[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biscuits and Gravy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: biscuits gravy.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
biscuits gravy.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
Hey guys, so tomorrow morning I'm gonna try and make biscuits and gravy for the first time. I've got everything i think I need to make some buttermilk biscuits (gonna follow Chef John's recipe) and stuff to make my sausage gravy.

Anybody have any tips for me? Or suggestions? Thanks!
>>
Make it how my dad makes it.
>>
>>7094787
Cool post
>>
>>7094790
Lots of black pepper
>>
Be gentle with your dough.
>>
>>7094826
Used canned bisquits. Trailer park recipe.
>>
Watch an episode of Mary Hartman
>>
Don't fuck your gravy up. Use some fatty as fuck sausage so you have enough sausage juice to work with. Make your biscuits out of Bisquick like a real American.
>>
Make brown gravy .
>>
>>7094784

For real though Anon this shit's easy to do. Lemme break it down for you.

You got two parts. The gravy and the biscuits. Here's your ingredients

Sausage
Milk
Flour
Bisquick
Salt
Pepper

Literally all you need. I like red pepper flakes instead of black pepper, but that's up to you.

Biscuits are easy. Bisquick and milk. The directions are on the box. Purists will tell you to not do this, but they're faggots. Biscuits and gravy are American as fuck god dammit, and nothing is more American as fucking Bisquick. Make them fuckers up and get them in the oven before you make the gravy.

Gravy is easy. Slam your heat up high, and brown your sausage. Once it's browned, lower the heat down to medium low. Add some milk and flour directly to the sausage with the fat still in there. Toss in your salt and pepper. Stir it a bit. If it's too thick, add more milk. If it's not thick enough, add more flour. Do this until you have gravy and your biscuits are done.

Remove biscuits, cut em in half, and spoon the goodness on them. Easy as fuck.
>>
>>7094859
I know it seems easy as hell I just never made the gravy before but I've watched it be done . And why is everyone so against me making real buttermilk biscuits? I at least wanna try. If they get fucked I'll just open up the bisquick and do it the easy way.
>>
File: WP_20140930_004.jpg (166 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140930_004.jpg
166 KB, 1278x720
>>7094784
Not a bad recipe for biscuits, but here is how I do it. The biscuits come out a little less dense with a crispier crust. If spelt flour is available, I'd say use 2.25 cups of that.

2 cups AP flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Some salt
8 tbsp really cold butter
7/8 to 1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp butter, melted

Take your dry ingredients and mix them together in a bowl. Cube your butter up into 1/4 tbsp cubes or smaller. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. I do this by hand usually since a small amount of heat heat will help create incorporate it better. Once the mixture resembles course dirt with playground pebbles, add your buttermilk. You want the mixture to be slightly dry. Pop a piece of plastic wrap over the top and set in the fridge. Preheat your oven to 475 at this point. Once the oven is preheated, the dough should be ready to form into biscuits. Try not to manhandle the dough to much in this stage. I form them by hand using my thumb and forefinger create slugs that are about 2" wide by 1" tall. Place these in an ungreased baking sheet about 3/4" apart. Bake in oven until the uneven points on the top of the biscuit start to turn brown and the rest is golden. Brush with the melted butter.
>>
File: 3002c33.jpg (203 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
3002c33.jpg
203 KB, 1278x720
>>7094875
For your gravy, it depends on the sausage you buy. You may want to adjust the seasoning levels.

1 lb sausage
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp flour
1.2-2 quarts whole milk
1 tbsp rubbed sage
2 tsp thyme
Salt
Pepper

Crumble your sausage into a skillet and brown it. Don't mess with it too much in the pan. You want it lightly brown. Try to slowly render the sausage in the pan. Add the flour to the browned sausage in the pan and cook over medium heat until slightly toasted. Add a small portion of the milk and create a slurry in the pan. Add the milk in small portions. Each time you add the milk, fully incorporate it and let the gravy heat up a little so it starts to thicken before adding more. This is to prevent lumps. Eventually, you'll be able to pour in a large portion of milk without creating lumps. Add the salt and pepper and bring the gravy to a boil. Add the thyme and sage, let simmer on very low heat while covered and stirring occasionally. Make your biscuits and the gravy should be ready when they're done.
>>
>>7094911
I forgot to mention, add crushed red pepper to the pan a little bit before your sausage is done browning if you want it spicy. Or you could add some hot sauce on top, but that can overwhelm the other flavors at times.
>>
>>7094866
Because its a pain in the ass and instead of ruining your meal, especially your first time making this dish, you should go for the sure fire way and it tastes just as good.
If you're eating b and g and the highlight is the biscuits than you're doing it wrong
>>
Fuck everyone saying to use bisquick. Do that shit from scratch it's not that hard.
>>
don't try and get fancy with biscuits and gravy, less is more.
>>
Well ok guys it's breakfast time, so here we go! Will report back in a little bit.
>>
Don't rush the gravy, whisk the milk in a little at a time.
>>
File: 20151121_123622.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151121_123622.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Bout 7 mins in
>>
File: 20151121_124551.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151121_124551.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Well here's everything together. Damn that came out delicious. And I ended up making the biscuits from scratch not using bisquick.
>>
>>7095749
Good job
>>
>>7096055
Thank you! I really think I did pretty good for my first time. Gravy I was worried wouldn't thicken but I was whisking for 10 minutes straight not stopping. And all of a sudden it just got nice and thick.

And I don't bake, ever. So I'm pleased with the biscuits. There is no way we're going to finish the gravy though, I should be able to ziploc some now it's cooled off and just throw in the freezer right?
>>
>>7094784
I use half & half rather than milk. I don't bake, so I use frozen biscuits. Lots of black pepper. Touch of garlic powder. I like a little spice, so I've use hot breakfast sausage rather than mild. Delicious.

Ps. Don't burn the roux.
>>
File: tasty.jpg (104 KB, 857x857) Image search: [Google]
tasty.jpg
104 KB, 857x857
Mile-High Buttermilk Biscuits

Doge
2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose flour 283 g
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 T cold butter, 1/4" cubes
1 1/2 C cold buttermilk

AP flour, about a cup on a plate to roll biscuits in
2 T butter, melted, to brush on top

Oven to 500 F. Grease 9" round cake pan & a 1/4-cup disher (#16)

Flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda to the bowl of food processor. Pulse seven timesto combine. Scatter the butter evenly over the dry ingredients then pulse 8-10 times, or until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Dump the contents of the food processor into a large bowl and add the buttermilk. FOLD with a rubber spatula just until everything is incorporated (the dough will be quite wet and sticky and somewhat lumpy).

Using the #16 disher and working quickly, scoop level 1/4 cup mounds of dough and drop them into the flour on the plate. roll them in flour and gently shape it into a rough ball. Shake off the excess flour and place in the prepared cake pan. Repeat with the remaining mounds of dough, fitting 9 biscuits around the outer edge of the pan and 3 in the middle.

Gently brush the top of each biscuit with some of the melted butter (don’t press down and flatten them). Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 450 F and continue baking for another 13-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are deep golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let the biscuits cool for 2 minutes, then invert them onto a clean kitchen towel. Flip the biscuits over and break them apart. Allow to cool 5 minutes longer before serving.

(Note: Store leftovers in a resealable plastic bag and reheat at 475 F for 5-7 minutes.)

Ha! Leftovers. As if.

GOAT biscuit recipe.

Sausage gravy: open a fucking can.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.