[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Palm oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 04-SJ_Palm Oil 125-ab.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1017) Image search: [Google]
04-SJ_Palm Oil 125-ab.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1017
Why do people think palm oil is bad? Shouldn't it be healthier for you than butter or lard? Convince me it isn't just another case of "it's cheap and readily availible so it's bad!"
>>
>>7125604
Because large swathes of palm trees are being destroyed for this oil. As a result several species of animals including orangutans are at risk of becoming extinct
>>
>>7125613
ok I can understand that, but why do people claim it to be unhealthy and inferior to butter and stuff

And why can't they grow them somewhere where there aren't orangutans
>>
>>7125613
Palm trees grow fairly rapidly compared to most real trees.
>>
>>7125619
It seems to be dependant on the source you read that determines whether it's unhealthy or not. Environmentalist and Vegan sites are like "Oh no it's super bad!" but then you have other sites saying it's good for you.

>And why can't they grow them somewhere where there aren't orangutans
Well the money to be made in Palm oil is huge since it's used in a lot of convenience food(especially cheap stuff) and (using Indonesia as an example) they could wait 4-6 years to grow palm trees or they could cut down all the palm trees that they have already and get rich quick, animals be damned.
>>
>>7125619
>And why can't they grow them somewhere where there aren't orangutans

Because they're cheap and lazy and it's easier to clear-cut huge areas of protected jungles than to develop a sustainable palm farm. Also the government is corrupt and accepts bribes then turns the other way and pretends that they had no idea it was going on.
>>
>>7125657
Pretty much
>>
>>7125619

I think that it's more of an environmental thing than it being a health thing, I've only heard people claim it's bad for that, not health. You're like Eco hitter if you love palm oil I guess.

It WOULD I'm sure be a different story if everyone put down their bulldozers and built sustainable palm oil forests outside of the ecosystem of any endangered animals but you that would cost a lot of money compared to just leveling the existing swathes of them and so of course no one is building sustainable Palm oil farms and all the palm oil is coming from orangutan etc land. In an alternate universe where people produced it differently it might be fine who knows. Maybe you should try to start the first one.
>>
>>7125674

*hitler
>>
File: red-palm-wfoods.jpg (242 KB, 550x551) Image search: [Google]
red-palm-wfoods.jpg
242 KB, 550x551
>>7125644
>Environmentalist and Vegan sites are like "Oh no it's super bad!" but then you have other sites saying it's good for you

Palm oil is evil environment-killing trash that will give you heart attacks just as fast as your triple-cheeseburgers will, you dirty carnist. UNLESS you buy the special eco-friendly nice palm oil. This kind is made from children's laughter on a plantation in Eden and is full of antioxidants, probiotics, nanomachines and angel sighs.
>>
>>7125772
>no baby deer calls
>>
>>7125772
Actually, there is a huge difference between the refined palm oil industry that IS killing orangutans among other species and decimating rain forest; and sustainably sourced red palm oil from brazil and africa, which is unrefined and contains a metric fuckton of antioxidants and healthful nutrients. Much like the difference between refined coconut oil and virgin coconut oi, except with out the orangutan raping and pillaging.
>>
I'd just like to add that everyone is focusing on the environmental damage deforesting and the orangutans, but the real problem is the draining of the peatlands. This causes them catch fire which is both a huge problem for public health and a large source of CO2 emissions.
>>
>>7125826
Seriously, fuck the orangutans anyway. Worst ape ever.
>>
>>7125619
Growing trees takes at least 3 years to do compared with other available things you can oil.
>>
>>7125884
Growing palms is short in terms of what one calls a tree. Hell it's closer to a shrub or grass than a tree.
>>
>>7125884
Growing palms is short in terms of what one calls a tree. Hell it's closer to a shrub or grass than a tree.
>>
>>7125604
Palm oil in itself isn't bad, I like a lot of shit that has palm oil in it, but it's the environmental issue. There's a BBC food podcast documentary about it that was neat.
>>
>>7125604
The only palm oil I use is for lube when I fap.

Get it? It goes in the palm of my hand....
>>
>>7127988
So funny i killed an orangutan with my fat earthquake causing ass.
>>
>>7127988
excellent
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.