[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gonna cook up some pork shoulder steaks in the oven. Gonna shake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: CMA-Shoulder-Pork-Steaks-85203.jpg (87 KB, 288x210) Image search: [Google]
CMA-Shoulder-Pork-Steaks-85203.jpg
87 KB, 288x210
Gonna cook up some pork shoulder steaks in the oven. Gonna shake and bake em with some spices. Anyone recommend a cooking time?
>>
>>7132947
until theyre done

its entirely subjective, i dont know how thick your steaks are, what temp you're cooking at or how good your oven is
>>
>>7133023
Well I'm going for 20 at 425. They're about half an inch and the oven is alright I guess.
>>
>>7133039
you might as well just sautee them in some oil/butter at that thickness, pork tends to dry out like shit if you get it wrong and cook it too much

if you have a meat thermometer you wanna shoot for 160f/70c internal temp for medium, if not just go by feeling, nobody dies from eating undercooked pork anyway
>>
>>7133057
Well I figure 20 at that temp will at least kill off any of the bacteria, and I don't have a thermometer unfortunately.
>>
>>7133062
yeah it probably will, but so will searing them at a decent heat for 5 mins either side. being germophobic with cooking is nothing but a hinderance.

if you want to test the difference you could do one in the oven and one in the pan, but 20 mins at 425 will leave you with literal cardboard
>>
>>7133069
Yeah, unfortunately when I got them today I wasn't really paying attention. I thought I grabbed chops instead of these steaks so now I have two of these to cook off instead of just a few chops.
>>
>>7133073
they should be fine, just let them sit with your rub/marinade/whatever spices you plan on using for about 30 mins and then pan fry them

will probably be just as good as regular pork chops if you don't fuck it up and overcook them
>>
>>7133077
>Don't fuck it up
>pressure intensifies
>>
>>7133086
its all about confidence anon, i believe in you
>>
You guys... it's shoulder.
It needs to be braised, for a while.
You're looking at a disappointing meal if you treat it like a lean loin cut.
Are you guys for real?
>>
>>7133096
theyre far too thin to braise, they will be perfectly fine pan fried
>>
>>7133098
But it's shoulder. Pork cushion. Picnic.
You simply put a quarter inch of liquid in the pan and cover it after searing.
>theyre far too thin to braise
That doesn't make sense.
They ... y'know what?
Enjoy your "steaks".
>>
>>7133123
He wasn't OP, I am. I did enjoy them, they were pretty good.
>>
>>7132947
If they're relatively thin, I can cook them entirely in the pan. For thicker pieces, finish them off by putting foil over the pan they were cooked in and popping in a warm oven for no more than 10 minutes. I normally like pork cooked medium.

My normal routine for pork steaks is similar to steak. Leave at room temp for 1-2 hours then coat in oil, season then sear at a fairly high temp for 3 minutes on each side. Baste in butter for the last minute. Rest for 10 minutes on a warm plate.
>>
>>7133096
I've always had good experiences in pan frying pork shoulder.
>>
Pretty sure pork shoulder is a low and slow type of cut...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.