[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: strawberry.jpg (21 KB, 420x562) Image search: [Google]
strawberry.jpg
21 KB, 420x562
>cook steak to perfection
>leave to sit for a few minutes
>eat cold steak
>>
>>7093270
ill take that bait.
the temp actually rises when it's resting.
Put it in foil to keep it warm.
Heat doesnt escape food as fast as you guys think. It'll still warm enough to enjoy the flavor.
>>
next time serve it on a hot himalayan sea salt block
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw5ggcE_Sic
>>
File: laff or krei.gif (71 KB, 399x378) Image search: [Google]
laff or krei.gif
71 KB, 399x378
>not re-heating your cold bloody steaks with boiling catsup
>>
>>7093286
>the temp actually rises when it's resting.

ayy lmao
>>
>>7093301
He's right
>>
>>7093301
It does, the heat from the inside has to conduct outwards thus raising the temperature of the outside, much like the earth warms itself. Wrap in foil when resting and you have a little oven that keeps it at much the same temperature as when you took it off the grill / pan.
>>
>>7093307
"no"

the heat source has been removed. how on earth would the temperature rise?
>>
>>7093310
If the steak is seared properly it retains the heat and continues to cook
>>
>>7093301
it does. I know what im talking about when it comes to steaks, I think.
>>
>>7093307
>>7093309
lmao you guys can be serious.

If you take a steak of a scalding hot grill, it's not going to get hotter.
>>
>>7093286
It needs to be at least 145F any lower than that it just feels cold when you bite into it.
>>
>>7093314
>If the steak is seared properly it retains the heat and continues to cook

Sure it can retain the heat and continue to cook, but that doesn't mean it's getting hotter
>>
>>7093318>
>science is wrong
>>
How's my technique;

- prep meat ahead of time, should be room temperature, and as dry as you can get it by panning and leaving on a wire grill
- raise pan temperature until oil begins to smoke*
- pat meat with fresh cracked black pepper and some sea salt
- apply meat to pan for 30 seconds, then turn
- add knob of butter to pan and turn steak twice again, 30 secs per side
- let sit, then serve

* I don't know shit about which oil to use, people tell me peanut because of the high smoke point.

in b4 can't cook steak without a grill
>>
>>7093323
well it certainly doesn't get any where near COLD as you claim oparino; ya goofed.
>>
>>7093328
I'm not OP.

His point is stupid too. A steak will stay decently hot unless you leave it resting for like 40 minutes
>>
>>7093327
That's not very clear but total time is between 1 min 30 and 2 mins depending on the thickness
>>
What people mean is that the heat from the outside of the steak takes some time to be distributed into the middle, so the middle of the steak has a slight rise in temperature as it rests. Obviously the entire steak does not increase in thermal energy.
>>
>>7093326
Let me clarify my point

Yes, you are correct, the centre will become hotter. But the overall temperature will be colder. The heat is spreading through the steak and out of it.
>>
>>7093327
After applying the knob of butter you should also use a spoon to scoop the butter up and baste the top of the steak, cooking both sides and infusing the steak with whatever aromatics you're using.
>>
>>7093342
Aromatics? I understand the term but I don't know what you would use.
If I'm adding garlic I'll de-glaze the pan and make a mushroom, onion and garlic cream sauce while the meat is resting. Just have to prep the solids in the pan before the steak.
>>
>>7093352
thyme etc I assume he means.
>>
>>7093357
>using anything but dill
>>
>>7093358
I like dill, but Thyme on a steak is far superior; dill is for fish.
>>
>>7093357
Speaking of which, tried adding thyme and rosemary to a steak and there was a lot of regret involved when my meat tasted like flowers, any suggestions as far as actually improving the flavor goes?
>>
>>7093372
yeah, skip the rosemary and pile on that thyme.
>>
>>7093372
salt and pepper,
cooked med-rare
Sauteed onion on top
>>
>>7093358
>using anything but salt
>>
>>7093352
That sauce sounds really good. Do you have anymore details on how to make it?
>>
>>7093481
Nothing special really.
Before I cook the meat I brown some mushrooms, finely chopped onions/shallots and one clove of crushed garlic.You just want to drive the majority of the water from the mushrooms and put a bit of flavour in the pan.

Take them off the heat and wait for the pan to get hot enough to cook the meat as above. Then when the meat is just about done resting add the solid stuff back to the hot pan, turn the heat down a bit and add a generous glug of single cream and continually stir until it's reduced some and taken on the light brown colour of the jus and mushrooms. I pour it straight on the plated meat and serve.
>>
File: Sous-Vide-011.jpg (66 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Sous-Vide-011.jpg
66 KB, 620x372
>>7093270
Only
>>
>>7093508
Definitely trying this the next time I make a steak.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.