[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does this taste like soap to u?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: cilantro1.jpg (50 KB, 1044x783) Image search: [Google]
cilantro1.jpg
50 KB, 1044x783
does this taste like soap to u?
>>
Yes. I can't stand the stuff. Apparently some people are genetically predisposed to not liking cilantro.
>>
>>7129126
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/cilantro-aversion-gene-study_n_1901124.html
>>
>>7129126
You think its bad going down? Imagine getting food poisoning and then having to puke a bunch of it back up
>>
>>7129134
That sounds brutal, mang. Id rather puke up deep fried bacon wrapped IPA sriracha tilapia sushi rolls
>>
>>7129117
Yes
>inb4 le inferior genes XD
>>
>>7129156
i heard it was also associated with gay gene
>>
>>7129129
>nearly half of all Europeans have two copies of this variant, and of those people, 15 percent reported a soapy taste. In contrast, 13 percent of Europeans had no copies, and 11.5 percent of this group said cilantro tasted like soap.
>15% vs 11.5%
wowit'snothing.jpg

You can get used to it and acquire the taste, once you're expecting it you look past it to the other flavours. I used to hate it, but I could eat a whole salad of the stuff now.

Vietnamese coriander still tastes incredibly soapy to me though.
>>
>>7129117
Yes but I still eat it with tacos. Onions/cilantro/hot sauce/meat
>>
>>7129161
I'm gay and this doesn't taste like soap. Have I been Living a Lie?
>>
Yeah but it tastes good
>>
>>7129117
No, I'm not a mutant, it tastes like cilantro to me.
>>
>>7129282
Yes, and you're going straight to hell!
>>
>>7129117

No.

I enjoy the taste of coriander.
>>
>>7129304
In the USA coriander is the seeds or pods that are crushed up and added to stuff, cilantro are the leaves.
>>
>>7129311

It's the same plant & you're using a Native American (Mexican) word for coriander.

It's the same exact thing.
>>
>>7129318
The leaves and the pods aren't the same thing and they're used differently.
>>
>>7129318
And they're not native, they came over from a ice or land bridge from siberia or mongolia or whatever, they're not fuckin' native. They love that term to get free shit from the government.
>>
>>7129318
Are you one of those whackjobs that think that chile peppers are native to india?
>>
>>7129327

Oh that argument again that's cute.

>muh everyone is afrikkan comment

It's a Native word, for the plant and it's seeds.
>>
>>7129320

How so? Most ground coriander is the dried plant in its entirety, mixed with random filler. The way pepper shakers contain pepper flavored flecks of paper, or that artificial vanilla is made from lumber.
>>
>>7129333
No, it's not.
>>
>>7129343

Yes, it is.
>>
>>7129338
Riiight, but the leaves of the plant, cilantro are used differently in cooking than the coriander pods. Technically they're the same plant, but different parts of the plant, are you daft?
>>
>>7129348
IMexicans aren't native and therefore their language isn't native and you're being a daft moron.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-01-19-05-31-1.png (693 KB, 1080x1781) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-01-19-05-31-1.png
693 KB, 1080x1781
>>7129350

How so, it's the same plant...and the word cilantro (Native Mexico=culantro) and coriander refer to the plant in its entirety.
>>
>>7129355

>NO ONE IS NATIVE TO ANYWHERE!!!

/pol/...ANTIFA...please go.
>>
>>7129327
>they came over from a ice or land bridge from siberia or mongolia or whatever, they're not fuckin' native

Seriously? Your contention is that there's no such thing as "native" unless your entire family line has stayed in sub saharan Africa for the last hundred thousand years? Amazing.
>>
>>7129359
riiight, but in real life you have to use terminology correctly. So as I wrote originally, in the USA cilantro refers to the leaves, and coriander to the pods.

What's your major malfunction?
>>
>>7129362
What does accuracy have to do with /pol?
>>
>>7129366

There is no malfunction, it's the same seasoning, even the taste is the same.
>>
>>7129369
See
>>7129364

ANTIFA pls go back to your containment board.

Reported.
>>
>>7129364
That's the definition of the word native. Why misuse it for your own politicial agenda. Chile peppers for instance are native to the Americas, according to science there are no real native americans. If I want to use the term for my own benefit since my great great grandparents were born in the USA then I'm native too.
>>
>>7129370
Maybe to your mutant taste buds but they taste different to me and to most other people.
>>
>>7129399

Culantro isn't the word for Mexican natives. You're silly. I don't have an agenda other than stopping disinformation, it's the same plant.

>>7129402

Tastes like fresh green to me. It's wonderful no matter what you call it. Do you call mustard seeds and greens different things? They're both used go make mustard powder.
>>
>>7129399
>That's the definition of the word native.

No it's not.
>>
>>7129407
You already called them differently, you said seeds and greens. You have a serious mental malfunction and should consider seeking therapy.
>>
>>7129409
Yes, it is. Let's just agree to disagree, but please tell me what your definition of native is, I'm gonna love this one.
>>
>>7129432

They're the same plant, same spice, sane taste and same use.

Explain the difference.
>>
>>7129437
The leaves taste different from the pods.
I don't know how else to explain it, it's like explaining seeing ultraviolet to someone that can't see that wavelength, your genetics sucks if you can't tell the difference.
>>
>>7129435
You show me a definition that implies your ancestors can't have migrated. It makes the word completely useless, and I guarantee 99% of people wouldn't agree with your weirdly restrictive requirement.

The first humans to settle a place.
>>
>>7129445
Keep believing in what you want to believe in, I bet you believe that taxes aka carbon credits will alter a natural occurance of climate change.
>>
>>7129443

>can see in ultraviolet

Riddic? Is that you?
>>
>>7129454
shhh
>>
>>7129452

Once again reported.
>>
>>7129452
Not a single dictionary in the house? Can't say I'm surprised.
>>
I used to eat the orange clear Neutrogena soap when I was little.
>>
>>7129459
Stating that you've reported someone is against the rules. Global #7.
>>
>>7129460
I'm not surprised that you're a moron.
>>
>>7129466
I used to eat Elmer's glue after making weird shapes with it, it was downright Lovecraftian.
>>
>>7129359
>what is vernacular

autist
>>
File: 1423363512251.jpg (20 KB, 267x179) Image search: [Google]
1423363512251.jpg
20 KB, 267x179
>cilantro
>not coriander
>>
>>7129370
This guy is right, coriander tastes absolutely NOTHING like cilantro.
>>
>>7129475
Christ you're fragile.
>>
>>7129500
No, you're just a moron.
>>
>>7129485

Why are you green texting an improper sentence? Green text is for qouting what others have said.

Vernacular is a common word you should know the definition of as an adult, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I am correct and you are incorrect.

Cilantro and coriander are the exact same thing.
>>
>>7129510
Whatever mr greentext expert. First who appointed you as the definitive expert of what should be greentexted or not? I sure didn't.

Second maybe you're a genetic mutant, to me and that's what counts when I'm writing, I can taste the difference between the leaves and the pods. if you can't then that's your problem, not mine. Get over it fagget.
>>
To answer OPs query, no, it doesn't taste like soap to me.
>>
>>7129518

greentext is for quoting other people.

i'm not the one crying about the difference between plants here, i had no idea there were so many botanists on a cooking image board.
>>
File: venus-flytrap-facts-for-kids.jpg (627 KB, 1416x1064) Image search: [Google]
venus-flytrap-facts-for-kids.jpg
627 KB, 1416x1064
>>7129532
How would I cook these babbys up?
I'm thinking with some onions, garlic, and black pepper.
>>
>>7129541

I would assume eating carnivorous plants would be the same as carnivorous animals, disgusting.
>>
>>7129532
>i had no idea there were so many botanists on a cooking image board

There aren't. It's just a bunch of bored neckbeards that actively seek out every argument they can find so they can shit up the thread and practice their weak trolling.
>>
>>7129550

Oh.

Hmm... that's odd.

I don't know why anyone is arguing about what this plant is really. Considering this person >>7129359 posted a screenshot of the wiki page clearly defining it as the same thing.
>>
>>7129559
Because they're bored and like to shitpost and have the same arguments over and over and over.
>>
>>7129550
Yeah ok, that's why you posted too, because your opinion is so much better than anyone elses.

Are you Al Sharpie Sharpton?
>>
>>7129211
Nigga hating on Vietnamese coriander

That shit straight up tastes like someone bottled a rainy spring day and put it into a leaf.
If that herb isn't poetic I don't know what is.
>>
>>7129573
I don't hate it, I just find it soapy. I'm training myself to get used to it though.
>>
It's soapy and delicious. Really it's just an acquired taste is all. I hated it for years before I gradually came round to it.
>>
It tastes like nickels/something metallic to me.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.