[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does skim milk exist? Growing up it's all my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Skimmed_milk.jpg (760 KB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
Skimmed_milk.jpg
760 KB, 2700x1800
Why does skim milk exist?

Growing up it's all my parents ever bought, now that I live on my own I only buy whole milk.

It lasts WAY longer, it tastes better, and because some of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble, it's better for you.

Was skim milk a health food scam akin to margarine?
>>
>>7124779
>it's lower in fat

Mystery solved, chief.
>>
>>7124779
A lot of people can't control themselves and their portion control so they choose to eat low-fat and fat-free versions of dairy products sop they can continue to be a glutton and gorge themselves on it.

That and a lot of people have bought into the "ALL FAT IZ BAD 4 YOOOO" meme propagated by the food industry to increase sales of their "healthier" products since they can get away with charging more for them thereby increasing their revenues.
>>
Skimmed milk is a by-product of butter making. So naturally people found a way to market it and sell it.
>>
>>7124793
Buttermilk is the by-product from making butter.

Skim milk is just milk with the fat removed. Milk producers take large batches of milk, remove all the fat and then mix it back in at set percentages to get the various fat content milks.
>>
>>7124779
>It lasts WAY longer

Wat.
>>
>>7124783
Except skimmed milk is cheaper than wholefat milk.

>>7124793
Except the byproduct is buttermilk, not skimmed milk. Skimmed milk is the byproduct of skimming milk for cream. Hence the name: skimmed milk.

but·ter·milk/ˈbədərˌmilk/
noun
the slightly sour liquid left after butter has been churned, used in baking or consumed as a drink.

>>7124779
>not buying both
I use wholefat for drinking and skimmed for most other applications. I like béchamel sauce and semi-créme anglais made with skimmed instead of wholefat and it's great for making milkfoam for coffee and chocolate drinks. If I wanna be all fancy like when I have people over, I'll foam some skimmed milk for coffee and serve it with biscuits.

I buy wholefat milk in the largest container I can get but skimmed in 1 litre/quart ones.
>>
>>7124830
Not him and I don't know what he's saying is true but fat is a preservative.
>>
>>7124852
Correct moi if je suis wrong, but isn't that only when there's no water present? Such as in confit.
However, in the presence of water, fat goes rancid quickly, no?
>>
>>7124779
gall bladder attacks

:/
>>
>>7124883
=/
>>
>>7124779

>needing extra fat in milk to enjoy it
>being a child
>>
>>7124945
how is it "extra" fat? besides, removing the fat means you consume more sugar which is more childlike.
>>
The risks of saturated fat outweigh the benefits of any small quantity of lipophilic vitamins you can find literally anywhere else.
>>
>>7124945
>needing proteins and compounds in your water to enjoy it.
sheet nig
>>
File: 1403952612403.jpg (63 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
1403952612403.jpg
63 KB, 500x670
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/03/whole-milk-is-actually-3-5-milk-whats-up-with-that/
>Whole milk isn't made wholly of fat, or largely of fat, or even substantially of fat. In fact, it doesn't contain much fat all.

>Whole milk is actually only about 3.5 percent fat.

>Calling whole milk, "whole milk" conjures up rivers of cream. Whole milk doesn't come with that much extra fat. It has less than twice the amount of fat that 2 percent milk has, which isn't much to begin with -- less than 5 grams per cup. It's not even that much more caloric; it only has about 30 calories more per cup than 2 percent milk.

>If the milk man is going to call reduced-fat milk "2 percent milk" and low fat milk "1 percent milk," he probably should call whole milk by its fat content — 3.5 percent — and not its relativistic name.
>>
>>7124782
>>7124961
By risks, you mean none. Because there are no risks with saturated fat. It is literally an essential dietary nutrient.
>>
>>7124779

>because some of the vitamins in milk are fat soluble, it's better for you.

That's one vitamin, vitamin A, which dairy isn't a great source of to begin with. This doesn't mean the higher fat option is good for you. Dairy fat is mostly saturated.
>>
>>7128406

>By risks, you mean none. Because there are no risks with saturated fat

Of course there is.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp#.Vl5pghQqdEI

>It is literally an essential dietary nutrient.

By definition, it literally isn't.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422
>>
>>7124779
My dad doesn't tolerate whole milk well and usually gets skim. Compromised and go for semi-skim.
>>
>>7124779

skim milk has half the calories of whole milk, that's why.

>skim milk h-has more sugar in it!!

yeah maybe in your piece of shit burgerland country, in europe the carb/protein count is exactly the same.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.