[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so /ck/, tomorrow I'm taking this really nice girl on a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: mojito-lrg.jpg (44 KB, 550x307) Image search: [Google]
mojito-lrg.jpg
44 KB, 550x307
so /ck/, tomorrow I'm taking this really nice girl on a date. I am incredibly nervous (nearly puked before after talking to her online)

I'm trying to put my mind at ease about all facets of the date, so help me out with drinks

What cocktails should I order to seem classy that won't also make me look like a sperg?
>>
>>7126162
What alcohol do you like? What kind of place will you be going? What time of day?
>>
>>7126162
Whatever you like to drink.
>>
>>7126184
>>7126186
My go-to drink is usually Guinness

somehow I can't see her being won over by that
>>
Probably not a mojito unless it's a mojito kind of place

What kind of place are you taking her to? Be as specific as possible please
>>
>>7126189
You don't win over a girl based on what you drink. You win her over by being able to maintain an engaging conversation and not being a fucking jackass pretending to be something you're not.
>>
>>7126205
yeah but let's face it, op is probably not able to do either, so his best hope is that she's easily impressed

op is probably in his early 20s and so is the girl. girls in their early 20s are really easy to impress.

his strategy seems legit to me, inb4 just b urself
>>
>>7126199
it's definitely a cocktail bar, been there a few times and they do pretty much everything

>>7126205
I meant more ordering/recommending for her
>>
>>7126212
it sounds like you should take her elsewhere.
>>
>>7126189
So first off you need to decide if you actually like spirits. If yes, then thats a good start. If no, then buying a cocktail is stupid.

Secondly, consider where you are going. If the place doesnt actually make cocktails, or they do make them but its not really a classy place, then its probably not best to order a cocktail. You wouldnt order a parfait of foie gras followed by lobster ravioli with caviar in a sports bar would you. So dont try ordering a martini is a shitty bar either.

So if you like spirits and cocktails in general, and you know where youre going is a decent place that will be capable of making cocktails, then decide on what is appropriate for the time of day. Breakfast - get a bloody mary. Brunch, you can get a belini or a bucks fizz or harvey wallbanger. Lunch, then I personally get gin. Gin and tonic, martini, whatever. Evening, then I go for whiskey or bourbon. Manhattan or old fashioned (although if its still light outside, like a summer evening then I might go for a negroni or martinez)

Basically, if you want to look and feel like a fucking man, then get something that doesnt have a ridiculous name and doesnt contain half a kilo of sugar. Unless its before 12pm, most cocktails should be alcohol mixed with alcohol. Leave the fruit juice and all that nonsense for the ladies.
>>
>>7126212
Post link to menu to get suggestions
>>
>>7126221
believe me I'd rather just be sat in the pub but she suggested this place
>>
>>7126212
ask the cocktail waitress for advice and ask her honest questions about the drinks. if she says some ingredient you've never heard of, ask her what it is. if it sounds interesting, order one and then you can talk about it and maybe offer your date a taste. it doesn't matter if it's sweet or not, I repeat: this does not matter.

this will break the ice because the cocktail waitress is required to be smiley and chirpy and this will rub off on your wooden personality, forcing you into a more talky and chirpy role yourself.

you can also talk about your opinions about the drinks, and expressing honest ignorance about something you can't possibly be expected to know about, while also expressing openness to learning more experientially, can only make you look friendly and approachable.

source: I'm a complete sperg and hopeless making small talk with women, this is something I've done and it buys me some time before I have a complete meltdown and retreat to the toilet to splash water on my face and hyperventilate.
>>
If you're worried about trying to impress her by ordering a cocktail, then I can't imagine what you're going to be like if you actually start dating her
>>
>>7126236
>talking to the waitress

Jesus. Shes there to serve you, not act as if shes youre equal. Your whole post is hurting me desu
>>
>>7126239
it helps she's awkward as fuck as well
>>
>>7126255
When I said youre, i meant your
>>
>>7126228
>Basically, if you want to look and feel like a fucking man, then get something that doesnt have a ridiculous name and doesnt contain half a kilo of sugar
I think that is bad advice at a "cocktail bar", the op said the girl wanted to go there, so she is probably not the kind of person who hangs out with men who have massive hangups about only drinking "manly" cocktails.

it will not come off well if op shows up in a full length black duster and fedora and insists on a martini, made in the style of winston churchill (glance in the general direction of the vermouth). real cocktail bars will not push gender-specific cocktails on their customers, it's about as ridiculous as a restaurant pushing gender-specific foods on the customers. and even cocktails with a sweet base such as brandy are going to be balanced and not taste like a half kilo of sugar.

but maybe I'm living in a hipster bubble...
>>
>>7126255
when did I say "act as if you're equal"?

haven't you ever been to a restaurant or bar nicer than the olive garden? bartenders and cocktail waitresses are supposed to know the menu, and be able to answer questions about them. the place was described as a cocktail bar, not a dive bar. at a dive bar, it's weird to ask what kind of vermouth they use in the boulevardier. it's weird to ask for a boulevardier in the first place. at a cocktail bar it's expected that they not only know what that is, but that they have a default vermouth, as well as the option to use another if you ask.
>>
>>7126267
I guess its personal taste. My cocktail drinking was almost 100% started and influenced by watching Mad Men.

One tip I have read, and I try and follow is to have a 'go to' drink for when you enter the bar. So if their menu is online, you have plenty of time to look at it first and at least decide on the first drink you are getting. That way you dont spend 15 minutes flicking through a menu when you get there and being rushed in to a decison to buy an expensive drink that you didnt even want and dont know what it is. Get the first drink and then you have time to browse the menu and maybe have a chat about what might be nice etc.
>>
>>7126162

>being so afraid of a girl that you cant even order what you want to drink
>thinking anyone gives a fuck about what you drink

id worry more about ur autism op.
>>
>>7126285
yeah, I haven't watched that show but my understanding is the schtick is that it's 60s style hyper-masculine men who blow smoke in their secretary's faces and pinch the waitress's ass, probably not a role model for a sperg trying to avoid a catastrophic first date

the "go to drink" thing is a good idea if you want to get the ordering process out of the way as quickly as possible, but if the op's date is "into cocktails" then looking over the menu and trying different drinks is part of the fun, so therefore just barking "manhattan, rocks" is bordering on being a killjoy
>>
>>7126281
>haven't you ever been to a restaurant or bar nicer than the olive garden?
You got me

Yes they know the menu and thats great. But do you really need to discuss the vermouth with them? If youre on a date, focus on the date, dont focus on whether the gin is dominated by a juniper or citrus nose.
>>
Order a Manhattan .
>>
>>7126309
>focus on the date
a date is a shared experience, and part of the experience of going to a nice place is to enjoy the drinking and the trying things you've never had before

at a nice bar they are proud of their drinks and they want to tell you about them. trying to pose as a tough cowboy "gimme whisky" type in a place like that is super lame
>>
>>7126162
Just order a round of 'mos or 'tos
>>
>>7126367
>'mos or 'tos
What? Speak fucking English.
>>
>>7126339
I dont disagree with an of that. But trying to get a full description of all the ingredients is a bit over the top.

>"Tell me, with what varieties of citrus fruits has your vermouth been flavoured with"
>>
>>7126393
I never suggested any of that. just that op should ask what cynar or aperol is, instead of pretending to know everything.

is not knowing everything acceptable in your world?
>>
>>7126306
Pretty much what the show is. Would highly recommend watching it.

The go-to drink is only for the first drink. But you can still browse the menu with your date and act as if youre looking for what you want. And it doesnt have to be a standard drink, it can be specific to that place if you check the menu before hand. Youre not killing the fun, you just happen to already know what you want to drink. I still do this even if im going out with friends to a restaurant (or quite often to a craft beer bar) because I dont have much money. If im going to spend my money, I dont want to waste it.

Or do >>7126338. Manhattan is the best cocktail.
>>
File: heyitsOP.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
heyitsOP.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>7126162

>Hey anon, thanks for taking me out to dinner. It's really nice!
>Of course m'lady! I picked this place with incredible precision after studying you intently
>W-what?
>Nothing. Nothing. Lets order shall we? I think I'll have a martini to start. Because I'm like James Bond. Did you get that reference? Shaken not stirred haha. Did you get that one? Then perhaps an old fashioned because I'm just as sly as ol' Don Draper from Mad Men.
>You'll have a Tom Collins. Why? Because while you're obviously a freak behind that nice exterior, you're also quite the classy lady.
>S-sorry anon, but I don't drink. Also you were the one who drove us here, do you think it's okay if you drink all that?
>Listen here skank. I'm trying to show you how fucking cool and hip I am by what drinks I order. Can't you fucking see that you blind bitch?! Now sit down and drink you god damn Tom Collins.
>Just wait to see what I order for the meal. You're going to think I'm so cool.
>>
Fuck.
A&W chili dogs, orange gin (pint) in brown paper bag; backseat of your car someplace secluded.
La dolce vita
>>
Red wine if you want to look like an adult. Beer if you wan to be a man.
>>
>>7126744
Haha
>>
>>7126162
>What cocktails should I order to seem classy that won't also make me look like a sperg?
I have a friend who drinks pink long island iced tea that's much less of an autist that a lot of people who drink negronis and martinis and shit
so in short what you drink won't matter to her

If you insist in order shit to seem classy order a martini with carpano, a g&t with plymouth/hendricks, a daiquiri, a ramos gin fizz...
most shit is fine but steer clear of rum/jack&coke

also ffs chill
>>
>>7126162
Putting on a false front to impress a chick only works if you're just trying to get into her pants and you're a good actor. If you're this nervous about the date you're probably too earnest to be either. So stop trying to impress her.

You like Guinness. Good. Plenty of moderately upscale pub like places serve Guinness and have reasonably good food. If you're comfortable in that kind of environment take her to one of those places. Just make sure it's not a sports bar and you'll be fine. An Irish pub of gastropub would be fine.

If the first date goes well you can try something more impressive on the third or fourth. But start off in your comfort zone. That way if it doesn't go well it's because you just weren't a good match, instead of you blowing it by putting on a poorly conceived false front.
>>
>>7126162
Just go out and enjoy yourself. It would go awfully either way so just enjoy it faggot
>>
>date

already friendzoned
>>
>>7128053
Yeah this desu. If you haven't slapped your dick up her cunt within 5 minutes of first contact you're out of the game.
>>
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's fun looking through the menu at cocktail places, talking about what sounds interesting and then trying something new, tasting each other's drinks and so on. You can absolutely order a classic cocktail if you want, but on a first date it's helpful to have icebreakers and looking at the bar's specialities and trying to make your mind up can get you talking.
>>
>>7128004
this is surprisingly good advice, particularly for 4 chan.
But yeah, do this. And there's nothing bad about cocktails.
>>
File: 1423435131928.gif (104 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1423435131928.gif
104 KB, 400x400
>>7126162
>nearly puked before after talking to her online
LMAO
You are fucked mate
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 241x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 241x294
>>7126162
>what should I get her to look classy?
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 720x709) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 720x709
>>7126205
>>
>>7128283
Thanks. I was also thinking that if OP doesn't usually drink cocktails and he's nervous he could easily blow it even if things start off well by drinking more than he realizes and making an ass of himself. If he's this nervous about the date going to a place outside of his comfort zone and drinking strong drinks sounds like a terrible idea.
>>
>>7126744
>>7128286
This pretty much.
>>7128004
And this is one of the best advice given.

Now some advice from me.
You might laugh at this but one day you will thank me.
There is a high chance this date won't work out if she is not as awkward as you are. You need to work on your social skills. Do not think about the outcome. Just go on as many dates as you can to feel comfortable in your own skin. If you like beer then order beer. You can't be something you're not. Just be yourself.
Also if my date ordered an alcoholic beverage on the first date I'd politely excuse myself.
>>
OP fuck your question and fuck this advice. Stop worrying and order whatever the fuck you want. Unless it's a drink inaproppriate to the situation (think chocolate milk, fanta or stupid/childish stuff like that), you'll be fine. Girls don't give a fuck what you order, stop being this autistic worrying about such small details. If you like mojitos, order one. If you like cosmopolitan, order it. My current man orderer a cosmopolitan first time we went on a date. Then he made a joke how gay it looks, we laughed together and pretty much forgot it.

The most important thing is not to sperg out in a conversation. If you're too nervous, it won't go smooth enough.
>>
>>7126189
I don't think she'll give a shit. Unless she's some kind of high roller picking up losers she's probably almost as nervous as you.
>>
>>7128060
>5 minutes
Get a load of this kek
If your not ejaculating in her rectum before she can even start screaming, you can't even call yourself a man
>>
>>7126212
Why do you need to order for her? If I was her and I had some dip shit ordering things for me I'd get up to go to the bathroom and never return.
>>
But ordering cocktails to seem classy will make you look like a sperg.
>>
So how did the date go, op? Did you do it with her?
>>
>>7132564
bump for answers
>>
>>7128890
>Also if my date ordered an alcoholic beverage on the first date I'd politely excuse myself.

I'd consider politely excusing myself if we went to a cocktail bar and she ordered a fucking Coke, unless she let me know that she doesn't drink. It's one thing if someone drinks heavily, but would you really run away if you took an adult to a bar or restaurant in the evening, where most first dates take place, and they had a glass of wine instead of a chocolate milk or a soda? If someone can drink appropriately in the appropriate environment, that's a pretty good indicator of the kind of person they are.
>>
Good times.

Reminds me back in the day when I actually listened to my folks about going on those arranged marriage dates. First girl I got drunk as fuck, It was hilarious when I dropped her off at home and her folks were yelling at her for getting so drunk.
>>
If she's upsetting you this much, there is no way she's attracted to you at all. You have no chance with this woman, unless you are rich. The basic rule of thumb with dating is if a man is strongly attracted to a woman, then the women won't be attracted to the man. So if you come across a woman you are not attracted to, there is a good chance she is attracted to you.
>>
>>7134087
What rule is that, some dr phil or oprah bullshit? Sometimes it's mutual, deal with it or haven't you gotten out of your parent's basement yet?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.