[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate california rolls here? Is it because they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13
File: cali baby.jpg (154 KB, 824x622) Image search: [Google]
cali baby.jpg
154 KB, 824x622
Why do people hate california rolls here? Is it because they're popular?
>>
>>7109378
No it's more they are bland and often made with trash tier ingredients because you can make it cheaply.
Plus with a variety of rolls out there you go with the most basic roll?
>>
>>7109378
I personally am a big fan of fucked up American sushi but OP's pic truly goes too far.
>>
File: motorsportsaresafe.webm (3 MB, 672x552) Image search: [Google]
motorsportsaresafe.webm
3 MB, 672x552
I've never actually had one despite hearing about them constantly. Never had any kind of sushi actually. /ck/'s hate for the california roll has inspired me to go get one today though. Looking forward to it.
>>
You guys know that Jiro actually makes California Rolls, right?
>>
>>7109405
They're really good, go for it.
>>
>>7109391
They're not really basic though, just common.

A basic roll would be something like a non-inside-out tuna roll. A california roll is:
- inside out
- often sesame seeds or roe on the outside
- multiple ingredients on the inside (fake crab, avocado, cucumber)

I'm pretty sure the hate is half because they are popular and half because people hate imitation anything.
>>
I don't hate them but they're pretty much the lowest tier on the sushi menu. Why settle for the lowly California roll when you could have something much better?

I think a lot of the "hate" is that California rolls get associated with people who don't like other kinds of sushi. It's the lowest-common-denominator thing on the menu so that's what the picky eaters are going to choose, and nobody likes picky eaters.
>>
>>7109391
This. They're the most boring, bland, roll you can get, plus they're filled with fake crab meat. If you want crab, why not get a Spider roll instead? So much better.
>>
I hate what has happened to sushi rolls since they went full mainstream because now they are made for utility and appealing to anglos

I always liked the spicy mayonnaise sauced up rolls we have here, but now every single one of them contains avocado. I'm sick of eating fucking avocados!
its not as bad as in 2011 when mango was the go-to ingredient...those were dark times
>>
Because it's intro sushi
It's the bud light of sushi
It's sushi for people who don't like sushi

I don't hate it I usually order 1 roll of it in case some of the people I'm with are sushi beginners

But whats worse is people who are like "oh I love sushi I'll get sushi with you" and you go to the restaurant and they order a Cali, crunchy Cali, tempura fried Cali and Cali with mango sauce and some other shit
>>
>>7109514
now this is fedora tipping
>>
There's nothing wrong with them, but in the past, when being a hipster was an emerging trend, people would eat California rolls and be elitist about it. Weeaboos would eat a California roll and talk about how superior Japan cuisine is, but the same weeaboo would probably balk at something as simple as squid, octopus, eel etc.

These feelings of disgust and contempt have lingered. Just like how a generation of people now see Bill Cosby as a rapist, a certain group of people will always see the California roll as the entry level trollbait it was years ago.
>>
I was just at the grocery store, I feel you can really get a good idea of americas palate by the grocery store sushi case

they had 3 fresh delicious offerings today

philly roll, which contained immitation crab and avocado for some reason

crispy california which was covered in fried onion straws

and crazy sriracha which was an awkward brown color, looked to be covered with more of those crispy onion straws. Honestly kinda resembled a crusty log of shit
>>
>>7109378
>hate california
too many faults
>>
>>7109378
Bland
I don't really care for crab or avocado
Honestly if I'm going to a nice sushi place I want sashimi.
I want to taste the fish & not a mix of filler ingredients
I want it to taste like the ocean. Uni & mackerel are great examples of it
>>
>>7109612
I bet you wear a fake silk ascot and smoke cigarettes with one of those really long filters.
>>
>>7109652

I cant shake the feeling you're making some kind of joke here
>>
>>7109669
no, I wear crocs and hawiian shirts
>>
>>7109672
He's a quaker
>>
i love me some basic cheap plebeian california roll as long as the ingredients are fresh. same with other entry level tier sushi rolls that /ck/ weebs seem to despise
>>
Because sushi eaters are among the most easily buttblasted people out there.
>>
Well in our restaurant we have cheap rolls and expensive rolls you need to have variety of prices like anything else, if people hate california rolls it simply would not exist. Check out our "Perla Negra" (Black Pearl)
>>
>>7109378
drowned in so much mayonnaise and guacamole that i don't even know what's supposed to be in it anymore

just pass me the nigiri senpai
>>
>>7109679
underraped post
>>
>>7109378
Because they barely qualify as sushi at all. In fact, what OP posted is more of a casserole. I'd expect to see it at a church potluck in nowheresville, Nebraska.

Also, I actually like seafood. Why would I settle for surimi salad and avocado buried in a roll drowning in mayo and sauce, and fucking breakfast cereal, when I can enjoy actual fish, scallops, squid, et al., simply presented?
>>
>>7111107
Well done
>>
>>7111225
Found the weeb
>>
>>7111241
>"I actually like seafood"
>OMG WEEB
I don't think you know what that word means.
>>
>>7111273
>MUH SUSHI ISNT AUTHENTIC ENOUGH

Yeah you're a pretty big weeb.
>>
File: orange pink SEX.jpg (31 KB, 700x494) Image search: [Google]
orange pink SEX.jpg
31 KB, 700x494
>>7109378
>implying salmon and tuna Nigirizushi aren't the best sushi

Come on you cu/ck/s, get with the times.
>>
>>7111280
You're the only one talking about authenticity, dumbass.
>>
>>7111290
Only weebs get this defensive when called a weeb.
>>
>>7111304
Only faggots change the subject when they get called out for their faggotry.
>>
bite sized, sweet, cruncy, covered in and full of mayo

tastes like crab, one of the easiest to eat seafoods

guess what, not everyone is ready to go on an uni adventure
>>
Where do you go for your sushi?

There is this all you can eat place nearby called Tokyo Buffet. They have a decent selection of sushi there.
It's cheap shit but it taste alright if I need my dose of sushi. It's too expensive otherwise and I'm too lazy to make it.
>>
File: sushi.jpg (98 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sushi.jpg
98 KB, 1024x768
>>7111286
Salmon and tuna are alright, but I prefer the mackerel. That lovely fish flavor.
>>
>>7111286
There was so much work that the scandies put into making raw salmon popular amongst the nips. Best respect that salmon sushi, cause it wouldn't exist without a massive salmon overload in Scandinavia.
>>
>>7111286
Tuna's great, but I'll take eel or shrimp over salmon any day.
>>
My grocery store makes sushi and they used to have awesome eel rolls but they don't sell them anymore I'm sure because not enough people bought them because "eww eel" and now all they sell are cream cheese memeifornia cracker crust mango spicy SHIT because people have garbage taste I hate them I hate you and I hate everything.
>>
Your anger is understandable
>>
>>7111421
My grocery store used to make some pretty good sushi for groc shop grub. But they ended up raising prices and people stopped buying it, so they switched to a different company and the sushi is cheaper now but it's all shit. I mean, the fish looks rotten and there's almost none of it. Even their california rolls are smaller and shittier.
>>
I don't give two shits about authenticity, they just taste awful, a terrible combination of flavors often made with bottom of the barrel pollock as well. doesn't help that I despise avocado in all it's forms
>>
I don't dislike american sushi (the kind with colorful rolls and bukkake'd sauce all over the plate). But it's a different thing from edomae zushi, and when two things bear the same name or are categorized into same box there's hate from one side to the other.

It's like some people who like pizza dislike chicago deep dish.
>>
>>7111467

One time I was kind of (very) hungover and I went to get a roll of sushi. I picked one that looked good, no gimmicks, the seaweed was on the outside like it should be... and when I finally sat down and took a bite- the meat inside was fucking chicken. It was disgusting.

It's not about authenticity- it's just that Americanized sushi isn't any fucking good.
>>
Sushi is all about the rice. Fish comes second. Designs come last, even after wasabi and nori.

Americans and westerners like to put the designs first because we don't know really know much about sushi in the first place. It's also easier to sell california rolls to plebs than it is to sell nigiri.
>>
>>7111487
Desu desu senpai
>>
>>7111107
That looks pretty nice. What's that on top of it? Some sort of cooked shrimp?
>>
Can we all agree at least that the best handroll is a handroll filled with fish eggs? It's like a ice cream cone
>>
>>7111324
MYYYYY NIGGA
>>
Hey guys my local sushi place serves something called white tuna and it's really sweet. I've tried looking it up but I don't see any species of tuna called white. What is it?
>>
>>7111599
The cook jizzed on it
>>
>>7111599
It's a deep sea fish that is banned in Japan as food, it causes your anus to leak a waxy substance
>>
Eel is the best meat for sushi
>>
>>7109514
This

California Rolls are like the Pepperoni Pizza of Sushi or the American Cheeseburger. It's the least "inoffensive" to your tastebuds and it's made with the lowest common denominator in mind. For example, if you are having a party why get the super specialty pizza when you know someone isn't going to like it? Get pepperoni, no one has any qualms with pepperoni unless they are a flaming faggot veggitarian. Or you go to a restaurant and want a burger, why get the portebollo mushroom swiss if you have never tried it before and are afraid it will taste bad? Just get what your tastebuds know, the american style cheese burger.
>>
>>7111482
Cooked or raw chicken?
>>
Please reply to me if u can see this comment LOL
4chan is confusing
And when I comment I don't have to post a pic, right?
>>
And do I get like notifications or something if someone replies to me or something lol
>>
>>7111678
>>>/out/
>>
>>7111678
>>7111679
Kill yourself
>>
File: eorimge0orimgoerinmg.png (779 KB, 811x726) Image search: [Google]
eorimge0orimgoerinmg.png
779 KB, 811x726
>>7111678
>>7111679
>>
File: filename-dragon-roll.jpg (35 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
filename-dragon-roll.jpg
35 KB, 550x366
>>7109378
dragon roll master race
>>
>>7109435
Interesting. In France Calis are made with salmon instead of the crab meat.
>>
Nothings wrong with it, its just a boring ass role to introduce someone to sushi.
I aleays see people who're too afraid to eat raw fish order it at my restaurant.
>>
>>7111592
i didnt know what a handroll was the first time i ordered one and i orderd a rainbow, shit was brutal for a first timer i didnt think i was gonna make it
>>
>>7111599
>>7111633

probably walu. in japan they say it gives you indigestion and isn't fit for consumption.
>>
>>7109378
Because it's sushi.
>>
>>7109514
>It's sushi for people who don't like sushi
/thread
>>
>>7111949
pretty much. Rolls aren't really sushi; Just fake crab smothered in mayo, wrapped in roasted seaweed.
>>
>>7109413
It might be the contrarian or maybe the phrase . "i love sushi but only eat california rolls."
>>
>>7111312
Face it. He blew you the fuck out. You're the one saying it isn't real sushi which is directly calling out its authenticity. No one cares weeb.
>>
I personally like them, cucumber, avocado and surimi, inside-out masago but sesam is fine too
When I eat sushi I always have a menu and I love me one of these rolls in that menu, along with something salmon and nigiri of any sort
prawn is pretty nice but I dislike tuna
>>
>>7111578
It is shrimp drowned in anguila sauce and lemon with fine piezes of cucumber
>>
>>7109378
>that crunchy shit on top of the sushi
god I fucking hate when places do that. I don't want crunchy shit on top of my sushi. thx
>>
>>7109378
Because it's not La Authenica Nipponesu Foodo desu Senpai
>>
>>7109378
At my job, at an upscale super market we have a Japanese/sushi area run by these Korean guys (why would any self respecting Japs live in the US?) and every sunday they give us free sushi. However, it is the cheap stuff, california rolls, stuff with fake crab and lobster. I have grown to appreciate it as free food. However, I would never pay for it. If I am paying for sushi, it i going to have legitimate raw fish in it.
>>
>>7113632
>sushi
>must have raw fish
bruh
>>
>>7113635
I just like raw fish, you have a problem with that? The free sushi I get is damn good too, but if I was forced to pay for it, and because sushi is too expensive for my poor self, I would at least want some actual fish, since I never eat it and the free stuff I get does not have any. You understand?
>>
>>7113704
Sushi is and always will be primarily about the RICE. Everything past that is secondary. You're supposed to appreciate the subtleties and unique texture.
>>
>>7113632
>why would any self respecting Japs live in the US

Same reason Asians have always come to the US.

Jobs. White Bitches.
>>
>>7113632
>yfw i brought a busty jap bitch back with me
>yfw she loves my cock
Best part it, once her work visa expires or she cheats on me ect ect i will kick her ass to the curb and get another.
Sadly I doubt she'll be as busty. Most are flat chested.
>>
>>7114088
Japs with big breasts, nice thighs, nice ass, and a nice face are a miracle of the universe. Too bad I have only seen them in JAVs.
>>
>>7114088
Why would you want to get rid of her if you found one with tits?
>>
File: 18F3DbJ.gif (894 KB, 480x256) Image search: [Google]
18F3DbJ.gif
894 KB, 480x256
>>7111479
>edomae zushi
>>
>>7109410
Jiro isn't really the standard of excellence in Sushi
He's the "best", and him having a documentary shouldn't confuse you poor millennials into thinking that Western accolades mean anything

That's like listening to your local magazine for "the best" taco truck
>>
>>7114197
I dunno man, I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a gourmand's world-class palate to know a good taco when they taste one...
>>
Who /SpicyYellowtailRoll/ here?
>>
I've only ever eaten supermarket sushi.

Because of this thread, I'm going to go to an actual sushi restaurant and try their sushi tomorrow.

It will probably be a waste of money but I have to try it.
>>
File: TapewormImg_1391.jpg (24 KB, 550x249) Image search: [Google]
TapewormImg_1391.jpg
24 KB, 550x249
>>7114348
Enjoy your parasites dude.
>>
>>7114357
Thanks, I will!
>>
>>7114348

>i've only eaten supermarket sushi

let me guess, flyover?

jesus americans are SO inept
>>
I'd love sushi more, but I am just not a fan of seaweed.
>>
File: chirashi_don.jpg (132 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
chirashi_don.jpg
132 KB, 500x281
>>7114481
Most sushi places will have Chirashi Don, a bowl of sashimi over rice. No seaweed to be found.
>>
>>7114348
>I've only ever eaten supermarket sushi.
This stuff is pure and overpriced garbage, seriously
Enjoy your Sushi tomorrow because it'll be a whole new world.
I bought premade Sushi in a box from a somewhat cheap fish fast food restaurant just for comparison and it tasted like shit compared to actual good Sushi.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (193 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
193 KB, 2048x1365
>>7114481
get the nigiri
heck, skip the rice too and get sashimi
>>
>>7114260
Be careful ordering spicy rolls, the bad places just mash up the bad cuts of fish and serve you that
>>
>>7111324
mackeral is really good, shame more people don't eat it. Im tempted to make my own fucked up sushi like a Russian roll with shredded beet and smoked herring, maybe some cheap caviar on top.
>>
Best roll I ever had was a yellow dragon roll. I can't remember what was in it but it's deep fried with some sort of mango sauce drizzled on top and fuck it's good

Cali rolls aren't terrible, I usually get one when I order sushi because it's cheap and filling, and I have it before I eat the good shit so the good shit tastes even better.

Nigiri sushi is the best. If you deny that fact you have shit taste and should go fuck yourself with some chopsticks.
>>
Y'all fuckers obviously havent heard of mexican sushi. It's even more of an abomination than American sushi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDtGc1SPlc
>>
>>7109413
not even contrarian, fake crab meat is just processed fucking garbage for you food that tastes like garbage. California rolls do not taste good, they're nasty. They're "popular" specifically BECAUSE they're the cheapest thing on every sushi menu, because they use shit fake ingredients in them. Of course processed plastic reddish petroleum jelly is cheaper than fish. The fake crab aka rubber/plastic is then mixed with MAYONNAISE. Nothing about them tastes good, and people who like them generally have a shit palate
>>
>>7115562
Mexicans aren't really expected to make good sushi though.

America has a large enough Asian expat population, you'd think someone would know how to make sushi on the coast somewhere. I feel bad most of the 52 states will never know what fresh sushi tastes like.

I was in Miami last year and we went to a sushi restaurant. It was some sort of Americanized chain sushi place (srsly what the fuck) but it was the only sushi restaurant around. The server was Italian and there was some sort of hispanic cooks in the kitchen, no Asian/Japanese people. Predictably it was fucking terrible.

I have a friend in a band who tours around the US and he says there's pretty much no point in even trying for good sushi there
>>
>>7111280
kek retard detected
>>
File: 1375294739462.jpg (60 KB, 420x443) Image search: [Google]
1375294739462.jpg
60 KB, 420x443
>>7113720
Fucking finally someone who knows what sushi is all about.
>>
File: IMG_5354.jpg (64 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5354.jpg
64 KB, 600x400
What's the origin of the tempura shrimp roll? It feels very California. Though honestly as far as favorite sushi goes, that or inarizushi are tied for best for me.
>>
>>7115603
Honestly, it depends on where you are. Many places just haven't ever had a sizable enough Japanese population for sushi to take and so it's only popped up there in the last 15 years and it's all horrible.

Luckily I live in a port city so we have tons of Vietnamese and Japanese. Even big grocery stores just hire trained sushi chefs to come in for a few hours a day and prepare shit for them.
>>
>>7111653
The 'basic' form of sushi would be something like salmon or tuna nigiri. California rolls are like the Chicken McNuggets or Kraft Singles of sushi.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.