[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When they make hamburgers in steakhouses, do most of them use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: hamburgers.jpg (123 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
hamburgers.jpg
123 KB, 800x640
When they make hamburgers in steakhouses, do most of them use only meat, or do they also put some extra ingredients inside the ground meat, such as bread, onions, etc.? How do most of them make hamburgers?
(And I have another question, here in Greece there is a dish, where there are a couple of hamburger patties, just them, without buns, onions on top of them, etc. and a serving of fries in the side of them. Does that dish exist in other countries? Because I couldn't find any pictures of it in english.)
Thanks.
>>
>>7097610
Germany says you must pay debnts before you can know the secrets of Hamburger steaks.
>>
>>7097610
Oh and I forgot, do most of them use only beef, or a mix of beef *and* pork?
>>
>>7097610
I imagine every restaurant does it differently.
>>
>>7097616
Just lend me some tips, I'm gonna give them back to you next year if you still want them.
>>
>>7097620
That makes sence, but I want to know if there is something that most of the restaurants do, or is it totally random?
>>
File: image.jpg (300 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300 KB, 2048x1536
>>7097616
What happened to you Germany? You used to be cool.
>>
>>7097624
I think if McDonalds can make hamburgers entirely of meat, I don't see why restaurants would add filler to their burgers unless they absolutely had to. Onions are toppings, usually raw or carmelized, and the bread would be the bun.
>>
>>7097610
the dish you are referencing is either steak hamburg or salisbury steak (the hamburger patties onion/gravy and fries)
>>
>>7097637
I see, but I was trying to make meat only hamburgers and they tasted nothing like those of mcdonalds, like really like night and day.
And that's why I was thinking that when they say they use 100% beef in their hamburgers, maybe they mean that the percenatge of the meat they use is 100% beef, but then they add other stuff to that meat.
Anyway, I don't know. But if they indeed use only meat, I would very much like to know how they make good tasting patties with only meat. Because for me it was impossible and I tried many things. It always tasted nasty.

>>7097646
Thanks. Either that or "Hamburger steaks" the anon above wrote.
>>
>>7097610

>>7097646
this
salisbury steak

>>7097610
Also, I've never been to a steakhouse that adds egg and bread to their burgers. It's a great way to stretch out the meat (not unlike blood sausage), but when you do that you are basically making meatloaf. That "burger" becomes a meatloaf sandwich. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not a burger proper.
>>
>>7097662
stick to lamb, dimitrios
>>
>>7097665
>That "burger" becomes a meatloaf sandwich. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not a burger proper.
That's exactly why I too wanted to make them with only meat, but see this >>7097662.
I reached wits end.
>>
>>7097671
lol
I have been bored of lamb.
>>
>>7097610
you use beef that's 85% which means it has 15% fat

season with salt and pepper only. some people like mixing in chopped onions but I don't, I find the burgers become tougher the more you mix the meat
>>
>>7097673
Oh, that's been a thing since the 80's. My dad got all up in arms about it. They were cutting the beef with soy proteins. I'm not sure that they do it anymore.
But what I mean is that adding a grain (I like to use oats in my meatloaf) to beef and then using egg to wet it up... it's meatloaf.
I would like to think that a proper steakhouse would make their own grind of beef for their burgers. Say, one part brisket, one part chuck, one part rib - or something like that.
When you bite into it, you should be able to tell.
If it's soft and doesn't give a lot of chewy, then it's meatloaf. Y'know?
>>
>>7097702
I tried that but it was dry as hell and with a boring taste (except for the salt and pepper). I don't know how much was the fat percentage, but I told the butcher I want it really fatty.
I also tried that without putting salt and pepper inside the patty, but only on the outside, in order for it to not become, but it was still almost the same.
I also experimented with various stages of doneness, no success with that too.
They always come out dry, or almost dry. (until now, I have used only meat and dry seasoning. Never bread, onions, vegetables, etc.. That's why I'm thinking of trying it, although I wanted to avoid it.).
>>
>>7097717
*to not become dry
>>
>>7097717
honestly anon I've never had any of the issues you've had
try putting about 1/4 tsp Montreal steak seasoning into your patties before cooking them. It's got garlic and onion bits that really accentuate beef flavor since it seems you're buying sup-bar cow
>>
>>7097728
Ok thanks, maybe I'll try it, but I doubt that I will find it.
How do you make yours, in the oven or on the skillet?
Do you use both beef and pork, or only beef? I haven't tried beef and pork yet, I've been told it might be a little bit juicier.
>>
File: hamburger steak.jpg (98 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
hamburger steak.jpg
98 KB, 1000x563
>>7097610
>there are a couple of hamburger patties, just them, without buns, onions on top of them...

Hamburger Steak.

I'm from the midwest, and it's usually one large patty, not necessarily smothered in anything (but can be). If it is, gravy, onions, mushrooms are the most popular (all three or separate), and mashed potatoes are usually the side, and a salad. It was very popular at diners back in the day. I still see it at a few old school ones.

I don't believe a good burger should have anything but ground hamburger in it, whether it's from a steakhouse or not. In my opinion, most steakhouses would keep the recipe simple and have high quality meat in the grind and no added bread, meat, eggs. Anything else and you're in meatloaf territory anyways.

I just googled "hamburger steak" and most of the pictures look like salisbury steak, which might be what you're looking for instead.
>>
>>7097733
Hi
I'm >>7097716 not >>7097728
But ground pork is usually 80/20, like your beef should be. The only thing that mix would do is... overwork the meat while you are combining them.
This channel is complete cringe, but this guy is knowledgeable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seLgqS2A_y0
>>
>>7097610
80/20 ground beef

MAYBE a touch of ice water, then form into large patties. Salt and pepper generously, then griddle to medium. Don't press down on the patty with a spatula; it makes a satisfying noise, but can dry out the meat.

If you're finding your burgers dry, you're overcooking them or using meat that's too lean. Or both. You want your burgers about 3cm thick and 11-12 cm across. Sear 'em hot so you get a nice crust. If you're grilling, set up a two-zone fire and start them low for about four minutes a side, then sear a minute a side over the hot coals.
Pay denbts
>>
>>7097610
>Does that dish exist in other countries?
In France it's called a Steak Haché
>>
>>7097754
Thanks. Yes that's the dish I was talking about. Although with only meat I have the problems I said here >>7097662, >>7097717.

>>7097758
That's a good one!!! Thanks!

>>7097785
>>7097796
thanks bros
>>
for every half pound of meat (4 burgers) i put one egg white and full egg, salt, tbs milk, flour.
pan with butter, med-low heat. one at a time, clean pan every time aka towel clean. Bacon, fully rendered, prepped is heated through.
mushrooms- Pan hot as possible.Dry pan. Thick slices. 1 min each side, salt, basted in butter. Prepped. Heated through when needed. Onions, in food processor for a long time, becomes almost pasty. Drain with strainer, reserve juice for eggs the next day. Low heat, corn oil. Caramelize. Heat through when needed.

Put together.
>>
>>7097826
That sounds good too.
>>
>>7097838
Good luck on your journey.
And look at my horrible thread here that no one looks at and I'm really sad >>7097402
>>
>>7097891
lol nice
>>
>>7097901
Well... say it there!
I could use a bump.
Feeling lonely in there.
>>
>>7097838
thanks
>>
Ive also heard it referred to as a" chopped steak".
>>
>>7097610
A proper hamburger patty is made only with ground beef, salt and pepper.
>>
>>7097662
They use chemicals man come on
>>
>>7099738
That's dry as hell and colorless nasty tasting.
>>
they just use a large, dense patty with high fat content, so it's big, savoury, and juicy
>>
>>7099738
Nobody gives a fuck what is traditionally right when better tasting alternatives exist.

I bet you have Italian ancestry.
>>
>>7097662
The secret is salt
>>
>>7097610

In the USA, most every restaurant uses ground chuck for hamburgers. It's the shoulder cut of the cow. It is very uncommon for a restaurant here to use pork in the burger.

The Greek dish is probably Salisbury steak. It's common here, moreso in the Southern US. It is typically made with a filler and pre-seasoned.

As for the content of the burger, it is most common to only use beef, and to season the outside of the meat patty immediately before cooking. Typically it's seasoned just with salt and pepper, or a specific blend of spices to make a 'themed' burger, like S.W. Ranch or Black and Blue, etc.

Some restaurants do use fillers like bread and milk or mayo, but it is far less common. This is because the hamburgers are typically cooked to the requested temperature. Milk and bread are great to keep a well-done burger moist and soft, but if you cooked the same meat mixture to rare, it would be disgusting, soggy bread gloopy doopy. And it wouldn't look right either.

You will never, ever, ever EVER be able to recreate a McDonalds burger at home without a chemistry degree and at least a hundred thousand dollars. The taste is unique, and is a combination of spices and artificial flavoring that only McDonalds produces. These spices are not sold in the store or distributed. They are used only for the burgers. Just get McDicks or make a proper hamburger that doesnt have formaldahyde in it.
>>
>>7101103
It's not, I was told about that too and I tried different kinds of salting, from medium, to a lot. It was saltier but not juicy, or better tasting, like a nicely roasted meat, or those made at restaurants.

>>7101136
I see.

As I see it, this video >>7097758 is really good, I had already been careful about all that stuff though, except for adding ingredients inside the ground meat, like vegetables, which might make it a lot juicier without making it like a meatloaf, which I want to avoid too. And the other thing left to try aside from that, is telling the butcher to give me meat with a LOT more fat. Maybe I wasn't so careful at that either (although I did stress it to him, he probably didn't get how much I was talking about).
Except from those things, I had taken all the other things into consideration, because I was quite meticulous.
I don't know maybe I'm doing something wrong that I can't figure it out, probably I should hire a personal cooking instructor or something to watch me and tell me what I'm doing wrong, lol.
>>
>>7101362
add MSG, sear it properly and baste with butter on low to finish
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.