[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My 20 year old microwave just failed today. Perfect timing for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 132463634.jpg (27 KB, 775x501) Image search: [Google]
132463634.jpg
27 KB, 775x501
My 20 year old microwave just failed today. Perfect timing for a new one since black Friday is right around the corner.

What brand/model of microwaves should I buy?
>>
Why don't you just fix it?
>>
>>7109746
>self-repairing a 20 year old microwave yourself with no technical expertise

Microwaves are pretty dangerous to repair, and calling someone to fix it would be a pointless waste of money that could be spent on a new unit.
>>
>>7109729

Don't go cheap and don't settle for less than 1200 jizzawats. They don't make them like they used too.

My 15 year old microwave outperforms my parents several hundred dollar one.
>>
>>7109750
I fixed mine.

>unplug
>take off cover
>see the burned up spade connector hooked to the thermostat on top of the magnetron
>snip snip
>crimp on new spade connector
>replace cover
Good as new. My brother's microwave that was a completely different brand failed in the same exact spot.
>>
>>7109766
This!

But if you want to buy a new one make sure it's stainless steel, bulletproof glass door, 2500 watts, and comes with a remote control or Apple/Android app.
>>
>>7109729

First off, don't buy anything on sales during black Friday. It's usually just shitty 700 watt pieces of shit.

Get something big, and over 1200 watts, with a lot of features. It'll cost you easily over a hundred, but it's worth it.
>>
>>7109778

Holy shit, if they made one like that I'd actually buy it.
>>
first tell me how much you can and are willing to spend ..then I would suggest a model if the price range you quote , also I am guessing you want a counter top model and not a above stove model.
>>
>>7109778
>bulletproof glass door

Why would I need to protect my food from bullets?
>>
>>7109788

In case you are cooking rabbits and its hunting season, duh.
>>
Op here.
>>7109766
I'd like to just quote this and say I'm too much of a pussy for self-repair:
>Careless troubleshooting of a microwave oven can result in death or worse. Experienced technicians have met their maker as a result of a momentary lapse of judgement while testing an oven with the cover removed. Microwave ovens are without a doubt, the most deadly type of consumer electronic equipment in wide spread use.
>The power supplies for even the smallest microwave ovens operate at extremely lethal voltage and current levels. Do not attempt to troubleshoot, repair, or modify such equipment without understanding and following ALL of the relevant safety guidelines for high voltage and/or line connected electrical and electronic systems.

>>7109787
A modest kind of budget, anything more than 200-300$ would start to get too much. Counter top model with the standard features like even heating and defrost, preferably large ones ranging from 1.5-2.0 cubic feet. One that'll last me for the next 20-30 years.
>>
>>7109803
>safety guidelines for high voltage and/or line connected electrical and electronic systems.
Not relevant after you unplug it. Retard.

Just take off the cover after you unplug it and look for obvious signs of damage like burnt wires. If it's already fucked, there's no reason not to look inside.
>>
>>7109778
2500 hundred watts ?
dude ..you need to lay off the crack for a bit ..
there is no U.S. home model that has 2500 watts ...that requires a 30 amp power outlet..

also it would irradiate the entire kitchen ..frying not only the food but also your credit cards , computer hard drives and problebly your brain..
>>
>>7109787
are you U.S. or ?
>>
dammit sorry I am asking OP
are you U.S . or where ?
>>
>>7109816
>also it would irradiate the entire kitchen

>I have no idea how microwaves work
>>
>>7109833
>>7109826
Canada.
>>
>>7109839
I like the Whirlpool WMC50522AS Microwave not to fancy with the tech ..but a hell of a lot of machine for about 260.00 U.S.
>>
>>7109839
also the GE Profile Series has some good models but a bit out of the prices you quoted
still a lot food/cooking machine for the money ..
>>
>>7109729
I picked up an LG 1200 watt countertop model last year after the shitty over the stove microwave that came with my house broke. I've been pretty happy with it.

This model here actually: http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-2-0-cu-ft-Countertop-Microwave-in-Stainless-Steel-LCRT2010ST/203547398
>>
Modern appliances suck dick. My grandpa worked for westinghouse back in 60's and got a ton of stuff from them, they had open house (or tent in this sense) where you could buy all kinds of products you made in the factory at factory cost. Thats like buying a 800 dollar fridge for 50 bucks now. They would take it out of your check in small payments without interest. I have the 1200 watt microwave he bought in the garage, its over 30 years old and still kicking and works better than any modern one i ever bought. Fuck china.
>>
>>7109815
Never heard of a capacitor. Retard.
>>
>>7110693
>muh spooky charged capacitor meme
>>
>>7110693
This. Most consumer electronics are safe when they're unplugged because the little bit of voltage stored in their capacitors isn't enough to hurt you. High voltage equipment like a microwave or a vacuum tube powered piece of audio equipment is another matter. Capacitors in those things can kill you even if the unit is unplugged.
>>
>>7109838
I know exactly how a microwave works you dick sucking pleb... a magnetron that had 2500 watts of power would require an enormous amount of shielding and the standard microwave appliance would be the size of a goddamned refrigerator ..
2500 hundred watts of microwave energy would most likely wipe your credit cards the minute you switched it on and would problebly stop your neighbors pace maker at the same time....
learn to engineer before you make such stupid comments ..in the age of google and youtube you have no excuse for being this fucking stupid...
>>
>>7109729
One with proper wattage and a turntable.
>>
File: l_10977017.jpg (69 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
l_10977017.jpg
69 KB, 600x532
I used to work for Panasonic as customer support. Stay away from their stuff OP, especially if you live in the UK. They only make them to last a year now.

>pic related
It's the NN-E281 model, one of their many models with known faults that they refuse to admit to publicly. This one creates a lot of condensation inside that makes the inner coating peel off and reveal layers of rust underneath. Nasty stuff.

>inb4 anyone asks
No I didn't leave them on bad terms, I just think you should steer away from their microwave ovens if you have the chance.
>>
>>7110812
i type...like this...because im a fucking moron...who is making stuff up on the spot...

there is no such thing...as a magnetron...stop making up words...

its not 2500 hundred you retard...an engineer would know that...its 2500...

2500 watts of energy would also do nothing, stop talking out of your fucking ass and read a book before coming on the internet again
>>
>>7113221
OP here, too late. I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-SN661SAZ-Stainless-Countertop-Technology/dp/B00XHEBHO4
>>
>>7113332
>no such thing as a magnatron
Not him but are you retarded? What do you think converts electrical energy into microwaves? A fucking elf that lives in the back? He's fuckin stupid about the shielding though. As far as radiation goes, microwaves need a fair bit of space to pass through a shield.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.