[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyped foods that aren't that good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: 11103CF-255x480.jpg (41 KB, 255x480) Image search: [Google]
11103CF-255x480.jpg
41 KB, 255x480
So I've tried anything I could get my hands on, and have no issues with trying new foods. I think I only dislike one food I have ever tried, but that doesn't mean everything i've had is up to hype.

I just had kimchi and.. I mean I get it, but this limp ass cabbage kills me. It's like someone poured frank's redhot on limp flavorless pickles or sauerkraut that tastes like lettuce.
I won't say it's all for none, the heat is nice and the peppers have flavor (cayenne only, but still) there's also this almost fizz like tingle and lemmon like acidity it gives off, but the limp ass water flavored excuse for nappa cabbage brings it down.
Now I have store bought, and really I want to try some homemade (I'll try it and post it here if you guys want) and I feel like that's my problem.

Anyone else have experiences eating hyped up foods that turned out to be flops? I'll share a few more if you want to rate my taste or lack thereof.

Also, drinking thread? I only post on 4chan when drinking..
>>
>>7123401
I live in Korea and hate Kimchi, Koreans just cram their mouths full of it and always give you massive piles of it as a side dish. Ugh
>>
My first time making homemade kimchi was slightly disappointing when compared to the kimchi that my friend makes on the regular. Still, the probiotics in kimchi acts like a placebo for me (I choked down every bite, telling myself that it was "so good to me!!"). I'm gonna keep refining my recipe until I'm truly satisfied.
>>
>>7123421
>probiotics

w e w
e w e
w e w
>>
>>7123433
he did say placebo,
>>7123421
Do you have a good version to share, I was just going to wing it. I work at a fine dining place and basically get to blow money on experiments.
>>
>>7123401
>limp ass water flavored excuse

That's not kimchi at all, senpai.

Find a nice old Korean lady with a bucket full of raw oysters and squid tentacles, she'll set you straight.
>>
>no msg

throe that shit out homeboi
>>
File: athf_ep039_03.jpg (42 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
athf_ep039_03.jpg
42 KB, 400x300
I hope not, because this reminds me of an EXTREMELY LONG STORY
Thousands and thousands of years ago, I worked at a sushi restaurant in a rural area, far away from both the sea and fish markets. We had frozen fish and the occasional fresh run to us straight from the coast. It was as you expect, the red tuna was red blocks of ahi, the spicy tuna was pre-ground barely-safe-to-eat-raw tuna, the white tuna, was escolar, and all crab was sarimi. And there was much defecation.
But we had other seafoods too, eel and squid, and almost everything I had way good, but one day we decided to put octopus on the...

...and that's why I still think octopus tastes pretty weak.
>>
File: Accent_Product.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Accent_Product.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
>>7123480
Like I don't have a shaker of this in my spice cabinet...
>>
>>7123401
that's what you get for buying walmart tier jarred kimchi faggot. seriously, what the fuck were you even expecting??
>>
kimchi is a shit food anyway
>>
>>7123533
I still don't think a crispy, 5 times the flavor version would be worth the hype. I regret not having Kimchi until now but I expected to taste some serious heat, some unique flavor and something different enough that would warrant at least some of that hype. I mean that's all we have around here, the guys at work who act like Kimchi is the second coming of Jesus eat the same brand I bought at walmart.
>>
>>7123559
like I said stop eating shit tier kimchi. like any hot food you can get it as fucking hot as you can't tolerate. and kimchi is a fucking condiment. eat it on the side to a savoury medium rare steak, and a heaping hot scoop of fluffy white rice. shit is sublimte
>>
>>7123559
Kimchi is a meme food which isn't that good. But hispters like to swallow it anyway because they think it makes them look cultured.
>>
>>7123564
I am more than willing to try good homemade kimchi, if anyone has a good recipe post it and I'll post pics or shit for your amusement.

I have to say since my first post I've walked to my frige and dipped into 4 times. I'm starting to think of it as eating chips. they aren't great but.. that fizz, that mediocre flavor. at under 200 cals per jar, I gotta say I'm coming around to the appeal. I could snack on this when I'm high as balls and not eat 1300 calories worth of junk food.is the good shit still this low on calories?
>>
>>7123401
Pho.

I've tried at least a dozen variations. Most of which were cooked by people of authentic gook-ish orientation. Each time it was like eating strips of plastic soaked in dishwater.
>>
File: 021.gif (735 KB, 2363x1580) Image search: [Google]
021.gif
735 KB, 2363x1580
fried okra

I live up north in the US next to a Cracker Barrel and this shit is always on the menu. My cousins live in north and south carolina and they won't shut up about it. It's like deep fried green beans but bitter. I like my coffee and chocolate biter as balls (90% cocoa master race) but Okra just doesn't sit right.
>>
>>7123587
This.

It's absolute fucking garbage. I've eaten it in LA, Dallas, Seattle. Every single time is a disappointment filled with gelatinous, fatty meatballs and tasteless broth. I'm convinced the people who cum about pho are complete tasteless plebs.
>>
Surprisingly enough Koreans also open up pho restaurants. Is there any cuisine they won't fuck up?
>>
File: crown-russe-vodka.jpg (103 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
crown-russe-vodka.jpg
103 KB, 500x525
Not overrated obviously,
anyone else drinking cheap vodka tonight? I like this stuff more than most vodkas, and I'm picky about my vodka.

It's not belvedere, stoli elit, russian standard platinum, Reyka, but this stuff is almost as good as grey goose and it cost less than pomace oil.
>>
>>7123592
It really is flavorless, uncultured garbage when prepared in the traditional, Asian way. I add a shit ton of seasoning when I make it at home.
>>
>>7123608
Since you're a pro pho maker, what is your recipe.
>>
>>7123608
Yeah pho always tasted like some college kid making homemade ramen. Oh you cooked your noodles in stock and put it on a plate, congrats!
>>
>>7123401
Store bought kimchi and sauerkraut is a fucking joke.
That shit has to be homemade to even get an idea of what it's supposed to be like.
Lactofermented vegetables require refrigeration after they're done (unless you want to keep developing flavour), they are absolutely not shelf stable enough to sit on a shelf for months on end. So how do they do it? They pasteurize the shit out of it before canning it. That defeats the whole fucking purpose of eating lactofermented vegetables.
Make it yourself. It's easy. Tastes way better than industrial shit. And is jam packed full of yummy good bacteria that will greatly improve gut health. (be aware you should only eat small amounts at first or you may experience side effects).
>>
>>7123740
it actually was in the refrigerated section, and doesn't have a very long shelf life. Also I've had homemade and store bought kraut and there are some good krauts you can buy jarred or canned. Sure they aren't homemade, but neither is anything else. If real Kimchi is as close to the store bought as real kraut is to store bought, Kimchi would still be sub par.
Again, I haven't made it and you're the 4th person to say try homemade recipe, but not share one. I'll probably check google later but throw me a bone if you're gonna tell me storebought isn't as good as your great korean aunt's that you've been using.
>>
>>7123757
4 seconds on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTucCw1w6Ak
enjoy and stop saying stupid things when you dont know what youre talking about
>>
>>7123757

>actually it was in the refrigerated section

GET A LOAD OF THIS FAGGOT
>>
>>7123766
I was replying to the comment about it not being perishable. Christ I'm not that ignorant about it.
>>
Man this thread is so bad lol its like 90% of the /ck/ userbase are sheltered white kids raised on boiled hot dogs and kraft singles. Oh wait. Thats exactly at it is!
>>
>>7123401
Try some better kimchi OP. A good jar of kimchi is like a good jar of kraut plus peppery heat and some beefy flavors. A bad jar of kimchi is...well, a bad jar of kraut without any heat or beefy flavor.
>>
>>7123780
don't get all buttblasted because all of the fermentation in your diet has burned your tastebuds from existence, fisheye.
>>
>>7123784
Nah its just sad. I mean Ill enjoy good food regardless so Im not affected in the least. But the fact that some people are so sheltered in their middle american suburb that they yell racist shit to cover up the fact they like bland shit is just depressing
>>
>>7123788
Pretty sure they just said pho is bland as fuck, which is why it's complete shit.

Learn to read before posting, gooky.
>>
>>7123612
>>7123612
>>7123612
Well, are you going to answer or not? Or was your post just shitposting?
>>
>>7123757
>I haven't made it and you're the 4th person to say try homemade recipe, but not share one.

no one fucking said that you have to make it yourself. we all just said stop buying shit tier kimchi from walmart. most korean grocers make kimchi in house and of course same for korean restaurants and barbeques. a rule of thumb for buying kimchi from an asian grocer is always buy the one that is almost always sold out, that way you know it's a) the good stuff and b) hasn't been sitting on the shelf for very long
>>
>>7123790
Yeah but its not so they are wrong. Thats the point.
>>
>>7123792
Google a recipe you shit head. Or have a shred of common sense.

Its beef stock with Viet spices
>google pho spices - cinnamon sticks, cloves, coriander pods, star anise and cardamom.
hard huh?
Rice noodles and thin beef.
mint, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime to garnish.
enjoy you dork
>>
>>7123807
I was asking for HIS recipe, you illiterate moron.
>>
>>7123801
>I did not eat the things those anons ate but I know for sure they are wrong about their experiences

Are you just pretending to be retarded or are you seriously this shit?
>>
>>7123811
I generally dont trust the opinions on people that just say :
>MEME FOOD XD GOOK WEEB! SO BLAND! NOODLE IN WATER! WORST OF THE MEME FOODS!
>>
>>7123811
You're right. Why would anybody lie on 4chan about their food experiences? Are the Aussies awake?
>>
>>7123606

I wish we could bring this kind of advertising back.
>>
>>7123421
>>7123433

There's probiotics in kimchi? I like sauerkraut, kombucha, and spicy food, will I like kimchi? I'm a vegetarian so I've never eaten korean food.
>>
>>7123955
probably
>>
>>7123401
Kimchi is god tier you gook-slayer
>>
>>7123401
Pho.
>>
Someone probably posted this question, but how similar is kimchi to sauerkraut? Obviously it's spicier, but is there still that sour cabbage flavor that sauerkraut has?
>>
Tom Yum Goong Soup.
>>
>>7124102
Sauerkraut is basically just vinegary cabbage. It's really fuckin good, but it's pickley, and not really like kimchi at all. it's also shredded.
>>
>>7124118
I know how sauerkraut tastes and I like it, I'm asking about kimchi. If it's any similar I'll probably like it.
>>
>>7124126
>similar

Calling it similar would be a stretch. There is a little of sauerkraut taste but it's more in the background. Kimchi is typically somewhat less sour than kraut, pretty hot, and the chiles, spices, fish sauce and whatnot give it a whole lot of other flavors. Try it.
>>
File: coconut_water.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
coconut_water.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>7123401

Coconut Water. Sounded good, bought some, one mouthful later I'm throwing it out.
>>
>>7124102
>>7124118
>>7124126
>>7124247

I have some kimchi at home and it's pretty sour. There are other flavours, but the sourness is definitely what comes first (and is also the strongest flavour).

Did I get bad kimchi?
>>
>>7123559
make it yourself. it really is like cheesemaking or sourdough -- the effort you put into it shows after awhile. there's nothing i've ever eaten that tastes as good as a properly aged batch.
>>
I've tried that particular brand there and it was awful.

Either buy it by the bag from H-mart or make it yourself. It's piss easy. I make my own kimchi because I'm cheap and don't wanna spend $14 for something that costs $1.39 to make at home.
>>
>>7124265
Go fresh or go home.
>>
>>7123757
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

this is a good starter recipe, and it'll give you good flavour. you can sub oil-packed anchovies for squid, or, if you're me, incorporate both.

You have to use real korean hot pepper flakes (they're more like paprika, and nothing else will work well as a substitute), and uniodized salt. I find the flavour is best when you put the kimchi directly in the fridge, and wait almost a month before eating it. the slower it ferments, the deeper and more savory it will taste.
>>
>>7124461
>tfw kimchi costs like 1$ a jar in my shithole
>>
>>7123407
This. Korean children are literally brainwashed to the point that they think kimchi is good for everything and will cure cancer, sars and aids.
But at least the number of these people are decreasing.
>>
Egg Cream Soda.
>>
>>7124464

god damn i love maangchi. that little oriental vixen is my cup of tea when it comes to whipping up dishes from 38th parallel.
>>
>>7123401
Kimchi can vary in texture and flavor
Thus is the nature of fermented, unpasteurized food
I've never had bad kimchi though
>>
>>7127497
the gf got me her cookbook for christmas. i only know because she left the tab open on my laptop. fuckin amateur hour

her kimchiguk recipe is perfect tho
>>
>>7123568
More like
You're just a faggot
Kimchi is the best
>>
>>7124784
Which is funny since kimchi is what caused their stomach cancer in the first place.
>>
>>7128247
by which i mean leaving the 'thank you for your purchase' tab open on the laptop of the person for whom you just bought a gift is 'amateur hour'. maangchi is best wifoo
>>
>>7124102
Kimchi is not as sour as sauerkraut
Very different flavor too since the different cabbages used (white cabbage vs napa cabbage) and the different ingredients.
Kimchi can have 10+ ingredients, sauerkraut usually has 1-3 not including salt.
Different flavors for different things/what you want at that moment.
>>7124283
Not "bad" just fermented too long probably
Koreans usually use sour kimchi in soups/cooked I think
>>
black truffle is actually too strong for me, i legitimately thought it would be awesome but was let down
>>
>>7123613
>>7123592
>>7123587

congratz you have unrefined palettes

pho is really only good for lunch/breakfast, and even then there's a specific way (IMO) of eating pho

you don't sit there with your fork in your fatass american sausage fingers and dilly dally with your meme sauce and condiments, stopping every 5 seconds to have a sip of water or talk to your landwhale date about the latest episode of the latest Reddit show.

you eat it fast, strategically, and as quickly as possible because pho is literally only good when it's piping hot. You eat it fast enough so that all the shreds of rare steak are still pink when you bite into them. You can use meme sauce but only to add different streaks and layers of flavor onto the canvas that is the inside of your mouth.

when you eat pho you have to strategically create the own "flavor landscape" (pardon me Guy Fierri) on your own, using all the ingredients at your disposal like an artist using the colors on his palette. It's not like a fucking bacon cheeseburger where each bite contains a handy cross-section of all the different flavors you're supposed to identify neatly. go eat a bacon cheeseburger at Red Robin's, it's all you FUCKING yanks are good for anyways.
>>
>>7123608

you too faggot >>7128930

also never order the largest size you fucking idiots, the reason being is that it cools before you can finish it and cold pho is unedible.

it's NEVER a main course

this is what americans don't understand
>>
>>7128930

>inb4 someone calls me out on 'palettes' instead of palates

fuck you

but yeah you will never know the joy of eating a bowl of steamy pho at 11 PM on an outdoor patio on the side of a busy street, tears and mucous running down your face as you slurp gummy tendon and tender cubes of pork blood, and finish your meal by gulping down savory and sour throatfulls of scorching hot beef broth

pho >>>>>>>> ramen

I'm sorry lads but it's the truth. I'm not even Vietnamese.
>>
>>7128880
Truffles in general for me. I've had plenty of things that contained actual truffle, but I've yet to try a single one that made me go "Yep, totally worth $1200 a pound"
>>
>>7123401
Use it as a condiment. Rice, Soup, Potatoes, fry it up with your favorite shit. Cayenne should not be an ingredient. Coarse Korean pepper flakes only. Home made could be better, but some store shit is perfectly fine. Might not be your cuppa tea, but try another one before you totally rite it off. Go to H mart online to start
>>
>>7128930
>>7128977
I dunno, I'm Southeast Asian, not a Vietnamese, but I feel that Pho, compared to pretty much all the other dishes in the region is rather bland. Is it just because the ones I've had are catered to non-locals?

I'd much rather have a bowl of laksa, bak kut teh, masaman curry, cuts of lechon, grilled pork salads, beef salad, char kueh tiaw, etc.

When compared to all the above, Pho is just... utterly bland. Why is it so popular?
>>
>>7129235
>I dunno, I'm Southeast Asian, not a Vietnamese

Why the fuck did you even write this and not just straight out say what ethnicity you are?
>>
File: how-to-eat-pho.jpg (60 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
how-to-eat-pho.jpg
60 KB, 600x450
>>7129235

well you're pinoy, so I'd expect you to be just as versed in Vietnamese cuisine as a white person, if not less

but yeah, I already wrote why pho is good

because a good bowl will be light, full of fresh ingredients with a variety of interesting textures, contrasting flavors like sour, spicy, savory, and just infinitely more interesting and subtle than any noodle soup I can think of.
>>
>>7129397
Because he's either filipino, or he's a disgusting white person who "identifies as southeast asian" but actually isn't.
>>
>>7123401
i've tried a bunch of brands. but bottled kimchi is always a letdown compared to the korean restaurant i first had it at
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.