[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Emergency /ck/ Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Photo on 11-25-15 at 8.46 PM.jpg (223 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-25-15 at 8.46 PM.jpg
223 KB, 1080x720
So I'm making an onion sauce to go with some steak for dinner. I just tried it, and even after caramelization it tastes unbelievably bitter. What could I do to fix this? I have a relatively well-equipped kitchen with all the normal things one would expect. I can answer any further, more specific, questions as well.
>>
throw it out and start again
>>
>>7110673
Man, that's a really lumpy thick "sauce". What's in it besides onions?
>>
What the hell did you do? Explain your process. If it's extremely bitter you will probably have to throw it out.

Unless you added something bitter to your sauce, the bitterness is likely from over caramelizing the onions
>>
>>7110689
>over caramelizing
aka burning
>>
Maybe you didn't rinse your pan thoroughly enough? I've had sauces ruined by dish soap before.
>>
>>7110682
Just onions. Extremely finely puréed onions.
>>7110689
Puréeing the onions produced a lot of juice, which I strained off and boiled. Meanwhile I caramelized the onion material in butter. I then combined the two and added a half cup of red wine.
>>
>>7110699
It's burned. Turn down the temp next time.
>>
>>7110699

Seems like you burned them, also why would you puree onions?
>>
>>7110704
Because I couldn't be assed to chop 15 onions by hand. Also, >>7110702 it's not a "carbonized" bitterness, though. It's more of a "raw onion" bitterness, which leads me to believe the problem was in the juice I separated out - It probably didn't effectively caramelize. Either way, how can I fix it?
>>
>>7110714
Literal denial.
>>
>>7110714
You can't.
Throw that shit out, and do it again, this time by sautéing finely a chopped onions like a normal person, you sperg.

Also do them on medium-medium-low heat, it takes longer but they will come out sweeter.
>>
>>7110714

It's definitely because you pureed the onions before you cooked them, I've done this before for tomato sauce just like you because of laziness and I remember it tasting gnarly as fuck. Also why would you make a sauce from 15 onions? It's not like you're making caramelized onion jam, you definitely don't need that many.
>>
>>7110731
I would, but I don't have any onions left. I'll just eat shit tonight and do it again correctly later.
>>7110734
I was going to make it from 3, but after I puréed it they gave me a lot less than expected, so I puréed more and more until I ran out and the grand total was 15. They were on the smaller side as onions go, of course.
>>
>>7110673
That "sauce" looks like my dog puked hot asphalt. Please don't serve it to anyone
>>
>>7110673
>onion sauce
I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing...
>>
>>7110714
>It's more of a "raw onion" bitterness
If that is actually the case and they aren't burned tasting, it's likely they completely oxidized because you pureed them. You actually changed the chemical composition of the onion by destroying them so thoroughly. Oxidized sulfur compounds become extremely bitter. It's the same process that makes minced garlic much stronger tasting than whole/shaved garlic.

Your laziness has ruined your sauce and there is no way to fix it.
>>
>>7110759
Too late. The family's over for Thanksgiving. I'll just serve the steak sauceless.
>>
>>7110763
Well, at least I know what not to do next time. What's the easiest way to chop onions without a food processor?
>>
>>7110774
A chainsaw.
>>
>>7110774
I've seen lazy people 'chop' onions with a food processor with no major problems.The pieces will be inconsistent. You just can't puree them. I would just use a knife though.
>>
>>7110774

A knife? Seriously chopping onions is the most common thing in cooking, if you can't do that you should reevaluate your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXtDYOso1o
>>
File: how to cut an onion.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
how to cut an onion.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>7110774
You're welcome, friend.
>>
>>7110827

Just make sure you're using a butter knife
>>
File: ZlWuOuW.png (23 KB, 998x851) Image search: [Google]
ZlWuOuW.png
23 KB, 998x851
>>7110714
>15 onions.

wat...
>>
>>7110764
you served steak with a sauce you had never made before nor had a recipe for thanksgiving?
>>
>>7110699
Dont puré the onions just let them cook slowly in butter theyll have a much better texture and taste. Just finish with the wine so its not too powerful. You should add some garlic and fresh thyme in the mix too so its dope af
>>
>>7110673
I can't remember if it's sweet or sour that cancels out bitter, but either adding honey or adding lemon should assist you.
>>
>>7110673
I think it's burnt anon
Onions only get sweeter when caramelized
Next time just slowly caramelize them, add a little beef stock & thyme, puree, add roux & maybe a little cream or butter to thicken
>>
>>7110673
the fuck is this? just make a demi sauce you mongoloid.
>>
>>7110764
go to the cornershop and get one of those cheeky jugs of "whiskey sauce", it'll be better than nothing
>>
>>7110748
>I'll just eat shit tonight and do it again correctly later.
Please do faggot.

Is that what you call an emergency thread? Not having good sauce for your fucking steak?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.