[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poor college student here, I got some pots and pans at a yard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: picture.jpg (334 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
picture.jpg
334 KB, 640x1136
Poor college student here, I got some pots and pans at a yard sale yesterday but the non-stick coating is scratched off pretty much on the pans, is there anything I can do to restore it? I know I can just use oil and non-stick spray but I am just wondering if there is some trick to making them non-stick again.
>>
File: picture (1).jpg (381 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
picture (1).jpg
381 KB, 640x1136
>>7099744
Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but there might be rust on them as well?
>>
Throw it out, buy a cast iron pan
No way to salvage a ruined teflon pan. You can use them to kill birds and yourself by cooking with it
>>
>>7099767
Unfortunately that isn't in my budget
>>
>>7099774
>$20
>>
>>7099774
Teflon isn't good for you when its coming off, the nonstickness isn't the issue. Save up and buy a single cast iron pan, or stainless steel. Yard sales may have nice cast iron too, or ebay or something. Don't use a nonstick once it starts peeling, not worth the risk.
>>
God damnit
>>
>>7099744
those don't look like they have much wrong with them?
>>
>>7099786
Also try auctions in small towns. I won two really good cast iron pieces at an auction two years ago.
>>
>>7099767
Are cast iron pans difficult to look after? I really cannot be bothered going through some intense cleaning ritual every time I decide to use it though.

I seriously cannot find 1 single decent (keyword: decent) stainless steel pan in the UK for a reasonable price. I've spent days online looking, but I found a Lodge cast iron pan for a cheap price and they seem to have good reviews everywhere
>>
>>7099847
Nope, super easy. Just make sure you season it and after you cook, scrub it clean, dry it, and wipe a light coat of oil in it. That's it. Just cooked 2 salmon fillets in my lodge cast iron. It's cheap, versatile, and easy to maintain. Will last forever.
>>
>>7099847
Just scrub it and oil it after you're done. Don't use soap.
>>
>>7099929
Season it how often?
>>
>>7099940
soap won't damage seasoning.
>>
>>7099943
Once in the oven. If you cook with it everyday, after washing and oiling the pan, bring it to smoking point. It's the stovetop seasoning that improves it. Ive only baked mine once.
>>
>>7099954
It's not about damaging the seasoning, but it gets into the pores and makes your next dish taste like soap.
>>
>>7099990
Uh, no, no it doesn't.
>>
>>7099943
You don't even have to oil it every use and it will still hold up like a fucking champ. Just don't let it soak and you'll be fine. If you want shit to really not stick, oil it.
>>
>>7099744
A new one costs like $9. Stop being dumb.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.