[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Due to health, I have had to cut back on my fat intake. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: ramstein.jpg (194 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
ramstein.jpg
194 KB, 1440x900
Due to health, I have had to cut back on my fat intake.
What are some fun salad ideas?
The more homemade the better.
>>
>>7117048

Dice tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion. Toss with olive oil and some lemon juice, salt and any green herbs of your choice for taste.
>>
>>7117055
I am trying to stay seasonal, and get inspired. Your salad sounds great but... c grade.

Inspire me.
>>
>>7117048

Honestly? Whatever you're in the mood for, so long as you know that majority of the salad is to get your servings or vegetables.

So kale, non-iceberg lettuce, and baby spinach are a good start. Iceberg lettuce has really no nutritional value. you could add some fruit, like strawberry, apple, dried cranberries but gauging on your situation, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're also curbing your sugar intake, so be mindful on how much sweet fruit you're adding.

A small crumbling of feta or fresh mozzarella won't hurt, plus added protein.

Sprinkle in some chopped nuts or sunflower seeds, then finish off with a dressing you like. I like taking a few tart raspberries blending to a pulp, and combining it with EV olive oil for a simple homemade vinegarette.

Sky's the limit.
>>
>>7117063
toasted almonds, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, mixed greens, goat cheese, honey poppyseed vinaigrette.

You can use fresh berries but most of the salad menus I do cater to an older crowd and they like dried fruits
>>
>>7117048
Arugula, crumbled goat cheese, sliced scallions, pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans and a balsamic vinaigrette.
>>
>>7117077
I like kale, but I usually braise it to get it tender.
How do I overcome the harshness of kale in a salad?
>>
>>7117090
>I like kale

I'm out
>>
File: 1294702143199.jpg (3 KB, 132x122) Image search: [Google]
1294702143199.jpg
3 KB, 132x122
>>7117048
>cut back on my fat intake
>>
>>7117090
baby kale. no joke
>>
Mango chutney salad
>>
Use this asian dressing OP

2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp granulated ginger
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Tastes crazy good and isn't fuck awful for you.
>>
>>7117090
Massage it.

Chop it up, dump it in a bowl, add some salt, lemon juice and olive oil and then massage it between your hands to break down the fibers and tenderize it. Also pair with other strong flavors in the salad so the kale doesn't entirely overpower it.
>>
File: image.jpg (642 KB, 984x4450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
642 KB, 984x4450
Salads are super versatile...
>>
File: 1416685327538.png (312 KB, 918x720) Image search: [Google]
1416685327538.png
312 KB, 918x720
>>7117098
>paleo/keto memers.
>>
>>7117048
Here are some "fun" salad ideas from a fellow fatass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUW_bXll6YM
>>
>>7117197
Does ja/ck/ even know what salads are?
>>
>>7117048
I'm with you, OP. I have to maintain a strict low fat diet due to gallstones. (I'm having my gallbladder taken out, but I don't know when yet, probably not till after the holidays are over).
ANYWAY, you can get really creative with this, I've found. Yes, I've eaten a lot of salads, but I've also eaten a lot of vietnamese spring rolls and vietnamese vermicelli bowls (using rice noodles), which are dead easy to make. Also, vegetable soup, stir fries (using very little oil or broth instead of oil), sweet potatoes stuffed with steamed chicken and vegetables, poached salmon over cauliflower "rice", roasted butternut squash tacos (cubed butternut squash seasoned with chili powder, garlic, lemon, and cumin, roasted on a lightly oiled pan, and served in steamed corn tortillas with pico de gallo, the list goes on.......Point being, you don't have to eat just salads.
But, on the subject of salads, you can pretty much go wild, just leave off any cheese, creamy dressings, or too much oil.
>>
File: JackBurton.jpg (7 KB, 336x150) Image search: [Google]
JackBurton.jpg
7 KB, 336x150
>>7117197
HAHA
TWO HEAPING SPOONFULS
>>
>>7117048
potato salad: extra mayonnaise
pasta salad: extra cheese, ham, and mayonnaise
tuna salad: extra mayonnaise
caesar salad: extra dressing and cheese
cobb salad: extra ham, egg, and cheese, heavy ranch

Seriously, though, this >>7117415
Just cook leaner in general.
If you're really set on salad as your primary thing for some odd reason, a few I like that are easy to keep light and still be tasty are:

spinach salad: blend 2 TBS apple cider vinegar, 2-3 TSP dry mustard, 1/4-1/3 cup honey, 2 TSP coriander, juice of 2 lemons, salt, pinch or two of cayenne, and an egg yolk, while slowly drizzling in a neutral oil (3/4-1 cup), adjusting thickness with water toward the end.
I never measure it, so amounts are vague estimates. Looking for honey, vinegar and lemon acidity, coriander, and mustard to be the main body of the flavor in that order, a little kick from the cayenne, and enough salt to give it umpf so a little goes a long way.
I usually toss in tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onion, and some chicken.

frisee & arugala with pear, walnuts, and grapes, with a light vinaigrette pairs nicely with white fish

Bib lettuce with shrimp and basil or mint
blend 1 TBS fresh ginger, 1 cup grapefruit juice, 1/4 cup sugar, red pepper and salt to taste with about a cup of neutral oil
It's better with some avocado, but good without it too.
>>
Nothing specific but I find adding pumpkin or sunflower seeds, crunched nuts or toasted bread cubes generally adds a lot of 'fun factor'. Salad and bread is actually my preferred way to enjoy a steak, make it a small steak and a big salad and it could still fit in a diet.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.