[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why even make this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 642x428) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 642x428
Why even make this
>>
Maybe some people just hate their pancreas
>>
Because fat people
>>
>>7115474
I have at least 2 relatives that cry if we don't serve it.

I can't stand the shit. But it takes about 3 minutes of effort to throw together, so fuck it, it's the holidays.
>>
>>7115492
Are they fat
>>
Literally what is that? Marshmallows and what looks to be pumpkin filling? Is this some Murrican thing?
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 1018x728) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 1018x728
>>7115518
It sure as shit is - it's squash with marshmallows on top. as if squash wasn't already shit enough

Mfw I first saw this
>>
>>7115474
Must be some fat ass foreign shit. I have no clue what the hell that is.
>>
>>7115518
sweet potatoes and marshmallows.
>>
>>7115528
Shit it's not even squash? Fuck I'm retarded but sweet potatoes are even worse than squash
>>
My mother makes a small batch of that every Thanksgiving because she is the only one who likes it.
>>
>>7115526
>>7115528
I'm confused, is this a dessert? I mean my brain says it's savoury because of squash, but there's marshmallows on it and sweet potatoes would make it sickly sweet so I'm very confused.
>>
>>7115502
strangely, no. But both are marathon runners. they eat a shit ton of food.
>>
>>7115474
I thought it was meringue lmao, fucking Americans
>>
>>7115550
It's candied sweet potatoes. It's terribly sweet, a little savory.

Typically it's canned sweet potato, margarine, brown sugar, and topped with marshmallows.

I usually add some nutmeg and allspice as well. It's damned near a sweet potato pie. Might as well spice it like one.
>>
>>7115550
It's often a side dish. They add sugar or sometimes maple syrup to sweet potatoes and then top it with marshmallows. Google sweet potato casserole if you are curious. It's sort of obscene.
>>
>>7115560
>>7115561
I'm usually okay with American dishes but this makes me feel ill on a texture and sweetness level.

I feel like some nuts or something would help that ever so slightly.

I have no idea how I've never heard of this before tbqh. Seems like it's a traditional Thanksgiving thing.
>>
>>7115575
You just described all the reasons I hate it.

And yeah. it's very traditional, at least in the midwest. But we're always eating foods that should have been left in the 70's with the plaid bell bottoms and pointed collared shirts.
>>
>>7115575
>I feel like some nuts or something would help that ever so slightly.
My aunt does this in place of marshmallows (usually walnuts or pecans). It's much better.
>>
This is mind boggling 2bh

t. Brit
>>
>>7115540
Sweet potatoes are better for you than regular potatos.
>>
>>7115665
For the vitamin A sure but it's still just carbohydrates en masse
>>
>>7115665
>Thinking about some American family having potato bake topped with marshmallows

It probably happens.
>>
>>7115554
I thought exactly this. Unless you look closely, it's hard to tell that they're marshmallows.
>>
>>7115474
Muh obesity
>>
>>7115474
I've never had this shit but it sounds fucking disgusting. I'm really glad none of my relatives make it.
>>
It's basically sweet potato's (it's technically yams but they come from the same 'family' and they taste a like) with a shitload of brown sugar or caramelized sugar or something, all I know is it's a sweet viscous liquid coating, topped with marshmallows.

Basically, diabetes, but fuck it tastes pretty good. I always get a small bite of that instead of pie since I hate pumpkin pie and my family makes no other types of pie or dessert.
>>
my name is wilford brimley and i have diabeetus
>>
File: 1434067765395.jpg (66 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
1434067765395.jpg
66 KB, 537x720
I dont think ive ever had the yams pureed like that though, usually my mom largely slices yams, slices butter on top to cover, brown sugar, maybe a little cinnamon, marshmallows fro like 5 mins so they get gooey, it quite good with chunks of yams instead bc only about 10 pieces is enough before it just becomes too much, wee usually have it with our after dinner coffee anyway
>>
>>7116181
This

Chunks > Puree
>>
File: why.jpg (23 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
23 KB, 288x499
>>7116181
>OPs pic with coffee
>>
File: pepe-fieri.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
pepe-fieri.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
I love it. Wouldn't be thanksgiving without it.

We don't use marshmellows on top, but instead a streusel topping of coconut, pecans butter flour and brown sugar.
>>
I make this every year, but I make sure to use fresh sweet potatoes and make the topping a balance between marshmallows and pecans. I season it with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, brown sugar, melted butter, maple syrup, and bourbon.
>>
>>7115598
Raisins is good. Use less MArshmallows, add a bit of coconut flakes. its rather good.
>>
>>7116287
It's a carb-rich desert that pairs well with unsweetened coffee.

Agreed that chunks are better than mashed. Hate that homogenous baby food texture. I don't use much sugar with mine, often half of what recipes call for and I honestly think it's better. A little savory flavor to balance out the marshmallows.
>>
>>7115598
>>7116326
>>7116424
These sound pretty good.
>>
>>7115492
>crying because you don't get the dish you want
What the fuck? Are these adults?
>>
Now I'm wondering who the first cunt was that thought putting marshmallows on that was a good idea.
>>
>>7115474
looks like some sort of fungal growth
>>
>>7115474
It's really good, I don't know what y'all going on about. I've never seen it with that many marshmallows like in the OP though.
>>
>>7115474
Because your relatives want you to suffer. I hate it too, my family isn't even Midwestern.

Can't stand sweet potatoes but topping them with anything but marshmallows would be better, I'd bet.
>>
>white people have never had sweet potatoes and marshmallows
I feel bad for you guys, it's pretty tasty and traditional.
>hurrr it's unhealthy
It's eaten on fucking thanksgiving. Are you counting your calories on Thanksgiving?
>>
Sweet potatoes are my favorite root vegetable, and on my top 3 favorite foods of all time. I for the life of me will never understand why people go through the trouble of boiling, mashing and ruining them with a layer of packaged marshmallows. They end up loose and bland and you have to compensate for the lack of flavor by overloading it with sweet shit and cinnamon.

Sweet potatoes are perfectly fine as they are. Roast them in the oven, split them and add a little bit of salt and butter. They end up tasting much better.
>>
someone always makes it in my family, but usually ours is 1/2 inch sliced sweet potatos with a light sprinkling of 'mellows and pecans and maybe brown sugar. its good because you are really only eating a small serving with a bunch of other stuff, too much would be a bit much
>>
>>7116533
It's incredibly common amongst white Americans what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>7116685
And roast pumpkin is also good. Doesn't mean pumpkin pie can't be delicious. Way to ignore people using sliced potatoes in this thread and using it as a dessert. You don't need sugar, and a little cinnamon and nutmeg go a long way. Of course roast potatoes are good, but that doesn't stop people making mashed potatoes for thanksgiving you dumb fuck.
>>
>>7115788
No, it's not yams, yams are like a yard long mang.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 581x1017) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 581x1017
>>7116835
>this guy thinks he knows about yams
Try google
>>
i am american and think this dish is absolutely wretched. the smell alone turns my stomach, i don't understand how people can eat it, especially not as a dessert.

i do like sweet potatoes, but they need to be savory, not coated in brown sugar and cinnamon and marshmellows. ugh.
>>
>>7116835
They are yams silly goose, yams are orange. Sweet potatoes are actually yellow in color. I do not know why yams are called sweet potatoes in practice though.
>>
>>7115474
its delicious
>>
My aunt makes this every Thanksgiving. I liked it as a kid, but it's way too sweet for me now.
I make my own version with just mashed sweet potatoes, butter, and pecans.
>>
I don't fucking know, OP, I don't fucking know.....
I grew up in the south and have always found that shit DISGUSTING. I love a baked sweet potato, with some butter, salt and pepper on it, or even dressed up with a little shaved parmesan. But that fucking MARSHMALLOW MONSTROSITY should be outright banned from being served to people. If someone wants to eat that shit, they should do alone, in the dark, in a closet, where no one can see their filthy habit.
>>
>>7117409
You hit it on the head. It's for the kids or obese aunt that didn't grow up, though in a very small dose it's not TOO bad.
>>
>>7115668
>carbs are bad
>>
>>7117511
Umm, that wasn't implied moron. But big blocks of starchy carbs can hardly be classified as "good for you"
>>
>>7117517
based on what other than
>carbs are bad
>>
>>7115575
>>7115598
I used this recipe for my sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/331-sweet-potato-casserole

Turned out excellently. It's definitely not a savory dish, but it's fine with the rest of the meal if you keep the gravy cordoned off.
>>
>>7115526

I think I'll make this sometime and use mashed yams instead of squash just to fuck with the people that like it.
>>
>>7116533
>white people have never had sweet potatoes and marshmallows
confimed for jiggaboo

pretty sure white people get credit for this one darkie
>>
>>7118107
Sure as fuck looks like honkie food, you jive ass turkey
>>
>>7115584
I've lived in the midwest my whole life and have only seen this dish at one thanksgiving. It's disgusting
>>
>>7119003
nothing you can say will upset me because im not a spook
>>
>>7115474
What food? Some kind of a mushroom pie?
>>
>>7115474
My gran would make if for me when I was a little kid it was the shit at 6 years of age. I have zero respect for adults who eat that crap though.
>>
>>7115474
Just assumed it was an American staple, probably served 3 times a day
>>
>>7116484
Not him, but my dad likes those. He actually got whiny when my sister wasnt going to make them last year. He was the only one that ate them too.
>>
>>7116181
Dat look like a nutsack, yo.
>>
>>7115474
I prefer them baked in the skin until they ooze a lot of the sticky brown liquid out of them. Around that time they are caramelized and taste as sweet as they need to be. I'll eat them like a baked potato with butter or add them to breads and such. Fried sweet potato is also pretty awesome.

Selecting the right sweet potatoes is helpful too. They really do need to be seasoned after harvesting for about 2 months. They will develop a thicker skin and become much sweeter during that time. They will also increase in flavor a great deal. Normal potatoes need a similar type of seasoning though it is a bit different. They too will thicken their skin and increase in flavor. Most potatoes/sweet potatoes in the store are flavorless in comparison. Sunchoke (Jerusalem Artichoke) tubers are similar. They need to be stored in a cold refrigerated place for about 2 weeks or only harvested after there's been many frosts. Then they will have more flavor and be sweeter.
>>
>>7116181
>yams

You mean sweet potatoes. A yam is a different type of vegetable from Africa. The stuff in the OP is made from Butternut Squash. But, Mmst recipes can interchange Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, acorn squash, and similar.
>>
"DON'T BE WASTING IT, IT HAS THAT REAAAAAL VANILLAR IN IT!"

>mfw I know flyovers who thing vanilla is some fancy liquid only used by rich people
>>
My family used to make this and top it with candied spiced pecans instead of marshmallows. It was actually pretty damn good but still very sweet; I could only stand to eat a little bit at a time.
>>
>>7117096
>>7117172
>Sweet potatoes are actually yellow
You think color has anything to do with it? Ever had a red carrot? CERTAIN VARIETIES of sweet potato are yellow. Most commercial varieties are orange because they're sweeter than the yellow ones.
>I do not know why yams are called sweet potatoes in practice though
Because sweet potatoes aren't the same thing as yams. Some sweet potatoes are CALLED yams, but they're not.

I have to agree with OP. Sweet potato pie is really the only good thing to come of these tubers.
>>
>>7119407
Oh God my entire fucking family is like this with vanilla and balsamic. Not even kidding. From the Midwest obv.
>>
ITT: A bunch of millenial American 4th graders in montessori schools who live in low-grade duplexs and cant even handle/dont even know what candied yams are.
>>
>>7115474

gf has me make this every year. her recipe (because she is the only one that eats it) is:

1/2 lb butter
2 cups brown sugar
1lb sweet potatoes (make sure theyre organic because its good for you)

cook for 1h@350f

top with a whole fuckin bag of marshmallows and broil till browned.

90% goes to waste because she doesnt want to eat so much due to the calories etc.
>>
>>7116685
Not to get off topic to the OPs post, but I just slice sweet potato into like 1/4 inch slices and bake with just some cinnamon on top and brush a little butter when they are done and it's amazing.
>>
Looks more like a dessert 2bh

It's like you lot eating maple syrup on your eggs & bacon

s m h yanks.
>>
File: yam-casserole-sl-392646-x.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yam-casserole-sl-392646-x.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
The best way to make it is part crunchy crumble topping, part marshmallow. Otherwise the marshmallow layer is just too much texture-wise. Getting a cracker bottom in the dish evens out the softness of the sweet potato.

The dish has some opportunity, it's just not being unlocked by aunt Jennifer and her 0 effort bullshit that she's using as her pass to get in your home and make it look like she didn't just come to eat for free.
>>
File: you.png (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
you.png
10 KB, 300x300
>>7117172
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.