[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I want to get a gift for a friend who loves coffee, any ideas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: chemex_moma.jpg (3 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
chemex_moma.jpg
3 MB, 3888x2592
so I want to get a gift for a friend who loves coffee, any ideas?

coffee itself is also fine
>>
>>7109141
mutual interest
what does your freind use to brew?
do they have a grinder?
>>
Starbucks gift card
>>
>>7109141
A punch in the face
>>
Good coffee grinder, maybe a nice stovetop coffee percolator?
>>
>>7109141
sauce on the mugs?
looking for a good one but the only ones i like are at urban outfitters
>>
>>7109141
some fancy coffee roasters have coffee subscriptions
>>
Moka pot.

They're not expensive.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (110 KB, 1080x621) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
110 KB, 1080x621
A coffee enema kit.

If he doesn't like it, tell him to shove it up his ass.
>>
>>7109141
You can't really gift enthusiasts anything.
If they wanted a grinder, they would have already bought one.
If they wanted fancy coffee subscriptions, they would have one already.
>>
>>7109543
He's not too big of an enthusiast, probably like an entry-level coffee brewing person. Like not that dude who never drinks Starbucks but could probably taste the difference between really good coffee and just like solid coffee.
>>
File: DSC01161.jpg (84 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
DSC01161.jpg
84 KB, 600x399
>>7109543
Coffee enthusiast here, that's not really true.

For instance I kind of wouldn't mind one of these doodads, but I can't really justify buying one for myself because I think I'd probably use it a few times and then never touch it again.

Nonetheless if someone gave it to me as a gift it would be totally sweet.

A lot of practicality-minded enthusiasts of various subjects have something that they think is really neat, but don't buy because it's totally frivolous and the price/performance ratio is poor. Vacuum tube amps for audiophiles, cult wines for winos, jnat stones for knife autists, etc. Those kinds of things make for ideal gift material.
>>
coffee
>>
>>7110334
Seriously. Find a local roaster, OP
>>
File: 2a01_caffeine_mug.jpg (50 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
2a01_caffeine_mug.jpg
50 KB, 600x615
>>
If someone gave me a half pound or pound of 100% Blue Mountain coffee, I'd be a rather happy person.
>>
>>7110355
The problem with this is that there's quite a bit of fake stuff out there

A reasonably well informed coffee enthusiast knows who to trust and who not to trust

A person who has to ask 4chan is going to make a mistake and buy 2 pounds of stale blended garbage

And then the recipient has to grit his teeth and grin and be grateful, while feeling bad about the whole situation
>>
File: bestcoffee.jpg (4 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
bestcoffee.jpg
4 KB, 140x140
>>7110346
get him this with the but replace the molecule on it with heroin or arsenic or something and don't tell him.

also pic related, my favorite
>>
File: 96 (2).jpg (56 KB, 521x382) Image search: [Google]
96 (2).jpg
56 KB, 521x382
>>7109141
>so I want to get a gift for a friend who loves coffee, any ideas?

Does he take it...black?
>>
>>7110415
if you are under the age of 18, discontinue browsing immediately
>>
Bath and body works has an amazing smelling "Italy" espresso candle that I bet they'd love. It smells so fucking good
>>
>>7110425
You're probably better off going with something like this. If they love coffee to the point of being an "enthusiast" or whatever, they probably already have their favorite bean and brew method.
>>
>>7110195
>>7110261
My point is that they probably know what's good and if you're not as informed as them, you'll end up buying some shitty entry level thing that they won't even use.
>>
how about some fancy coffee that comes in the mail all the time?

Barrington Coffee Roasters used to do that.
>>
get the cheapest and shittiest looking coffee from the supermarket, empty out the container and put some good coffee in it.
>>
Find a beekeeper, buy some set honey. It won't be expensive and it'll probably be appreciated.
>>
>>7110195
I would recommend not buying him beans unless you ask him first, but getting him something like an Aeropress (if he already has one maybe get him a metal filter for his) or a Kalita Wave, a V60, or a portable hand grinder like the Hario slim for when he travels. I would also look at some cheaper scales for coffee that are accurate to a gram or preferably .1 of a gram. Goose neck kettle is also a good idea if he already does pourovers and somehow doesn't have one.
>>
>>7109141
>friend who loves coffee

ugh, is there any worse kind of """friend"""?
>>
>>7112269
not everyone who loves coffee is a prick, I'm a huge coffee enthusiast but if my friend wants to go to Starbucks and get a caramel latte with extra whipped cream more power to him.
>>
>>7109141
Whole bean coffee + a grinder
Or just the grinder
A french press
>>
Here, and if they have Majestic Bali Kintamani, get that. Your friend will owe you their life.

http://www.oldcrown.com/
>>
>>7109151
not a terrible idea if they live in seattle. the reserve/roastery is p nice.
>>
>>7109141
Potter here. Get your friend a nice handmade mug or two from a well-publicized local craft show. This is where you're most likely to find the good ones. The ones that feel so good in your hand that they put mass-produced ones to shame. Of course this involved touching and feeling them lots. That's a good thing though. Plus, it'll be fun, and there's no way they already have one, because it's unique. Expect to pay roundabout $30 for very nice ones. Ideal price range for a friend-gift. I advise against online shops like etsy because you can't feel it up. You can order mugs from a potter after you know they make ones that feel good.
>>
>>7113517
Oh, and right now is the season to find lots of craft shows. Check the local paper.
>>
>>7112316
Almost exactly what I was going to say.

Get them a french press and some nice "cafetiere" ready ground coffee.

If they already have a french press then get them a grinder and some beans.

Or if you're wealthy/very generous, get the french press, grinder and beans.
>>
How do i into bulletproof coffee? Just dump two spoonfuls of butter into my mug?
>>
>>7113517
I don't think any bullshit craft fair locally-sourced organic gluten-free potter is making something nicer than my Corningware mugs.
>>
>>7114129
>pre-ground coffee
no

Baratza Encore grinder, some Jamaica Blue Mountain or Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, maybe even a scale. If you know that they don't have a chemex and/or french press get them one.
>>
>>7109141
Why don't you get them a pound of fancy coffee?
>>
File: Death Wish Coffee.jpg (69 KB, 622x758) Image search: [Google]
Death Wish Coffee.jpg
69 KB, 622x758
get him this
>>
MOSCOW MULE MUG
>>
>>7114288
well I guess you're just an idiot and a huge shit-sucking faggot, aren't ya? Have a nice life, cocksucker. Oh, and fuck your mother.
>>
Nescafé, my friend is a coffee aficionado and he valued my gift so highly that he hasn't even opened it in the 4 years since I gave it to him. He must be saving it for a special day.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.