[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you guys actully work in resturants? And i dont mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: frantzenvideo.jpg (231 KB, 1000x611) Image search: [Google]
frantzenvideo.jpg
231 KB, 1000x611
How many of you guys actully work in resturants? And i dont mean shit tier resturants like fastfood or chains
>>
>>7095063
Sous chef at TGI Fridays. It's a demanding job.
>>
Very occasionally I help out foh at my dad's place, but I'm a hideous mushroom person so I hate doing it.
>>
>>7095063
I'm a server at a local southern joint.

I hate the linecooks and our "head chef" is an Aunt Jemimah type old black woman who is merely there as a gimmick to make the food seem special. The entire place is wacky.
>>
>>7095079
The fuck is a mushroom person?
>>
>>7095082
Found mostly in dark basements.
>>
>>7095076
>and i don't meant shit tier restaurants like fast food or chains
can you not read?
>>
Im doing an intership at a top 50 resturant c:
>>
>>7095093
I know I guy who works at a Ruth's Chris. He is a complete degenrate lowlife who has said he has either spat or intentionally dropped food on the floor and served it to customers he didn't like.
>>
>>7095063

Well, I'm a bartender at various ones (I kinda stay away from nightclubs because serving an endless row of red bull vodkas kills the man). Did about 3 years as a prep cook though (which is also why I quit, I have no formal training so no other place would hire me and there were no room for advancement at that place either). I prefer the bar tbqh.
>>
>>7095063
2nd year apprentice chef at a 4 star hotel
>>
>>7095097
I'll be eating at a Ruth's Chris next week.

I suppose I'll be agreeable with the staff.
>>
Serving for the first time at an upscale bowling alley/restaurant.

Before that spent 4 years on the line in a lot of places.

Any tips to get those mad tips?
>>
Chinese, surinamese, indian and indonesian takeout and restaurant. Really demanding and it's a family business. Yes I am calculator people.
>>
>>7095495

There are "upscale" bowling alleys? As for tips, be a suckup but not an obvious one, check up on customers with regular intervals but not so often that it's annoying, don't be a cunt and do light banter.
>>
File: camera-p.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
camera-p.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7095503
Yea, it's a joint called Pinstripes. Food there sucks, over sauced, and is overpriced imho.

During my first two days I could barely greet a table without my spaghetti spilling everywhere, or sperging out, but on the third I was clearing tables and being suave af
>>
>>7095503
I went to one in France. Shit was weird, but the food was good. There was some regional potato thing with cheese and caramelized onions.
>>
>>7095063
Worked in food industry for 12 years.
Started in a small Pizza shop, managed a high volume Domino's.
job sucked, wanted to get into an actual kitchen.
Move my way up to a hotel kitchen, wasn't enough work, so I got a side job at a fine dining place.
Fine dining was much more exciting, laid back, etc.
Money wasn't good for amount of work.
Became a welder instead, make three times more, work less. More time to enjoy home cooking.
End.
>>
>>7095753
How did you get into welding?
>>
>working in resturants
why would anybody do this
>>
>>7095063
I run the kitchen at Wendy's. I guarantee I do more work than most of you.
>>
>>7096126
Got offered to go into school. Took the offer, got a large student loan.
right out of school I got into a good union, and decided it was a lot more stress free work and it was enjoyable.

In a way the concentration I had to put into some of the dishes at the restaurant I could relate into welding, just when you weld you don't have other idiots around you yelling or asking you questions.
>>
>>7096225
>just when you weld you don't have other idiots around you yelling or asking you questions.
>claims to be in a union
you sure about that?
>>
I'm a chef at wendy's
AMA
>>
>>7095063
Nope, University student here.
>>
>>7095063
Do mom and pop count as shit tier?
>>
File: 1447174475763.jpg (43 KB, 453x294) Image search: [Google]
1447174475763.jpg
43 KB, 453x294
>>7096174
>kitchen
>Wendy's

Pick one.
>>
I'm the official scrapple chef at my local diner
>>
>>7096244
Why doesn't Wendy's sell scrapple?
>>
>tfw getting a culinary certification from a CC
S-surely this won't be a mistake, right? Will it prepare me for the lad bantz with kitchen comrades? T B h I want to do the course even if it's overkill for getting a kitchen job, it looks really fun.
>>
>>7099615
Culinary School is good if you are looking to network and want to learn some techniques. However, It does not prepare you adequately for a commercial kitchen during service.

As long as you worked in the industry while studying "Culinary Arts", you'll be alright. Expect some shit from line cooks who are "self taught" though.
>>
>>7098438
depends on the mom and pop
>>
>>7095063
Spent 9 years in high end restaurants
Bobby flay joint
Farm to table italian place run by Colicchio's old sous chef
Another farm to table place run by people from 11 Madison & other Michelin starred restaurant
Was doing anywhere from 60 to 95 hours a week
Gave it up to work in a corporate cafe
The food isn't nearly as great but the pay is much better, it's 45 hours a week, got benefits & I don't work weekends anymore so I finally have a social life & time to spend with my kid
>>
>>7099615
In my country we have 2 kind of culinairy schools.
One where you are in school 5 days a week and learn a different dish every day or so.

One where you go to school 1 day a week and work as an intern 4 days a week.

If you pick the 5 days school type you are a stupid fuck and waisting your time.
>>
>>7099638
I am well aware of the douche stench that can come off of anyone that goes to "school" for cooking, and I am going to listen to vets in the kitchen more than what I will be taught in the courses. It's just a foundation, preparation, and resume bulking to my mind. I will be sure to ask advice from head chefs where ever I may be employed.

I worked in a kitchen for a year at a family run place a decade ago, as a dish washer/busser/general slave boy, I remember the banter and atmosphere of the kitchen and really want back in. I can live off minimum wage, too, so that's a bonus.

>>7099661
I would much rather do an intern type thing, but as far as I know, this is the shortest and least fleshed out part of the course offered where I am going, and it is the very last set of units. But this place is all I can afford, so it will have to do.
>>
>>7099668
It sounds like you are making a good decision. I cannot stress work experience and networking enough, as much as I hate sounding like a boomer.

Get work experience in high volume restaurants, if possible. Chefs love that shit. You may have to do stages, which are often unpaid.
>>
Been washing dishes at a nice spot for almost a year now, do bits of prep/line work. Hopefully I'll be a cook soon enough, unless I'm just being used because I'm good at my job and not a lazy sack of shit.
>>
>>7099689
I am fine working my way up, in fact, even after I have a certificate I would still rather start under the chef positions and stay behind after my shift or come in before my shift and help out the chef(s) on the job and prepare for a promotion. I don't want to be hired into that position and fuck up right away and have that mark against me. Aim low, climb slow, make it up safely.
>>
I've worked at a line cook at a few different decent places. It was fun and I learned a lot, but I was underpaid.

Now I work in an office as a manager for a small gourmet food distributor, so I'm still in the industry, just not slaving over a hot stove working nights and weekends.
>>
File: salmon cuke test.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
salmon cuke test.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>7099638
Recently passed the 25 year mark in the industry. Looking back at what life was like after JWU, spent a lot of time wondering if I wasted a lot of money. Nowadays, when I'm looking at resumes, the ones with school and kitchen experience mixed get the interview.
>>
>>7095063
im a delivery driver ask me anything
>>
File: 1442237225282.jpg (24 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1442237225282.jpg
24 KB, 401x372
>>7095063

I work as a line cook / baker at a taphouse. We do French cuisine and, for some reason, burgers. One of these days I'll OP and show you fucking plebs how to make a Chix / Veg stock so you can make your food not taste like such grool.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.