[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people legitimately think Asian food is better in Asia I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: dsc08454.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
dsc08454.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>people legitimately think Asian food is better in Asia
I can 100% guarantee you that Vietnamese food is literally the same everywhere
>>
It's objectively not, ingredients will differ from place to place
>>
At least in the United States, Vietnamese food is prepared in a place that has food safety regulations.

The last time I was in Cambodia, I ate some things that would have resulted in a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit. But then again, I've never been to a Cambodian restaurant in the US that had a halfway decent prahok.
>>
>>7122465

I haven't been to a Cambodian restaurant in the US that made anything resembling the food I ate in Cambodia, and I lived in an area with a pretty big population of immigrants.
>>
>>7122511
Same. You'd think given the popularity of pho and ramen amongst westerners that you'd at least be able to make money opening a shop that just serves kuy tiev and fried bread. Then again, maybe they just don't want to.
>>
I used to live in Thailand, and US Thai restaurants do a decent enough job. I think one issue is catering to whitey. I like overly fish sauced Thai food, which was how I ate pretty much everything in issan.

What I really miss is the way Thais would do other cuisine. My favorite sushi I ever had was made in Thailand by Thai people (and I had decent sushi in Japan). Thai style Vietnamese has quite a few differences as well. It was fun.

Thai pizza is absolute horseshit though.
>>
>>7122529
Most immigrants aren't cooks though, they open restaurants because they think it's the done thing. Why do you think all Chinese places serve the same red goo? It's a damn shame too, if they actually bothered to get a decent cook making authentic they'd make stacks.
>>
try eating pho in rural vietnam

extras include ants in your soup, you brave enough for that?
>>
>>7122572

because its not from the mainland, its actually american chinese food. literature has it those meals you see in the chinese american restaurants nowadays were recipes to feed the continental railroad workers
>>
>>7122554

I once had fish tacos in Cambodia.

It was at one of those little shack type places right on the beach (and this was a completely empty beach we had to take a tuk tuk - or whatever they're called there - to).

They were some of the best fish tacos I'd ever had, and wish I took pictures. All I remember is that they resembled fish tacos, but used different flavors, really fresh fish, and to this day I can't fathom what they made the "tortillas" out of, or who gave them the idea to put that on their menu in the first place.
>>
>>7122444
name one Vietnamese staple ingredient you can't find in California alone
>>
>>7122572
>Most immigrants aren't cooks though, they open restaurants because they think it's the done thing. Why do you think all Chinese places serve the same red goo?

A lot of the immigrants coming over to work in restaurants are pretty good cooks to begin with, the Chinese ones are taught how to make that red goo once they get here by an enormous coalition of American-Chinese restaurants because Americans want red goo and not proper Chinese food.
>>
>>7122968
thats cause a lot of proper Chinese food tastes like ass and red goo is awesome
>>
Both of my grandmas have been to Vietnam.

One of them tells me that Canadian Pho tastes better than real Vietnamese Pho from Vietnam.

The other actually hates Vietnamese food altogether, and only went there to visit a friend.
>>
File: 36109343.jpg (62 KB, 840x460) Image search: [Google]
36109343.jpg
62 KB, 840x460
>>7122511
I lived with a cambodian guy for 2 weeks and all the food prepared tasted like generic bland chinese food. I was expecting spicy and didn't get anything. The most exotic thing I had was duck blood soup and it tasted rancid.

The best food I had in Cambodia was from a mexican restaurant called Viva in Siem Reap. It was the best mexican food I've ever eaten.
>>
>>7122407
I can 100% guarantee you that you're correct and the only ones who disagree are whiny, disaffected kiddes from 3rd generation immigrant families whose only source of happiness in life is feeling superior to the whites and mexicans in their neighborhood for using the "right" kind of pepper on their banh mi (which originated entirely in vietnam with no involvement from anywhere else whatsoever, check your privilege shitlord) and eating salt fish (lol only people from my country can appreciate this ingredient, just order orange chicken friendo) fried rice with chopsticks (chopsticks, or "hashi" if you're in the know, are the only utensils used in my country and we can eat anything and everything with them)
>>
>>7122444
Get this, H.G. Wells: here in the mysterious world of the future we have these things called 'aeroplanes' that can move rare ingredients around the world overnight, and 'green-houses' which can be used to grow sensitive plants even in very cold places.
>>
well chinese food at least is definitely not the same everywhere. even in china, it differs regionally and the ingredients are seasonal.
>>
>>7123665
salt fish is also an east coast canada thing, and probably US as well.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.