[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After spending too much time with a Mr Coffee, I decided to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 61IsqrePghL._SL1500_.jpg (79 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61IsqrePghL._SL1500_.jpg
79 KB, 1500x1500
After spending too much time with a Mr Coffee, I decided to get a proper coffee device.

I'm stuck between Hario V60 and Bialetti. Which should I stick with?

Coffee grinders?
>>
>>7118347
I have a Bialetti and I love it, but then again I'm something of an Italiboo. In b4 Bono copypasta
>>
>>7118347
It's coffee. Quit treating it like diamond purity.
>>
>>7118353
It's not like I'm buying $1000 machines and shit. I just want something a little better than Mr Coffee.
>>
>>7118347
I use a Bialetti. Don't expect good espresso to come out of it - there's a reason why people shell out hundreds/thousands of dollars for equipment that deliver the real deal. But if strong coffee is your thing and you can handle a little coarseness the Bialetti will give you a decent result for everyday drinking.
>>
>>7118352
>but then again I'm something of an Italiboo
why would anyone do such a thing.
>>
>>7118347

should i buy a bialetti from ebay or are there counterfeits? where to cop it? i live in the jungle
>>
taken from the ebay review page:

"Love the Moka but not the size.

Fun product to use - and makes a good espresso type coffee for our Cuban Coffee. Just wish I would have bought a bigger size, we like to use a giant cup and this size just doesn't make enough. Otherwise, love the Moka!"

>giant cup
>espresso

lolmericans everyone
>>
>>7118347
You could probably swing both and a hand grinder if you really want to try coffee. Moka pots and pour over will produce different kinds of brew.
>>
File: marcello.png (389 KB, 805x450) Image search: [Google]
marcello.png
389 KB, 805x450
>>7118374
>Not recognizing midcentury Italy as the high point of Western Civilization
>>
If you brew a full mug's worth (8 - 10 fl oz/237ml - 296ml) in a bigger moka pot, will it have enough caffeine to OD?
>>
>>7118448
Only if you drink 15 full pots. That's roughly OD for a 180lb male. But seriously, drink coffee for taste and not energy.
>>
>>7118347
I have two of pic, they've done me well over the years

On one of them the seal is a bit temperamental but still works

Basically it'll taste as good as the quality of the coffee you put in
>>
>>7118472
>drink coffee for taste and not energy

Yeah, that's what I do. I was just thinking about how that would work out.
>>
>>7118448
>That's roughly OD for a 180lb male. But seriously, drink coffee for taste and not energy.
10 grams of caffeine is lethal, so unless you're pushing 150 espressos a day i think you're gonna be fine
>>
File: clever-coffee-dripper.jpg (32 KB, 598x598) Image search: [Google]
clever-coffee-dripper.jpg
32 KB, 598x598
Pic related or french press and a hand burr grinder. Manual pourover a shit without a gooseneck kettle and even then they're a hassle to get right. Moka pots make small amounts of bitter coffee, not espresso.
>>
>>7118412
It's not real espresso, just a similar drink. I should say it's pretty reasonable to have a larger size, like a double or even an americano. I like to think of these stove stop machines as americano machines, makes me feel a lot better about not having real espresso.
>>
>>7118951
Cont'd. I would recommend a french press for the reason that a stovetop espresso maker makes a similar drink. Sure it's not the same but you can make a damn good strong coffee with a french press. Also smooth every time. The stovetop is more hit or miss.
>>
>>7118961
I'd recommend an aeropress before a French press. If not just because the aeropress is sooo easy to clean.
>>
>>7118368
>Don't expect good espresso to come out of it - there's a reason why people shell out hundreds/thousands of dollars for equipment that deliver the real deal.

This.

Those things make strong coffee, but you don't get the body and texture that you get out of a good espresso machine, and the body and texture is what makes an espresso an espresso...
>>
>>7118984
Looks pretty cool but I'd rather not have disposable filters personally.
>>
>>7118997
You can get a metal mesh filter for it if you're scared of paper filters.
>>
>>7118997
You can get a stainless steel filter, works great.
>>
>>7118448
Probably not, but it depends on your caffeine tolerance.

If you haven't built up caffeine tolerance, an 8-10 oz cup of espresso strength coffee might make you wish you were dead, but it probably won't kill you.
>>
>>7118726
>Moka pots make small amounts of bitter coffee
What makes the coffee more bitter than other methods?
>>
>>7119342
Boiling water directly through the grounds
>>
>>7119375
So, if I used the Hario instead, how would it taste different?

...Maybe I should get both
>>
You're not supposed to use high heat, morans. You gotta let the water slowly heat up.
>>
>>7119383
Get a french press. Great coffee, no bullshit
>>
>>7118347
Better still is a French press. But between the V60 and the Bialetti I would get the Bialetti, the V60 is a pain in the ass and uses more coffee grinds for the same amount of liquid made.
>>
>>7119384
This is a misconception. How fast you heat the water doesn't matter, but the final temperature does. The key is to keep the steam pressure low enough to not force many grounds through. One way to do that is to heat the water slowly, as generally the cup will finish brewing before it gets too hot. However you can use high heat until the coffee begins to boil then lower the heat.
>>
>>7118726
>small amounts of bitter coffee

You're doing it wrong.
My moka pot makes a nice strong cup with a pleasant nutty taste.
>>
>>7118448
you will get a headache and nausea for sure
>>
>>7119885
See:
>>7119872
>>
>>7119995
Wait, I drink three mugs every day from my drip machine.

If I switch to a moka pot, it'll be too strong to do that?
>>
File: IMG_20151129_131503.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_131503.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
>>7121604
Get a french press
>>
>>7122246
What makes it better than a Moka Pot?
>>
>>7122246
I just got that grinder. I'm having trouble dialing in the coarseness. Directions are in Engrish. Tips?
>>
>>7122516
15 clicks from closed for French press
7 clicks from closed for pour over
5 clicks from closed for espresso

Hario I guess?
>>
File: IMG_20151116_162807.jpg (838 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151116_162807.jpg
838 KB, 1944x2592
>>7122516
http://fourbarrel.tumblr.com/post/283821195/easy-way-to-set-the-grind-on-a-hario-skerton

Also, if you want to mod it, you can use the OphanEspresso mod or I can point you in the direction of the 3D printed variants

>>7122487
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/wiki/start

>>7122528
15? LOL. You'd basically just be cutting the beans in half
>>
>>7122528
>>7122531
>hario
Yup.
Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>7122531
I guess I'll lower it to 10.
>>
>>7122552
I mean, do what works for you, but you've got to be getting some wildly inconsistent grind
>>
Seriously, what makes a french press better than a moka pot?
>>
>>7122559
Simple, consistent, forgiving, easy to control variables, makes more than a few ounces...
>>
>>7122557
No, I want to do what is right. I have a Hario Mini Mill, not a Skerton. What do other people do for press with that?
>>
>>7122570
The size is my biggest concern. I drink three 10-12 oz cups every day. Looks like the moka pot ain't gonna cut it for the amount I drink
>>
>>7119872
>>7120329
This is some wrong ass shit. The boiling point of water is constant in your kitchen, unless you're using a pressure cooker. What passes through the puck in a moka pot is boiling water, not steam, so it's going to be about 212 degrees F no matter what you do. That's just over 20 degrees too hot for proper espresso, but still gives a passable result if you're going to add milk to it. No "trick" is going to change the temperature at which the water hits the coffee in a moka pot. It will be at the boiling point no matter what you do by virtue of the thing's design.
>>
>>7122575
Then get a 1L press and a ~20 oz thermos to decant into. Pour your first cup and fill the thermos. There's your three mugs from one pot of the press.

>>7122571
Oh, I have no idea then. You'll have to do your own research. I suggest /r/coffee
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.