
>>
File: IMG_20150806_203404.jpg (2 MB, 3072x3072) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150806_203404.jpg
2 MB, 3072x3072
>>7143263

Yes, stories can teach a lesson.
>>
>>7141285

I fucking love tacos lengua but adding queso fresco and cactus is new to me. I assume its fried cactus for this?
>>
>>7143264
Not him, but it's odd you bring that up: see, the Irish are genetically separate from the Britons. IIRC, 70% of Britons have DNA originating from outside of the first inhabitants of the Islands, be it Frankish, German, Dane, it's of Germanic origin or, in the case of others, Roman.
However, the Irish as well as the northern Welsh are mostly Gaelic/Celtic.
Which brings me to >7141151
No. The people in Southeastern Turkey today are not the same people as those of 10500 years ago due to Mohammedan conquest and rape and pillage and so on in the 8th century. So no: they're not genetically the same as today's Muslim Turks. Not. Even. Close.
>>
>>7141041
I have to laugh every time I hear about the bone soup trend. I first heard about it when someone posted a GMA clip about the wonders of bone broth on Facebook.
At the end, even one of the women said, "Yeah, that's just stock."
>>
>>7143420

I've never once eaten or used stock wit bones in it.
>>
>>7143420

Stock is clarified and doesn't have 6 inch sections of cattle femur split in half resting at the bottom of the bowl. That would be marrow in bone soup, which is what the "bone soup" guy is talking about.
>>
>>7143491

Your talking about stock
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.