[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one reduce the oil popping onto you while pan frying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: heat-olive-oil.jpg (74 KB, 912x550) Image search: [Google]
heat-olive-oil.jpg
74 KB, 912x550
How does one reduce the oil popping onto you while pan frying? Better yet, how do you get used to this whole thing?

I just can't stand cooking something on the pan (medium~high heat) and getting popped all over my arm and upper body. Wearing kitchen aprons doesn't do jack shit and closing the lid will ruin some of the cooking I do.

Do I have a case of OCD or something?
>>
>>7127032
oil pops because water is touching it when it (the oil) is hot

I think
>>
You have to temper the oil by throwing in a few ice cubes so it can sustain high heat.
>>
>>7127049
Oh anon don't be mean to the op.

As far as pan frying...there's a reason why not too many people do it. If you'd like to saute in a little oil that's a different matter. Just make sure that whatever you're throwing in the pan is dry.
>>
>>7127032
Stop being a sissy and just deal with it.
>>
File: mhes.jpg (478 KB, 2812x1380) Image search: [Google]
mhes.jpg
478 KB, 2812x1380
Buy a splatter screen.
>>
I have a lid that is basically a wire screen, it prevents oil from popping out of the pan and lets the steam escape so you don't make what you are cooking soggy. It probably has a proper name. I think you can pick one up in most places that sell cooking equipment. I rarely bother with it, but it sounds like you want one.
>>
>>7127144
>>7127146
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
>>7127044
basically what this guys says. Put less wet stuff into screaming hot, oiled pans.
>>
>>7127032
-Use less oil
-Dry your food more
-Use a pot instead of a pan
>>
>>7127032
rub ice on the hot oil to stabilize the oil molecules without cooling it.
>>
>>7127134
pretty much this;was cooking earlier and shit was popping up onto my wrist non stop; you just get used to it and it won't bother you eventually.... you think at first it is actually going to hurt but it cools down so fast that it doesn't; all in your head.
>>
>>7127032
Never even noticed this was a thing until people started bitching.

I've always had a high pain threshold and usually if I'm pan-frying I'm paying more attention to sight, smell and sound to even notice pain so idk.

Sometimes I get these dotty wound/scar sort of things but they go away eventually.
>>
>>7127144
I'll echo this.
>>
Get giant cooking chopsticks if you really can't handle some spatter. I've got a pair and they're kinda fun to use, but mostly a novelty.
>>
>>7127032
Ive never had this problem cooking but maybe that's because I don't cook at high temps. A little popping is normal you when first add ingredients to the hot oil but if the oil is literally jumping at you then maybe cut the heat down a little.
>>
You might be cooking at too high a temperature, try reducing your temperature.

Another possibility is you're using thin cookware so you're getting temperature drops when you put food into the pan which makes you think you need more heat. Try using thicker gauge cookware, cast iron, or try adding less food to the pan at a time to keep temperatures stabilized.

You could also be using to much oil in your cooking. If you're having problems with your food sticking try using a non-stick cooking surface. You could also try to prep the cook surface before use, crack a egg open in the pan, smear it around for a bit creating sort of a dirty scrambled egg then discard the egg. This fills up the crevices and scratches in the cook surface so other food you cook in it afterwards won't stick as much.
>>
>>7127032
use a dutch oven instead of a pan
>>
>>7127032
Don't be a little bitch about it
>>
Wear a fucking long sleeved shirt.
>>
File: 51r6zBz2z2L.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51r6zBz2z2L.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
these cost like, $2
>>
>>7127032
Oil pops, its a natural part of cooking. The more moisture in the thing that you are cooking, the more it will pop.

If however, it is popping like a popcorn maker with Parkinsons, turn the fucking heat down.
>>
>>7127032
You're not supposed to fucking deep fry anything in the pan.

You just put a little oil in, enough to cover the pan's surface. It won't pop unless the pan's wet or you're pouring water in.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.