[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the Audio Technica M50 of kitchen knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Gybeinfinity.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Gybeinfinity.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
What's the Audio Technica M50 of kitchen knives?
>>
Dixie
>>
>>7096428
What that even mean? can you post pic or link?
>>
probably some decent brand but one of their worse products
>>
>>7096415
cutco
>>
>>7096440

He means what knife does the community agree to best value for money at the threshold of diminishing returns.

For graphics cards the equivalent would be 970/390.
>>
Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife
>>
>>7096465
With that definition it has o be something really cheap because for knives the point of diminishing returns is very low. Maintenance is the more important factor. That in mind I'd suggest this
http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-KP-08-German-Steel/dp/B006ZC90VC/

Imo better than fibrox and not much worse than $150 whustofs
>>
Global G2 or Tojiro DP.

The Tojiro gets posted most often, but unlike the G2 I've never seen anyone post who actually owns one.
>>
>>7096513
Holy shit the Global G2 is VERY expensive.

i really hope it's worth it because i want to buy it as a gift for my mom
>>
you want an overpriced knife that was still adequately priced about 5 years ago?
>>
>>7096415
>not SM57

This is a bait thread
>>
>>7096509
I would never buy a chef knife that isn't full tang - seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, 9" is absolute minimum.
>>
>>7097371

>a gift for op's mom
>9" is absolute minimum

8" is pretty much the perfect size for most people. Only tryhards go over 9", at which point you might as well just buy a fucking sword and hack at your food.
>>
File: 5200025.1.jpg (71 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
5200025.1.jpg
71 KB, 550x412
>>7097371
>never buy a chef's knife that isnt full tang

Thats a fucking stupid opinion, full tang is only needed on hunting knives you're planning on abusing the shit out of by chopping down trees. if you manage to break the handle off a kitchen knife then its either a serious manufacturing defect or you are doing something seriously retarded with it in your kitchen.

Also to answer OP, an 8 inch Victorinox Fibrox is pretty much the ATH M50 of the chef knife world. if it is a gift for someone then you might want to spend a little extra for the rosewood handle version as it looks much nicer. For around $50ish you'll get a knife made of good quality durable steel (used by much more expensive makers) and my favorite part is the blade is polished up to a semi mirror finish rather than having ugly vertical grind marks in it like most chef knives.

>>7096522
Definitely do not get something like a global G2 or a Tojiro for your mum unless she is experienced and knows how to take care of a knife, japanese knives are generally made of much harder steel than western style knives which is great if you look after them, but they will easily chip if used by someone improperly. Where a japanese knife would chip if used on a granite counter or chucked in the dish washer, a knife like the victorinox would just get dull or have a small knick in the edge which sharpening will fix
>>
>>7096415
Why do you want a meme knife
>>
>>7096513
Dude like everyone in /ck/ has one
I have two
>>
>>7096478
This

Best bang for your buck. Remember to get it sharpened once in a while
>>
>>7097787
>Dude like everyone in /ck/ has one
I have two
Where shall we begin?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.