[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of stuffing if it's not inside a turkey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
What's the point of stuffing if it's not inside a turkey gathering up all the delicious juices inside? Who came up with the idea of eating stuffing by itself? Is this another stupid vegan thing?
>>
It's just a dumb meme

Don't give it any more attention OP
>>
My reasoning is that I love stovetop stuffing and don't feel like making homemade stuffing.
>>
>>7105648
Stuffing = In the bird
Dressing = on the side

I like stuffin' muffins too...just spoon some dressing into muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes, they make individual servings.
>>
>>7105653
It's not dressing you fucking dumb American cunt you can't just redefine words end yourself you FAT FUCK
>>
>>7105658
aye
you don't even celebrate thanksgiving
>>
>>7105658

As an American I can tell you that I have no idea what the fuck he is talking about with "dressing"
>>
>>7105658
Eat shit kek...your mom is making your dinner for you.
>>
>>7105648
Broth and fat makes a nice approximation of those juices, top gets nice and crispy too unlike regular stuffing. I tend to buy smaller birds and can never fit enough stuffing inside so I make extra outside. It's always good.
>>
>>7105658
C U C K... Why don't you research something before you post you ignorant bonehead. If you aren't even American, you are irrelavent.
>>
>>7105680
I crisp mine up by brushing it with olive oil.
>>
>>7105680
Well, that makes it sound better. The problem is that vegans will be making the stuffing on the side this year so I doubt there will be any broth or fat.
>>
>>7105695
I don't see how that's a problem.
>>
>>7105695
Why on earth would you eat thanksgiving with vegans?

There are plenty of tasty side dishes that can be made vegan, but I wouldn't let them ruin my stuffing or make me eat one of those tofu turkeys.
>>
>>7105695
There is such thing as vegetable broth and non-animal fats you know.

Not defending vegans, just saying.
>>
>>7105648
Stuffing put inside the bird is disgusting. If you want delicious stuffing use my families recipe

>Toast the bread
>Cut the crust off, cut into cubes
>Lots melted butter + poultry seasoning + finely chopped onion + finely chopped celery simmered
>Mix, bread should absorb all the butter.
>>
The reason it is made more on the side now is when it is stuffed inside it is harder to get it up to a safe temperature without over cooking the turkey. It is poultry and if you can't get it hot enough you risk salmonella poisoning
>>
>>7105653
This is the universal difference if you want pure definitions. But, it's a semantics thing (or rather a pedantic thing). It's definitely not a regional thing. I read last year the search term popularity is "stuffing" vs dressing in 33/50 states. There's no good reason to stop using "stuffing" as the title really, even though we don't stuff anymore in bone-in birds. The reason we don't stuff the bird is twofold, 1) that you simply can't feed a crowd of stuffing lovers with the minuscule amount inside of the cavity and it's firmly a separate side of signifant portion, not just two bites, and 2) food scientists discovered it impedes safe cooking tests, allowing a portion of the bird to be far less done than another portion, resulting in dry overcooked outer meat before insides are proper temp and most importantly having juices at that danger zone temperature range far too long, ie Salmonella or e.coli concerns, a very great concern in modern poultry farming and long term packaging farm to table plans.

Historically, gamey, less delicious birds were stuffed to increase flavors, capture and retain drippings (nutrition) but to use up bread and oysters too. Cookbooks going back to England featured the practice from the like 15th century, I believe.

However you like your stuffing, don't get involved in the naming debate. It's always something people love to argue about,and family gatherings have enough drama. Laugh it off and let go!
>>
Stuffing is evil. Stuffing adds mass, so it slows the cooking. That’s evil because the longer the bird cooks, the drier it will be. And since the cavity is a perfect haven for salmonella bacteria, you have to be absolutely certain that the cavity is heated through to 165°F, which means overcooking at least part of the bird…which is evil. If you really love stuffing, wait until the turkey comes out of the oven, add some of the pan drippings to the stuffing, and bake it in a dish. That’s called dressing, and that’s not evil—stuffing is, though.

-Alton Brown

Once again, the South has to teach the rest of the country how to eat.
>>
>>7105727
If you can't cook a stuffed turkey and keep it moist then you shouldn't talk about cooking desu. It's not that hard
>>
>>7105729

-Not frying your turkey
>>
>>7105727
He recanted his anti stuffing rant in a later episode and made a turkey with stuffing inside. He just gets it super hot in a microwave before adding it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/turkey-with-stuffing-recipe.html

It's still better to not stuff your bird, but it's for people that like the look of a turkey bursting with stuffing.
>>
>>7105735
why would you use dashes?
>>
Of course it's not a vegan thing. Good stuffing has giblets in it. It also tastes delicious by itself, it doesn't need to be paired with an entire bird.
>>
>>7105742
Well I'm not going to use dots am I?
>>
I make my stuffing outside the bird because that's how my grandma taught me how to make it.

Take the giblets and the neck from the turkey, cover them in water, and simmer them until the liver is cooked. then chop the liver into small bits and discard the rest of the giblets/neck. mix the chopped liver with bread cubes, celery and onion. Pour enough broth over the mixture to moisten it slightly. Top with lots of pads of butter and bake. Delicious stuffing with the taste of the bird but no risk of overcooking your meat while undercooking your stuffing.
>>
>>7105759

>>lrn2imply
>>
>>7105648
What kinda fucking turkey are you eating that has juices in it.
>>
>>7105876
The kind that goes, "gobble, gobble, gobble."
>>
>>7105648
i love dressing you dumb fuck, little cranberry sauce I could eat it all day

and i aint a vegitarian I gobble more meat than OP the enormous faggot
>>
>>7105648
Because I spatchcock my turkey, silly OP. So there is no inside to speak of.
>>
>>7105763

THIS. THIS GUY IS SPOT ON.
>>
File: Norman_Rockwell_Thanksgiving.jpg (34 KB, 311x311) Image search: [Google]
Norman_Rockwell_Thanksgiving.jpg
34 KB, 311x311
If you want to present your turkey Norman Rockwell style, cook the stuffing outside of the bird, then remove whatever you stuffed the turkey cavity with (onions, celery, etc) and stuff the stuffing into the bird for presentation.

Don't try and cook stuffing inside a turkey. Fool's errand -- can't be done.
>>
>>7105968
I honestly thought that's how everybody did it.
>>
>>7105648
Some people like the crispy crust from dressing or they just prefer it dry and they're p retarded but I just don't have those assholes over for thanksgiving.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.