[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw all electric house I can't use a gas range and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 108693.jpg (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
108693.jpg
41 KB, 400x300
>tfw all electric house
I can't use a gas range and I have an oversized skillet that doesn't work as well as it should because my electric burners are too small.

I know I could buy an external propane burner, but that would be a pain in the ass to store when I don't need it.

I know that I could get a skillet with a thicker bottom for better heat distribution, but I just bought this one.

Are there any adapters or extensions for larger electric coils? Help
>>
I've never even used a gas hob so I don't know what I'm missing out on. We had a wood stove at home and cooking with it is a blast, but it's a bit labour intensive and it gets really really hot.
>>
>I know I could buy an external propane burner, but that would be a pain in the ass to store when I don't need it.

Do you have room to set it aside in some corner and cover it up?
>>
>>7140805
Yes, but if there' any other alternative I'd rather not buy a whole separate cook top.
>>
File: 1429744846038.png (208 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1429744846038.png
208 KB, 480x480
>Think i'm an ok cook
>Fix something up at a friends house, he's got an electric stove, i've only ever used gas
>mfw I fuck up everything because I can't into electric

Fuck I find it so hard to judge temperature without gas
>>
I would never move into a house with an Electric Range.

Its either gas, or I am not living there.
>>
>>7141061
touch it really quick
>>
I've never lived in a house with a gas range as they're not too common in my country. Am I missing out?
>>
gas ranges are unhealthy
>>
>>7140794
Buy 300gal propane tank and run you a line inside. Now buy an LP range/stove.combo or NG range and convert it to LP
>>
>>7141280
I lucked out on a deal for a gas range a few years ago and replaced my electric. I dread the day I move out of this place and might be stuck with an electric range again.

With a gas range the temperature adjustments are instant, instead of waiting for the element to cool down or heat up, they're hot as soon as you turn them on.
>>
>>7141291
Good idea but I live in a townhouse and outside modifications are absolutely prohibited.
>>
>>7141280
yes.
>live in downtown apartment for work
>all electric but I have my good equipment
>have vacation house to get out of city
>gas range but shit equipment
>>
buy and induction cooktop.
http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1449370890&sr=1-3&keywords=induction+cooktop
>>
>>7141705
Aren't those bad for fine control?
>>
>>7141493
I hope you are renting that shit of property. Here in the land of free you're free to do with your land as you please so long as you pay your yearly genocide tax. Most residents who do not have NG hookups simply purchase a propane tank and have it buried in their backyard only leaving a smell portion of the top exposed for future refills but they also keep shrubbery around those.
>>
>be 28
>buy house with gas range
>year later
would NEVER go back to anything but gas
>>
>>7141971
I own it, it was cheap for the are I live in and I'm 25, so not a whole lot of cash to throw down. I don't plan on living here forever though
>>
>>7141881
maybe, who even needs "fine control"

it is the most energy efficent way, a pot of water boils within minutes.
>>
What's so great about gas?
>>
>>7142409
>who even needs "fine control"

People who like to cook things to any doneness other than "burnt"
>>
>>7142460
Truth. Coils are the only thing I've seen that can burn past to the bottom of a thick pot during a rolling boil.
>>
>>7142460
I've been using induction for three years and I've never burnt anything on it.
>>
>>7142507
I've burnt on induction but it was my own stupid fault.

Induction is pretty good, better than electric but ultra inferior to gas.
>>
>>7142452
>want temperature
>turn knob
>get desired temperature immediately

It's orders of magnitude better than electric. After you've used gas, electric will make you want to pull your fingernails out in frustration.

I hear induction is pretty good though.
>>
>>7141275
don't do this, makes retard fumes
>>
>2015
>incapable of using gas or electric without issues
>drive automatic car
>don't lift
>ketchup
>>
File: bf3.jpg (63 KB, 600x885) Image search: [Google]
bf3.jpg
63 KB, 600x885
>live in gayrope
>everything gas

>move to canada
>everything electric
>mfw
>>
yeah i've only had electric ranges in my life growing up. one of my cousins had an old 1930s gas oven/broiler/stovetop and that thing seemed to work great but I never directly used it. Maybe someday...
>>
I've used nothing but electric. What's it like to have gas?
>>
>>7145526
bloated stomach, pain is some cases
>>
File: 1420053874461.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1420053874461.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>tfw mom bought a glass top
>>
>>7145526
>What's it like to have gas?

More control, temperature changes happen quicker.

Electric is better when it comes to baking. The majority of commercial-grade ovens are electric and convection (i.e. fan-assisted) for faster and more even baking.
>>
>grow up in a house with gas and learn to cook on it
>move out and use electric for many years now

If you're blaming your burnt fuckups on the stove, you're an idiot. As someone who has used both extensively, there is differences to each and you have to adjust your cooking methods a little bit. I personally think a gas stove is better (but prefer my electric oven), but it can be hard sometimes to switch back and forth when I'm cooking at my parents house because I have to remember to adjust. Cooking with electric coils is kind of like cooking without preheating your oven. Time leading to heating up and lowering temperature isn't instantaneous, and while gas is immediately there, it can be very intense immediately, too (easier to have cold burnt things). So yeah, don't blame the utensil when the cook doesn't adjust.
>>
>>7145843
Ever try to sear in a thin pan on an electric cook top? Different results every fucking time. Timing goes all wonky, can't sear and count on a minute internal clock to wash a dish or chop some herbs. You have to watch that protein and check for release and then crust every 10 seconds. PITA
>>
>>7141881
>Get even more control than gas stove
>This is somehow bad for fine control
wtf
>>
>>7146255
Is heating the pan before you apply oil and meat really that hard?
If you need to sear it?
Or turning the knob?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.