[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ im about to order from a diner in nyc what should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Hey /ck/ im about to order from a diner in nyc

what should I get?
>>
livers and onion
>>
>>7104561
or the eggplant parm
>>
Cheeseburger with half cheese
>>
>>7104559
You're in NYC and you're ordering from a diner?! You deserve whatever crap you get.
>>
banana fritter with extra ice cream
>>
>>7104559
Depends on where in NYC but a reuben is usually safe.
>>
>>7104578
Remember his posting time was around midnight, there's not much else open at midnight even in the city that never sleeps.
>>
I've always wanted to eat at one of those famous delis where they put like a pound of corned beef on your sandwich and supposedly have really good pickles.
>>
Something cold.

Otherwise it's been sitting in a steam table all day and was prepared by dirty Greeks.
>>
Are the giant soft pretzels really that good up in NYC?
>>
>>7104559
>>7104559
Something deep fried so you know that whatever on it is now dead
>>
>>7104559
Anything as long as it's halal. We remember what happened the last time somebody a non-halal meal in New York, don't we? Nevar forget!
>>
>>7105219
NYC has plenty of 24hr places. They don't all deliver. In my neighborhood there's a 24hr diner, but also a Cuban bakery and a Mexican joint that never close. And a taco truck that will deliver until 4AM. In other neighborhoods there are 24hr Pakistani joints and other places for cabbies that usually have amazing food for cheap.

The only reason to eat diner food in NYC is a morbid curiosity about what people ate 20, 30 or even 50 years ago coupled with a willingness to overpay for the experience. Unless you're stuck on the UWS. That seems to be where old people with too much money and too little taste keep the diner thing alive.
>>
>>7105223
Me too, anon.
>>
>>7105675
Implying what you listed is worth the food poisoning.
Leave the house more. The only people who eat at those places are, Mexicans, Cubans and Pakistani people.
Plus senpai diners are AMAZING....
>>
File: punjabi.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
punjabi.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>7105852
>The only people who eat at those places are, Mexicans, Cubans and Pakistani people.
Totally not true. Pic related in the EV is always delicious and cheap. And while cabbies are most of the customers musicians, vegetarians and drunks are well represented. Been eating there for over a decade and never got food poisoning.

>i diners are AMAZING
Not so many amazing ones lift in NYC. Yeah, Joe Junior still makes a great burger. But most diners left pretty much cater to old people who are scared of flavor and any menu item that would not have been familiar in 1975. They are generally not amazing, I'm sad to say.
>>
>>7105875
Ok maybe I was a bit wrong with my statement but every NYer knows that for everyone one good specialty spot there are 1,000 ones that will get you sick.
Eh I still have to disagree. MAYBE in Manhattan but the outer boroughs still have SOME amazing spots.
>>
>>7105884
>the outer boroughs still have SOME amazing spots
You can find just about anything in this city if you go looking hard enough. I'm a little biased because I'd eaten a lifetime's worth of diner food by the time I was 25 and most of the old guard diners started closing, and the few left jacked up their prices to the level of good restaurants. The only folks I know in the city who still enthuse about diners are middle aged (or older) picky eaters.I don't see anything exciting about diner food in 21st Century NYC. If I'm feeling retro in the outer boroughs I'll get some old school Italian American.
>>
>>7105949
people that know things about NYC always sound like tv show characters to me

are you a struggling writer trying to balance work and relationships and getting into wacky adventures?
>>
>>7105949
Always a good pick, Although the HUGE portions that are associated with Italian food are starting to bother me.
>>
>>7105966
>are you a struggling writer trying to balance work and relationships and getting into wacky adventures?
Add musician to that and you're not too far off. Haven't had a straight job in 20 years. (Yes, the adventures were wacky, but I had to calm down eventually or I'd have been dead before middle age.) The trick is keeping your living expenses low. I bought in an unfashionable neighborhood during a down market, and now the city is my fucking playground. And I can live on the money I make as a creative, because my expenses are under a grand a month. I do some music, a little writing and dabble in the wine business. Never have to set an alarm, and only work more than 20hrs a week when I'm making a record.

But that shit is getting tougher and tougher to pull off in a town where the average apartment costs half a mil. If I were just starting off now I'd either need a straight job or have to go somewhere else. This town is much less friendly to creatives and the middle class than it used to be.
>>
>>7105966
Good one.
>>
>>7105996
Sounds pretty great to me. I doubt I'll even make enough money to move there, but I would in a heartbeat. Like I said the only thing I know about new york is from tv, but it looks like the perfect place to live.
>>7105997
nothing in my post was a joke
>>
>>7106015
Another good one.
>>
>>7105969
You ain't kidding. The biggest reason I haven't yet hit Colandrea New Corner is because I don't want to go without ordering the splenditi Romana, which is a 1lb ball of mozzarella deep fried and dressed with lemon and anchovy. That appetizer pretty much requires four people, and it's hard to find three others willing to drag their asses out to the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn (8th Ave and 72nd).

Gonna make it happen sometime over the next few months.
>>
>>7106015
>it looks like the perfect place to live.
If you can manage not to be stressed about money it is. You need either a big income or that Holy Grail of finding a cheap place to live. Otherwise most of what you make just goes to paying your rent/mortgage, which sucks. (Been there). But if you get the money vs living situation thing worked out adventures here can be had for under $10 all the way up to hundreds, depending on your mood.
>>
>>7106025
I hear they hand make pasta in house!
The portions are HUGEEEEEEE and has an old feel to it. It really is one of the last of its kind. I would check it out but I dont have the time nor Army to help me eat my plate, lmao. Yeah that area is infamous for being good for one thing...its bars...
>>
>>7106069
It really isnt all that great. If you can land a job that allows you to live in the city you can have some fun. Otherwise you can always live in a outer borough and save all that money and use transit,which despite the shit it gets for being slow it manages to be one of the best in the area..dont forget they move a fuckton of people 24hrs a day
>>
>>7106085
I did make it to Joe's of Ave U last year, and that was a great old school warhorse. Bamonte's is still going strong as well.
>>7106103
Brooklyn is catching up in terms of being where it's at. Back when I lived here in the 90's I was always in Manhattan, so I eventually moved there. When I came back Brooklyn had become a different world. Now there's tons of shit going on here, but some of the old school places are still here (unlike Manhattan, where they're almost all gone). And when I need to get into the city it's a 15min ride on the subway. But there's so much shit going on in Brooklyn it's sometimes hard to drag my ass into Manhattan.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.