[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't curry chicken more popular at Chinese restaurants?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: iPhoneUpload_mfv3xwwj2e.jpg (393 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
iPhoneUpload_mfv3xwwj2e.jpg
393 KB, 1600x1200
Why isn't curry chicken more popular at Chinese restaurants?

It's easily one of the best items on the menu.
>>
File: surprised barack obama.png (80 KB, 182x213) Image search: [Google]
surprised barack obama.png
80 KB, 182x213
>chinese food
>ever

>curry
>chinese

>copying an image from a thread I saw 5 posts ago
>>
>>7140124
idiot
>>
>>7140133

You're the idiot, for calling me an idiot.
>>
>>7140124
I agree it's tasty, it can really vary from restaurant to restaurant in quality
>>
>>7140124
>curry chicken
I'm guessing you refer to blue cheese as bleu as well?
>>
>>7140142

What rock do you live under? This is what a lot of Chinese places call it.
>>
>>7140142
That's what it's called brah
>>
>>7140142
idiot
>>
>>7140155
Maybe in your dystopian, third world, shithole of a nation.
>>
>>7140164
I accept your concession.
>>
>>7140130
>>curry
>>chinese
>>
I have always found Chinese curries to be second rate compared to Indian curries.
>>
>>7140130
>>7140301
Curry has been adopted by many East and especially Southeast Asian cuisines.

Go to an oriental supermarket in America and you will find curry powders from China or Vietnam.
>>
>>7140124
The Singapore mei fun is just so much better.
>>
>>7142057
Fuck. Yes. So good, and its cheap for the amount you get.
>>
>>7140124
that looks like shit. so yeah why isn't it on chinese food menus?
>>
>>7140151

Lemon chicken -- one of my favorite Chinese foods.
>>
Chinese curry isn't the best, really. And if I'm going to have something curried, I'd rather it be dry, as in a Singapore mei fun.
>>
>>7140124
Because it's a Thai dish. And I only get Thai from Thai restaurants. That's like getting tacos from a burger place.
>>
The times I've had curried chicken at Chinese restaurants, it seemed to me like they just used a curry powder.

Am I wrong on that?
>>
>>7145279
No. That's exactly what it is.
>>
>>7145279
...as opposed to what?

not trying to be a dick, i don't know a bunch about curry, trying to learn
>>
>>7145494

Curry powder is the shits. If you want to make something really pathetic, then go for curry powder.

For any decent curry, you buy individiual seeds of various spices and make your own.
>>
>>7145494
>not trying to be a dick, i don't know a bunch about curry, trying to learn
Let's see, curry powder, such as used for singapore noodles, is more indian...think no fresh ingredients, just dried spices.

A thai curry, is polar opposite, it features fresh ingredients, things that lose flavor when dried. So, you'll get the lemony essence of fresh ginger along with the heat and flavor. You'll get lemongrass's herbaly goodness as well as the unique lime floral essense. You will probably get keffir lime, that other greenish flavor that comes from the leaves of the tree and not quite captured in the sweetness of zest. And, you'll get coconut milk, not just yogurt or cream. And, the whole thing will be topped off by fresh onion, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, something like that. Don't even get me started on fresh vs dried chilies. They each have their place, but making a fresh curry is not something a chinese restaurant will do, because it's not really a part of their cuisine to do it that way. It's like how japanese curry is like sauce with a few clumps of meat. It's really a rice topping, a gravy. Silliness and kind of peasanty.

The other major problem a "fast food" restaurant like a chinese takeway will encounter, is that curry taints other foods pretty easily, and for a menu that is mostly about blandness, they'd have to wash that wok pretty thoroughly between orders, or heat up a second one. I couldn't tell you how popular or unpopular curry is for any individual restaurant however (how could anyone really?). It's just not a big part of their cuisine overall, and so might appear like just one item on the menu. It's a borrowed food, much as it is for japanese curry.
>>
>>7146408
Kiss Thai ass much?
>>
>>7146408

Very nice answer except for one thing.

Curry powder isn't Indian at all. It is a Western invention. I don't think that any real Indian chef would ever use curry powder for anything.

That is, of course, not to be confused with garam masala
>>
>>7146418
Pedantic. You heard what I meant, because the subject of curry powder came up, I used it as the description. Both are simply a personal chefs choice of ratio of various and relatively personal choices in spices as well. You won't find two garam masala recipes the same, and when people do use them in a recipe, you'll see some of the same spices in a typical blend also listed, so that ginger goes up, or more expensive cardamom is added in greater quantity.
>>
Seems like very few people here actually know what Chinese curry even is. So lemme school ya on it:

It's a stir-fry with curry sauce. That's, quite literally, it.

Stir-fry meat and aromatics in hot oil.
Then add stock that's been mixed with curry to just barely cover.
Then add peppers and onions and toss about.
Then remove some of the stock to a bowl and whisk in some starch until smooth to make a slurry.
Finally, add the slurry, stir it through the stock until it turns into a thick sauce and off the heat.
Adjust salt (and sugar, if desired) to taste. You may use plain salt or soya sauce, depending what you prefer.
That's it.
The recipe varies place to place, like how in some places, chilli sauce is added or in others it's ketchup. Some places do beef and mushroom curry the same way, others do fishcake and peas curry. The basic idea is always the same: hot oil, meat and aromatics, curried stock, veg, starch, season, serve.

Source: I grew up eating this shit. It's a quick meal many parents make for fussy kids.
>>
>>7140124
Why would I go to a Chinese restaurant and order Indian food? I go to a Chinese restaurant to eat Chinese food.
>>
>>7146418
Mulligatawny, the national indian soup, calls for common curry powder. Sure, it's not an indian invention but it is being used by indians.
>>
>>7146789
Because Chinese cury is a British invention introduced to china after the British developed a taste for it from their Indian land and tried to imitate it, just like the katsu curry with the Japs being British.

Its all inter-connected.
>>
>>7146813
What the fuck are you even talking about? You must be the biggest hipster faggot to ever walk into a Chinese restaurant.
>>
>>7140124
But you can get Chinese curry from every chinky. Where are you and why is yours so dry?
>>
>>7146806
>Mulligatawny is an English soup after an Indian recipe

Umm okay
>>
>>7146816
Doesn't change the fact that mulligatawny is being cooked and eaten in millions of indian households every day.
>>
>>7142033
That's because Chinese curry is used more as a sauce while an Indian curry is more of a meal if that makes sense.

You can't compare the two.
>>
>>7146814
And you are a shitposting moron. Fuck off.
>>
>>7146819
Millions of indians eat french toast too. That doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>7146789
Because you aren't. You dumb fuck.
>>
>>7146814
The concept isn't hard to grasp....
>>
>>7146826
The point is that indians do use curry powder.
>>
>>7146825
Wow anybody who doesn't want to be a complete hipster faggot and order diarrhea inducing obscure Indian food at a Chinese restaurant must be a shitposter then. I guess I'm not cool enough to get tacos from the olive garden either.
>>
>>7146789
>Why would I go to a Chinese restaurant and order Indian food? I go to a Chinese restaurant to eat Chinese food.
Because Chinese food is bland as hell, people are sometimes in the mood for flavors that are different and more intense.
>>
>>7140124
Anytime I got Curry from the chinamen(beef only) it's too light or not thick enough. Tastes aight doe.
>>
>>7146883
There's another restaurant down the street called Poojabs that you can buy Indian food at, or maybe even the Mexican place. Why the fuck do you have to create this alternate universe where you live and eat solely through the life of someone imprisoned in Chinese takeout? I don't understand if it's being a hipster, autism, agoraphobia, or a lack of imagination, but there is an entire world outside of the shitty Chinese restaurant you always eat at and whose staff probably think you are the biggest fucking loser.
>>
>>7146831
and white people use hamburger helper because its convenient, doesn't mean its fucking authentic
>>
>>7146867
You stupid fuck.
>>
>>7146896
>staff
>loser
They live in the fucking basement. I always tip $5 dollars. They wish they were me, because if they fuck up it's back to giving handy's at the massage parlor. Now fix my shitty plate, out of your shitter kitchen Fu Xian and stop with the back talk.
>>
>>7140124
>Why isn't curry chicken more popular at Chinese restaurants?

Probably because it has nothing whatsoever to do with Chinese food. I love curry, but if I want a curry dish I'm going to go Indian, Thai, or Malay, not Chinese.
>>
>>7146831
I'm Indian and have never even seen curry powder being sold at the grocers or the spice market. As for mulligatawny it's really not as common as you think. Pick any popular restaurant in India at random and check if they have it on their menu. It's only common in hotel menus and a few colonial hangover restaurants in Calcutta.
>>
>>7146914
Dumb fuck.
>>
>>7146908
>I get salad from the Mexican restaurant
>I get nachoes from the pizza place
>I get french fries at the Chinese restaurant
>I get sushi from the Chinese restaurant
>I get curry from the Chinese restaurant
>I get donuts from the Chinese restaurant

How is it possible people lack so much fucking self awareness?
>>
>>7146917
Post dot with timestamp or gtfo.
>>
>>7146925
This is some next level shitposting. I applaud your dedication.
>>
there is nothing

NO

THING

more depressing than watching /ck/ talk about curry. the massive, ambitious generalisation of what is clearly an exceptionally narrow range of experience literally hurts to watch.
>>
>>7146930
>I am an expert on the ancient art of curry
>shit in over 1000x
>more diarrhea than any western food
>>
I'm Chinese and we rarely eat "Chinese" curry which is just a Cantonese hack version they got from random Southeast Asians. Cantonese people are disgusting and it shows.
>>
>>7146867
You have genuine autism, dear lord.
>>
>>7146917
Seconded. When my mom cooks curry whatever, she uses the individual spices, not some curry mix.

Curry powder is usually a mix of salt, turmeric, coriander, chilli, fennel, cumin, mace, cinammon, cardomom. You can make a simple chicken curry pretty easily using just salt, turmeric, coriander, and chilli.
>>
>>7147354
>Curry powder is usually a mix of salt [and other stuff]

Not a single curry powder I've ever purchased has ever had salt in it. Not. A. One.
I am not Indian. I don't even know any Indians very well. But my cousin is married to a half Burgher, half Sinhalese Sri Lankan. She uses whole spices, but also "black curry powder."
>>
>>7147428

>Not a single curry powder I've ever purchased has ever had salt in it. Not. A. One.

you are factually incorrect.
>>
>>7147504
>he knows what curry powders other people buy
Fucking currystalker. Stay the fuck out of my spice cabinet.
>>
>>7147561

i've you've bought enough curry powders to say something like 'not a single curry powder i've bought' you have almost certainly bought a curry powder with salt in it. considering almost all of them have salt in them.
>>
>>7147599
>considering almost all of them have salt in them.

I've had the opposite experience. I've never once in my life seen salt as in ingredient in curry powder.
>>
>>7147613

then you probably haven't looked at the fucking ingredients.

i'll do it for you. what curry powders do you buy?
>>
File: photo 2.jpg (250 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
photo 2.jpg
250 KB, 1200x1600
>>7147616
I have. Why do you think there's salt in there when there really isn't?

My current brand:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/maharajah-style-curry-powder#content

....note there is no salt in the ingredients list.

In the past I've used S&B. Pic of can attached. Note the lack of salt.
>>
>>7147641

Here's the link to the info for McCormick, which is the generic cheap spice you find in most US supermarkets. No salt in there:

http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Herbs-and-Spices/Spices/Curry-Powder
>>
>>7147641

so that's two. is that what you meant by 'not a single one you've ever purchased'? your sample size was two?
>>
File: currypowder.jpg (102 KB, 344x852) Image search: [Google]
currypowder.jpg
102 KB, 344x852
>>7147657
Hang in there skippy, there's a couple more.

I've got a half-full jar of this in the back of the pantry:
http://uedata.amazon.com/Zesty-Food-Distributor-Indian-Curry/dp/B0041B62F6

...not very good quality IMHO, but it's cheap. And it contains no salt.

And finally, I was given a jar of Simply Organic brand by a friend. It's also common in the supermarkets around my area. Pic from their website attached, also no salt in there.
>>
>>7147657

So there's the five brands I can recall having used listed. No salt in any of them.

I have also used some I bought in bulk from an Indian market but I have no recollection of what the brand was so I can't look that up for you. But there wasn't any salt in that one either. The whole idea of salt in curry powder is just plain weird.

What brand(s) are you using that do contain salt?
>>
>>7147599
I know they don't because I always read the ingredients list and avoid curry powders that say "spices" without saying what spices they are. I also tend to avoid ones that have cinnamon.

Find me one that does.

>>7147657
That guy is not me (>>7147561/>>7147428).

>>7147688
None, because he's not Indian, he doesn't cook, and he's making shit up to feel relevant. It's sad, really.
>>
>>7147504

Maybe he steals his curry powders from the grocery store.
>>
ive never been to a chinese restaurant

what should i try
>>
>>7147793
Chaa siu chao ho fen.
>>
>>7147793
>ive never been to a chinese restaurant
>what should i try
Gonna have to recommend the stuff that is labor intensive, such as shu mai (stuffed dumplings, steamed and then served or additionally pan fried. I'd also recommend pork buns if they have them, a steamed bread filled with twice cooked char siu (BBQ pork). Any soup, esp if it states "special" like they pulled out all the veggies, expensive mushrooms and premium shrimp into it.

What I like varies with my mood after that. A really good one might have amazing honey chicken or egg foo young, or really bad versions. Gotta look at the house specials, maybe. If in doubt, go to a thai restuarant, or vietnamese instead.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.