[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there really any discernible difference in taste or texture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Is there really any discernible difference in taste or texture in the main canned tuna brands?

I haven't been able to tell, probably because I always slather it in mayo and sriracha.
>>
As long as you get chunk albacore in water it's pretty much all the same.

>still waiting on my $50 tuna voucher
>>
>>7136044

I entered myself in that class action lawsuit, too. Any idea on when it's supposed to be paid out?
>>
>>7136031
Haven't tried the wild planet tuna, but the salmon is good. I had a can of the "american tuna" because curiosity. It was priced 3x more per ounce than others. I'm not sure I can say it was 3x as good, but it definitely had a better texture and more flavor, with more of the natural oils. Maybe if I had more yuppie tendencies it'd be worth buying again.
>>
>>7136031
No. But there is a massive difference between canned and pouched tuna.
>>
>>7136078

How so? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>7136092
The canning process requires more heat than the pouching process, try it for yourself.
>>
walmart's store brand tastes different from starkist

they even have different chunk sizes
>>
>>7136093

As I don't have tuna canning or pouching processes available to me, maybe you could explain the differences?
>>
>>7136103
https://youtu.be/luGivpgSEEQ?t=325

Pasteurization requires heat to kill bacteria and pressure to create a seal. The tuna ends up overcooked.

Pouches are usually a lot thinner than cans, so the pasteurization process is much quicker, so the tuna cooks less.
>>
File: sirena-1532.jpg (33 KB, 524x283) Image search: [Google]
sirena-1532.jpg
33 KB, 524x283
I think there's massive differences in taste, texture and general quality across the board. Best tuna coming through, also a brand that gets a lot of shit for not saying exactly which species they tin. Maybe a coincidence, or maybe the over-fished tuna are the tastiest.
>>
>>7136031
I think they main brands have all gone to shit in recent years.

Apparently that's because of cost and a depleted tuna supply but what's labeled now as solid albacore is what used to be chunk and the current chunk is barely fit for feral cats.
>>
>>7136044
>>7136048
Please explain about the voucher anons
>>
Don't eat canned meats, they are universally very high in amines, canned tuna being one of the worst offenders. Ugh. So gross.
>>
>>7136253
I need my animes though senpai
>>
>>7136237

I hadn't heard of this either so I did a quick web search. It turns out that those of us who haven't filed a claim already get nothing. The deadline has already passed.
>>
>>7136253
>Ugh.
Post disregarded.
There is a pretty big difference between the two main brands of tuna in Aus. The cheaper one is less solid and you can easily spread it on bread or eat it with a spoon/fork without having to break it apart.
The more expensive kind is significantly more solid and you have to break it apart to use it for anything really.
They both have different uses and I actually prefer the cheaper one most of the time. The chilli flavour is GOAT and comes with a baby red chilli in every can.
>>
>>7136237

>Hendricks v. StarKist Co.

>If you purchased one or more of the StarKist Products from February 19, 2009 through October 31, 2014, this website informs you of a proposed Class-Action Settlement that you may benefit from.

>The Lawsuit claims that StarKist Co. ("StarKist") under-filled certain 5 oz. canned tuna products in violation of state and federal law. StarKist denies that it underfilled its products and denies that it did anything wrong. The Court did not rule in favor of Plaintiff or StarKist. Instead, the parties agreed to a Proposed Settlement to avoid the expense and risks of continuing the lawsuit.

>You can request a $25 check or $50 in free tuna vouchers as part of a Class-Action Settlement
>>
This is the only canned tuna I buy anymore. Not only is it sustainably caught, but it's really great tuna, whole fillet chunks in the can, that you can either break up, or use as large chunks (which is great on top of salad or as part of another dish), tastes delicious as well. Yeah, it costs more than the tunas in OPs pic, but not that much more. And sometimes you can find great deals on it. My local Grocery Outlet had it for $1.99 a can, and I stocked the fuck up. When they run out, I can get it at Sprouts, which is the same place I get my white pacific anchovies anyway.
>>
File: Sustainable-Seas-YellowfinTuna.jpg (96 KB, 1000x573) Image search: [Google]
Sustainable-Seas-YellowfinTuna.jpg
96 KB, 1000x573
>>7137805
Goddamn, forgot pic.
>>
>>7136031
I buy all my canned tuna from Italians now. Genova brand - frickin delicious. It's in olive oil, so you can skip the mayo, and just add the other stuff (minced celery, salt and pepper, little lime juice, mustard, or pickle relish if you're into that)
>>
>>7137805
>$2 a can
Fuckin Rockefeller over here.
>>
"light" tuna is usually skipjack, which isn't a real tuna, and it's often kind of mushy and the taste is kind of weird.

the biggest difference in brands you'll find in a supermarket are oil vs water packed. oil packed tuna usually tastes better.

and how chunky vs shredded it is. some of it is basically cat food.
>>
File: goattuna.jpg (10 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
goattuna.jpg
10 KB, 236x236
best tuna comin through
>>
There's a lot of things you can buy non branded but nevertheless good quality if you look around. Canned tuna is not one of these, the cheap ones are rather nasty.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.