[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whole grain bread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: bread.jpg (248 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
248 KB, 700x466
Hey /ck/. Got any fool proof recipe to make some whole grain bread? I tried a couple and my bread ended falling appart when I tried to cut it. Pls share your knowledge
>>
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

do this but double the salt and make 33% or 66% of the flour whole grain.
>>
Baking is organic chemistry.

You have to weigh everything to the gram or it will be different each time you bake something.
>>
>>7136939
>http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
Thanks, will give it a go

>>7136941
I do. It's either that I've followed recipes that are not well thought or my oven is failling.
>>
>>7137162

Baking is horribly fickle.

Flour will actually take water in from the humidity of the Air and change its weight.

A baker has to develop a feel to over come these slight changes.

Merely the temp of your kitchen and the conditions of rain or dryness can change the outcome, A skilled baker takes all that into account.
>>
>>7137168
>Flour will actually take water in from the humidity of the Air and change its weight.
Even after months in a breathable bag in a room with 100% humidity the amount of water flour absorbs is not enough to alter the outcome of a recipe at the scale people bake at home.
>>
>>7137168
>even the coriolis effect needs to be taken into account
>>
>>7136882
cooks illustrated has a great one, but it's fairly complicated.
>>
>>7137168
This desu OP. The alignment of the planets wasn't exactly right, so your bread came out shit.
>>
I'm assuming you mean bread with only whole wheat flour? That's just silly. Do half whole wheat half white and it will turn out fine.

But If I was going to do 100% whole wheat, I'd let it ferment with a starter at 100% hydration overnight, then add some flour to get it down to a proper hydration, and then knead it in the bread-machine, then let it rise in the bread pan for several hours brushed with oil and covered in plastic wrap.
>>
>>7137322
>I'm assuming you mean bread with only whole wheat flour? That's just silly.

How come?
>>
>>7136882
Whole grain bread is pretty damn vague, OP. If it rose okay, it probably isn't that it was too dry, so I'd consider either adding vital gluten to the recipe to give it a stronger structure, and/or replacing a bit of one of the other flours with bread flour for the same reason.
>>
>>7137349
It's unnecessary, borderline masochistic. Half and half will make a better loaf every time. It will be chewier and just better, and still have plenty of fiber and nutrients from the whole wheat flour.
>>
King Arthur recipe is foolproof. also look into white whole wheat flour that shit is amazing
>>
>>7137278
>not rotating your dough to compensate for the coriolis effect
>not aligning your dough with magnetic north
>ignoring air pressure and gravity level
>using a store bought air horn
>ever baking at different times of day
>>
File: IMG_0183.jpg (151 KB, 1125x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0183.jpg
151 KB, 1125x1500
>>7136882
I got a recipe for a hearty whole wheat quick bread. But I'll warn you, this shit eats like a meal. Pic is a bit blurry, but I think you can make it out.
>>
>>7138065
Fucking amateurs...
>>
>>7137453
Maybe you are right, thanks for the advice anyway

>>7138035
Thanks, a lot of recipes in their website.

>>7138109
Thanks for taking the time anon, really appreciate it
>>
File: Whole Grain Mix - 2.jpg (2 MB, 3113x2448) Image search: [Google]
Whole Grain Mix - 2.jpg
2 MB, 3113x2448
I dig whole grain breads. There's a local flour mill not far away that stocks a pretty wide variety, and I enjoy mixing and matching when I bake.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.