[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do these things make good coffee?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: moka-v-french-press.jpg (95 KB, 940x450) Image search: [Google]
moka-v-french-press.jpg
95 KB, 940x450
Do these things make good coffee?
>>
Yes, although it's easy to burn the coffee grounds.
>>
Personally I dont enjoy the coffee that I have had from these. Although Im never sure how its supposed to be making a long coffee, if im supposed to make a short coffee and add water. I dont know. Either way, my £40 espresso machine makes much nicer coffee in my opinion
>>
It always tasted burnt to me so I never liked it
>>
>>7138150
Yes you have to start out with hot water in the bottom lest the grounds get too hot. Also cool down the unit under cold water to stop the brewing right before the end. It's a bit fussy.
>>
Yes, though you have to keep the heat low and be patient.

If you rush it the results are pretty mediocre.
>>
File: 2015-12-04 18.19.33.jpg (78 KB, 941x530) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-04 18.19.33.jpg
78 KB, 941x530
My wife used one for a while, but the stainless steel ones are better. I bought her pick related and she makes a god tier latte with it.
>>
Compared to a proper espresso, they can't compete.

If, however, you like strong dark coffee bordering on the burnt tasting side, then they do fine.
>>
they are nice and cheap. Single serving isnt worth the effort. id rather have 5 cups in a single pot.

also chefsteps just put out a vid on these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI
>>
>>7138117

They're not all that bad, especially if you're camping.
>>
File: this_disturbing_pink.png (5 KB, 728x430) Image search: [Google]
this_disturbing_pink.png
5 KB, 728x430
>>7138157
this
>>
For a single serving the Aeropress is great.
>>
>>7138234
lol mokas do make a proper espresso.
>>
>>7138148
>£40 machine
>espresso

heh

nothing personnel............... kid
>>
>>7140460
You're just pretending to be retarded, right?
>>
>>7140460

Only a proper espresso machine can make a proper espresso.

It's all about the pressure.
>>
File: 1449201315056.jpg (51 KB, 615x630) Image search: [Google]
1449201315056.jpg
51 KB, 615x630
>>7140469
you forgot something, faggot
>>
>>7138150
>>7138157
On top of that, if you grind the coffee yourself, make it finer than for a french press but coarser than for espresso.
>>
>>7140480
You read that somewhere and now you're parroting it.
>>
File: Espresso.jpg (33 KB, 164x223) Image search: [Google]
Espresso.jpg
33 KB, 164x223
>>7140573

Without a proper machine to create pressure, you get no crema, and drinking espresso without crema is like drinking flat beer.

Pic related: actual espresso
>>
>>7138210
what is this ?
>>
>>7140720
looks like a Vev-vigano Vespress Oro
>>
>>7138117
yes......but dont get a single serving
they take a bit of tuning and perseverance to get the coffee you want......but trust me you can get a great coffee
>>
>>7140720
Bialetti Kitty Oro 1 Cup
>>
File: Brikka.jpg (126 KB, 1114x1500) Image search: [Google]
Brikka.jpg
126 KB, 1114x1500
>>7140573
>>7140595
I own a Bialetti Brikka and its valve is supposed to create enough pressure for crema. It's not even close to proper espresso but it's at least a bit of crema. Still not sure if it was worth the money.

But yes, it's never proper espresso. That's mostly because the coffee is exposed to heat for longer than with an espresso machine/maker. That is also why you shouldn't grind the beans as fine as for espresso.
>>
>>7138157
THIS

when i see the coffee dripping out going light and bubbly i stop the brewing process with cold water.
>>
What's the best method for making coffee and why is it the French press?
>>
>>7140909
>Bialetti Brikka

This end result in this video looks like the dude is actually getting a legit crema with his...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2bx-5HOuDQ
>>
File: NouvCuis.jpg (31 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
NouvCuis.jpg
31 KB, 300x400
>>7141029
because it isn't. french press is shit.
why are you stuck in a time warp?
do you also think eating blue corn tortilla chips makes you hip and fashoinable?
>>
>>7138117
They can. If you don't know what you're doing you'll probably fuck it up the first few times though.
>>
>>7140469
>personnel

heh

Nothing personal......retard
>>
>>7141356
I hope to god you're not this new
>>
File: mokapotsm.gif (2 MB, 162x216) Image search: [Google]
mokapotsm.gif
2 MB, 162x216
>>7141029
Apples and oranges.

French press is for immersion extraction.

Moka, brikka, and espresso machines use pressure.
>>
>>7141425
Yea, one whole bar. If that.
>>
No OP, they do not make good coffee because it is solid metal and you cannot drink solid metals. It would be awful coffee if it was melted as well, because it would burn out your insides and then cool making you semi immobile if you were still alive after.
>>
>>7140525
So, standard drip grind?
>>
ChefSteps made a pretty decent video on this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI
>>
>>7141425
A stovetop/steam powered machine hardly uses pressure.
>>
>>7138243
>cheap
Hah! They're $35 here. Cheap drip or French press can be had for $10.

That said, I bought one anyway after seeing the ChefSteps video. Coffee came out really concentrated but not overly bitter. Taste was decent/okay. Can't say it gave me a life changing epiphany though.
>>
>>7138117
They make good coffee but they are made out of aluminum so, enjoy your neurotoxins
>>
>>7141610
>neurotoxins
I read these are as common in Europe as drip machines are as common in America.
No wonder them Europoors are so delusional.
>>
>>7141356

Uh oh someone needs to take meme 101 again
>>
>>7138117
Honestly, all coffee tastes the same. Some is thicker and some is thinner depending on how you make it but they really don't taste much different. DMSO and caffeine is more effective if that's what you're after.
>>
>>7141319
Guess I need to tweak a bit more then. Thanks for the link!
>>
>>7141329
Cool pic. Her hair, posture, and expression just exude pomp and arrogance. Is there one without 10,000 hours in ms paint?
>>
>>7142185
Keep me posted.

Serious, anon.

I was impressed with the youtube vids, and if they're legit, I might buy one for taking on the road.

Tweak that nigger and report your findings.
>>
>>7138117

Yes
>>
>>7138117

That's the coffee machine that 90% of italian families have and use every day to make coffee at home. The coffee is indeed a bit different from an espresso you can have in a bar, longer and with little crema, but still it represent a tradition and it tastes like the good ol' days, at least for me...

No special tricks to have a good coffee with this, just fill with cold water, be patient and let it finish when starts to make noise.
Oh, and NEVER use dishwashing soap to clean it, just hot water after every use.
>>
>>7140595
>>7140480
>>7138234

Yeah, Cubans are full of shit and cortaditos are fucking awful
>>
>>7143346
>No special tricks to have a good coffee with this...

I don't agree with that.

These things can make some pretty shitty undrinkable sludge, just as easily as they can make a decent strong brew.

I agree with all those other users that do the following:

1. Fill the coffee basket to the rim without tamping it, and use a grind just a little bit coarser than an espresso grind. Tweak it by trying coarser and finer grinds until you get the consistent results you like best.
2. Fill it with hot water that's been boiled in a different container to minimize the time the grains are under direct heat. Always fill it to a line just below the pressure valve.
3. Use medium to medium high heat to reduce the chance of heating the entire moka pot and burning the shit out of your grains.
4. Watch that fucker like a hawk, and once she starts putting out coffee, turn down the heat, or even take it off the heat.
5. Pour into heated cups IMMEDIATELY after you pull it off the heat, and BEFORE it is done spewing steam and shit.

The bottom line is that a moka pot will give you a great tasting, strong ass coffee that's stronger than a filter / french press brew, but isn't as thick and oily as a proper espresso. They're great for taking on the road.
>>
I want one to make Tiramisu. I don't drink coffee when I am not outside with friends so I imagine it's not worth getting one just for that.
>>
>>7143640
>no tamping
why?
>>
>>7144711
Slows down the extraction and leads to bitterness, anon.
>>
>>7144711
Because they don't produce enough pressure to push water through a packed cake of grounds like a real espresso machine
>>
Aren't french presses kind of pointless considering you can basically do the same thing with a pot on your stove? I guess they're just for convenience?
>>
>>7144931
>you can basically do the same thing with a pot on your stove
Let us know how that goes
>>
>>7144931
You could do it with a dish in a microwave, as long as you have some way to strain the grounds out.

French presses are just nice looking and, yes, convenient.
>>
>>7144939
All you're doing is steeping coffee in hot water in a french press. As if you can't steep coffee in in a pot.

and not all french presses are glass
>>
>>7144957
>as long as you have some way to strain the grounds out.
Don't the grounds sink the bottom anyway after a little bit of time? I seem to remember this from something...
>>
>>7144959
I'm talking more about filtering it. Sounds like a giant mess waiting to happen
>>7144972
You're begging for over-extraction
>>
>>7144982
>>7144972
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee
No filtering, just don't drink the dregs.

>>7144982
>Sounds like a giant mess waiting to happen
Use a drip filter and filter-holder. I used to do that when I only had one pot to make both hot water and coffee.
>>
>>7144982
>Sounds like a giant mess waiting to happen
What about steeping it like tea in a bag? But then again, you wouldn't have the advantage of it being spread about. I imagine there's some type of strainer you could use that'd work fine as long as you had something to filter it in to. I just find most french presses to be too expensive.
>>
>>7145030
And then the filter was invented, so we didn't have to drink coffee with grounds in it like savages.

What is a filter-holder anyway?
>>
>>7138117
no
>>
>>7145032
$10-30 is too expensive? You shouldn't even be buying coffee

>>7145030
>No filtering, just don't drink the dregs.
See: Over-extraction
>>
>>7145091
Of course there are 10 dollar ones, but you know those are pieces of shit. I'm talking about ones built to last.
>>
>>7145153
The most popular two on Amazon are $30.
>>
Just use an aeropress.
It's literally the best brewer to use if you're making one cup of coffee, if not only because it's so fucking easy to clean, seriously takes me 10 seconds from finished brewing to perfectly clean brewer.
>>
>>7145168
who makes one cup of coffee at a time

who drinks less than two cups in the morning
>>
>>7145263
amateurs
>>
File: 1423180947240.jpg (60 KB, 535x477) Image search: [Google]
1423180947240.jpg
60 KB, 535x477
>>7145263
I like to have one really good 12oz mug before work
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.