[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-amerifag here How do I make biscuits and gravy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: gravy-biscuit.jpg (118 KB, 1024x444) Image search: [Google]
gravy-biscuit.jpg
118 KB, 1024x444
Non-amerifag here

How do I make biscuits and gravy?
>>
>>7132167
Don't.
>>
>>7132167
make biscuits, make gravy, put gravy over biscuits with a fried egg on the side (or inside)
>>
>>7132167

-fry sausage
-drain fat
-add butter
-salt/pepper to taste
-make roux
-add milk mixed with cream
-whisk throughly
-stir sauce until thickened

I put cayenne pepper in my gravy, I like spicy food.

Google a good biscuit recipe, icba to find one for you.
>>
File: biscuit roller.jpg (31 KB, 800x216) Image search: [Google]
biscuit roller.jpg
31 KB, 800x216
>>7132179
Kind of?

>>7132167
Depends where you are. Americans use something called 'breakfast sausage' to make theirs. It's somewhat similar to Lincolnshire sausage, if you're in a country that sells that. Otherwise, you're gonna have to look up a recipe for American breakfast sausage first.
Then:

Breakfast sausage, raw, 100g
Flour, 1 tbsp
Grease, if needed
Pepper, as desired
Milk, half cup
Salt, to taste.

If using sausage in a case, remove from the case first.
Crumble cook the sausage until done, then add flour and pepper and stir to combine with the pan fat, adding a little grease, if needed to mix the flour into a paste.
Whisk in milk to dissolve flour paste, thicken and heat through.
Salt to taste.

For biscuits:

Soft flour, 150g
Yeast, instant, 4g
Salt, 4g
Butter or grease, ice cold, 60g
Water, ice cold, as needed

Set the oven to its hottest setting; meanwhile whisk together flour, yeast and salt.
Cut butter/grease into the flour mixture until crumbly and about the consistency of wet sand.
Add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
Roll the dough out flat and cut, either with a biscuit cutter into circles or by hand into squares (sounds weird, but believe me, unless you have a biscuit roller, pic related, square biscuits are better than round because you won't have to re-mix, re-knead and re-roll the leftover parts of the dough, only to yield a tougher second batch).
Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place into the hot oven, adjusting the temperature to 190°C/375°F.
Bake until they're done. Depending on the size of the oven and your biscuits, that could be anywhere from 12-20 minutes or so.

Variation: for buttermilk biscuits, use butter only (not grease), swap buttermilk in for water, add a pinch of sugar, omit the yeast and swap out the soft flour for self-raising/self-rising flour. Alternately, do all the swaps as above except for the flour; use the typical soft flour. Add 1tsp baking powder, though.
>>
>>7132326
No one puts yeast in biscuits, you should be using baking powder and maybe a little bit of baking soda for leavening.

Yeast is for rolls and bread, not biscuits.
>>
>>7132179
>-drain fat
>-add butter
why would you not utilize the delicious sausage fat for the roux? are you a communist?
>>
>>7132335
Read the whole thing, Anon.
>>7132326 covers that.

And to add to the thread, White Lily is the brand most southerners prefer for biscuits. It's a soft flour and is used for cake and biscuit baking. If you're using volumetric recipes, you can use all-purpose flour in place of WL, just take out 1-2 tbsp of the flour out per cup used.
>>
>>7132342

You got me, Muslim as well.
>>
>>7132335
yeast is for stupid sluts
>>
>>7132352
Condolences.
>>
>>7132326
>It's somewhat similar to Lincolnshire sausage, if you're in a country that sells that. Otherwise, you're gonna have to look up a recipe for American breakfast sausage first.

Protip: It's just ground pork with a bunch of sage.
>>
>>7132347
Except yeast would give you a different texture. Biscuits are not meant to be yeast-raised. They're a quick bread and that's why they traditionally use chemical leavening.
>>
>>7132179
>drain fat

get the fuck out you god damned yankee
>>
File: 7sUqWmw.jpg (165 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
7sUqWmw.jpg
165 KB, 1024x768
>>7133007

>yfw this is a French food and I live in Ireland
>>
File: would so hard.jpg (1 MB, 2180x1629) Image search: [Google]
would so hard.jpg
1 MB, 2180x1629
>>7133009
real biscuits and gravy come from the hairy asscrack of the blue ridge mountains in west fucking virginia made by an obese old woman with diabetes struggling to get by on food stamps, not some fucking gay ass frenchman.

pic fucking related, it's a west virginia biscuit.
>>
>>7133026

>Béchamel sauce with "out of casing" sausages comes from America

What ever you have to say to rationalize your undeserved superiority complex.
>>
File: IS THIS FUCKING BETTER.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IS THIS FUCKING BETTER.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>7133033
freedom aint free gots to be flavored with the fat of 1000 pigs adam and Gravy not adam and bechamel
>>
>>7133049

Pigs were brought to the Americas by European settlers. I don't understand your attachment to fast food either, you're confusing.
>>
>>7133053
Americans were also brought to America by Europeans

Who became american :^) Just like apple pie.

[spoiler]I'm running out of biscuits anon I can't keep this up[/spoiler]
>>
File: saad maan.png (599 KB, 595x400) Image search: [Google]
saad maan.png
599 KB, 595x400
>>7133064
and I ALWAYS FORGET /ck/ DOESN'T SPOILER
>>
>>7132839
No. Lincolnshire sausage is just pork and sage.

American breakfast sausage is pork and sage and pepper and molasses and sugar and thyme (or marjoram) and a wee bit of powdered clove.

>>7132335
>>7132916
>he's never heard of angel biscuits
Do you even KNOW any southerners?

>>7133053
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.