[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made some udon the other day and tried to make the broth with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Sanuki_udon_by_open-arms.jpg (1 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
Sanuki_udon_by_open-arms.jpg
1 MB, 3872x2592
I made some udon the other day and tried to make the broth with the konbu kelp but it just tasted like very lightly flavored water. I even put bonito flakes in it. How do I make it taste like the restaurants?
>>
>>7135052
Dashi:
4x6 inch piece of kombu
4 cups water
1/2 cup bonito flakes

Wipe kombu with wet towel/paper towel to remove any grit (but leave white powder, that's the good stuff.)

Soak kombu in water overnight at room temp

Discard kombu, bring water to boil

Remove from heat, add bonito flakes, wait until they sink to the bottom 15-20 min

Strain
>>
Put 5x as much faggot
>>
>>7135052
time to kick it up a notch BAM
>>
>>7135052
Just add a Knorr Chicken Stock Pot. It's so easy and tasty!
>>
File: 4_6a.jpg (58 KB, 150x272) Image search: [Google]
4_6a.jpg
58 KB, 150x272
>>7136515
MSG or you use Ajinomoto bonito powder or a liquid based stock. the amount of money you spent on getting kombu and Bonito flake you could of gotten a bottle of this stuff and it lasts a year.
>>
>>7136519
You can make a lot more stock than that if you buy a reasonable amount of bonito flakes and kombu though.
>>
>>7135052
1 konbu(glutamate) = 1 umami
1 bonito flakes(inosinate) = 1 umami
1 konbu(glutamate) + 1 bonito flakes(inosinate) = 7 umami
>>
>1 konbu(glutamate) + 1 bonito flakes(inosinate) = 7 umami

the secret of japanese cuisine
>>
>>7135052
Japanese food is so bland.
>>
>>7136530
also most places unless they are high end or upper middle end use soup stock bases like that. Even the most shitty Kombu is 2.99 and the bottom barrel cat treat Bonito is 2.49. that bottle isn't more than 5.99 on sale.
>>
>>7136678
this too. Most north americans have issues tasting Dashi stock. So most of the time like 9/10 they use shit with MSG or go a little overboard with ingredients that add more flavor.
>>
So did you ever come back, OP?
>>
>>7137344
I did about 10 minutes ago. I think the problem was I only let the kelp sit for 20 minutes before boiling rather than overnight.
>>
>>7137350
Glad to help them, I was worried I typed the recipe up for nothing.

Funny how that also triggered all the usual shit advice, even though no one responded at all until it was almost dead before that.

You can speed up the soak time with warmer water if you have to, but 20 minutes is always going to taste like lightly flavored water. And best results really are from the long slow soak.
>>
>>7137355
Alrights, thanks a bunch.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.